“Just keeps getting better”

Renaissance Las Vegas Hotel
Ranked #63 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Hillsborough, NJ
“Just keeps getting better”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

This was my fifth stay at The Renaissance Las Vegas over the past seven years and with each trip the hotel, staff and the facility itself just keep getting better and better.

While I’ve stayed at just about every major hotel in Vegas at least once, I will typically stay at the Cosmopolitan when coming to town on a pleasure trip and the Renaissance while on business as they are both affiliated with Marriott and I’m a Platinum Elite member.

To exemplify the outstanding quality of service delivered at the Renaissance, I checked in around 11:00 PM on a Tuesday night and was greeted cheerfully by the bellman as I exited my cab and I was escorted to the front desk. The front desk supervisor also greeted me with a smile and an enthusiastic welcome, checked me in and upgraded me to a suite based on my Elite status.

I only bring this up because there are so many times I arrive and check into a hotel (especially after a long trip), that the staff almost appears to be bothered by the fact that they should have to do their job. Little things like this go a long way in my book as to whether I’ll stay at a property again in the future.

While I was tired, I was in the mood for a cappuccino. Due to the late hour, the restaurant had already closed and the only thing open was the lobby bar. I asked the bartender (who happened to turn out to be the GM of the restaurant, Ryan Wolf), if it would be possible to get a cappuccino. He said he’d see if he could get someone in the back (of the restaurant), to fire up the cappuccino machine. Less than three minutes later out comes a server with a freshly made cappuccino in a ceramic cup, plate, spoon and assorted sugars (I would have been fine with a Styrofoam cup and stirring stick). When I asked how much it was, the server cheerfully said “no charge, enjoy”. When I attempted to give him a gratuity, he again said “not necessary, have a great night”. This set the tone for the type of service I’d receive throughout my three night stay.

The restaurant by the way, Envy, is arguably one of the best steakhouses in all of Vegas. I don’t think it gets its due because it’s not in one of the major strip hotels but even if you don’t stay at the Renaissance you should make it a point to come to Envy for an outstanding dining experience.

While I believe the hotel is approaching ten years old, you’d never know it by the condition of the rooms, common areas or decor of the hotel. Everything is immaculate. The lobby and rooms take on a trendy, boutique look (somewhat similar to the Cosmo but on a much smaller more business scale).

Keep in mind however that the Renaissance is not close to the strip. It’s adjacent to the Las Vegas Convention Center which makes it one of the most coveted properties to stay in during major conventions (although room prices can skyrocket at these times). If you don’t have a car, a taxi will run you around $12-$15 each way to just about any hotel on the strip. Another option is the monorail. There’s a stop less than a five minute walk from the entrance of the hotel. You can buy a 24 hour pass for $12.

Being that the Renaissance is a “business” hotel, there’s also no casino and no elaborate pool complex. While they do have a nice pool (for a business type hotel), it’s situated in the center of the hotel and receives only limited sun. While some may consider this lack of amenities a drawback for a Vegas hotel, these are just a couple of the reasons why I choose to stay here.
There’s a nice gym with ample cardio machines and weights. There is also a nice concierge lounge on the top floor serving the typical breakfast and evening cocktails found at most other Renaissance and Marriott properties.

The Renaissance is simply a great hotel run by great people. You should make it a point to stay here especially if you’re a Marriott member.

Room Tip: If you want a view, ask for a room facing the Wynn.
2 Thank HeyMan76
BarfieldRenaissance, General Manager at Renaissance Las Vegas Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
We sincerely thank you for your recent stay with us and especially for your loyalty over the past seven years. We take comfort in reviews such as yours as it is gratifying to hear your experience with us has not just been consistent, but it has improved over time. We’re thrilled to know our ambassadors are delighted to serve – around the clock. Your positive recognition of so many characteristics of our hotel here on TripAdvisor is sincerely appreciated. Also, we will be sure to pass along your kind words to Ryan. We are certain he will be happy to learn that you were satisfied with the hospitality he provided during your stay.

We truly hope you will choose us when you travel to Las Vegas again.

Jeff Mayers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 31, 2012

This hotel is probably the closest hotel to the convention center in Las Vegas. It sits right across the parking lot. Nice rooms. Good bathroom. Clean. Complimentary valet. The pool area is small and shaded in the afternoon. We did not try the restaurants in the hotel, as we were out during the day and evening. Great beds and down pillows.
Nice Concierge Lounge. The ladies working in the lounge were very friendly and accommodating. A good value for a Renaissance. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for a city view!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sundance1
BarfieldRenaissance, General Manager at Renaissance Las Vegas Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you for your recent visit with us and for your positive feedback. It is wonderful to hear that there were so many aspects of our property that you enjoyed during your stay. Should your future travel plans include Las Vegas, we will be looking forward to your arrival.

Teaneck, New Jersey
Reviewed August 27, 2012

This hotel is very clean and comfortable , the pool is very small and the restaurant is very expensive for simple foods but the hotel customer servive is one the best . do your self a favor and get a car to get around town .

Room Tip: Ask for room facing the strip its the best view
1 Thank REALSOUP1
BarfieldRenaissance, General Manager at Renaissance Las Vegas Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay and received such excellent service from our staff. We hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you in the future.

st.george
Reviewed August 25, 2012

The Renaissance Las Vegas was a great alternative to the busy craziness of the strip. The staff was very professional... they didn't show much emotion but nonetheless were professional and very responsive to needs. When we arrived our TV wasn't working and the people we talked to were knowledgable and fixed it right away. bed was very comfy and the little coffee shop they had in the lobby was great. Will stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
BarfieldRenaissance, General Manager at Renaissance Las Vegas Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
We sincerely thank you for your recent visit with us. We are very happy to be able to share your thoughts and praise with our ambassadors. Examples of service that left an impression that would make you happy to return are an inspiration to all of us at the Renaissance Las Vegas. Your recognition for the service provided by our staff here on TripAdvisor is greatly appreciated.

We truly hope you will choose us when you travel to Las Vegas again.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 22, 2012

The check in lady was very professional to the point that she did not display any caring or hospitality. I liked the new method that as soon as you enter the room the t.v. turns on and welcomes you by name. The building was not as well kept as other Renaissance properties. The bathroom needed touch ups. The carpet had multiple stains. The room just did not have the Renaissance feel to it. On the previous night I had stayed at Springhills Suites, a Marriott brand as well but noticeably cheaper. Honestly, I liked the Sprinhills sites much better than I liked Renaissance. I have stayed at Renaissance in Dallas, Paris (La Defense area), and Richardson, TX and the one in Las Vegas did not live up to the brand.

We ate breakfast at the Envy which was nice and reasonably priced ($15.00 for omelet with coffee and orange juice).

The location (Paradise Road) is close to Monrail station. You cannot walk to the strip as it will take at least thirty minutes and it did not appear to be safe, particularly at nights. However, rental cars in Vegas are cheap and their parking is free.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank T1998
BarfieldRenaissance, General Manager at Renaissance Las Vegas Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our property.

Although we were happy to learn there were highlights during your stay with us, we must apologize for the service shortfalls you experienced during your stay. All of our guest rooms are to be inspected daily to ensure our cleanliness standards have been met. We missed the mark in this instance and appreciate your feedback, so we can address these challenges and prevent them from happening in the future.

Thank you again for your comments. We hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Eastern Sierra, CA
Reviewed August 21, 2012

With the exception of the wonderful morning staff at the club lounge, I got the impression that nobody cared that I chose to stay at this hotel. I've stayed at numerous Marriott properties and was underwhelmed. A bit more than a week after our stay here we opted for the Strip on our return and had a better experience for 1/2 the price. Despite any loyalty I may have for Marriott I will not be visiting here again. The carpet was stained and the AC labored to keep the room warm rather than hot (yes, it was summer in Vegas).
The pluses of this hotel are the free parking, lack of a casino, and the club lounge.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank terere2
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on your recent stay with us. We always share positive and negative feedback from TripAdvisor reviews with our ambassadors in order to recognize positive comments and train our staff to eliminate the negative experiences such as yours. We were pleased to hear of your satisfaction with our ambassadors in the Club Lounge, but concerned by the impression we left with you otherwise. We apologize for falling short of our mutual expectations. Reviews such as yours let us know where we need to focus on service and attention to detail.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is a great hotel off the Strip but few minutes driving from the main hotels and best restaurants in Las Vegas. The service at the hotel is great, parking easy, check in and check out in seconds and large and clean rooms.. I would suggest this hotel to everybody who wants to go to Vegas and avoid big and crowded hotels on the strip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fernando F
BarfieldRenaissance, General Manager at Renaissance Las Vegas Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you for your recent visit with us and for your positive review. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that our property was suitable to your travel needs. Should your future travel plans include Las Vegas, we hope you will stay with us again.