“Great, clean place to stay!”
Review of South Point Hotel

South Point Hotel
Ranked #42 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed February 22, 2012

My husband and I have been to this hotel and casino 6 times over 2 years, and have never been disappointed. The rooms are absolutely clean (I am a nurse), large and well-appointed. The strip is a ways away, which is fine, because South Point has everything you need.
The buffets are affordable ($15 a piece for dinner, unless it's Steak Night), and the booklet they give you knocks money off of the price of all of the buffets, and gives you other free goodies. The Cafe (open 24 hours) has some very affordable prices, and good food, too.
The Gift Shop is MUST STOP for those that imbibe. The alcohol prices are super low, and it is a great place to stop and get your drinks before heading to the room for a nightcap.
The service is excellent, and the people are all happy to work there. I have never been to the movie theater or bowling alley, but that's not what my husband and I go to Vegas for. I wholeheartedly recommend this place for couples in their 40s!

Room Tip: I've only stayed in the King Suite, and the beds are more than adequately comfortable. There is...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AndreaJ521
hoteloperations2010, Hotel Operations at South Point Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2012

Thanks for the awesome review of our property and staff. We appreciate patronage as well as the feedback you provided. We are happy to hear you have enjoyed your many visits and we hope to see you on your visit to Las Vegas.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

I went to this hotel for a large conference. I was impressed by the shear enormity of the interior space in this hotel, its conference rooms, casino floor, movie theater, restaurants horse arena, etc. The hotel room I was given was by far the largest hotel room I have stayed in at this price point. I have stayed in larger rooms but at 2-3 xs more $$. The room was very comfortable and the views from the upper floors are great too. I found the desk with internet connection useful. (fee $13 /day) Outside has a beautiful pool area and not just your regular boring rectangular pool, but a contoured attractive pool area.
The place is so large that one can be tempted not to leave. There is not really anything worth walking to around the hotel as it is by itself at the end of some suburbs. The strip is 15-20 minutes away which sounds close but the shuttle service ($8 for all day rides) was difficult to use. We waited for the shuttle only to find there were not enough seats and we had wasted our time. We ended up taking a taxi instead. (~$25-30 with tip)
At the South Point, most of the restaurants and bars are mingled among or on the sides of the casino floor. A coupon book for hotel guests lowers the cost of meals or offers free drinks or desserts with your dinner purchaase. Another reviewer enjoyed the Garden Buffet and I have to second that opinion. Everything was great except the Chinese dishes some of which were inedible. But with so much unhealthy food in Vegas, it was nice to have many healthy choices available. I had a large salad and spread peel and eat shrimp over the top, then had a delicious cut of prime rib and lots of fresh fruit for dessert.
I also ate at their mexican restaurant. The free margarita was dreadful and the steak dish was poorly spiced with undercooked onions, dry rice and cheese poured over the top. Yuck! They did provide free tortilla chips with 3 dipping options including guacamole
The buffet food for the conference was impressively good considering the volume of people they were serving. We had a great Salmon meal with Brocolini for lunch one day.

This hotel appears to be frequented by a lot of locals due to its ease of access. A Wenesday night song and dance show De Ja Vu was full of local regulars in their 60 and 70s filling the dance floor and having a good time.

Overall, this hotel seems more relaxed than the strip and offers a lot under one roof. There are definately good food choices and the overall value is great. Of course, this is still Vegas and gambling is the center of the facility. And so the idea that this is a family-friendly hotel is ridiculous to me.

Room Tip: Higher floors offer a better view. Elevators are split with one set going from 1-12 and the other g...
1  Thank vardon

Thanks for taking the time to rate us and for the information and compliments on our property and staff. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your overall visit with us and want to apologize your dining experience was not very enjoyable. We hope you will stop by and visit with us the next time your in Las Vegas.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

This is my second stay here and I liked some things: spacious rooms, simplicity, clean without smells, quick elevators, busy casino floor, you could tell they are trying to reinvent themselves... there is a guns show and horse cutting show and a movie theater with the latest attractions. Food is decent and plentiful at reasonable prices. Parking is also ample and near the action. Conference hall accomodated a large crowd and the conference breakfast and lunch were excellent. Negatives: something's gotta be done about the horse smells in the lobby.

Room Tip: the higher you are the better the perspective to the mountain range
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Thanks for a great rating; we really appreciate your feedback. We want you to know that we are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We have addressed the information pertaining to the Equestrian event and we apologize for any inconvenience. We hope to see you on your next trip to Las Vegas.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

The South Point is a great option if you're going to Vegas and don't mind being off the Strip. A rental car will get you to the Strip which is 8 miles away, but you'll find all you need at the South Point and at better prices. Rooms are about $100 per night. Join the Club and get a buffet dinner for $8. And if you're into gaming, there's a $1 minimum at the roulette table compared to $10 minimum at the Excalibur. Staff were all friendly and helpful, unusual for such a huge hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

We really appreciate you taking the time to rate us and for the compliments on our staff. We want you to know that our mission is to know and understand each of our guest’s expectations and our goal is to surpass them. We hope to see you on your next trip to Las Vegas.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

My hotel room was spacious and clean. The bathroom was larger than most. The in-room coffee is unusual for Vegas hotels. $12.99 a day for wi-fi. But, no resort fee and free parking in the large multi-level parking structure very close to the casino. The South Point always has several things going on. During our stay there was a gun show, a drummer's clinic and a cutting horse competition. The large equestrian center is host to many events during the year. Unfortunately, during the 2-day cutting horse event, the entire casino had a strong smell of horse manure. Slots pay moderately....better than most strip casinos. If you eat at the Garden Buffer, be sure to use the coupons in the book they give you upon check-in. 50% off makes the buffet bearable.....we ate breakfast there and the made-to-order omelette station provided a great option to the steam table breakfast items. The Coronado Cafe has much better food and some of the best hash browns I've eaten lately. The Steak and Shakes diner is inexpensive but I found the cheeseburger disappointing. The meat patty was smaller than that at McDonald's.

Room Tip: Sign up for the newsletter to get promotions.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family

Thanks for taking the time to rate our property. Your feedback is very important to us and we are happy to hear you enjoyed your overall stay. We have addressed the information pertaining to the Equestrian Center and apologize for any inconveniences you experienced. We want you to know that it really is our pleasure to have you visit with us and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

My partner and I just spent 5 nights at this hotel because he was attending a conference being held, there. The rates were very reasonable and a good value. It does not have any of the glitz of the places on the strip...more of your run of the mill casino. It's kind of downscale in that arena...The location is about 3-4 miles away from the hubbub of the strip; nice not to be in the middle of that scene. It's an easy drive to the big casinos with plenty of parking available at each of them.
We had a very large room on the 23rd floor with a great view of the city and mountains beyond.
The room was quite decent, nothing fancy - could use some freshening up. All in all it is a good bargain and it was very comfortable.
There were a couple of things I disliked....to get to the hotel rooms, as someone else wrote awhile ago, you have to walk through the very smokey and unappealing (to me) casino...no way to bypass it.
While we were there, a cutting horse show was going on in the equestrian center at the back of the hotel, which was quite interesting to see and watch, but there was definitely a smell of horse and cattle around the elevator area...since I generally making beelines out of the hotel, anyway, it wasn't so bad. Also, all of the restaurants are located in the casino, which was very unappetizing to me, so I steered clear of eating at the hotel. I was disappointed that when i requested a feather pillow, due to my partner having a hard time sleeping on foam, I was given a rather curt "no" and that was it....continuing to knit pick, here, the TV stations were primarily sports and gambling ones, and things related to the hotel...not that I wanted to watch TV, anyway, so that didn't really matter to me.

Room Tip: We were first given a room on the 4th floor with a view of the building. I changed rooms to an upper...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kenlee C

We appreciate you taking the time to post your comments; we are happy to know we really are a bargain. We apologize for the inconvenienced you experienced during your visit and we want you to know that w have addressed this. It really is our pleasure to have you visit with us and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

Positives (this will be quick): rooms are large and clean with nice views.

Negatives:
1. Almost 9 miles from anything worth doing when in Las Vegas (must do a taxi or the hotel shuttle (which fills up quickly) to get to the Strip).
2. Crawling with locals and low-class types -- I saw more mullets in one location than I once previously thought possible.
3. Cigarette smoke throughout the casino is overwhelming. I tried to enjoy a few slots and ended up 'cashing-out' and calling it a night.
4. Worth repeating -- a sketchy low-class crowd.

Room Tip: I had a nice mountain-view. A friend had a Strip view, but his window was so filthy it wasn't e...
2  Thank germatt2

We are sorry to hear your visit with us was not an enjoyable experience. We are approximately, 5.94 miles (11 minutes) from Mandalay Bay on the strip and there is shuttle service for a fee of $8.00 round trip. All information is posted on our website. We want you to know that your feedback is very important to us and we hope you would reconsider a future visit with us.