“OK but steak not quite up to scratch”

Gallagher's Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Gallagher's Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #81 of 5,012 Restaurants in Las Vegas
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Tropicana
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I love a good old-fashioned NY-style steak house and Gallaghers was a good pick for the folk at New York New York to bring to their casino. Decor, service, and menu have been reproduced fairly faithfully and our seafood appetisers were uniformly excellent, and, in the case of the jumbo shrimp cocktail, exquisite.
My 'beef', if you'll excuse the pun, centred on the steak. I had a ribeye which was overcooked (medium-rare rather than rare), came to the table cold, and, frankly, lacked the depth and complexity of flavor I expect from dry-aged USDA prime, so much so that I have found myself honestly pondering its provenance since. i guess I could have sent it back but one doesn'r always feel like doing that. We had a decent time, but in a city full of excellent restaurants, I'll probably choose another next time I feel like a steak.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,758)

Reviewed March 15, 2013

As frequent Las Vegas visitors, my husband and I always try to stay away from overpriced tourist trap restaurants. Several years ago, our cabbie (one of those rare Las Vegas natives) told us that Gallagher's in New York, New York is the best steakhouse in Vegas, and after a few visits, we can't agree more. Expensive (but not outrageous), the food and wine is always impeccable.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Sadly they bumbled the medium-well. They gave me medium-rare. I hate it when the chef/cook think they know how I like my steak. Maybe he/she just blew it. I don't know and frankly I had a few beers in me so I wasn't in the mood to pitch a fit. It tasted fine but could have been perfect.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We ordered Crab cakes and you could smell the crab when they were served. Really excellent! The steaks were good but if you want the most tender and tasty one don't go for the matured New York but for the Filet Mignon.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Four of us went to Gallagher's on our last trip. Every boys' trip we try to eat somewhere decent so that we don't just pollute our bodies with booze and only take in the minimal required sustenance while we party the weekend away. We did Smith and Wollensky's last year. Gallagher's was right where we were staying. Very comparable to S & W's. It was packed, but we just booked earlier in the day and managed to get a 7:30 seating.

First of all, the menu on Gallagher's main website is not correct. Make sure you pull up the one from the NYNY Casino site. I had the Dry Aged New York Sirloin. Their 'Signature' so to speak. Medium rare was exactly what I expected it to be. Warm throughout, but still pink. It was very tender and sizeable. 16-18 oz I believe. My friend's filet mignon was quite small in comparison. Normal I suppose. I chose the fingerlings with chorizo for a side. The chorizo was a nice touch and not overcooked and chewy. The wine list is pricey, but there are always specials. Overstocks. Just ask the server. We had 2 bottles at close to half off.

We would all eat there again in an instant. Service was courteous and quick. The back room is a little quieter and the front room more action packed. Depends what you like for ambiance.