“Not my kind of place, but neither is Vegas”

South Point Hotel, Casino and Spa
Ranked #45 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
Concord, North Carolina
“Not my kind of place, but neither is Vegas”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

As an athlete as well as business traveler, I generally loathe places like Vegas, where workout options are so limited. I was put up at South Point because there were no rooms left at M, which was disappointing to begin with. So maybe my expectations were off to begin with, but the huge smokey lobby and hordes of hypnotized gamblers was a real let down. The rooms were clean and kept up to par, but the gym was small and crowded. I suppose if you are a gambler this could be a good place to stay, but it seemed very out of the way to me. Next time I'll book earlier.

Room Tip: Don't look out over the roof of the casino. Just a sea of air conditioners.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
hoteloperations2013, Hotel Operations at South Point Hotel, Casino and Spa, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for being a valued guest and for taking the time to rate our property. Your feedback is very important to us and we want you to know that the comments we receive are taken very seriously and will be addressed with our management team. We are sorry your stay was not an enjoyable experience. We really do hope you will reconsider a future visit with us.

Hotel Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,129)
  • Korean first
Midwest
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We recently stayed for 5 nights. This was our fourth time here. The room was clean and exceptionally quiet. We paid extra for a midlevel view of the strip. From our 12th floor, that view included the top floor of the parking deck. We paid a $14.50 per day resort fee, which I am very unhappy about. I know some other hotels nickel and dime you to death, too, but it's still really annoying. We didn't use the "fun book" with it's assorted coupons, the pool is unheated and was too cold to use, and my husband couldn't connect to the internet (tech help never returned our call). The real clincher for me was our experience with the front desk clerk. I had left my cellphone charger in the room. When I came to pick it up on the way to the airport, I asked how long it might take because we needed to catch our flight. Instead of some morsel of reassurance that it wouldn't take too long, I was told, "It will take as long as it takes." It ended up taking about 20" or so. Not the most courteous response! With all the great choices in Vegas, I'm not sure we would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for being a valued guest and for your patronage. We want you to know that your feedback is very important to us and we have addressed this. We assure you that this is not the type of guest service we train our staff for. Our mission here at the South Point is to provide the best possible service to our guests, and anything short of that is totally unacceptable. We apologize for any inconveniences you experienced and hope you will choose our property as your hotel of choice the next time you’re in Las Vegas.

MO
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I have been to Vegas 40-45 times. I usually make it out twice a year, but if I'm lucky, three. Over the course of these visits I have stayed many times on the Strip and downtown, but I always seem to keep coming back to my favorite - South Point. The South Point has everything a cost-savvy traveler would want. Clean, spacious rooms; great restaurant choices; large casino; and other amenities like their cinema, fitness center, pool, etc.

During a recent stay I took advantage of all the above and have nothing but praise. I had no issues with room during my four nights, went to the fitness center each day, and ate three consecutive nights at my favorite restaurant in the world - The Sliverado Steakhouse. The ribeye on the bone is just so incredibly good, and the braised short rib is not far behind. The atmosphere and service are also to notch.

I've stayed at the South Point for business and pleasure. In fact, when I travel to Vegas on business, even if the event is scheduled at another hotel, I always try to stay at the South Point instead.

I suppose if the latest and greatest is important to you, then South Point may not rank that highly. For others who prefer value and quality, the South Point is a great choice.

1 Thank MUTiger1997
Wow, thanks for the awesome review of our property and the 5 star rating. Your feedback is very important to us and we are happy to hear you enjoyed your visit and the amenities we have to offer. We want you to know that your comments will be forward to those areas you mention and we appreciate the compliments. It really is our pleasure to have you stay with us and we thank you for making the South Point your place to stay.

Fargo, North Dakota, USA
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed at the South Point Hotel for a business conference this past week. Overall I enjoyed the clean rooms, quality of the food, and activities in the hotel. There is something for everyone here - bowling, movies theaters, restaurants, and (of course) gambling.

Because we were there for a conference I didn't have the opportunity to check out the restaurants, we ate food that was catered in by the hotel. It was a nice variety and had many good healthy options.

The service at this hotel needs some serious improvement. The cocktail waitresses all but ignored you when you were sitting in the bar. Front desk check in was extremely slow as well.

I appreciated the value that this hotel brought. I had a nice king suite which was clean and spacious. The bed and pillows were comfortable. The only downside to the room was the TV - not many channel options and no channel guide.

The hotel seemed to attract a rough crowd - several of our clients who stayed in the hotel complained of noise issues - man and woman arguing over money late at night (you read between the lines there), and police knocking on the door of another room (on a separate night). Issues like this would make me uncomfortable bringing my family there.

The pool looked nice, but (unfortunately) I didn't have the opportunity to go there.

The strip and other shopping options are easly accessible from the hotel - there is a shuttle service to the strip ($8 round trip) and a bus stop that will take you anywhere. It was easy to navigate and affordable. The shuttle to the airport is great, but be sure to make a reservation in advance. Also make your return reservation immediately upon checkin.

On a side note, the gentleman who picked us up at the airport was a rock star. He was very warm and friendly, and took some time to welcome us to Las Vegas and tell us about both the city and the hotel. He gave some great tips, and was a great way to be welcomed to Vegas.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for being a valued guest and for the feedback you provided. We really appreciate the compliments on our guest room. We will forward you comments to our management team to be addressed and we are sorry to hear your first stay was not an enjoyable experience. Our mission is to know and understand each of our guests’ expectations and our goal is to surpass them. We really do hope you will reconsider a future visit with us.

Minnesota
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the South Point Hotel Casino and spa. I booked the trip through Expedia and got what I consider a very good price for the package. I have been to Vegas before, and have done all the sightseeing gigs, and this time I just wanted to relax.

The reason I chose the South Point was I wanted an all-in-one destination hotel. I spent several hours online reviewing what was available for my dates and price range, and also the amenities offered. I kept coming back to South Point. After reading the travelers reviews and perusing their website for amenities offered I booked a trip. The amenities I was looking for just stood out for me were; a casino for gambling, movie theaters, bingo parlor, and a wide variety of restaurants. I took advantage of them all (probably took in too many movies, but I love watching movies). Spent some time in the casino also, as they had all the games that I like to play, especially the slot machines. The restaurants were very good, especially since upon Check-In you get a fun book with several coupons for the restaurants. Half-price at the buffet, free dessert at Simply Prime Rib, etc.

I did not spend all my time, though, at the South Point. They do have a shuttle that runs to the strip for eight dollars a day, but I rented a car through car rentals.com for $16 a day (taxes and fees included). For me that was well worth the extra charge,as I was not limited in where I could go. I wanted to sample a few other places, but for two whole days out of my five day vacation the car never left The South Point. Plenty to do without heading to the strip. I did not take in all the amenities this resort has to offer, but did avail myself of most and was very pleased with the experience.

As far as the rooms go. I was very pleased with that also. The room was very clean, well and comfortable. I had a view of the lower roof a part of the hotel, and a great view of the hills in back.

All in all a very pleasurable experience. Pricewise, a bargain. My next trip to Vegas. I will be definitely looking toward South Point.

My only complaint was the $14 a day resort fee. I find this somewhat disingenuous as it should be included in the price of the hotel. I did not use the spa, or the exercise room, and only use the Wi-Fi sparingly when in my room, most of the time I use my AT&T data. If they have to charge this, they should roll it into the rates.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
hoteloperations2013, Hotel Operations at South Point Hotel, Casino and Spa, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Wow, thanks for the awesome review. Your feedback is very important to us and we will forward your suggestion to our management team. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your overall visit with us and you are considering a future stay. It really is our pleasure to be your chosen property and we look forward to serving you again.

Palm Springs, California
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Located on the far south end of the strip, the South Point is the first major Hotel/Casino you see when you arrive in Las Vegas via the freeway. I actually prefer this location instead of the middle of the strip because there is less traffic and fewer crowds.

The theme of South Point is Western Rodeo and you will see many travelers in western style garb. The casino is large and well lit and the table games are still affordable for the gambler in you. $5 Blackjack anyone? Nearly unheard of in a strip casino anymore but they have them here.

Another plus is the lack of "glitz" within the hotel. It has a more relaxed feel to the casino and rooms. Check in was quick and easy and the staff is friendly and accommodating. The rooms were clean but could use a little sprucing up. The beds were comfortable and there were plenty of towels and toiletries in the bath.

Food quality and options were good with Prime Rib, Mexican and Italian restaurant options for dinner. There is also a Steakburger diner inside with great burgers and decadent shakes.

All of this comes with a bargain pricing of less than $75 weeknight rates and includes the discount booklet for free cocktails and other discounts.

Overall a very good rating for the South Point which delivers more than you pay for.

1 Thank RVK310
Thanks for the great review of our property and for the 4 star rating. Your feedback is very important to us and we will forward your compliments on to our management team. It really is our pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Payed $79 for a great 2 queen bed room and the bathroom was worth reviewing because the shower and toilet were separate from the sink. Nice for multiple guests, which we had.

The POOL area was fantastic looking but very cold we were there at the end of February.

There is a MOVIE THEATER with 16 screens and new movies, and sometimes older movies going all day.

Every room was in a close proximity to an elevator which made the walk down to the casino easy. The elevators were express elevators which meant we didn't to stop at every floor, we never waited for an elevator ride. There was also SECURITY at each of the elevator lots which felt nice.

The GIFT SHOP/CONVENIENCE store was open 24 hours and don't have to walk through the casino from the rooms to get there.

Coffee, Deli, Ice Cream shop, Steakhouse, Italian, Steak and Shake, Krispy Kreme, 32 lane bowling alley, fitness center, spa and hair salon, All day Cafe and an incredible buffet were all surrounding the casino.

Shuttles were available to the Airport and the strip, and back to the hotel, all day.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for the 5 star rating and the awesome review of our property. We are happy to hear you enjoyed all the amenities we have to offer and you were pleased with your overall experienced. We hope to see you on your next visit to Las Vegas.