“Not Just a Seafoodie Restaurant”

RM Seafood Mandalay Bay Hotel
Reserve with OpenTable
RM Seafood Mandalay Bay Hotel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #518 of 5,084 Restaurants in Las Vegas
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I am not sure what we were thinking when we booked this seafood restaurant for dinner after MJ show, as we were not really in the mood for seafood. The four of us were pleasantly surprised with the quality and care that went into our land-based entrées just the same. We did sneak in the calamari appetizer that came with a tasty cili pepper bite. Not over fried, almost broiled. The filet with mashed potatoes was also a treat, but, believe it or not, the broiled chicken was my favorite. Great portion of moist delight. Of course, the highlight of the meal was a table visit by Rick Moonen. You've got to trust a chef who is truly interested in his customers the way he was.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

I should start this review by stating that when we did finally get a manager's attention, Eric made things right for us. But you can read on to see what earned this establishment 1 star.

We had booked an extra night in Las Vegas after a weekend with friends for the express purpose of eating at RM Seafood. My wife is from Boston, and now living in the desert we jump at a chance to get fresh, ethically sourced seafood that we don't get at home. We decided that the raw offerings were most enticing, and ordered the oyster sampler immediately upon being seated.

After a brief wait our dinner order was taken, the Albacore Tataki starter, and the RM style Sashimi. We declined the wine as we had been gaming and drinking much of the afternoon, and wanted to be able to taste the food.

The oysters arrived, but our waiter had to be found to let us know which was which and he wasn't quite sure until he remembered which was the biggest one. The oysters were mostly good, and I recommend all but the Miyagi from B.C.

Then we waited some more.

There was a man at a table in the "al fresco" area who had started to raise his hand to get the attention of our waiter. Eventually the manager appeared, and he must have been a high roller because a large tray of oysters made it out for him and his date. At this point my wife joked about raising our hands, because the rest of our food (and our waiter) were nowhere to be seen.

When the sashimi made it out the tataki looked and smelled nice, but the portions on the RM style sashimi were laughably small. Frankly, for 2/3 the price you can get better tataki at a regional chain with locations in Arizona giving it a "meh" at best. The RM style sashimi included uni, which I have wanted to turn my wife on to. It was too dull in color, and lacked the firmness of grade A uni, and the sweetness from the strawberry chips would have been unnecessary if the uni was fresher. The King Crab smelled fishy, as if it had been on the boat too long, and tasted the same.

Then I tried the fluke, which was a disaster. I'd not had fluke sushi before, so I don't know if the particular one I had was bad or cut incorrectly, but the tissues were fibrous enough to be physically inedible. I spit out my portion (horrifying my wife) and we didn't get to the salmon.

Then more waiting.

A bus-woman offered to clear our plates, but we wanted to keep the sashimi plate there to explain our disappointment to our waiter. When he arrived and asked how the food was, my wife replied that it wasn't tasty or satisfying. He recited the server script without listening, "good, can I get you anything else?" We were too shocked to articulate a response and he left us quickly with the bill. I grabbed the arm of a passing busser, to ask for the manager.
Then more waiting. Even if I had put my card in to pay the bill the wait was ridiculous. I got up, and went to the hostess station to get a manager (who had been standing there the whole time doing basically nothing) and explain my issue with the meal and service.

In the meantime the manager, Eric, and come to the table and spoken with my wife. He then came to me at the front and took over for the other manager. He seemed legitimately horrified by our story, and we had seen him putting out fires sporadically during the evening. I would have gladly paid for the two menu items that were of a passable quality, but he comped the bill and apologized profusely. He must have a thankless job, and should be paid more, as well as given the resources to hire better help.

Were the service to be better, we still would have had a $100 check for around eight total ounces of food. I'm not sure that price tag would fit even the best quality ingredients, and it certainly isn't worth what we got for it. The waiting, which I read about in other reviews was ridiculous and I thought people were exaggerating. We spent over an hour, and only ordered three things off of the menu.

We ended up getting pad thai at the noodle shop in the Mandalay and a bottle of wine which we brought up to our room.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Kids wanted sushi, so here we went. They loved the sushi. Husband had a salad and I had cioppino. All great quality and nice presentation. Waiter was fantastic and knowledgeable.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Had a mocktail with some seafood ceviche and a little bit of sushi as a light afternoon snack. The mocktail was expensive ($10) but we thoroughly enjoyed the ceviche. Beer is at a reasonable price during happy hour.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

RM is an unassuming restaurant at the Mandalay Bay. Near where the Mandalay bay and The hotel meet. It’s a casual sheik ambiance with an interesting menu of a la cart meals and combination sushi plates. My wife and i started with the Oyster sampler...delicious and fresh. The server gave us a detailed explanation of each oyster and suggested we eat them in a particular sequence. Fabulous!. Next, i had the RM Sushi platter and my wife had the cioppino. The cioppino was just fair. But the sushi platter was something I’ve never had before. Delicate, flavorful, fresh and so good!. I strongly recommend that you come to RM Seafood for the awesome and unique sushi platters.

Been to RM Seafood Mandalay Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!