“My 4 day staycation”

Ranked #48 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Las Vegas Vegas, Nevada, USA
“My 4 day staycation”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

June 2013, I spent my staycation at the South Point Hotel. The front desk employees were very helpful and accommodating to all of my requests. The rooms were very (spacious), nice, and quite comfortable. The décor was pleasant and very nice. The rooms also had very good lighting from the light fixtures and lamps. The rooms had a pleasant wholesome feel to it. The buffet was delicious. South Point Hotel's buffet has now become one of my favorite buffets in Las Vegas. The casino floor is pleasantly nice and open so that you don't feel cramped.

I was also fortunate to have made my reservations just prior to the hotel implementing their new resort fees. So, I lucked out. I didn't have to pay the resort fee. South Point Hotel resort fee is a mandatory (non-optional) extra $14 per night per room added on to your daily room rate and room tax. This fee is not your room tax. Let me repeat, this fee is not your room tax. This is an additional $14 daily fee per room. If I had to pay that resort fee, my (two) rooms 4 night stay would have cost me an additional $156. This resort fee basically gives you free Wi-Fi access, free fitness center access, and free local/long distance phone calls. I didn't need or want the Wi-Fi access. I didn't need or want access to the fitness center. As far as the free local and long distance phone calls are concern, anyone with their own cell phone would have no need for free local and long distance phone calls. All and all, I love this hotel. The resort fee they've since implemented would be the only thing that could keep me from coming back. That is too bad, because this hotel is everything I ever wanted in a hotel. There are some Las Vegas hotels that actually advertise that they don't have resort fees as a selling point. I hope that this wonderful hotel (South Point) discontinue this charging of resort fees. Then, they too, can promote and advertise that they don't have resort fees to attract customers such as myself.

One last positive thing. There are over a dozen restaurants inside the South Point Hotel. There's also a bowling alley and a movie theater inside the hotel. South Point Hotel pretty much has everything you need or want.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
hoteloperations2013, Hotel Operations at South Point Hotel, Casino and Spa, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thanks for the great review of our property and the 5 star rating. We want you to know that we do have a resort fee and we will forward this to our management team. It really is our pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to serving you again.

Hotel Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,094)
  • Korean first
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I've stayed at the SP three summers now (and will again this summer) because I go to a conference that is held there. For a conference, the SP is great! There are plenty of places to grab food, it's not full of drunken Strip wanderers, and the meeting spaces are pleasant. Even the conference-catered food is pretty good.

As far as going for a vacation, it probably wouldn't be my first choice for a first trip to Vegas. That would be a hotel on the central Strip. The SP offers a shuttle to the Strip (which drops off near the Wynn/Treasure Island IIRC), but it's about $8 round-trip and takes about 20 minutes each way. It's cheaper than taking a taxi, in general, but your leaving/pick-up times are set.

That said, there's a lot of good things about the SP and (particularly if you have a rental car), it would be a good base for exploring.

Good:
The price - you can often get good sale rates at the SP. Even when it's not on sale, it's probably less than some of the other (and shabbier) hotels on the Strip. I think you get a lot of value for money.

Food options - there are quite a few: a deli, Mexican, Italian, steakhouse, super pricey old-school steakhouse (have been ONCE), fast food (Steak 'N Shake), seafood, buffet (mediocre), cafe, Japanese (new this year, so haven't been yet).

Casino - I don't really gamble so I can't say much about the games. What I will say is that this is one of the cleaner casinos I've encountered in Vegas. You'll smell cigarette smoke (as in any other casino), but it will be a lot less noticeable than in some other hotels. I don't know if that has to do with their circulation system or just the sheer size of the place, but it's nice.

Rooms - rooms are sort of reddish, yellowish - not super-modern, but tasteful. The beds and showers are nice and the rooms have flat screens. Not much a view since you're not on the Strip, but you can see out into the hills from some rooms. I've had three different views over the years: pool (nice), wall of the parking garage (haha), and OVER the parking garage (better to see the sky and mountains in the distance). I think you pay extra for pool views, though I didn't - I just lucked out somehow.

Amenities - they have a spa (haven't tried), a fitness center (haven't tried), and a pool (tried, but too many kids to enjoy). The pool is nice, but unremarkable - lots of kids during the day. Maybe earlier in the day or later in the afternoon would be better for those adults trying to take a swim. There is also a movie theater (never used) and a 24-hour bowling alley (have used - fun!). There is also a store there and they have decent prices on and a good selection of...booze.

Not-so-good:

Distance from other Vegas things - like I said, this can be a pro or con depending on what you want to experience.

Amenity fee - they started tacking this on just recently. It's like $14 a day per room and it gets you in-room wi-fi (which - as of last year - was $12 per day) and access to the fitness club (which was $10-$15 a day as of last year, I think) and a couple of other things that I thought were free, anyway (like the airport shuttle - you just had to make a reservation on it). We never paid for in-room wi-fi because we don't spend much time in our room and we hadn't used the fitness center. I suppose if you use both those things, it's a bargain - but if you don't, it's just a price increase.

Size - the SP is really, really big. So getting from one place to another takes longer than at some hotels. Once again, this can be a pro or con.

Bottom line: I enjoy the SP for what I go for. If you're not big on the Strip and you don't mind the size/distance, check it out.

Oh, one more thing: it's not really a hotel for romance, like the Bellagio or the Venetian. And it's not themed so no castles or dragons or clowns or Mardi Gras parades.

Room Tip: Pool views are the best.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank tlowens75
Thanks for being a valued guest and for your continued patronage to our property. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate all the feedback and we look forward to serving you again.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Spacious rooms, fun gambling, above average restaurants in the hotel, and average entertainment in lounges. Valet was very quick and polite. Quick cab ride to the strip and shuttle to the airport. The only negative is all the cigarette smoke in the casino. Not a fan of that. I'm glad we had a room on a high floor to keep the smell away.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for being a valued guest. We appreciate the feedback and we will forward this to our management team. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your overall stay and we look forward to serving you again.

Port Orchard
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We love thisplace because you don't have to leave to do anything! The rooms are very nice for the money, but when you upgrade-you get a view and you don't know that till you check in. Otherwise you look at a wall and the workers below sawing granite countertops at 8:00am in the morning.! We decided not to upgrade for once, because we are never there in the room till so late. The pool is wonderful, the resturants and bakery are wonderful!. We like to go to the movies and play bingo, so that is another reason to stay at South Point. When you get tired of gambeling too much, they have other things to do. We love to bowl and that is there also. We have been staying there the last 4 visits now and for the money, you can't beat the rooms. You can actually take family and still come home with $ in your pockets when you stay there. Kids have a good time too. You should go!!

Room Tip: The rooms are very nice, but I would advise to pay the $20.00 upgrade and have a view of the pool. I...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
hoteloperations2013, Hotel Operations at South Point Hotel, Casino and Spa, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thanks for the great review of our property and the 4 star rating. Your feedback is very important to us and we are glad to hear you really enjoyed your stay. We appreciate your loyalty and we look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Excellent hotel lots of food place on site to choose from. Movie theater and bowling. horse show at the time I was there. Very close to airport and car rental return. Kids had a blast. I didnt win any money but really enjoyed. Pool area awesome just water to cold

• Stayed June 2013
Wow, thanks for the awesome review of our property. We really appreciate the feedback and thank you for the 5 star rating. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your overall visit and we look forward to serving you again.

Hemet, California
Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Be forewarned...if you eat at the cafe for the late night special they charge the same amount for what ever drink you get as the cost of the meal. We had a 3.75 and a 2.95 breakfast and the coffee and juice was 2.95 and 3.75 also. Not inexpensive!!! Bill came to just under 15.00! The cashier told me that it is because the food price is reduced they up the drink prices...we will not be back!!!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank chattykathie8
Thank you for being a valued guest. We do have our Graveyard Specials served from 12 midnight to 6am and our menu provides all the prices. We are sorry you didn’t enjoy your experience and we hope you will reconsider a visit with us.

Thornton, Colorado, United States
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We got South Point through Priceline and still had to pay an additional $14/night at the hotel, whether or not I used their amenities. Bummer, I thought this stay was pre-paid like every other Priceline hotel I had ever booked. Later to find out, many Vegas hotels now charge a mandatory resort fee. Shady. Upon arrival, the hotel was beautifully lit up on the outside, but inside, the slot machines welcomed us, and it felt like walking into an arcade/bowling alley rather than walking into a glamorous 4-star resort lobby. By the next day, though, we were pretty used to the environment. Again though, it seems somewhat common for Vegas hotels to have tons of slots in their lobbies.

The pool was very resort-like and relaxing, had nice music, and was beautiful at nighttime. Room was appealing, clean, sizable, and comfortable. The restaurants were very affordable. We enjoyed Steak'n Shake ($3.99 burger/fries lunch), Baja Miguel's fajitas + free virgin margarita (with coupon book the hotel gave us), and the breakfast buffet (Under $4 pp when we used our coupon books the hotel gave us). We intended to go to one of their fancier restaurants as well, just didn't get around to it, we were having too much fun! Fortunately, this place is NOT very smokey or smelly, even the casino area wasn't bad. We also really enjoyed the on-sight entertainment comedian, Heather McDonalad (only $15pp), and enjoyed being able to explore the equestrian center and go to a movie, all on sight. We enjoyed the strip more than anticipated, and went there two nights. The hotel's airport shuttle (free) and strip shuttle ($8 for entire day) were convenient. The hotel is well kept-up, but still could use a renovation, particularly in the buffet and casino-lobby area. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay and only met other travelers who loved it there as well.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for being a valued guest and for the 4 star rating. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your first experience at our property. Your feedback is very important to us and we will forward this to our management team. It really is our pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to serving you again.