“Over promised, under delivered”

The Grandview at Las Vegas
Ranked #50 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
New York
“Over promised, under delivered”
Reviewed September 3, 2006

We needed to go to Las Vegas for the MAGIC tradeshow for a week and I saw some great rates. My main concern before booking was internet access and transportation as the Grandview is ALL THE WAY DOWN AT THE END OF THE STRIP - soooo NOT close. I called TWICE - the first to ask and the second time to confirm - and I was told the following:
1) Internet - Dial up is available in the rooms ( ugh!) But you can use wireless downstairs in the main lobby or use their computer room (for 15 minutes MAX before the systems boots you out).
2) Shuttle Service - They have a shuttle that runs all the time.

Point number 1 was correct and managable.
Point number 2 was a blatant LIE. They DO have a shuttle, but it doesn't start until 10am. (Our tradeshow started at 8am). Also, there is some quirky hour at 8:30pm that they just don't pick up. So anyone looking to come back to the hotel from the strip (between 7:35pm and 9:25pmwould have to wait until the 9:30pm shuttle. That sucked and they don't point it out to you. Needlesstosay, I was not HONESTLY informed of the shuttle's limitations until AFTER I was checking in. I was furious - what's the use in calling ahead if you're going to be lied to?? ALSO, keep in mind that they tell you on the printed sheet with the shuttle times that the return ride picks you up at the REGISTRATION area of the Tropicana. LIE. You have to go around to the back where the buses drop off - they don't tell you this at the Grandview OR at the Tropicana - they just assume you'll figure it out.

Other issues: When we got in, we had tons of luggage and we arrived a little late - around 12:30am as our flight was delayed. The guy who checked us in, CHRIS, informed us that we would have to lug all our stuff to the room (which took him 20 minutes to find our reservation as they are completely disorganized) without a rolling cart. He even said he'd go look for one and then told us there weren't any. While my husband and I were struggling to get our bags to the room at the far end of the complex, we encountered SEVERAL rolling carts which further exemplified the staff's either laziness or lack of care for the guests.

Maid service - We were there for a week. They say that housekeeping will come in the middle of the week to clean up a little. NEVER HAPPENED.

Pool towels - If you get to the pool later in the evening, better bring your own towel b/c they will not replenish them throughout the day.

Taxi to the strip - Be prepared to rent a car or find other means of transportation to get around. To the convention center, we spent $35 one way or $25 to the edge of the strip. TOO EXPENSIVE.

South Coast Casino - Pretty nice as its right next door. Get the fun book - it's pretty valuable and you can save a little money. Their shuttle starts at 8am - take it if you don't want to have to wait 2 more hours for the Grandview's.

Food - There's a little convenience store up the street at the Shell gas station and a little further on the opposite side (Jay's) for small groceries. In the mini mall with the Shell station, there's a great liquor store - they have a good selection for reasonable pricing. Also, across the street from the Grandview and the South Coast is a little 24hr restaurant called the Boulevard. The food's good and a less expensive than the South Coast's place. Try the spinach/bacon pizza and the ceasar salad - we enjoyed it!

Construction - We were in the far building of the complex. The SAGE building is right across from the new wing they constructing. They start early and there's probably some noise related. See if you can get a room in one of the other buildings.

All in all, the hotel rooms at the Grandview were nice. I would go back only if I was completely on vacation and wasn't expecting to go to the strip a lot. You need a car there and a lot of money to travel. Don't expect the staff to be very accomodating or competent.

Stayed August 2006
25 Thank forknspoo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (615)
georgia
Reviewed August 12, 2006

I just LOVED,LOVED,LOVED, my stay at the GRANDVIEW AT LAS VEGAS. Everything was wonderful. The units are beautiful and the view I had was awesome. The resort as a package was really outstanding. I cannot forget to say the staff from top to bottom was so pleasant,just great all around.I did not want for anything.I cannot wait to return,hopefully I will be there again before the year is out. I AM IN LOVE.

• Liked — loved unit,pools,dvd rental and shuttle service
  • Disliked — no airport shuttle and the shuttle didn't run a littlte later after all it's vegas (smile)
  • Tips/Secrets — you will enjoy and be totally pleased
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
24 Thank trinarose
Germantown, MD
Reviewed August 11, 2006

We stayed at the Grandview for a week 7/27 on by using our RCI points. I wanted to originally stay closer to the action but knew I was renting a car so I booked Grandview. I was pleased! I read a lot of the reviews on TA and I was unsure if I was going to ever get any sleep since a lot of reviews talked about the construction noise. I heard nothing. We stayed on the 5th floor in the Sage Building. The room was very clean except for the carpet which had a few stains but I only looked at them 1 time while I was there. The couch however is HARD AS A ROCK so be prepared. Our internet worked fine and for printing I went over to the computer room and used the free computers there. No one ever called or approached us about any timeshare presentations. I bet it was because we already had a timeshare with RCI. I will say though that we stayed in NYC using our points and were hounded everyday to attend a presentation.

The room like I said was very clean and the kitchen was nice so we did not have to eat out for every meal. The bed was comfortable and the AC worked great! One tip with the sleeping, in the bedroom there are only blinds no curtains so the sun shines in which is a drag. Luckily I read that information from another review writer so I asked for another blanket and hung the blanket over the window with some binder clips I brought with me. LOL! It worked like a charm and we slept like Kings!! I will give you another tip which other reviewers were so right about. The noise from other rooms, I swear there has to be no insulation between the floors of these rooms as I heard the neighbor above us every time they got up from the kitchen table. I was prepared for that while we were sleeping as I brought a fan to drown out all of that noise. There are no ceiling fans so if you like a fan...take one with you. Any time we needed towels I just called and they were brought over within 20 mins with the exception of 1 time that they never came but I had enough anyways. The parking is tough at night. You can never park close to your building. As far as the strip, yes it was about a 7-8 min drive but as long as you have a car you have nothing to worry about. Valet the car at one of the central casinos and you are in the heart of it all. I would recommend Grandview as it was a good experience overall and I would stay there again.

We went to see the show KA and it was pretty good. You have to keep up or you can not tell what is going on. As far as food... we went to Mesa Grill which is the Bobby Flay restaurant in Caesar’s it was wonderful. Roy's off the strip was amazing as well! We also went to Envy to dine which was in the Renaissance Hotel which is just off the strip, which was so fantastic as well!!!

Besides being hot as haydee’s in July my 31st birthday was a great time!!

• Liked — It did not cost me anything.. I used our timeshare points :-)
  • Disliked — The parking a night and the noise level between rooms and the couch was like concrete
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't sit on the couch and bring a fan to help you sleep.. if you like to sleep in
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
31 Thank Stella H
New York
Reviewed July 29, 2006

I stayed at the Grandview with my family in May of 2006. We found it to be very clean, roomy and comfortable. We had a one bedroom suite with a pull-out couch in the living room where the kids slept. The kitchen was fully stocked with everything we needed and the washer and dryer were very handy too. They also have a very nice pool area with a waterfall that the kids enjoyed. The staff were all very friendly.

The Grandview is on the extreme South end of the Strip so we rented a car and it worked out quite well. We liked being able to go the the Strip and then be able to get away from it when we were ready. Righ next door is the newly built South Coast Casino the has all tha gambling you want as well as cheap meals.

The walk in shower is huge and our only complaint (and it's a minor one) is there are no shelves or anywhere to set anything in the shower.

Next trip to Vegas we would surely stay at the Grandview again! This is way better than a hotel room on the Strip!

• Stayed May 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
25 Thank CGV222
Oregon
Reviewed July 16, 2006

Well, I read the reviews here before I left. I am EXTREMELY pleased about the resort overall. The rooms were VERY nice and had plenty of amenities. I stayed at the Fairfield last time.. and this is nicer in my opinion.

The negative things--which aren't that big of a deal: computer room needs more computers. One morning I was woken by someone's running water. The biggest thing for me was in the bedroom there are no curtains to shut out the lights.. just blinds. once the sun comes out, it makes it much harder to sleep as the sun comes in the room.

Get the SouthCoast fun book... best fun book I've seen
Oh, if they try to have you take a tour or a presentation, they might try to give you a "Casino Royale" $50 free slot play... the lady told me you basically get $50 of slot play and keep the winnings... this is NOT true. Went to the casino royale.. and it's "promotional slots".. and a COMPLETE JOKE!!!!!!!!!!! It's complete bait and switch/ fraud... do NOT go there EVER!

Still, this is a nice place.. not perfect... but very nice... I'd go again in a heartbeat

• Stayed July 2006
27 Thank woottski
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 10, 2006

I was just in Las Vegas and was solisited to attend a presentation for a time share. it turned out to be the "Grandview At Las Vegas". I was told at the presentation that this resort is strictly for time sharing only. When we were given a tour of the resort, I asked the question in reference to the people staying at the resort and I was told that these are people on a timeshare trade. Wow here it is being advertise as a hotel by "expedia, orbitz, cheap tickets and hotels" I just realized on why should I invest in this time share (and it wasn't cheap) plus paying a $560 fee a year for upkeeps so I can only use it (as permitted) a week a year when alI I have to do is book the same resort through the above mentioned '.com' web sites.
I am glad that I walked out of the presentation without spending over $31000 where I can have this resort for a lot less simply by using it as a hotel when I please.
The resort is quite a ways from the strip and if you are in Vegas to enjoy the strip you can do a lot better by staying in one of the hotels on the strip for the same price or less.

Stayed July 2002
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 26, 2006

We just returned from a great visit at The Grandview. We have stayed in many hotels from The Bellagio to The Lady Luck and found this hotel to be excellent. The room was extremely clean, quiet and full of many amenities. We went to the Gold Coast for most of our meals, but you wouldn't have to if you preferred to cook in the room. We didn't notice the noise that some visitors have complained about. We rented a car prior to coming and were thankful for that. The hotel is pretty far away from anything else you might want to see or visit. We recommend this hotel very highly.

• Stayed June 2006