“Overall a great experience.”
Review of Wynn Las Vegas

Wynn Las Vegas
Ranked #5 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed June 22, 2005

My husband and I stayed in the Palace Tower Suites June 19-22. We booked and received a Salone Suite. It was gorgeous. We arrived at noon to check in and were counting on just having to check our luggage and wait for our suite, but they said they had a room available right away. We booked a non smoking room as my husband has terrible allergies. Anyway, as soon as we entered the room it was obvious that it was a smoking room so we called down and asked them to change the room. They said that no non smoking rooms were cleaned yet but that they would expedite the cleaning and notify us by cell phone when the room was ready. So we went to lunch, and we hadn't even gotten to our table before they called us and told us the room was ready. They automatically changed our key cards so we didn't even have to go back to the front desk. We found a *wonderful* bellman who helped us and explained all the ammenities of the room. Bob 63 you were great! The room was fabulous but the view wasn't so hot. We booked a strip view room instead of the golf course view. Well, there isn't much to see. To your left there is a big pit full or dirt where the Venetian is adding on to their shops. Even after it's built you will generally see what the rest of the view is which is tops of concrete buildings, oh and the old downtrodden Frontier Hotel. Even at night, the main lights that you see are from the cars on the freeway and main streets. The hotel is situated so that you don't really see the lights of the strip at all. Next time we will book a golf course view room. At night it will be dark, but at least during the day it will be pretty. The housekeeping service was fabulous and always left extra towels and washcloths. The turndown service was great with them always laying out the robes and slippers by the bed.

Now, lets' talk about the bed! It was the best bed we have ever slept in. In fact, my husband and I inquired about buying the bed. It is really very reasonable and will probably buy it from them in the near future (A new mattress of course, not the exact bed we slept in.) The pillows were also perfect and we did buy a couple of those before we came home. Believe me the sleep you get in their beds will be better than in any other hotel, and perhaps even your own bed!

We had an in room massage one day which was wonderful and very relaxing. I also had my hair blown out and makeup applied one evening for an event that my husband and I attended. Stephanie the makeup artist was great and I looked very glamorous.

The casino is lovely and not too large which I liked. The flowers in the lobby were beautiful. The shops are very shi-shi. I did buy a beautiful python clutch from their "Bags, Belts, and Baubles" shop. I think that's the name of the shop. It's right near the entrance to the hotel. Since it was our ten year anniversary we bought my husband a new wedding ring. He bought a beautiful brushed white gold band with diamonds from Cartier. He loves his new ring and the staff at both shops were exceptional, kind, not at all pushy, and very helpful.

The one major complaint we had through our stay was that a lot of the staff gave wrong directions and instructions. Luckily Bob 63 (our wonderful bellman who seemed to always have the right answer) steered us in the right direction. The one thing we didn't ask him about was the thing we suffered with our whole stay which was valet parking. Because we stayed at the Tower Suites we were to check in at the South Tower entrance. Well, their valet entrance took us right past the bellman to the shop entrance and valet. So we had to walk from there into the hotel. Then we were instructed by the doormen at the entrance to the south tower suites that to pick up your car from valet you had to walk all the way across the courtyard to pick up your car. This was not convenient and there was no walkway to do so. You ended up dodging other cars to get there. My husband and I thought this just couldn't be right so asked several other people and they all said the same thing. Ick! It also always took a very long time to get your car as most of the people picking up there cars weren't staying at the hotel but came to see the hotel and the shops. We also tried calling down ahead of time to have our car sent up so that we could avoid waiting for 20 minutes and being late for dinner dates. We were told we couldn't do so. Well, as we were checking out and "Bob 63" was getting our bags loaded, he called down to get our car for us. My husband asked him if this was only possible at check out and he said no! He said we could have done it the whole time. Then he said that there was a valet right outside the entrance to the south tower suites always ready to take and retrieve our car completely separate from the shop valet! It was so frustrating that we found this out as we were checking out! We just didn't think about asking our good old trusty friend Bob 63 about the Valet, especially as more than 3 people had told us the same thing. The problem was that there is nothing marked for valet for the entrance to the South Tower Suites. It is only marked Valet for the shops. Next time we will know better but that was the most frustrating part of the visit.

The casino was lovely and is constantly patrolled by German Shepherd dogs and their handlers. This made me feel so safe and wonderful. I train German Shepherds in Schutzhund search and rescue, so I know what a wonderful help they are. Nothing is going to get past those dogs. The handlers kept quiet about exactly what their purpose was, but I think they were probably bomb and narcotics sniffing dogs. They probably are also used to diffuse and ugly situation should one arise. Dogs are much more of a deterrent than a gun toting police officer. I think every casino should have dogs.

We ate lunch one day at the Country Club cafe. It was decent but nothing to write home about. We also had really great and huge sandwiches (Corned Beef and Pastrami and Rye) another day at Zoozacrackers. While they were expensive (around $13.95), they were so large that we could each only eat half and saved the other half for the enxt day. So when you break it down to $13.95 for two lunches, that's actually a pretty decent price. We will definitely eat here again for a quick bite. We didn't eat at any of the other restaurants for dinner as we had made reserveations elsewhere.

Overall, I would say the experience was good. Next time I'm sure it will be better. And this will definitely be the hotel we stay in when it's just my husband and myself in Vegas.

23  Thank askar
Write a ReviewReviews (19,019)

A TripAdvisor Member
Connecticut
Reviewed June 22, 2005

I had a spacious room that was nicely furnished and service was great.

I had a reasonable room rate of under $160 but my biggest complaint was all the expensive extra charges---$30+ for breakfast of coffee, juice and muffin, $12 for internet access, $6 to receive a fedex, etc. Perpaps this is the same at all the lux hotels in Vegas, but seemed excessive compared to lux hotels I've been in other cities.

The A/C in my room cooled the room just fine, but somehow seemed to fill the room with a smoked-in smell--a faint smell but annoying nonetheless.

If you don't mind feeling gouged, its a nice place.

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled on business
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 22, 2005

Spent 2 nights in the South Tower of the Wynn Hotel Las Vegas with 2 teenage children. They are gorgeous rooms with the large picture glass overlooking either the strip or the golf course. We were on the 51st Floor which is spectacular. The rooms were clean with great freebies (razors, shoepolish just about everything and very good quality) There is little noise in the South Tower which has a private checkin. We rented a car and the concierge kept trying to send us to regular checkin as we were just about the only ones without a limo! LOts of high rollers and a lot of Prada floating around. The North side checkin looked like a mess with long lines and confusing registration and difficult signage. I was glad I sprang for the higher level room. You also get access to the concierge level pool..although there is NO shade unless you pay 250 for a cabana per day which spritzes you with cool mist and lots of extras. We had to wait until the building shaded the pool around 2pm to use it. There were plently of chairs which is not the same as in the regular po0ol and the staff just fawns over you with requests/ towels etc. The waitress float around in white angel bathing suits. There is a goldfish pool and the kids went to feeding time. There is nowhere to eat on a budget...and quickly for picky eaters. We went over to the mall for the food. The staff were very friendly albeit still trying to figure things out themselves. The casino seems to have very favorable odds..it was the only place we consistently won (or didn't lose) on the strip. With kids I would stay at the Venezia tower..I think the rooms are bigger and nicer.

18  Thank marikim
A TripAdvisor Member
Austin TX
Reviewed June 20, 2005

I'll keep this short.

The hotel itself is beautiful and new. The Bellagio is great, but has peaked while the Wynn is clean and fresh.

Check in...start the problem. I reserved a King bed, and when I get there, no King bed rooms. My wife is mad, wants to change hotels. No vacancy at anything comparable, so I go back to check in and talk to Juan Carlos. No king beds, still. Meantime, my wife calls the Wynn 800 number, gets told there are plenty of king beds available at that moment. She comes up to where I am, tells Juan Carlos what she heard from Wynn reservations...he gets nervous and goes to talk to the manager. Amazing, he comes back with a room that has a king bed! Hmmm...something fishy here.

When we get to the room, we see why they were holding back. Corner room, resort room, with huge windows and a gorgeous view. I think they were holding onto this room just in case somebody important showed up. Instead, I got it. I guess I should be happy, but I don't like being lied to. At least Juan Carlos pulled a good room out of his butt, so no harm done.

We eat at the sushi place...Okada. Beautiful restaurant, great view of waterfall. Sushi....errr not so good. Average, at best. OK we paid for the view. Breakfast buffet was pretty good, only 15 bucks per person during the week. Terrace Cafe had great chow at 4 in the morning, fresh and hot turkey burger, we were the only people there at that time and our waitress was nice. Went there another time, Linda from Cincinnatti waited on us, she was sweet and personable. Overall, Terrace Cafe was good casual food. I eat out A LOT and I am picky for good food, you can trust the Terrace Cafe and the breakfast buffett. Other than that, go elsewhere.

Roulette dealer...Andy from Hungary. I have never met a more disinterested dealer that had taken my money. Craps table was fun, I thought they would take my shirt but I actually made money there.

The drink ladies were nice, Lure club had nice people, but my favorite drink Grey Goose vodka and club soda was 15 bucks. Good lord, I ordered a double for me and a single for my wife and spent 45 bucks. I am not cheap but that made me blink.

Room cleanup happened late in the afternoon, seemed to show up during the 10 minutes we were in the room each day. Room air conditioners were no good. I had mine blasting, and the room was tepid.

The pool was blah. Only 4 feet deep, not very wide corridor between 2 round ends. The bar at the pool was nice, gaming tables by the bar were nice, good chairs and lenient with the towels.

TVs didnt work in the room when we checked in, the big one was not connected and the bathroom one was broken. The non-cordless phone did not work either. All were fixed relatively quickly so no complaints.

Overall, the rooms were very clean and new and smelled like fresh wallpaper vinyl. The tub was so clean an new I took a bath. The shower had a great seat in it so I could sit in the shower. The room was beautiful and clean and new.

The lobby had great flowers everywhere, sure some were fake but what can you expect. I am picky with flowers and theirs were impressive, as was the whole appearance and details of the place, everywhere.

Overall, the hotel/casino was beautiful. Anybody who didn't catch on to that cannot be pleased, period. However, 50 percent of the employees I encountered were just flat out disinterested and that turned me off.

When the place gets older and dingy like the Bellagio I probably would not go back.

17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 19, 2005

My parents stayed at the Wynn resort to celebrate a special occasion, at the same time I stayed at the Bellagio with my boyfriend. I am happy to share their and my experience with the Wynn LV. My mother booked the hotel online many months before, the rates were fluctuating and at the time of check in, there was a slightly lower rate than that she had booked. I do commend the Wynn for honoring the lower rate. At the rate she paid, it was worth the price (less than $800/3 nights), any more than that I would not recommend. The rooms are tastefully decorated, comfortable, bright, nice amenities. You will be charged for the minibar if you just move any items, however my parents were refunded as they did not use any of the minibar items. Service- staff are very nice and not pretentious, however it is very apparent that is still highly unorganized, for example the confusion of everyone- staff and guests- at the hostess stand of the terrace cafe (where breakfast was good, lunch we were disappointed with). Pool is nothing extraordinary- small, cabanas are typical, I thought a bit cheesy; we did enjoy the poolside gaming and some of the tables did have reasonable card minimums on a Saturday afternoon. Overall the WOW factor of a hotel costing $3B was missing.

7  Thank sd_globetrotter
Reviewed June 19, 2005

I just returned from my first stay at the Wynn. Save your money for a hotel with the same amenities for a better value, unless you're the type that just likes to brag about how much money you burn.

The property is essentially "Bellagio North." The casino interior looks nearly identical to The Bellagio. Apart from the ceramic tile flooring (very nicely designed patterns), there isn't much originality to the interior design: same crown molding, same ceiling, same tapestry, same light fixtures. This speaks volumes about the lack of substantive imagination of the creators. Why the architects decided to make the interior of this hotel look so similar to the Bellagio is beyond me. It's a modern design on the outside, so why not make a similar design inside? The direction signage is confusing, and there are very few places to just sit down and rest apart from a central bar (with a waiting list) and the slot chairs (probably intentional).

The Wynn parts ways from Bellagio primarily when it comes to price: it's even more expensive. The rooms go for $350 and up on average. A poolside margarita is $10.50, but it gets better than this. For example, after dinner on Saturday night around 8 p.m., my wife and I tried to get a table at the patio bar that overlooks that bizarre Orwellian pond/light show thing (where the head comes up out of the water at the end) near the lobby. We were well-dressed. There were two entrances to the patio bar, each blocked by a velvet rope and a security guard. When I showed the guard my room card and politely inquired about availability, I was met with the curt response, "Sir, it's $100 per person....and all our tables are filled." I couldn't stop laughing to myself. Rich Lemmings all, I suppose. Did I mention the golf green fee is $500 per person? Yeah...five hundred dollars.

The pools themselves are especially unremarkable. Just two square pools and a narrow one in between. The designers invested their money in these pretentious bungalows lined along the narrow pool, each equipped with a Warholesque painting, a flat panel TV and a couch. I didn't bother to ask how much this cost, fearing a similar, "Sir...." - like response I received the night before. The pool was just plain bor-ring...

The rooms were a nice touch, but do not belive their ads about how they "could be mistaken for an apartment in New York" or some other crowded place. They are no better/spacious/more comfortable than the rooms at Mandalay Bay, and not as nice as the tower suties at Ceasar's, Venetian or the rooms at the Four Seasons. Sure, the flat panel TV is a nice gimmick, but other less expensive hotels offer this too. How long will that set the place apart? I disliked the 70's-throwback dark brown walls.

I will visit, but not stay at the Wynn next time. It's ideal for the folks who like to brag about status and how much money they burn. If you're the type that wants a nice hotel on your LV visit, there are better places at far less cost.

Stayed: June 2005
23  Thank Mark D
Reviewed June 19, 2005

Having read several reviews on this site, I was a little wary about my 4 night trip to WYNN Las Vegas. I stayed June 15-19.
What I found was the best hotel I have stayed at in Las Vegas. It beats The Venetian hands down. It is as good as The Mirage if not better. Service and room quality are as good as Green Vally Ranch.
WYNN is a beautiful hotel. The lack of theme doesn't matter. The staff are exceptionally courteous and friendly. Housekeeping was excellent and they cleaned the room every day before 3pm. On our first day, a supervisor knocked and checked to make sure we were satisfied with the service from housekeeping. The rooms are stunning. We booked a resort room and got upgraded to a Strip view on 27. Our rate had dropped by $175 from the time we booked to our arrival and they did not hesitate to honour the lower rate. The bathtub is to die for and this will be the most comfortable bed you will ever sleep in. The whole feel is one of total luxury.
The pool area is great and again the staff are friendly. Everyone seems to be happy to be working there. Security is tight when trying to access the elevators or pool deck but security were very courteous and friendly in checking room cards.
I went armed with a volly of things to look for to criticise because of what I had read here. I found none of the common complaints in evidence.
Please try this hotel, it is exceptional and it would seem that any early teething troubles have been ironed out.

11  Thank andyfitch