“Sub-par Mexican with food poisoning thrown in”

Dona Maria's Tamale Shop
Ranked #623 of 4,934 Restaurants in Las Vegas
Cuisines: Mexican, Spanish
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stopped by mid-afternoon Oct. 10 and found a restaurant almost empty of patrons. No problem since it WAS a weekday and mid-afternoon.

The only vegetarian offering was "vegetarian burrito" and the menu stated that they were made with beans. My wife ordered it. I chose the daily special, a chicken chimichanga with rice and beans. Drinks, tortilla chips and salsa came. The chips were all-corn and warm and the salsa was thin and OK-tasting. There was no hot sauce on the table to spice it up, nor was there any hot sauces on ANY of the other tables. Gee, is there a hot sauce theft epidemic in Vegas?

The "vegetarian burrito" was the likes of which we've never seen and we are regular vacationers to Mexico, and KNOW what REAL MEXICAN food is. It was huge, but the "vegetables" in it were: broccoli, cauliflower, onions and BABY CARROTS, along with maybe a level tablespoon-worth of black beans. No rice, no peppers, no cliantro, no seasonings. It looked as though someone opened a bag of frozen oriental vegetables minus the bean sprouts and water chestnuts, added onions and grilled them. My wife was starved and rather than send it back, persevered and picked through it. CARROTS in a burrito? No peppers, cliantro or Mexican seasoning? I can pretty much guarantee the chef is NOT Mexican or has even been to a real Mexican restaurant. The vegetarian burrito we got at Baha Fresh at the airport going home was way better and actually tasted Mexican! Heck, even the lowliest Mexican restaurant in our hometown would put this place to shame...at half the price.

My chimi was bland, missing any real Mexican seasoning and the shredded chicken was tough and dry. The rice and refrieds were good. This is the first Mexican restaurant I've ever been to that had NO hot sauces on the tables. NONE. Laughable, if it weren't for the fact that that night I was hit with a horrible bout of food poisoning that pretty much ruined the rest of our vacation in Vegas, including causing us to miss our Cirque d' Soliel show the next night....almost $400 worth of tickets wasted. It's now Sunday the 14th and I'm just finally feeling almost normal.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!

There are newer reviews for Dona Maria's Tamale Shop

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Price was good. Service was quick. Mexican food seemed more authentic than many places I have been. If you go here just order Tamales and dont bother with anything else (unless the special looks good). Easy walk from downtown but you may have to fend off the occ hooker or bum. Bonus: you will walk right by the fabled "Pawn Stars" location.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Very dissappointed. The staff was friendly and attentive. The food...not so much! Tortilla soup was salty flavored broth with chips, cheese and a vegatable to two. The rice was mushy and unflavorfull. The tamale was a big let down. The masa tasted like bad lard that got absorbed into the pork. The only good thing on my plate was the chicken enchilada. Very flavorfull. Wasn't worth the $18 tab, for 1, (with soda, tax, no tip)

Reviewed August 12, 2012

My husband and our 2 children just moved here to Vegas, we LOVE mexican food and couldn't wait to try this place out... we got seated.... our waiter asked us for our drink order... and we never saw him again! Long story short, we went to get up and leave after 20 minutes of no service and a woman finally came by and my husband asked her if she could take our order..she got somebody to come do it and they looked at me like i was crazy when i asked if they had fajita nachos... negative. So i ordered the $13.00 fajita taco salad and the only thing in the stupid salad was lettuce! We never saw a waiter again after that. Worst service i have ever had anywhere... and they weren't even busy when we got there. We will never got back.. the food wasnt even that good. Super disappointed! :(
Also while we were thee we saw a large party get seated and they ended up leaving because they were never waited on and one lady who came in alone got up ahd left because she was never waited on.

Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

I love this place! They make authentic and delicious tamales the way my mom used to make. Its far from everything else, but its well worth the trip.