“Serenity off the Strip”
Review of La Scala Restaurant - CLOSED

La Scala Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Paradise
Transit: Bus stop right in front, or two blocks walking distance from the convention center.
Reviewed March 6, 2012

I am not a fan of over paying for food on the Strip so I look for nearby spots that get me to more 'local' restaurants that are worth the trip. After reading other reviews about La Scala, I decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did.

The food was wonderful, and portions were plentiful. The fried calamari was the best I've had in years: lightly breaded, fresh, and cooked perfectly; the lasagna was a bit soupy in cheese and sauce and still excellent; and the stuffed pork tenderloin was over-the-top delicious and too large a portion to finish. The service polite, timely, helpful, and appreciative.

The only demerits are for the ambiance...the restaurant decor is a bit dated...and value... the wine is too expensive relative to the balance of the menu. I may be a bit harsh here as our total bill for 4 including tip was only $260 and that was for 2 bottles, 3 apps, 3.5 entrees, 1 dessert and 1 coffee.

Finally, be aware that because La Scala is off the strip, getting a cab back to our hotel was a bit of a problem. Despite a call by the staff, we still waited 20 minutes for a cab.

I will definitely return. It's a great deal compared to the Strip alternatives.

Reviewed February 6, 2012

My wife and I tried La Scala for the first time several days ago. We found the food to be good but not great. However the atmosphere was terrific. They had a female singer who was really good.

All in all an enjoyable experience.

Reviewed September 29, 2011

Wonderful restaurant off the strip. The ambience was old vegas with the leather booths tucked in the corners - half expected to see Dean, Sammy and Frank in a corner. The martini's were the best ever - so smooth. And the calamari appetizer was as tender as can be. Wait staff very attentive and the opera singing waiter was an extra treat at the end of the meal. The cabaret singer was excellent as well and very low key, so you could enjoy him while carrying on a conversation. Food excellent, presentation perfect, and the chef/owner made a visit to our table. All in all, a real treat in the style we loved in Vegas before all the new chain restaurants. A gem that I'm not sure I should be sharing for selfish reasons. Loved it, Ginger.

1  Thank opieheather
Reviewed August 15, 2011

we decided to do a search on tripadvisor and found La Scala. What the heck it's off the strip . The cab driver asked how did we find this place? we told him and he said this is where all the locals go. Our kind of place. A 5 star dinner. You can even order off the menu and tell them what you like and they made it. Everything was delicious. The spinach ravioli's were delicious, the fettucini with chicken was the best my son said he ever had. Great wine selection and service was great. Highly recommend this little secret. If it was located on the strip would be reservation only.

1  Thank Isherbear
Reviewed May 28, 2011

My husband and I ate here on a whim (May 28th). We live only a few miles down the road and we were hungry. The service and the table were nice but that was about it. The sauce that the escargot was prepared in was overly salty and tasted like curry. The stuffed calamari was steaming hot on the outside but lukewarm on the inside. Additionally, it didn't taste like much. All we could really taste was the tomato sauce it was served with. My husband's stuffed pork chop entree was okay but my "Cornish game hen" was terrible. I had high hopes because it was presented to me while still on fire, but was sorely disappointed. The sauce seemed identical to what the escargot was served with. It was overpowering. The hen was served in a myriad of pieces like they were buffalo wings. I have had Cornish game hen many times (in French restaurants) and it has always been served whole. It looked & tasted like they bought chicken wings at the neighboring Papa Johns and just re-heated and put sauce on it. We skipped dessert and got a pint of ice cream at 7-11 on the way home as I was still hungry from not finishing my meal. The bread and butter were good but we will never go there again. The bill was around $100 and we each had a glass of wine and Pellegrino.