“Suckered into timeshare presentation - here's what they do”

The Grandview at Las Vegas
Ranked #48 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
California
“Suckered into timeshare presentation - here's what they do”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2010

Be aware of the assembly line production that they have for luring people into the timeshare. There were at least 4 counters located within the Venetian, where they ask you f you're married and want tickets to certain shows for low to no cost as long as you go to a no pressure presentation of the Grandview. We thought that since the average cost of Blue Man Group tickets were about $140, it would be worth our time to spend 2 hours to listen to what they had to say. We even had to put down a $40 deposit with the promise of getting $20 back plus the tickets. We drove there, and I'm glad we did. We found that there was little to no parking, with no clear building descriptions laid out for people driving in for the presentation on their own, so we found a parking place and walked - all over, until we found where we were to be. After being introduced to our personal attendant, we were whisked over to a room with others and closed in while we viewed a video and listened to the benefits of owning a timeshare. Then we toured the newest building and amenities and told of the casino industry's plans to expand the strip out to this area within the next few years. We then were brought up to the 2nd floor of the original meet 'n greet building, to have a sandwich and get the first timeshare offer - I think it was about $41k. All this time, we were in awe at the amounts of people hoarding in for these presentations We explained our financial situation and was told that even those with terrible credit have qualified for their services. We kindly declined the offer and told them we have a timeshare already with another company and she wanted to know everything and then compared it to their plan. We told her again that we couldn't do anything and she dropped the price. Then she brought a nicely dressed facts and figures guy over who tried to convince us of the benefits and we again declined. He then tried to divide the timeshare into one room instead of two and do it for half price. Our same argument applied and he tried to lower the amount and timeshare offers again. By this time, my hubby was getting annoyed at the continuous offers and told them "no means no." They then said thank you and told us they would let us out. As we went through to another room, the attendant then "recognized" someone that she worked with and introduced us. The new guy then proceeded to ask us closing exit interview questions, but then asked us if we could afford "this?" Upon our next no, he then offered us another deal to purchase into foreclosure units at bargain basement prices. Again, we said no. Then he moved us into another room, where we waited our turn to be allowed to leave. Finally, they called our name, verified our tickets and gave us $20 of our $40 back - 4 1/2 hours later! We were thinking about the rooms and offers they made to us and were considering how we might be able to do it for the future. Later that night, we attended the Blue Man Group at the Venetian (awesome show.) And, while waiting for it to start, we had a conversation with the couple next to us. They went for the same presentation the day before. We compared notes and found that they received better incentives for seeing the presentation than we did - and their tickets were even free! They too had the same experiences and ended up finding the Jockey Club next to City Center. The plans were apparently, better and the got a much better timeshare deal for their money. The rooms may not be as nicely updated as the Grandview, but they are right there, in the middle of the action and have more points and offers for much less money. Now, we have more to think about. Please be aware of how long this presentation is and how much your time is worth - is it worth it for he tickets they offer?

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
79 Thank robbme

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (592)
Northern NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2010

We stayed at the Grandview in mid-March 2010. I think if you are going to stay in Las Vegas for a week, this timeshare resort is perfect! You were out of the hustle and bustle of the major hotel area, but also right next to South Point if you wanted to go to a casino. If you are horse people, it’s good to know that South Point has an equine arena, with various events going on. For me, that was definitely a plus! During our stay, they had a Quarter Horse Competition. They were going to have Bull Riding competition there later in the month also.

Our building (Daisy) was recently renovated, and was designated as a “smoking” building; a good idea to keep the smoking units together. The living quarters were quite large, very clean, and well equipped with everything you would need for a 7 night stay. We stocked the full size refrigerator with snacks, and usually made a hot breakfast each day. It was great to lounge around the “apartment” during the morning, and not have to feel pressed to get dressed to go out for breakfast. The unit was large enough so we weren't in each other's space, like we would in a hotel room. We had a great view of the Strip, which really didn’t seem like 7 miles away, but was. Yes, I think you would need a car, but they offer shuttle services to the Strip and Supermarket. Parking was never an issue for us, and we usually returned to the resort well after midnight. One negative point, the units are a little loud. The floors are tiled, and when the people above you move their chairs in the dining room, the sound reverberates throughout the whole unit. I tried very hard not to drag the chairs, so not to disturb the people below me. Also the Jacuzzi was very loud when filling up. One morning the people above me filled up theirs, and I thought it was my BF filling up ours! Oh yes, and don't work the appliances if you are trying to sleep...both the dishwasher and washing machine were pretty noisy too!

Check in and check out was a breeze, although 10:00 am check out is a little early, and they threaten to charge you over $100.00 for a late check out. But there is a lot of cleaning involved with the units, so I can understand the policy. We were asked to attend the presentation during check in, with the incentive of getting free show tickets, but we declined. We were called once again in our room, declined once more, and were never approached again.

All in all, we really enjoyed our stay at Grandview. It was like our little oasis in the middle of the desert.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MexicaliRose_1
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2010

My husband and I purchased our timeshare in 2008 @ The Grandview. We never used it until this year. Being that this was our first time using it we wanted to stay at our home site since everyone raved about it. Our check in process was fast and easy, being that we are owners we were guided by the courteous staff to go to the VIP line. It took less than 5 minutes to check in. We were given a one bedroom suite on the 16th floor in the new Daisy Bldg. When we entered we were in AWE at how beautiful everything was. The bathroom was beautiful, mosiac tile in the shower a full size jetted hot tub and a sit area in front of the mirror. Every kitchen had all matching Whirlpool appliances, and granite counter tops. The kitchen had every utensil, plate, pot, pan and down to a ice cream scooper is available to you. It was like being at home. We did our laundry and even cleaned our bathrooms ourselves because we felt so comfortable. Staff as other visitors were courteous and smiling. The only thing that my husband and I didn't like was paying for the internet service. We couldn't understand why you can stay at the Hilton, Wyndam, or Hyatt and get free Wi Fi but have to pay here. But I would still recommend this timeshare/hotel to a friend regardless of what the other reviews have had to say. Be sure to have a rental car, this timeshare is about 15 minutes away from the strip. Southpoint Casino is right next door with the Outlet down the street about 5 minutes away. I have not added the pictures to my computer I wish I would have I would've posted them. Trust me you would enjoy your time here. It's cheaper being an owner than paying on a daily.

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank teanuh
Ca.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2010

Had read many reviews and was not sure what to expect, so... I was pleasantly surprised, Very nice resort! Our 2 bedroom condo is "Perfect" Adult kids in one unit and we are in ajoining unit. They have a common foyer but all else is separate, Nice and spacious and Love the Jacuzzi tubs! All Employees we have come across have been very nice and pleasant.

2 Thank Cybrpinn
Corona, Ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2010

My husband, myself and 5 teenagers stayed at the Grand View for seven days in April 2010. The rooms were beautiful and very nicely decorated in rich colors. Each room has a nice double jacuzzi tub plus the other usual furnishings. We attended a fairly painless time share presentation that didn't eat up too much of our time. We got $175 in $25 certificates to use for food or bowling at the South Point Resort directly across the street. South Point has maybe 6 restaurants and most of them have pretty tasty food. We had prime rib and General Tsao's Chicken at the Cafe, both dishes were very good. Our favorite was the lunch special at the Mexican restaurant: $8.99 each for a Margarita, soup, beans, rice, and two entrees. We even splurged on a shrimp stuffed avocado. Everything was delicious and it only cost us a little more than our $25 coupon. We also tried the Italian restaurant; the crusty rolls were fabulous but the entrees were bland.

The Grand View is in a great location; close enough to the Strip, Walmart, Sam's Club and many, many other shopping and grocery stores.

I'd visit the Grand View again.

Highlight of the trip: Red Rock Canyon visitor center and scenic drive. The visitor center was remodeled in 2009. It is a beautiful facility incorporating fanciful contemporary art into the informational displays. The drive is 13 miles but we spent 3 hours climbing the rocks before the first mile marker. Next time I'll set aside an entire day for rock climbing. Great time for parents and teenagers.

1 Thank zeewanderer
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2010

Yes it was down from the main strip but other than that it was ok. The casino next door has bowling and a movie theater that my son enjoyed. If you don't have tickets before you go. I would recommend that you check out the reduce price ticket places that they have around. I went to see Mac king that my son really liked. (19 each), Nathan Burton (24each) and also saw KÀ Cirque du Soleil (which was about 150 for each). MY son said that he would like to see Mac King again. It’s a really good show for kids. The room was really comfortable and we didn’t hear any of the other people staying there. Check out was the fastest ever. If you check out stuff ahead you can save money and enjoyed the area. Spring break many of the good shows were selling out fast but if you go when there it’s not very busy. You can wait and get cheaper price tickets on cirque du soliel shows and also dining.

Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank kim33wi
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2010

This is one of the best managed timeshares I've been to. Some of the timeshare trades I've done with RCI over the years has made me regret I ever got involved with timeshares. But this property always restores my faith in the system. It's hard to maintain properties that are family-friendly. They usually get pretty beat up. But this place is swarming with friendly staff working to keep the place neat and tidy. Even the original rooms are beautifully maintained and current. Yes, it's a few miles south of the strip. But I don't need to be in the center of noise and congestion.

1 Thank buy4roger