“Not happy at all” 1 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Hollywood, Maryland
“Not happy at all”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Stayed at this hotel in 2006 when we got married and so for our anniversary we went back. check-in was slow (330 pm and only one person on the front). Was offered Wi-Fi to compensate but the Wi-Fi was never removed from my bill although it was clearly noted in the my account. Room was decent size as was the bathroom but the shower stall and towel racks did not make sense and you either soaked your towel or soaked the flow. First night was horrible storms which killed the power in the hotel from 8pm to 8am the next morning. We were not compensated for having to walk up 11 flights of stairs or stay without light or AC for the evening. We were advised that the hotel had to wait for the insurance claim to come in first, still waiting for compensation. Next morning woke up without power. Tried to get information from front desk. They advised that the whole city was without power which I knew from looking out the window was not true. Had grabbed the room with the "Free American Breakfast" at Envy but since nobody could tell us when Envy was going to open since their was no power we walked to McDonalds about a half a mile away. Upon return the power was on. The second morning needed to do laundry. Was on east coast time so went to get change at the front at 530. They did not have any and asked me to come back at 0800. Luckily one of the folks up front was able to make change to I didn't have to kill time waiting for a muli-million dollar business to get quarters. We ate at envy for breakfast and charged it to our room as we were advised but the less than cordial front desk. At check out I observed the Wi-Fi charge on my bill, the full amount for sunday breakfast and no discount for Saturday morning breakfast even though we didn't eat there and the power was not on in time for the start of breakfast. I was told the "Free American Breakfast" was really up to $35 although my reservation did not say their was a limit. I was told that everyone knows that is the amount and there was nothing they manager could do. She could also not explain why nothing not even the $35 was not taken off for the sunday breakfast at all and the full amount was there. Eventually she took off the Wi-Fi, the sunday breakfast and a $35 credit for Saturday non-existent breakfast. I was pretty bummed about he experience to include the lack of professionalism from the staff. The valets were awesome and very personable. Nobody else in the hotel could smile or say good morning once. Very disappointed Even though we have a tie to our wedding doubt I will be returning to the hotel. On a good note very close to monorail to get out on to the strip. Rest of area is shady and would not venture from the hotel to the east.

Green Features: Other places that make this claim have recycle bins in the room or on the floors by the elevators, didn't see anything environmentally friendly.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank tom B
TimHerman, General Manager at Renaissance Las Vegas Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to post your thoughts on your recent stay with us. If we have not yet been able to rectify your situation, or if you would simply be interested in discussing with me - I would personally be interested in speaking with you regarding your stay and would welcome you to contact me at your convenience in my office at (702) 784-5761. You can also email me at Tim.Herman@interstatehotels.com should email be your preference. We would never want a wedding anniversary to be spoiled. We would like to ensure this has been resolved completely to your satisfaction.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Tim Herman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

Decided to try this hotel again while in Vegas, the staff remains excellent. The concierge has stepped up their menu options and food quality. The gym is very good. The rooms are clean and nice. A short mile or so to the strip. One thing, however, which is VERY unfortunate is they have changed their room thermostat controls. Not sure if in every room, but certainly the 2 rooms I had while trying to find functioning a/c. The thermostats are now controlled from the engineering room, which means no personalized setting. My room never really got cool even after switching rooms and the engineer working on it for hours. The room temperature issue was an entire mess the whole time and was never resolved. It was very hot outside so this was a real bummer. They said the change was made to 'cut costs'. Sounds ridiculous to me, but the staff was nice about it and I eventually gave up and made it through the week in a lukewarm room. Doubt I'll return, especially in the summer heat.

Room Tip: Western view gets the strip. Prepare for weak air conditioning options.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Dc2011dc
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor.

We are sorry to learn about your not-so-perfect stay with us. We absolutely understand your need for comfort during the summer heat and would never prevent a guest from achieving a comfortable temperature in their guest room. It is disheartening to hear that you were not given correct information on our new thermostats. Yes, we are able to monitor temperatures in our guest rooms; however, we are not able to override your settings. We appreciate your feedback on the information given to you, as we have been able to properly educate our Ambassadors on the capabilities of our new systems.

Thank you again so much for your time composing this review. We would love to have you stay with us again in the future and we assure you a much different experience.

Colton, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

As a horrible storm hit Las Vegas we has floods, thunder and lightning!!! Well the electricity went out for miles and this was no exception for the Renaissance. My hat goes off to the staff for the professionalism that was showed. This would be difficult for anyone to have to explain the electricity going out. You guys are truly the best. By the way this is on of the nicest hotels in Vegas. Thanks guys and gals you all Rock!!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BEN M
Thank you so much for your review. We sincerely appreciate you calling attention to our willingness and ability to deliver great service in the face of adversity. We had not faced such a challenge since opening, so to know our Ambassadors were able to rise to the occasion in an unfamiliar situation makes our leadership very proud.

Thank you again. We certainly hope to be able to serve you again in the future.

Venice,CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Without a doubt, this property looks nice but is quite isolated from the rest of Las Vegas. It's fine for conference because there are no distractions. If you do not have a car in the summer, it can be isolating. The food is expensive and bland/unimaginative. Close to the monorail for trips to the fun zone.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Strip
Green Features: Environmentally-friendly practices were prevalent throughout the hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank HalH23
TimHerman, General Manager at Renaissance Las Vegas Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

We apologize that your recent experience with us, from a dining perspective, was less than perfect. We certainly understand the need for a variety of dining outlets with appealing offerings and price points, which is why we are in the process of punching up the offerings at our casual outlet – Grill 55. If your future travel plans include Las Vegas, we invite you to stop in and see the changes we have made.

Thank you again for your comments. We hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Grafton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stayed here in April for a conference. I took a cab from the airport and it was about a 15 minute ride and cost $25 each way. The hotel was clean, modern, and the conference facilities were nice. I liked the fact there was no casino. Definitely a low key hotel. I didn't use the pool, but the area is not very big and is in the middle of the hotel which I thought was strange. If you want a quiet hotel off the strip, this is a decent option.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ree-Travels
TimHerman, General Manager at Renaissance Las Vegas Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for your recent visit with us and for your positive feedback. It is truly a pleasure to know you enjoyed your time with us and found us to be suitable for your business travel needs. We hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you in the future.

arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

Had a great time at this hotel several years ago. Not as good this time around. Over 100 degree heat with a thermostat that you're not allowed to manage yourself is just about the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. I mean.....what are we paying for??!! Also, paper thin walls enabled us to be awakened in the middle of the night by fighting in the room next door. Another odd thing was that there was only one mirror in the room....in the bathroom. Yeah.....because we all know only one person gets ready at a time....yeah right! Yes its great that there's no casino and no smoking but still probably won't be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank arizona_8
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

We are disappointed to learn of your less than desirable experience with us recently. We would like to assure you that the information relayed to you regarding temperature control in our guest rooms is not factual. It is unfortunate that you were given inaccurate information and for that we apologize. Please know that, yes, we are able to monitor guest room temperatures online to ensure there are no extreme temperatures in rooms that are not occupied. We would not prevent a guest from being comfortable in their room and we should have done more to make certain that you were comfortable. We appreciate your feedback, as we have been able to now properly educate our Ambassadors on the capabilities of our new systems.

Thank you again so much for your comments. We do hope if your travels in the future include Las Vegas, that you would stay with us.

Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed here for two nights. I selected the hotel partly because it does no have a casino, is non-smoking, is close to the monorail and partly because of the positive reviews on tripadvisor.

I stayed in a king room (1014) and paid extra for a strip view. It was nice view, across the Wynn golf course, affording a particularly attractive vista at night. The room was spacious and comfortable. The overall design of the hotel is very nice and contemporary, although personally I did not find the pool area very inviting.

My main problem - and it was significant - was the paper thin walls. It was so upsetting. I could hear phone calls (both sides of the call, as the people in room 1012 next to me loved using speaker phone and spent a lot of time on the phone having protracted and dull conversations) as well as the TV and personal conversations (I got to know the family of three in room 1016 very well through their banal conversations which continued long into the night well after the child ought to have been in bed), not to mention the moving of furniture, closing of drawers and even the scraping o cutlery next door. Not to mention the opening and closing of doors in the hallway. My point is - there weren't wild parties; this was all everyday noise that I should not have been subjected to. I don't have supersonic hearing but I heard conversations in both neighboring rooms with crystal clear clarity.

Although the hotel looks great and has many things going for it, I personally value quiet and sleep quality and I would not stay here again unless I heard that they had done something about the dreadful walls.

Room Tip: Assuming that all rooms have the same paper thin walls, I would try to get a room with no occupants...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank scotthumphries
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

We apologize for your recent experience with us. We do understand sensitivity to noise from other guests and would like to opportunity in the future to show that we would do everything possible to mitigate any inconvenience you were experiencing during your stay.