“Service Too Good- Read On”
Review of Mix - Las Vegas - CLOSED

Mix - Las Vegas
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: The Strip
Cross street: Russell Road
Reviewed February 23, 2007

How can service be too good? Doesn't make sense, does it. The wait staff is highly efficient, so the food comes very quickly. We felt rushed. I've never had appetizers, dinner and dessert in under an hour, except at Denny's. When the experience costs $100 per person there should be some time for conversation. The food was good, but not spectacular. You should be able to do MUCH better for the price. The view is nice (the elevator ride is free).

2  Thank RobGSCL

Reviewed January 28, 2007

My fiance took me to Mix for my b-day on 12/27/07. We too have eaten everywhere (French Laundry, Charlie Trotter's, Joel Robuchon, Tru, etc etc) and we were sorely disappointed by our entire experience. We had 6:30p reservations (arrived at 6:15p), were seated at a lovely windowside table (no mention of "the event" of which they were notified) and received menus. This is a beautiful, white dining room highlighted by an incredible glass sculpture. We inquired about a tasting menu and were told it would not be ready for 45 min. We asked if might then return as that is what we wanted. Our waiter checked and said he could start service but would bring the menu later. We also ordered 1 wine pairing and a couple of glasses "a la carte" as well as some "plain" water (carafe). The amuse was wonderful (intense potatoe soup) and came with champagne. Sashimi was next. It was very good but the plate was extremely plain. After the plates were cleared, the waiter brought the wine with the non-apology of "when we are busy, we can't always pair the wine with the food". (BTW, not full at that time). Next course came (with its wine) and the 3rd course, braised duck and pasta also came after a delay with ITS wine, which we thought quite novel as it was a white. It didn't really go. 4th course was delayed and then the main, the Lamb medallions arrived. Very good (though a bit gamey) but sincere there were 2 more courses to come, we asked if we could combine and take home our plates. No problem there. "pre-dessert" arrived after a pause and since there had been at least 10 min between courses, I then got up to use the facilities. That's when I saw the "better" side of the dining room! Ask for a table overlooking the strip. The bathroom was beautiful as well except for extremely low quality toilet paper and institutional paper toweling. Anyway when I got back to my table, the dessert had been served (with its port). The 3-4 techniques of chocolate were beautiful and light. We received the bill and were stunned to see the each carafe of water we had (tap as far as we could tell) cost us $10. Our leftovers arrived in a styrofoam container. We asked about a carry out bag but were told they were "all out". We asked if we could have a copy of our menu to take home and it is then that we found out that the wine had been brought in the wrong order (so much for the "inspired" pairing!) The floor manager came to check on us as we were leaving and asked how the evening was. We replied that the food was "fine" but that we were disappointed in not having a carry out bag (kind of hard to walk around with a styrofoam box) and that the wine's timing and order had been messed up. He replied "OK" and walked away. We DID see hi speak with our waiter. We left (I left my coat--so we had to return later; they didn't notice). When we got back to Chicago 2 days later, we found that we had left our credit card at the restaurant. Although the name on the card matched the reservation and they had our number, they made no effort to contact us. When we called the restaurant, they stated they didn't know if they had the card or not so transferred us to the manager's voice mail. He called back later to transfer us to hotel security who had the card which they mailed back about a week later. The poor service and attention to detail overshadowed the food experience and honestly, we've gotten better service at our local gastropub. Choose something else when in Vegas. Please.

4  Thank EAD&JS
Reviewed January 25, 2007

My wife and I booked a meal at the Mix in October 2006 on our wedding night. Our parents were there to join us.
We had seen the advertisments but not read any reviews, the main reason for the choice was ease as we were staying in the Mandalay Bay.
We were not disapointed. Walking into the bar area is an experience in itself. The view over the strip is breathtaking and has to be experienced at night.
The food was fantastic and compares with the best we have experienced anywhere around the world. The service was attentive and we were given desserts with hand decorated plates to mark the occasion.
The prices are a little above the norm but reasonable given the quality of food, wine and overall dining experience.
Highly recommended for a special occasion.

Reviewed November 25, 2006

I'm a restaurant freak. i've eaten at effiel tower, le cirque, top of the world, Boa steakhouse, but I must say that my experience at mix on Nov.25.06 was amazing. it was gorgeous. the service was great. we ate at the balcony with a gorgeous view. the food, i had a cod, was delicious. & their elbow pasta which is mac & cheese but 100X betteris highly recomended. i encourage you to dine at mix, which is so far the best dining experience i've had so far.

2  Thank mszarlynette
Reviewed November 14, 2006

We had dinner here on a Sunday night in Nov. I have to say that the food was excellently prepared and served. The setting was was nice with a great view (as one would expect from a 54th floor). I would go back for another meal.
The part of the experience that was different from the rest was our interaction, or lack thereof, with the hostess staff. Out of the 3 of them, none could greet us or the party in front of us properly as we arrived at the podium. The young women did not look at us, say anything, or change their decidedly petulant xpressions. After an awkward silence as I tried to make eye contact with one of them, I finally asked one of them to check for my reservation. I don't know if she found it or not, but still without looking at any of my party, she turned to another girl and asked her to take us to a table. As the old saying goes, you don't get a second chance to make a first impression. If this is some sort of greeting strategy that this high end restaurant or chef Ducasse is employing, then I guess I don't understand their strategy.

But, back to the food. The bison entrée with peppercorns was delicious, very tender and had no hint of gaminess at all. We had concerns that the kitchen could pull this off, but we were pleasantly surprised. The duck entrée was prepared 2 ways, roasted and braised, both came with different sauces and was excellent as well. The appetizers, duck foie gras and shrimp cocktail, were voted very good as well. The foie gras could have had a bit more sear, but was very good. They have a different, but tasty twist on mac & cheese using gruyere cheese which was offered as a side dish. All our choices were complex dishes with many flavors and were visually appealing. The server was very helpful, informative and accommodating. He suggested wines to pair with the entrees and appetizers. He knew the exact components of all the dishes we asked about. It really helps to have a experienced and knowlegeable server who will give you all the info you need to make the right choice. The kitchen provided a complimentary after dinner treat, warm madelines with chocolate sauce.

For a special event, I would say that this restaurant is a good choice based on the quality of the food and the setting. Note that it is pretty expensive, about $150/person including wine. But, don't be put off by the rudeness at the door.

P.S. If you don't visit the restaurant itself, it is worth it to go see the Mix Lounge on the other side of the floor from the restaurant. What a fantastic view! Going after dark is probably the better view. You can see the Luxor pyramid from up close and above it!

5  Thank wlarryw