“Second time not so a Grand!”

Downtown Grand, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Ranked #74 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Oceanside, California
“Second time not so a Grand!”
Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

The first time I stayed here I loved it...this time wasn't as great...the hotel is new, so it's clean and the rooms are nice...the casino is small but they have an assortment of games...we really enjoyed the black jack..The pool area is small but every well decorated, looked like a great place to party. Only a couple things bothered me, on check in we were only allowed one key card because they didn't have enough and they stated that they offer free coffee in the lobby in the morning...no coffee machines in room. When I went down to get some, there was a long line which I didn't mind...what I did mind was they ran out of paper cups...the guy brought only five more for a line of people..I was the next in line after the cups came...the coffee ran out and there was no cream...it seemed like the hotel didn't care...don't think I will stay here again.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Colby1970
Jimmy P, Vice President of Operations at Downtown Grand, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Dear Colby1970,

I sincerely apologize for the service failure you experienced with our complimentary coffee bar. I thank you for your review as it let's us know where improvement is needed. I do hope we get another chance to offer you excellent customer service such as you received during your first stay.

Jimmy Palmer
Vice President of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (528)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

First of all, if you follow your GPS directions, it will take you to an area that appears like you can park there to register but it's not the case. When I did & registered the front desk snidely remarked I needed to go around to valet before going to my room. I did but they should have a sign at that location indicating so. They have 1 other sign but it's not at this curb.

Anyways, moving on, I know this is Vegas and few people go there to stay in their room but we were tired & need to do business work when we arrived.
We went to the room (which was fine other than..) there was absolutely the worse internet service ever! Also the television did not work and we needed maintenance to come reset everything. This took about 45 min and it did not improve the internet. Then, they do not have a business center! The front desk the following morning was really accommodating with scanning documents for us but it does invade the privacy issue.

We appreciated how smoke-free the atmosphere was throughout the hotel & casino!

Although we didn't use the pool we walked around the area & it looked clean & fun.

I recommended the place to family who like to stay downtown. However, we cut our reservation short (from 2 nights to 1) and went to LaQuinta for 4 more days.

• Stayed July 2014
5 Thank Shellarella
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 20, 2014

Great stay in this hotel! Everybody was so kind-from reception to cleaning, the rooms clean and the price a non-plus-ultra! Just few meters from the Freemont Street and 6 min drive to the new Strip. Simply perfect, parking and early coffee included. I would suggest to everybody to sleep here, enjoy the pool and respect the beautiful and peaceful atmosphere!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank laparente
Jan B, Director of Sales at Downtown Grand, an Ascend Collection Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
Hi laparente,
Thank you for the wonderful comments! It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay and that it was relaxing. Hope to see you soon.
Golden, Colorado
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Stayed here for the first time, loved it! the decor is reminiscent of the 50's, with its orange and turquoise accents. The staff is friendly and helpful, the location is great. Just a block to Fremont St, far enough away to have quiet rooms, but close enough if you want to enjoy the action. Plenty of restaurants in the hotel or simply cross the street for even more choices! I love the walk-in showers, WiFi worked great, small fitness room but it was enough. The rooftop pool was lovely, the water was cold, and the sun HOT! I love the fact that they have a non-smoking tower! All in All a great place to stay.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Angel1217
Dear Angel1217,
Thanks for the great comments! We love our decor as well and are happy to hear that it is appreciated. Hope to have you back soon.
Macomb, Michigan
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Hotel is great. Modern sleek décor, remind me of European minimalist. Rooms were attraxtive, roomy, bathroom was nice.

What we didn't like was where they skim0ed - one set of towels each, no extras. Very small bottles of shampoo. Certainly not enough for a woman with lots of hair (like e) and a man. And the worst - they include morning coffee, but you have to go downstairs to get it. They do not have a coffee pot in the room.

We found the casino to be terrible. We don't like the newer style slot machines, and of course this being a new property all the machines were new. And they paid Very Poorly.

Hotel location was very good, just a short one block walk over to Fremont, yet far enough away to block out all the noise.

As attractive as this hotel was, I doubt we would stay here again. For the price there are too many other places to stay we might like better.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank barbaradixon
Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

The pool at this place is a hidden gem. I was staying at the D but their pool is under construction so they gave me a free pass for "Picnic" which is the pool at this place.

As crappy as the downtown pools can be, I had no idea what to expect. The D pool was a crap hole that you had to bring your own alcohol and snacks to. I was expecting that and just wanted to sit in the water and read a magazine. So I went to the website of this hotel to figure out what their pool was like. I wasn't able to figure it out so I loaded my bag with my magazines, sunscreen, and minimal cash and went.

What a surprise! On the weekends they have a poolside beach party with blackjack tables and a live DJ. Drinks and food are less expensive than poolside at the strip.

I ended up hitting the ATM and playing poolside blackjack two days in a row.

The pool is also open to the public with a 2 drink minimum purchase.

The place wasn't as hopping as it should be for the type of experience it is. This hotel could truly increase their revenue if they advertised their pool experience in a better way. I had a great time in the sun and shade in Vegas here!

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Kalikokat1117
Dear Kalikokat1117,
Thank you for the great review of our signature pool, Picnic! It truly is a great experience. Thank you for the suggestions and we hope to have you back soon.
Palm Bay
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Nice property with parking next door. Very impressed with the motel accomodations...comfortable beds .Excelllent 3rd floor pool with a nice overview of the area. This motel is on the NORTH end of the strip. Don't hesitate on a visit here, as you will be pleasently surprised with the newly rehabbed area ...music.lights,& ACTION !

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Norm BEAR L
Dear Norm L,
Thanks for the great review! We couldn't agree more, downtown Vegas is truly becoming a hot spot! Please think of us on your next visit.