“Great small museum.”

Ranked #83 of 467 things to do in Las Vegas
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This museum is devoted to the Nevada Test Site.
Reviewed February 28, 2016

I was in town for a conference and had a few hours to kill. I decided to check out the National Atomic Testing Museum based on a favorable guidebook review. I was not disappointed. It is a small museum. I was in and out in about an hour. The permanent exhibit, about the history of the Nevada Test Site, is great. A lot of artifacts and great interpretation is provided. There are a few short movies throughout the exhibit about various topics from what exactly a nuclear reaction is to all the various ways that American culture was impacted by nuclear testing. There is a feature movie which replicates, through big speakers (think a lot of bass) and fans what it was like to witness an atomic test.

There was a temporary exhibit about Area 51 which was awful. Scattered and little to no interpretation. I had no idea what I was looking at or how it fit in to what I was looking at 5 seconds before. Lacking in narrative.

This being said, this is a great little museum that tells a story that doesn't get a lot of attention. Highly recommend.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,411)
All reviews
in 21 reviews
"off the strip"
in 46 reviews

Reviewed February 24, 2016 via mobile

Very informative and well curated exhibits. History started with the first bombs, explaining testing, technology, and controversy. I loved the movie from the 1950s (?) that explained fission - cute and helpful. What I found most captivating though, were the many other uses of the Nevada Test Site, both then and now. Rocket development, Apollo mission training, WMD response training.... Active site!

We got a fantastic coupon deal that included the Area 51 exhibit. That display was very cheesy - glad we didn't pay for it. There were a few interesting nuggets but overall, it seemed like a kids school project.

Reviewed February 19, 2016

This tells an amazing story that I never knew how huge and large our testing program was-----and why we had to keep doing it. Should see this story, it is very interesting. I found groupon--making this a great deal

Reviewed February 19, 2016

The museum was very interesting, but all the information was almost too overwhelming. It was a lot of reading, but I still appreciate the effort that was made to help us understand such a complicated topic. It was also fun to go to the extra exhibit - Area 51...myth or reality?!

1  Thank Emily B
See more reviews
Reviewed February 18, 2016

We spent 2 1/2 hours in this museum. What a surprise. It was a fascinating insight into an historic era... I fully expected to blast through (pun intended) but the exhibits were intriguing and well presented. I learned things and relearned things I had forgotten. Probably best for the 50 and older crowd that know more about WWII and the Cold War but we saw a few younger people there too. Video clips and interactive exhibits enhanced the experience. They have a cool film in a small theater showing an atomic explosion. I won't spoil it but the special effects were a surprise.

The Area 51 exhibit was weak. There is an add on charge for this. Save your money. I believe it is a special exhibit and it is ending soon anyway.

We spent our morning in the museum and we went to "Mint Indian Bistro" directly across the street for a fabulous lunch. Their lunch buffet was great!