“Had my doubts....”

Ranked #48 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Clanwilliam, Manitoba
“Had my doubts....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2010

After a couple of dozen trips to Vegas over the past 20 years I had developed a fairly intense loathing of timeshares and their sellers. Friends would go on the tours to get free show tickets, etc., however I always refused to go finding better things to do with my time in Vegas. Last year the wife and I were staying at the Golden Nugget when we were approached on Fremont St. by a friendly gentleman enquiring as to how long we were in town. The bait was a hundred bucks. I politely suggested that he get lost, however my wife implored me to have an open mind knowing my revulsion for the subject of timeshares. The tour was only 3 hours max and there was a hundred bucks and a free lunch on the line. So after putting 25 bucks down as something of a penalty payment if we didn't actually show up at 1pm the next day we left it at that. Next day a big black bus showed up to pick us up just as I was locking all of my credit cards in the trunk of the car.
Away we went on a 10 mile jaunt down to Green Valley for a free lunch and to take the tour. The lunchroom must have sat close to a hundred people and was quite full and noisy. A nice fellow from Romania took us on the tour which consumed all of the 3 hours. Then after that came the inevitable arm twisting on making the sale which took another 2 1/2 hours. Finally it was getting close to 6pm and the place was emptying out fast. The horse trading went on and on and the deal got sweeter and sweeter. Making the point moot, I said it didn't matter what they offered us since all of my credit cards were locked in the car downtown. I felt sorry for the Romanian guy since he had been really nice and was speechless that I would be so foolish as to not bring any credit cards. I said that we'd have to come back the following week which met with loud cries of protest. My wife works at H&R Block and was kind of taking sides with the Romanian arguing that we were buying at the best possible time ever. By this point I had lost all patience with the process and was ready to leave when my wife reached in her purse and pulled out her credit card. The resulting paperwork took another hour to process and finally that night we arrived back at the Nugget at 8pm, the Romanian had to drive us back since the bus drivers had all since gone home. Our "hundred bucks" turned out to be a chit for special gambling chips at the Nugget. They had to be played on the tables and the only way to convert them into cash was to win back their value with regular chips which I did to the tune of $200.

Now it's a year later and we are off to spend a week in our timeshare. I've been reading mixed reviews on TripAdvisor about the Grandview but I've gotta see it for myself good or bad. Shortly before we left we discovered that our computer tech guy also owns there and highly recommended it as well as offering a few little tips. We arrived near midnight and were promptly checked in to the 20th floor of the Daisy building. Wow. What a shock. Everything was just as it was presented on the tour with a lovely view north up I-15 and the South Point thrown in. Although I didn't use the exercise facilities and pool area, my wife did and it was marvelous. The weather was great, she got to sun herself next to the pool listening to the waterfalls and relaxing in the hot tubs. There is a good selection of TV channels in the rooms and all too soon, the week flew by and we had to leave.

So now to conclude with the pros and cons.

Pros: This is only our first stay at any timeshare resort but from what we saw and heard from other residents in other buildings, the comments were all positive.

Proximity to the South Point is very good and it is a full service casino with plenty to do for the gambler and non gambler alike.

We felt that the lack of housekeeping was of little consequence. It was nice not to have someone pounding on the door every morning at 8:30. If we needed anything, it would have been provided. My wife was quite happy to do the minimal amount of tidying and really enjoyed using the washer and dryer since we were on a 15 day trip.

We weren't pressured to do another timeshare presentation. The welcome girl called our room wondering if we would like to participate in a free breakfast and presentation, I simply declined and that was it. Ironically, one of the salesmen stopped me in the parking lot while he was escorting a couple of "suckers" around the property to ask what I thought of the place and I unhesitatingly answered in the positive. Kind of awkward for a hard bitten old timeshare skeptic!

Cons:The hotel is located 5.6 miles south on LV Blvd. from Mandalay Bay. We had a rental car through RCI so went grocery shopping at WalMart on Silverado Ranch Rd. There is certainly no shortage of shopping options located within 2 miles of the resort. For those without the rental car option there are posters up in the elevators announcing the grocery shopping bus tours and the buses seem to run on a regular basis.

Our access to the car precluded our use of the on site transport, however I even noticed a city bus stopping in the parking lot at the South Point where there is an established route. So there are options for getting around without a car.

The WiFi situation was something that I enquired about on our tour. While the Romanian guy readily ascertained that there was indeed wifi, he failed to note that it wasn't free wifi. The computer room in the reception building is better than nothing, but with only 8 terminals it is woefully inadequate for the number of residents on the property now let alone when the newest building opens soon and the next one is built.

There was a bit of noise from adjoining rooms, however it was negligible. We have found that staying on higher floors tends to be more quiet.

One odd little thing was the stingy amount of flatware in the suites.

One last thing, it costs $175 to re-locate your week. Our assigned week is in June and since we live in Canada would have very little reason to be in Vegas in June, so we are going to look into changing to Feb.

I still have a few lingering doubts about the investment value of timeshares. Perhaps over time I'll favourably re-adjust my views. As for this property it was more or less everything it was presented to be and I can honestly say from our experience that it was likely the best experience we have ever had in Vegas. My advice would be if you don't want the hassle of presentations, sales pitches, etc., firmly tell the person who approaches you on the street with free goodies that you are NOT interested, I did it for years.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank BHP1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (592)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2010

My friends and i agree we love this home away from home at the grandview. Truly wold not be anywhere else n Vegas. My friends and i had a room in the daisy builing. infact this was the first weekend the building opened and we where the first to occupy it. Did not want to leave. Infact a couple that came with us is getting married and would stay anywhere else. It also does no9t smell like cigeretts all through the buildings just lovely....

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank KeishaWebb
Elk Grove Village, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2010

Was in the Venetian Hotel in St. Marks Square when stopped and was asked if we wanted to get free tickets to the Dinner for 2 with the Wax Musuem and the Gondala ride Package as long as we finish a timeshare tour at the Grandview the next morning. We agreed and gave up a refundable $40 cash deposit??? So woke up at 8am to be back at the Venetian Hotel to take the tour. We take a shuttle bus to the Grandview Hotel to sit and wait for our sales rep to greet us and ask us a few questions to get us all chummy. Things were going great when they ask me what was my occupation. Right when I told him I was unemployed the represitive walked away from our table in the middle of talking to him. Very rude. He returned 3 minutes later with a pissed off look. He took us out the presentation room and told us that when we agreed to come to the tour, everyone needs to be employed. So the guy in Venetian mislead us. Never asked about any job statuses and just wasted our 2 hours of time we couldve been having fun doing something worth doing. While taking the shuttle back to our hotel the driver noticed someone stoled her Coach bag from the bus. She said she left the bus door opened when she ran in the gas station to get her coffee. She knows to take her bag with her and to lock the doors next time. Anyway, I did get the $40 back but none of the tickets :(

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chridappers07
Niagara Falls, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2010

We have stayed here two times (in 2008 and 2009). We always rent a car when we are in Vegas because we like to drive to the Grand Canyon, Death Valley and other surrounding attractions - so for us, the distance to the strip (which is about 10 minutes by car).

For the people complaining about the presentations, just say NO! We were asked if we would like to see a presentation for the timeshare in exchange for two show tickets and we just said no... there were no issues.

The rooms are very nice -- very spacious and clean. Definitely a lot larger than you will be getting on the strip for a lot less... since basically these are 1 bedroom suites (full kitcken, jacuzzi tub, living room etc.) In most Strip hotels you have to pay extra for a fridge, whereas here it is standard.

The pool area is very nice, although it sometimes gets crowded, especially around the hot tubs, but once again, this is standard fare for Vegas. Sometimes they seem to run out of towels, but ask and they'll bring some out for you. There really isn't much to do at the Hotel itself -- for that you'll have to hit the strip or the neighboring South Point - which has a few nice restaurants and a quite good gaming area... the entertainment is rather poor though.

Overall, we would definetely stay here again. As long as you have a way to get to the strip or don't mind taking the shuttle that is provided, you will be getting a lot more amenities than elsewhere. If you are into partying then the strip would probably be the way to go.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mw83krk
Edmonton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2010

My wife and I just came back from a week at the Grandview and would describe our experience there as very disapointing. We used some of our RCI points for our stay there. We were put in the Sage building which is quite rundown and definately needs to be upgraded.
When we arrived we checked in and as others have said were asked to go to the "welcome desk" aka "timeshare desk" for a welcoming gift. This is of of course a joke as we all know this is just for timeshare presentations. We first said yes to a presentation but then decided we were not interersted. Once they knew that, they had zero interest in talking to you almost to the point of not giving you the time of day.
We do own several timeshares where the staff is very pleasent and helpful and this one doesn't come close. The room was barely clean and the linens and blankets were old!!
Mid week maid service consists of clean towels if you want and trash removal.
I would recommend any Motel 8 over this place and would suggest that you find somewhere else to stay in Vegas. I now know why there was room at this place and all the other timeshare rooms in Vegas were full.
I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO ANYONE. SAVE YOUR POINTS AND FIND A NICE PLACE TO STAY.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank vetray8
Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2010

We purchased a timeshare with the Grandview in Vegas and were promised many things. The 2 ladies we bought off of told us what we wanted to hear. When it came to delivering the promises, we found out very quickly that things were toooooo good to be true. We were promised 2 bonus weeks for as long as we own the timeshare. We found out later it was only for the first 3 years. We were told that we never had to stay at the grandview, that we could exchange for any other timeshare in Vegas, not the case. We were told our bonus weeks were easy to use and there was a lot of time slots we can use. Not the case we have tried to use the bonus weeks 4 times now and there is nothing available for any of the places we want to go. We were told they would buy back our time share anytime, not the case we have to go through a broker and that will cost us between 3 - 15 thousand $. If they delievered with their promises it would have been a great deal. Too bad that wasn't the case. WE GOT SCAMMED.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tinanpat
home
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2010

We used RCI timeshare points and refused to attend any "free" breakfast meetings for any show ticket "deals"--thankfully. We knew this is not a hotel so we didn't have the same expectations as far as room cleaning service but there were a few things that made the distance from the strip not worth staying here. We were told there is free internet. That is not exactly true. There is a room, with computers, in a separate building, that you can use, with slow internet speed, however, due to stringent firewalls you cannot even download and print your boarding pass or really do any business there as they promise you can. You only have 15 minute chunks to read your email. If you want to use a laptop in the room, you must pay, per day, a nice fee. I never did find the building where you can buy groceries for the room. We had a car which is a necessity, and drove to Target. The walls are not soundproof. I could hear the neighbors snoring, however, that may be a very loud neighbor. Otherwise there wasn't that much noise. The rooms are nice, and large.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family