“Enjoyable for the music, if nothing else!”
Review of Mamma Mia!

Mamma Mia!
Ranked #111 of 226 Concerts & Shows in Las Vegas
Reviewed November 8, 2008

I had my heart set on the Jersey Boys, but since even the discount tickets were so expensive, we decided to see Mamma Mia instead. We got third row seats and were not disappointed. Of course the music is familiar to anyone over the age of 30, and the manner in which they have woven the songs into an admittedly sketchy story is imaginative, to say the least. Minimal sets and costumes shine the spotlight on the music, and the performers all seemed to have good voices, although some of the men's voices didn't seem to project well. I'm not sure if this was a sound issue or if they just didn't have strong enough voices to carry. The lead actress played her part in the Broadway production and was outstanding. Her two best friends provided great comic relief and played their parts over the top to an appreciative audience. All the actors put a great deal of energy into their performances. We left feeling our money had been well spent on an entertaining evening.

1  Thank Mtn_Traveler4

Reviewed October 23, 2008

I had read many reviews on this and was nervous about even going to see it since the reviews were so terrible. My mother really wanted to go so I did get some half price (2nd row center) tickets.

It was terrible! I have seen high school performances that were significantly better than this. The singing (at times) was almost painful they were screaming so loud. I actually saw a few people covering their ears. The acting was so-so. The dancing was HORRIBLE! I don't think anyone had any dance experience prior to doing the show. This was NOT up to Vegas standards or what I would expect from Mandalay Bay. Even at half price the tickets were expensive enough to warrant a somewhat experienced cast.

Don't bother with this Vegas show. Wait for your community playhouse or high school since that is the equivalent to this show.

1  Thank kristib7615
Reviewed October 7, 2008

Mamma Mia!

My partner really wanted to go see Mamma Mia! while we were in Vegas, so after searching and posting on the TA Forum for the best/cheapest place to buy tickets, we bought some before we went on the www.travelzoo.com website. They were half price and really good seats, third row! I got the email confirmation, which we printed to take along to the box office, along with the credit card used and photo id to collect the tickets at the Mandalay Bay Box Office.
Not really being a fan of musicals, seeing Mamma Mia! wasn’t high on my list of Vegas priorities.
But I actually really enjoyed it! Not being a musical buff, to me it seemed well performed/sung and was lots of fun if a bit on the cheesy side!
Having good seats meant we were close to the stage, but as there wasn’t rows and rows and rows of seats behind us it wasn’t too far to get a drink at the interval.
A good show and the missus enjoyed it.

1  Thank Yorkie_Traveller
Reviewed September 19, 2008

wasn't planning to see mamma mia, but got an offer by email for half priced tickets and couldn't pass it up. I'm so glad we decided to go the show was a lot of fun. I didn't know all of the songs since It's kind of before my era, but my mom did and it didn't matter because I was singing them all by the end of the show anyway. a lot of fun from beginning to end. The three "older" women in the show totally make this a must see they outshine all the other actors and are completely hilarious. A must see for women, and I think some men will definately like it too. I saw a 50 something man in the row ahead of my wiping a tear or two near the end of the show.

3  Thank mpotter908
Reviewed September 2, 2008

We had our heart set on seeing a musical our first night in Vegas, so we went to tix4tonight and managed to get tickets to see this for $30 a person, which was great (the alternative was Jersey Boys for over $100 each or Phantom for $80). For the money we spent we had a wonderful time. Do not go to this show expecting to see any serious acting or drama, it is kitschy to the teeth, but all in all a lot of fun. The English guy's accent is awful, as in really really bad but such is life. There also seemed to be some balance problems between the lead singers and the chorus, but I'm picking at things. If you can get tickets at this price, go, regardless of where the seats are. Though it had a couple of issues, the benefits vastly outweighed them, and once you don't have perfect pitch you will have a great evening out.

Been to Mamma Mia!? Share your experiences!