“Quite A Bit Of Room For Improvement”

Red Rock Casino Resort & Spa
Ranked #32 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed June 18, 2014

The approach to the property from Charleston Boulevard is marred by ongoing construction work, which of course is unavoidable, water features etc. not working. On the face of it the hotel at first glance appears oppulent, the lobby area is very impressive, we had no problems checking in and we were given a room with a view of the strip. Our room was clean, although there were no sink basin plugs, we asked why not and were informed that all the rooms were the same and if water was needed in the the basin, you had to place a towel over the plug holes - strange when water is so precious in this area. The 'Feast Buffet' was OK but you got what you paid for and the hot food was always barely warm. We decided to eat at the Grand Cafe one night, a light snack, a club turkey sandwich on rye, and coffee each. The waiter brought the order and we began eating and discovered that the bread was as close to stale as you could get, and that there were vast amounts of fat and dark grisly turkey meat on my sandwich. I brought this to the attention of the waiter and he took my plate away stating he would inform the 'chef'. A few minutes later he returned with the check, no explanation as to what the 'chef' had said, and the check was for the full amount. I then brought this to the attention of the restaurant manager who did his utmost to embarrass me in a loud voice, and he stated he himself had examined my sandwich and found at the most there were 'four tiny slivers of fat - and this in his view was acceptable. The waiter was present and he agreed with me that my sandwich was as I described it. The manager was very confrontational and he eventually reduced the check accordingly. I brought the matter to the attention of the 2 concierges in the lobby and were shocked by the treatment my wife and I received and informed us that a report would be made to the hotel manager and he would contact us. Of course he never did. Out of principal we decided for the rest of our week's stay we would eat at the other nearby resorts.
We did try the spa facilities, which appeared to be fine, but the spa pool area left quite a bit to be desired. The padded loungers were grubby and stained and did have quite a few ants/other insects running around on them and on the floor area.
We have stayed at most of the hotel resorts over the years in Las Vegas, and we are well qualified to tell which, are the best, sadly, because of our humiliating experience we will not be praising the quality of Red Rock.

Room Tip: Ask for a 'strip view' - although the mountain view is equally as stunning.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank KenSpeak

Reviewed June 18, 2014

I really enjoyed my 3 day stay here in May. Though it was hot (90+) this establishment has many options to enjoy: outdoor pool, indoor spa pools, movie theater and, of course an outstanding casino. Their spa is the best in Las Vegas! Restaurants were outstanding and very reasonably priced. Outdoor hiking and tennis and the fact that you are out of town, not on busy and loud strip was refreshing!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We stayed at Red Rock for a week in May and would absolutely stay there again!! What a fantastic resort! We'd never been to Vegas, and we had no idea how huge the hotels were. Red Rock had everything we needed for an awesome family vacation: beautiful pool area (the main pool was great for young kids, as it had a gradual sloping entry and a platform in the middle with a big fountain that turned off and on intermittently), a food court with several options (including some healthy fare), a multiplex movie theatre, a fabulous ten-pin bowling alley, a Kid Quest child-minding centre, a small arcade, numerous restaurants/bars (loved the Yard House!), Starbucks in the lobby and in the casino (which kept my husband happy).. It was obviously a new resort, which meant that there was no mildew in the shower and no stains on the bedding or carpet. Everything was impeccably clean (well it was until my kids arrived!). Our two queen room was extremely spacious and had a nice view of the pool and red mountains in the distance. The kids adored the big bathtub with the tv above it so they could watch Sponge Bob while they turned into prunes. The service staff were always friendly and helpful. We only had a couple of minor issues that required us to call the front desk: our in-room movies didn't want to play and the housekeepers took two of my new towels down to the laundry by accident (the towels were a similar colour to the pool towels) and we never got them back. My only other complaints would be that the entertainment didn't start until late (like 10pm-ish), and the fitness centre needed some serious air-conditioning and a cold water dispenser (they provide small bottles of water, but they're warm unless you're lucky to find some on ice). The pool wasn't being heated when we were there (apparently they heat it to 78 degrees in the winter), so the water was pretty cold on the days that were a bit overcast. The food served at the poolside cafe/bar is kind of pricey, but what we sampled was delicious. It's much cheaper to eat at the food court, but you're not allowed to bring outside food to the pool. The many palm trees in the pool area provided some lovely shade on the sunny days, so renting a cabana/gazebo wasn't necessary. Large pool towels are available at the poolside for no extra charge. The main reason we chose this hotel was because it had a 5-star rating and yet the prices were very reasonable, plus it had the Kid Quest so we could drop our 2 children off (ages 4 and 8) and go for dinner/drinks. We rented a car for a mere $200/week, which made our daily trips to the strip super easy. It was only about a 10-15 minute drive along the highway to get to the strip, and we never had any issues with the traffic (until we arrived at the strip). We visited all the big hotels along the strip, and even spent one night at the beautiful Mandalay Bay Hotel (just so we could visit their wave pool), and my choice for our next family Vegas trip would still be Red Rock. It was such a perfect, stress-free vacation!! Oh, and one more thing, for a fabulous buffet breakfast or lunch (we didn't try the dinner), I highly recommend the Feast restaurant just off the casino. It was only $7 for breakfast and there was so much tasty food that I had trouble deciding what to fill myself up with!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank ForTheWeekend
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Nice hotel, good sized rooms, comfy beds. Casino is a decent size with a good variety of slots and tables.
We ate at the yard house one night - food was good, huge selection of beers, ciders, etc.
Buffet breakfast was great; huge selection and includes champagne on Sundays - get a 'boarding pass' for discounts on the buffet (cost us $14.99 for brunch).

The pool area is great; if you want a day bed/cabana it will set you back around $180. Nice though, and includes sunscreen, bottled water, chips and dip.

Overall a nice place to stay.... Although personally I prefer the sister hotel, green valley ranch - still off strip, but the pool area was nicer and there are stores and restaurants over the road if you fancy a change from the hotel facilities.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank polarbear
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Went for a work trip but brought the family. They enjoyed the pool all day while I was in conference's. We found hiking in the red rock canyon to be the highlight of the trip. This was definitely not like ay hotel on the strip but as a family destination I would recommend this much more reserved location.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 15, 2014

The hotel, grounds and amenities are 5 star excellent! The room itself was very modern and welcoming, but comparatively small. On the down side... The customer service - from the front desk to pool side bar is less than acceptable and the distance to the strip was a 30 minute taxi ride at $45 with tip. While they do offer a shuttle service, it was unannounced, infrequent and terminates before the early shows end. Getting a taxi on the strip is limited to the hotels (on the street is against the law to rider and driver) and the concierge (in control of taxi service) asks the taxi if they are interested in such a long drive out to red rock and back - just be prepared.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Going2tellyou
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Wife and I stayed at end of May. Well kept up property. Check in was slow however. Room was nice and spotless. Craps dealers were friendly. I did not win but, I never do. Pool is great. Wife and I are in our fifties so we are not into party pools. Service at T Bones was terrible. Went there for happy hour and was completely ignored by cute wait staff. Must have been hired for thier looks, no service. Service at Yardhouse was excellent. Sonny.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple