“Great value, Friendly and Honest”
Review of South Point Hotel

South Point Hotel
Ranked #42 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I had never stayed at the S.P. , but was familiar with it as on a prior trip stayed at the timeshare resort next door – Grandview. I knew it was virtually smoke free, clean and bright, but had never seen the rooms. My niece was going to attend volleyball camp at ULV and sister in law was staying nearby at the HRC. I decided to join her for the week. Since I had a car, driving was no longer an issue and we decided to give the S.P a try.

The hotel is large, nice pool area with snack bar and friendly wait staff. The pool is a unique shape and adds to the ambiance. The casino has a large bingo room, bowling alley and 16 theater movie complex upstairs. Downstairs there is a large casino, sports book, lounge and multiple restaurants. The S.P. is very clean, bright and the smell of smoke is very light compared to the other large casinos. I can’t stand the stench of fresh or old cigarettes. That was a plus in itself. When you add the low price, wow great value too. They have all the amenities of the strip hotels, convenience / gift store, salon and spa as well as a horse arena. The place is large, our room was on the 20th floor.

As mentioned there are numerous dining options - deli, coffee pastry place, oyster bar (always busy), Steak N Shake, Mexican, Steakhouse, Italian, Prime Rib, Café, buffet and a top 4 diamond restaurant Michaels. We ate at the Coronado Café, Baja Mexican, Buffet once and Michaels. Michaels was a dining experience, service was impeccable and food absolutely wonderful. This is definitely a place to impress or conduct business. We popped in wearing jeans and casual tops and we were openly welcomed. So do not feel you are underdressed. This is the finest restaurant I have ever had the pleasure of dining. Much nicer experience then a Ruth Chris or Ocean Prime, which are both great. At the end of our meal they presented us a plate full of chocolate dipped fruit, it was absolutely wonderful. So save money at eat at the less expensive places and splurge for one meal at Michaels. We figured what we saved staying at the S.P. allowed us to go to Celine Dion, Concert at the HRC – Joint and Blueman, as well as dining at Michaels.

As for the rooms, as others have commented on the rooms are huge with plenty of room, tastefully decorated, great lighting options and a very large LED flat screen TV. The bathroom is nicely equipped with bath/shower and toilet in its own room and a separate very large vanity area. The closet is large with an elevated safe; that makes it much easier to access. We never heard any noise from the hallway or neighbors. Housekeeping was wonderful and very honest. We did leave a tip for the week on day 2; wanted to be sure I did not spend it in the machines. As luck would have it, after a 7 day stay I ended up leaving an expensive item behind. It was after 2 weeks of not locating the item at home that, I called S.P. just to be satisfy my own curiosity; as I always check the room and was positive I hadn’t left it. To my surprise, when I provided my room number & departure date, I was told there were item(s) turned in by housekeeping. When the package arrived I was shocked to find that not only had I left the one item, but also a brand new camera that never found its way out of the box. (never missed that one). It was then that I recalled the plan was to check out then go back to the room to pick up 1 remaining bag. I of course had been distracted by my favorite slot machine and left without my items. SP housekeeping not only provided us with excellent service during our stay, they were very honest and turned in the left behind items which were approx. $400.

We found the location convenient with easy access to the Hwy and were able to drive to ULV daily and the other casinos. However, after trying our luck at multiple casinos new and vantage, we agreed we played the longest with our money at the S.P. Neither were big winners, but we didn’t expect to be. We just wanted to have some fun, visit and enjoy ourselves and that is exactly what happened. Based on our 1 week experience, I would definitely recommend S.P. and plan to return on my next trip.

Room Tip: Be friendly at checkin and ask for a room with a view with a smile. They will try to accomidate mos...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Staff were friendly and helpful. Service in Coronado Cafe was outstanding. It was a fun experience with the only negative that there wasn't a smoke free slots area. We liked the easy freeway access. Parking was always accessible. We enjoyed watching the horse championships both in the arena and on the tv. Minor problems were fixed quickly - we arrived around 10:30 am and were given a room that hadn't been serviced. when notified they promptly sent up a bellman with keys to a different and nicer room.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I'm not usually excited about staying in a casino. Past experience has tainted my viewpoint with lingering cigarette smoke, and less than inviting rooms, but this was an exception. The room was large, comfortable and clean, especially the bathroom. That is a biggie for me! It does seem like you are driving out of town, but it's worth it. We will definitely stay at this property again when we are in Vegas.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We recently stayed for the first time at Southpoint, usually stay at Mirage but they were booked. We had the car so decided to try South Point. Most things were excellent except for the lack of free or at least reasonable Internet in the room. I would have paid $5 not $12.00. The food was very good for the price. We appreciated the coffe bar and the.Del Mar Deli, both were excellent. The room was clean, however I have never seen a bed made with the top sheet tucked in the top before. The kingside bed did not have soft pillows,and all were the same. We had taken relatives from England. They really liked the well lite quiter casino. They were intimidated by the big strip hotels. When driving we will definitely stay here. Next time we will try using the shuttle. Very relaxing.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ernie L
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I've traveled a lot and I'm well versed in the hotel/motel style but I've never experienced anything like this place. It was a dump--a major dump!!! After a long and exciting visit/trip through Death Valley, we checked in late and expecting a great room to relax. After reading the reviews, I thought we had a nice place, but it must be the motel writing the reviews!!! We spent points earned thought our credit card and was really burned on this. How can I get that back?? The room was not vacuumed, a child's toy was left on the floor, sand in the bed and hair (a wad Ray Charles could see) on the bathroom walls. We were so disappointed and it was so late. I had booked a 2 night stay and left early the next morning. I did get an apology when I complained but really what good does it do?? Brine G is my name and I'm for real!!!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel; I did.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Brine G
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Due to overbooking by our airline we were put up in this hotel. How lucky were we? Excellent hotel. Spacious rooms, bowling alley, cinema, rodeo, bars and much more. Complimentary drinks. Coffee maker in the room.

Its more than a hotel its an entertainment complex. its south of the strip but there are buses, taxis and a shuttle.

Thorughly recommend the place.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I always love staying at South Point. The rooms are clean. They finally changed the pillows. They always had these fluffy pillows and they were horrible to sleep on, they now have just normal pillows. The beds, HORRIBLE! We always like staying at South Point because the beds were great. Not this time. Time for new beds in the older rooms. Check in was efficient considering a bus load came in right before I got to the counter. They handled it quick and efficiently! The Buffet is nothing fancy, but is is inexpensive and the food is good.
Will we stay here again, most likely just because we like the hotel. We might just ask for a newer room so the bed is better?

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends