“Southpoint hotel in LV”
Review of South Point Hotel

South Point Hotel
Ranked #42 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Very nice hotel and nice grounds and interior. Not as crowded as other hotels and not as much smoking. Check in is good and check out. If you have a probelm let them know for they will try to take care of it for you. Do not wait to check out if you have a issue. Pool is good size and for all ages. The have a spa and a horse shows going on all the time. A lot of the horse shows are free to watch. Food is very good there and well priced. Hotel is fairly new and they have a nice new hamburger restauraunt now. Beds are very nice and rooms are pretty quiet day or night. Parking is good but can be hard to find a close parking spot at any time. Its off the strip but easy access to the freeway.

Room Tip: You can call to request certain floors of the hotel ahead of time. Higher floors have view and can h...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank gardentogarden
hoteloperations2010, Hotel Operations at South Point Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Thank you for the compliments on our property and for the great review. We appreciate your patronage and are happy to hear you enjoyed the amenities we have. It really is our pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

If I could review just the Spa, this hotel would earn 5 stars on everything!

The spa staff from management on down are the epitome of excellence and customer satisfaction. Nothing escapes their attention to details. They even sent an employee up to my room with a facial cleaner as I forgot mine at home and was about to shower.

The spa rooms are beautifully appointed, and each shower boasts a different "scent" included in each stall. Within the stall, everything - body wash, shampoo and conditioner all are the same fragrance. Each stall is big, spacious and very clean...including grout.

They have a special area for women only and I LOVED it. Pool, cascading waterfall individual sized pools, jacuzzi, dry and steam saunas, and fluffy towels and bathrobes and the best feeling rubberized slide on sandals I have ever seen/used. Customers were so impressed I overheard some wanting to buy them.

The massage personnel are great too. I purchased a double deal and the young lady was so good I fell asleep and could feel all the tension just leaving my body.

Now the next area I would give 5 stars is the Garden Buffet for service, variety, great presentation and preparation. Everything was delicious.

The last thing I would give 5 stars would be another restaurant that serves a breakfast midnight menu that is worth the wait. Everything is $5.00 unless you get steak and eggs. Breakfast specials are $2.00, $3.00 etc and are amazing portions. Enough to share or save half for later.

Slot machines are decent and pay better than tribe run casinos. Drink servers are very nice and courteous even if you are only ordering water.

What I didn't like was the problems with my room, being hassled in a show and accused of recording which I wasn't doing which was upsetting and ruined the show for me in which I left in tears and couldn't get over so I left early. I was trying to get a clear photo with my cell phone but it takes a while to get a good shot because of lighting, movement, etc. and being threatened by a thug usher was too much for a lady in a wheelchair to bear.

Next, things were broken in my room which caused physical injuries to me that were written up but no compensations for being shocked or slightly electrocuted when I touched a lamp to turn on and it blew. Before that, the shower was pushed up past the top of the curtain - no way a disabled person in a wheelchair could reach it to move it down. I turned the shower because I didn't notice this until it was too late. The hand held shower head started turning left and right once the water was turned on and was spraying the entire bathroom because the handle was broken and wouldn't shut off. It just kept turning round and round. So here I am trying to put towels on the floor, holding on to sink trying to get to phone to call and slipped in the water which was everywhere including the walls and on toilet. When I fell and crawled to the bathroom phone to call for help, the personnel couldn't hear me and kept hanging up on me.

Turns out the phone was broken too!

In the end when all was said and done, reports taken, photos taken, I still was charged for the entire stay, no comps, no apologies and when I called their risk management department a month later, the lady was rude, told me they were doing nothing for me and had no intention of contacting me or following up with me. So be careful and check your room and make sure everything works properly...it could cost you more in the long run than you bargained for...like a trip to a knee specialist and being laid up two weeks after you get home.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Beachykeenjan
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The wife and I try to stay on the strip as much as possible. However sometimes if there’s a UFC fight or convention of some sort, there’s just no way we could afford it. This was one of those times where we couldn’t quite go all out like we usually do, so we ventured off the main strip and headed further south.

The South Point Hotel has some of the largest standard rooms I’ve seen in Las Vegas. There's plenty of space if you have kids who don’t mind sharing a bed. My favorite things about South Point were the pool area which was enormous; and the café on the main floor. The pool was enormous! There were only a handful of people there when we stayed since it was a Tuesday. But if you like to sunbathe or swim, you’ll be pleased. The café downstairs was where we ate almost every meal. It was quite an intricate little deli style café. They served sandwiches, burgers and fries, and a lot of great looking desserts. Don’t expect the best meal you’ve ever eaten from there, but they are open late, and it serves its purpose as a place to feed the family on a budget or grab a quick snack.

All in all, The South Point Hotel is really an “Old Las Vegas” style of hotel. There’s not a whole lot for frills. There’s no grandiose theme to admire as with the Bellagio or Caesar’s Palace, it’s very simple. Here’s where you gamble, here’s the bar, here’s some restaurants, here’s the spa. If you’ve ever spent a weekend in one of the super hotels on the Las Vegas strip and gotten lost, you’ll find this place remarkably easy to navigate.

It’s a low budget wonder. Whatever the South Point is charging, rest assured you could probably find the same rate at a hotel on the strip, but you’ll probably end up in a room you don’t want to be in. If you plan on spending most of your time on the strip, you’ll definitely need some wheels. All the hotels have free parking, so pick where you want to sightsee, park the car and drive on back when you’re ready. If you’re renting a car, it might add a few more bucks to you trip, but it’s worth it to not have to walk back after being out late.

Room Tip: If you're a foodie like myself, don't bother going to the buffet. It's not bad at all...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Cervantez

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your visit and appreciate the compliments on our guest room. We look forward to your next visit with us as it was our pleasure to serve you.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Yes that is aware. The airport recently opened a new terminal but the hotel shuttle only goes to terminal 1. So be sure to get instructions especially if you are in terminal 3. The poor attendant who pushed my husband in the wheel chair walked at least 2 miles before putting us on a shuttle to terminal 1. Once there, South Point shuttle was a piece of cake. While our room (428)was lovely, it did not have a clock. It was difficult to see the time on a watch or cellphone without turing on a light and chance waking the other person. Worse yet, there was lot of banging outside our room very early in the morning. We stay at South Point 4 or 5 times a year and were somewhat disappointed because of the mentioned items. Hopefully, these things will be rectified before our October visit.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RetiredinPahrump
hoteloperations2010, Hotel Operations at South Point Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for your continued patronage to our property. We are sorry to hear this past stay was not an enjoyable experience and we apologize for any inconveniences. Our shuttle drops our patrons off at Terminal 3 and picks up only at Terminal 1. However, the airport does provide complimentary shuttle service to and from the terminals. It really is our pleasure to have you stay with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is my third stay and we keep coming back. Away from the main strip, but the rooms are great. Probably would have to pay double the price if closer to it. I have three small children and thought that it is a kid friendly place to stay since the rooms are big enough for the five of us. We will be back.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Eddy L

Reviewed September 1, 2012

This hotel way exceeded my expectations. My family and I stayed here on a quick "passing through Vegas" stay. It was very easy to find off the freeway before going through town. It was EXTREMELY affordable. So needless to say I didn't expect much. What we got instead was...

1) VERY friendly check in service
2) HUGE room
3) VERY clean, neat and new
4) COMFORTABLE beds
5) NICE places to eat
6) SPACIOUS bathroom (with separate toilet/bath area)

We travel with 3 kids - so someone always ends up on the floor. I'm always looking for CLEAN places to put my kid on the floor (which really grosses me out!!!!!)

THIS PLACE IS REALLY NICE.

Room Tip: The breakfast was a little pricey (we didn't do the buffet) but it was still good!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank CXCaptainswife
hoteloperations2010, Hotel Operations at South Point Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Wow, thanks for the awesome review of our property. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your visit and that your expectations were met. We want you to know that it really is our pleasure to have you stay with us and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

We stayed at the South Point Hotel in Las Vegas a few weeks ago. Not sure where my head was at booking at a hotel/casino - our State is non-smoking so cigarettes aren't even on my radar, so naturally walking through stinky smoke to enter and exit was not pleasant. Not sure about this hotel being a family getaway with drink servers exposing their butts - but I suppose all the hotel/casinos are that way, just not sure if that is what I would want my kids exposed to. When we picked view no view I wasn't expecting a wall outside the window. Pluses: Our room was very nice - big comfortable bed, soft pillows. Room was clean and quiet. Water was hot. Check in was painless. I felt the advertisement led me to believe we weren't that far away from the Strip - we were quite a ways a way - we used their transport system and that worked well for a small cost.

Room Tip: Depends if you want a view - dont choose it doesn't matter
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments. Your feedback is very important to us and we want you to know that our HVAC filters are changed out on a regular basis to keep the air continuously circulated. We will address this and apologize for any inconveniences you experienced. We are approximately 5.94 miles (11 minutes) from Mandalay Bay on the strip, and shuttle service is provided for a fee of $8.00 round trip. It really is our pleasure to have you visit with us and we hope you will plan a future stay the next time your in Las Vegas.