“Birthday dinner”

Neighborhood: Downtown
Santa Claus, Indiana
“Birthday dinner”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

My husband and I dined at Hugo's on 11/22 for my birthday. It was perfect. I loved the setting- it was hard to believe it was part of four queens. We enjoyed the table side salads. I had a glass of reisling and hubby had a Long Island. For entrees hubby had filet mignonette and I had raspberry chicken. Everything was perfection. Also enjoyed the chocolate dipped fruit. They also brought me a complimentary dessert for my birthday- which sadly I was stuffed to eat. This was our best dining experience of the trip and one I hope to make a tradition on our future vegas trips.

New Jersey
“You cannot go wrong with Hugo's!”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

We are sure to dine at Hugo's every time we go to Las Vegas and have never been disappointed. The service is top notch and the meals are fantastic. This was my first time traveling to Las Vegas with my dad (very harsh critic). I had raved to him about Hugo's, but was worried he would find fault. He declared it one of the best meals he ever had. The table side salad service was awesome, as always. We also received a gorgeously presented dessert to commemorate our 5th wedding anniversary. Hugo's is a wonderful part of "old" Vegas.

Winnipeg, Canada
“Treated like royalty.”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

We celebrated my husband's 70th birthday at this gem of a restaurant. Beautiful ambiance. Very upscale. Attentive, courteous, friendly and professional staff. Food was amazing! We could have made a meal of the breads and salad (made to order right at your table)! The entree was done to perfection - we had the veal with crab legs and white asparagus. Excellent! Loved the added touch of sorbet "to clean the pallet" between courses. Desserts were fantastic! The best ever birthday! If we have the opportunity in the future, we shall certainly come back to this wonderful restaurant!

Edmonton
“The best service around but questionable food safety and practices”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

My wife and I took my parents to Hugo’s Cellar after reading the impressive reviews on Trip Advisor. It was my stepfather’s 70th birthday. The atmosphere was quaint, the servers highly skilled, friendly and professional.

We ordered water, pop, salad with either vinaigrette or ranch dressing (which is made right in front of you), veal with crab leg, and appetizers (chicken, beef and shrimp) served interestingly on a heated piece of granite. We also got some vanilla sorbet and a complimentary birthday chocolate mousse for dessert. We left at 7:30 p.m., and I even told the waiter than I planned to give them a great review on trip advisor.

After 9:00 p.m., our very unexpected nightmare began. Three out of the four of us developed gut aches and a very serious case of the trotts for the next 24 hours. My mother did not get sick, and the only thing she did not have (that the rest of us had) was the water and ice. None of us were sick prior to our dinner and we have all had our flu shots. We had not eaten prior to this meal, other than a muffin in the morning. I work as an adjudicator and my wife is a judge, so we are familiar with and very careful to reach conclusions based on evidence. The fact that three of the four of us got very sick with hours of eating this meal suggests quite strongly that the effect was caused by the meal and therefore, it is logical to conclude that something we ate contained harmful bacteria. The irony here is that we paid $280 for a five star meal that made us sick whereas we could have spent $25 eating McDonalds’s cheap junk food without getting sick. Apparently this is not so rare. Friends of mine work as health inspectors and they always tell me that the cleanest restaurants are the McDonalds of the world, because they are always cleaning, and that the most violations they ever find are in the expensive restaurants. Go figure.

We ate and got sick on Monday. I got a hold of the manager on Tuesday to inform him of my concerns and he promised to call me back on the next afternoon, Wednesday, after investigating. At the time of writing I have yet to receive a call back as promised, so I can only assume that evidence of food contamination is not a priority for Hugo’s Cellar.

For fine dining that does not make you sick, there are other good options in Vegas, such as Vic & Anthony’s Steakhouse, The Barrymore, or the Eiffel Tower Restaurant, all of which I highly recommend instead.

2 Thank thebaron007
Apple Valley, Minnesota
“I love the service and the table side salad”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Every time we are in Las Vegas, we eat at Hugo's Cellar. I love the table side salad where you it is prepared exactly to your liking. The steaks are delicious and they actually include side items in the price. The food is of the highest quality, and so is the staff. You always have at least two servers taking care of you, so you are never lacking for anything. I would highly recommend eating here if you've never had the pleasure. In my experience, you should always get a reservation.

• Visited November 2013

Been to Hugo's Cellar? Share your experiences!