“IGNORE THE MOANERS”

Ranked #5 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
london
“IGNORE THE MOANERS”
Reviewed November 17, 2005

we fly over each november from london and have stayed at various hotels in vegas including bellagio, caesars, t.i, venetian etc, i would put wynn on a par with bellagio and as expected they have many similarities, i found no problems with checking in, service and pricing, sure things arent cheap but if you dont want to pay for quality stay somewhere cheaper, the golf course is absolutley fabulous and whilst expensive at $500 it is an experience, the drinks girls are all stunning, steve wynn has made sure they have the best looking girls throughout the hotel,

• Stayed November 2005
35 Thank LondonClive

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,471)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Madison, WI
Reviewed November 14, 2005

Went to Wynn over Labor Day holiday. Was fantastic. Everywhere you went was beautiful and relaxing. They had music playing everywhere that just relaxed you. The pool was great. The Wynn steak house was amazing. I don't have a bad thing to say about our stay. Rooms were what you paid for. Well worth the money. Don't miss the deli. Will be back!

26 Thank Wynner
sydney
Reviewed November 13, 2005

This is without doubt the best hotel in vegas at the moment-pool area was great,rooms were nice and the hotel wasnt so big that you get lost every few seconds...

I was actually very impressed with the fact that I missed my flight and had no booking and just tried asking for an availability.I got a fantastic deal-waaay cheaper than bellagio-on a stip view room.The staff were all very polite.Had a great time- I will only be staying at wynn in the future.

Stayed October 2005
24 Thank fgc12
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 13, 2005

I just returned from a full week's vacation at The Wynn Las Vegas and I must say that it was one of the greatest vacation experiences of my life. The only annoyance came at check in when it took 90 minutes for my room to become available. Fortunately, as soon as I walked into the spectacular room all was forgiven. I stayed in a Salon Suite on the 59th floor with a strip view. The room was absolutely jaw dropping. When you first walk in you are taken back by the decor, it is unlike any other room in Vegas within the $1,000 a night price range. I have stayed at the Bellagio and Venetian penthouses and this room puts them both to shame. The massage room was a great addition and kept my girlfriend very happy along with the in-room manicure, pedicure and hair styling services. In order to organize my experience at the Wynn I will break down my week below:

Sunday – Arrived at 3pm, room was not ready until 4:30pm. The separate entrance for tower suite guests was very convenient as it did not require you to walk though the casino to get to your elevator. Security was very tight and bomb sniffing dogs are constantly patrolling the property. All staff was very friendly although still appear to be slightly confused especially the girl’s at the front desk. Dinner at the SW Steakhouse was not very good. The service was great but the food was a bit disappointing. The show at the Wynn is also a bit of a disappointment but that’s good thing since it doesn’t attract crowds of annoying tourist looking for a free show.

Monday – Spent most of the day at the Fashion Show mall which was conveniently located across the street from the hotel and easily accessible by using the overpass. Had dinner at Le Cirque at the Bellagio and this was by far the best dining experience of the entire trip?

Tuesday – Caught the 6:30 showing of Avenue Q and found it to having some hilarious parts, and overall a very good Broadway style show. Had dinner at Alize at the top of the Palms Hotel. The view was outstanding, and the food was just as good.

Wednesday – I saw the 7:30 showing of Le Reve and found it to be very interesting although boring. It lacked the dare devil acrobatics that I was expecting from the man who created O’ at the Bellagio. I then had dinner at Emeril’s Delmonico steakhouse at the Venetian. This was an amazing restaurant and lived up to its high expectations.

Thursday – Attending the Celine Dion show at Caesar’s and it was very good. Had a late dinner at the Wynn’s terrace point café which was good for what it was, a late night eating spot.

Friday – On this day I saw what could possibly be the worst show on earth. KA at the MGM Grand was horrific. A bunch of ninja’s jumping on walls, playing with swords and yelling. It was the worst; as a matter of fact I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. It was so bad that I couldn’t fall asleep during the performance because I couldn’t stop thinking about how terrible it was. Dinner at Emeril’s Fish House was great and saved the night.

Saturday – Unfortunately, the heavyweight boxing match that I was scheduled to attend was cancelled. I partied the night away at Lure Ultralounge at the Wynn.

Sunday – Check out was quick and easy and because of my gambling I was given a nice 25% discount on my room bill.

It was a great vacation at The Wynn Las Vegas….

• Stayed November 2005
29 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Notts, UK
Reviewed November 12, 2005

loved the room, loved the food, loved the pool,loved the view, loved making my husband go down and get my breakfast in the morning!!! if your looking for a way to spoil and indulge yourself this has got to be it. although i have to agree with previous reviewers who found it to be impersonal - although all large hotels, in my experience, have this failing to some degree or other.

• Stayed June 2005
24 Thank AJHOP24
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed November 10, 2005

Over the years, I have stayed at a number of the Strip hotels (Flamingo Hilton, Aladdin, Luxor, Caesars, Bellagio), and of these, had been most impressed with the decor, service, and room comfort of the Bellagio. During an Oct. 05 business trip, I spent two nights in the new (opened April 05) Wynn. I have to say that the new Wynn is a Wynner, and is on a par with the Bellagio in terms of service and room comfort, if not decor and location.

The Wynn is located on the northern end of the “habitable” portion of The Strip, and is not the most centrally located of hotels. My first impression of the inside of the hotel was that, despite the obvious exorbitant cost and consideration that went into the design of the public areas, they appear to be a bit overdone. This is a subtle point, as there is nothing “cheap” or “tacky” about the Wynn decor. Perhaps it is the lack of a unifying theme that consigns the decor of Wynn to the random-and-cluttered, the slightly-more-swank-than-sophisticated, than could have been the case (e.g. the Bellagio is Italianate, the MGM is art deco, what is the Wynn style . . . Italian? Asian? contemporary? all-of-the-above at once?). A lighter and more consistent touch in the Wynn would have been a bit less dissonant and easier on the senses. One got the impression that the Wynn decorators were trying a bit too hard to one-up the Bellagio, which in my book, remains the pinnacle of tastefully done Vegas extravagance (e.g., the Bellagio fountains, tens of millions of dollars of prime Vegas Strip real estate filled with a big lake that has trained water to dance to music, defines “tasteful extravagance”).

On the other hand, regarding decor, one needs to keep in mind that (i) decor is subjective, (ii) this IS, after all “Vegas, Baby!”, and most importantly, (iii) one does not live in the lobby. Indeed, the other tangibles and intangibles of this hotel quickly assuaged my decor disappointment.

Check in was very efficient and perky, as it should be in a hotel of this caliber. One nit here, however: check-in would benefit from a common feeding line to the multiple counters, eliminating the frustration of getting stuck in the one slow line headed by the one guest who takes forever to complain about everything (this is a common pet peeve -- EVERY business with numerous service windows should adopt the “bank line” system).

As I noted above, one does not live in the lobby, and the rooms more than compensate for any real or imagined downstairs decorating excesses. My Strip-view room (number 2165: blackjack + my retirement age if I have to depend on my Vegas winnings -- I think that the rooms over the 25th or so floor are more expensive), was spacious, tastefully decorated, and VERY comfortable. A foyer led past a bathroom and closet to a large room with king bed, small comfortable couch, table and chairs, floor-to-ceiling windows, and working desk. The decor was considerably more muted than downstairs, furnished in soothing pastels (not my favorite style, but very well done here), Warholesque prints on the walls, and a very fluffy and very comfortable white down bed cover. The TV was a sweet high-def flat screen model with good cable/movie selection that even included a number of cable and local high-def channels (football, baseball, and a PBS special on the volcanoes in Hawaii were dazzling in HD - and I am not even a sports fan).

The bathroom was large, including two sinks, a large deep tub, glass shower stall, and its own small flat-screen TV. Of course, there was a phone in the chambre de toilette so that workaholic lawyers can keep the meter spinning while on the crapper. The bathroom was well stocked with many large towels, toiletries, etc. My only negative comment about the bathroom was that the towels could have been a bit softer and fluffier, as their texture was somewhat akin to a coarse beach towel (this is of course a nit, as the towels would have been more than satisfactory in any lesser hotel).

Check-in line comments aside, the Wynn appears have to have taken the care to address a number of my other minor hotel pet peeves. The mini-bar was set up with a 60 second timer, so that one was not immediately charged as soon as one touched anything therein (“pick it up . . . read the ingredients” a card helpfully invited). Also, the alarm clock was simple and even had step-by-step instructions for setting the alarm. I am not a complete moron, although I have often felt like one trying to figure out how to set the alarm clock in some hotels. Also, they made some effort to personalize the big hotel experience with small, but admittedly not very significant, gestures, such as first name and initial on the key cards and name on the phone-screen display . . .

Even more striking than the facility, the Service in the Wynn was, on balance, top notch (facility is a science, service is an art). Room service (on each of several occasions) was promised within 30 minutes, and incredibly, actually always arrived within that period! When asked about this, one server explained “Mr. Wynn insists that guests receive their food within 30 minutes.” Amazing, particularly in contrast with my experience at other huge hotels where one is frequently faced with an hour wait for room service food at dinner time. The service theme was also echoed by my experience in the meeting room, where the staff seemed to go out of their way to make sure that food and drink were filled and dishes removed as quickly, quietly, and unobtrusively as possible.

My only service complaint occurred after I broke a wine glass in my room around 6PM and asked housekeeping to send someone up with a vacuum. They apparently forgot about it, and finally called around 10:30 or so after I had already gone to bed. Fortunately, the glass broke in big pieces so a vacuum was not critical; if the shattering had been messier, I am confident that a second call would have brought someone running vacuum in hand.

The amenities of the “resort” are also very well done. There is a huge workout room/gym with many treadmills, etc. each with their own TV. It never appeared that the gym was anywhere near full. The pool complex is also quite extensive, with a large and long pool surrounded by numerous built-in cabanas. The combined effect of guards checking room cards at the entrance to exclude non-guest riff-raff (they actually run the cards through the reader to verify that the holders thereof currently are guests!) and architecture that completely hides the pool area from the outside world give it the ambiance of a resort far removed from the hubbub of The Strip. The only downside of this set-up is that the huge hotel building blocks the afternoon sun for much of the pool sooner than should be the case.

I was very happy to find a separate 25-meter pool with lines for swimming laps. As an aside, that pool is next to a Jacuzzi that during my late afternoon just-arrived pool exploration walkabout was filled with four hot topless and giggling high school girls cooing about showering together on their first trip to Vegas from Indiana. The next day, when I showed up at pool the for a swimming workout, I noticed a sign on the area leading to the lap pool explaining “continental style sun bathing permitted” and prohibiting cameras or persons under 21. As it turned out, that area of the pool complex was very relaxing and low key, with quiet piped-in music and sans screaming kids or loudly wasted adults (& there were a fair number of quietly topless bathers). All very nice.

As for the casino, it pretty much looked like any other casino. For me, practically a non-gambler, on balance, the casino portion of the Vegas hotels are more of a distraction than an attraction, an obstacle necessary to cross in order to get from the hotel elevators to the great outdoors. The Wynn was no different in this regard. Again, after all, this is Vegas. My only observation re the Wynn casino vis-à-vis the other hotels was that all of the drink waitresses that I saw were absolutely stunning women, which while nice, still did not entice me to toss away much $$ in the casino.

On check-out (again with the pick-the-fast-line game -- I lost), there was some sort of problem with the computer system so they could not print out the bills but instead promised to FAX or email them. Re the computer system, another speaker at my meeting noted that there had been a glitch in the computer system the day before, and that the hotel sent staff knocking on doors to verify who was where! The speaker also noted that after the Wynn verified that he was in the right room, a guest later showed up at his hotel door, suitcases in tow, expecting to check into the room!

In summary, although the Wynn was not perfect, notwithstanding some minor shortcomings as noted above, in my experience, I found it to be overall tops both in facility comfort and service. Computer glitches have the potential to turn a hotel stay into a nightmare, but fortunately I did not experience any significant symptoms of this problem (other than with respect to my bill . . . which was not FAXed or emailed but eventually showed up in the mail in time for my expense report), so hopefully such problems are the exception rather than the rule. To risk abusing a likely overused but appropriate pun that deserves to be reused, the Wynn is a Wynner.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
52 Thank JNG
vermont
Reviewed November 3, 2005

I stayed for 4 nights. I had a great room rate for a meeting held at the hotel. The room was lovely, quiet, and very comfortable.

The food was amazing at every restaurant we tried in the hotel. I did not want to eat elsewhere because the food outside paled in comparison.

My only complaint is the concierge service--they only promote their own restaurants and shows. Ticket prices for outside shows were double what they were on the internet. I think this is quite sad. I have never had this experience before.

Overall, I would love to stay here again.

Stayed October 2005