“Location was nice thats about it”

Holiday Inn Express Las Vegas South
Ranked #118 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
Seattle WA
“Location was nice thats about it”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I came to the Holiday inn this past weekend .My fiance and I checked in about 12:30am due to a late flight, she introduced herself to the gentleman at the front desk who had a look on his face like he didn't want to deal with us. Once my fiance gave him her employee card for check in he looked up our reservation and saw that we wanted a smoking room. The guy then turned and looked at her and said" i am assuming you want a non smoking room even though you requested a smoking room?" Being tired from working earlier we didn't know if he was trying to be funny or be rude. We told him quickly no we want a smoking room. At this point we were beginning to get irritated because how he was acting and the other people waiting in line were making comments like "is he really talking like this too you". Once we got our key we go to the room and we find out its non smoking and its two queen beds. We clearly booked a smoking and a king room. My fiance immediately went back to the desk and had him change it even though he told us ALL THE ROOMS ARE FULL. But somehow we got a 4th floor king room smoking in the end. The Decor of the Hotel in my opinion was very very poor. The room didn't even have a mini fridge nor a microwave. Also too the tv sits on the table so if you lay down you won't be able to see the TV. The breakfast was ok. The pool was closed and we had to walk to another p I do wanna say the front desk asian woman was amazing and the assistant manager Robert I believe his name was apologized to my fiance and I, told us if we come back he will upgrade us to a suite. Sad to say I told my fiance WE WILL NEVER COME BACK!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DanielleBritni
GeneralManager45963, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Las Vegas South, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
I would like to extend a sincere apology for your disatisfaction with your recent stay with us and would like to have the opportunity to invite you back to our hotel. Please contact me at your earliest convience. Thank you. GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Korean first
Lehi, Utah
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Booked a room through Hotwire. When we checked in, we were given a King, smoking room. We preferred to have 2Q, non smoking room but, it being a holiday weekend, that room type was unavailable. Nick arranged to have a machine placed in the room that would clean the air, which worked well and then the next day, Nick was able to move us to the room we wanted. Nick was willing to do anything he could to be helpful & accommodating. Rooms were clean and comfortable. The breakfast was well stocked. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank D D
Narooma, Australia
Reviewed May 27, 2013

The hotel is handily placed close to the airport. We were only staying for two nights en-route to a rafting tour of the Grand Canyon. We couldn't locate a shuttle bus at the airport so had to catch a cab, which wasn't very expensive. The hotel does have a shuttle to the airport but it runs to a fixed half-hourly schedule; easy to organise when going to the airport. They also have a shuttle to The Strip, dropping off at New York, New York. From there you can get the monorail to other places.
The hotel was standard fare but perfectly acceptable. The night porter was rather extrovert or else had been on something, but polite and he did the job. The hotel was also very happy to let us leave our bags there for ten days while we rafted, even though we weren't staying the night on our return.
One thing I was unhappy with was the disposable cups, plates and cutlery at breakfast, but this wasteful practice seems to be standard at US hotels. It's time they got some environmental awareness.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alan1fromOz
Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

Good Holiday Inn. Near major roadway so this is a travel dream for anyone passing through or going to the airport early. We did request first floor and it was not available but they have an elevator if needed. Just OK but adequate for a short stay. If you want the Vegas life stay somewhere more expensive or take a cab. This is a place for rest. Will stay here again when flying.

• Stayed May 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Las Vegas South, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear KatTabler,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am happy you found our location convenient and you had an adequate rest. It is always hugely motivating to read positive feedback from valued guests like you.

Again, thanks for your comments and we hope to have the opportunity of hosting you again soon.

Regards,

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare
San Diego
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed here March 7,8, 9 2013. In town for a volleyball tournament so hotel prices were high. $120 a night. We arrived from Southern Ca late and asked for a non smoking room. They said they didn't have any. We were placed in a smoking room but told we could move the next day. Mentioned fans and room spray for the room but it never came. Ironically we moved EARLY the next morning and obviously no one had stayed in the room the previous night. I guess they were waiting for the Queen of England or some poor soul who was going to pay $140 plus for a room. Once we moved in it was off to volleyball. The breakfast was fine, better than I eat at home. The beds were good. Room was clean. Bathroom towels were plentiful. Housekeeping was responsive.

Noise is a factor. We were on the top floor. Good thing but, and I am going to put this in the tips area too. DO NOT get a room that faces the street (front) on Monday- Thursday nights if you are a light sleeper. The amount of big rig traffic going down the street was incredible and they all downshift right at the light. Saturday was fine. Do bring ear plugs if you need. My family didn't notice it at all and slept just fine, I was not so lucky.

Staff was unobtrusive, breakfast workers were nice. Work out room has 3 pieces of equipment.

Shuttle runs on the half hours. We took the one to New York New York and then walked around on the strip and took it back so we didn't have to hassle with parking. Not super convenient but workable. The shuttles share with other nearby hotels that are very similar in style, offerings and cost so do compare prices if you want to be away from the casino hotels.

Room Tip: Monday through Thursday ask for a room away from the front, facing the back if you are a light sleep...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SDPadres
MEMPHIS
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed at this hotel while on a job interview in the Las Vegas area. The company with which I interviewed set up the reservation as it is a hotel they regularly use. The hotel is very nice and the staff is excellent. A hot breakfast is included and it was really good. The hotel offers a shuttle to the Las Vegas strip, to Mandalay Bay and also to New York New York. I used the shuttle and it was right on time. No problem. Only two very minor drawbacks. I could hear people in the next room, Secondly, the shuttle to the airport does not run 24 hours a day, so I had to take a cab for my 0600 flight for $23. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
San Diego
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We've actually stayed at this hotel on 2 previous visits and had nice stays which is why we came back, however our most recent stay(April 26th and 27th) was exceptiionally bad. We arrived early on Friday at about noon and Justin was working the front desk. We did not request to check-in early, but we did request a top-floor room as we did when we made our reservation. Foot traffic noise in this hotel is exceptionally bad. Every person's footstep sounds like a loud bass drum, so if you're a light sleeper, you need to be on the top floor or you're going to have a long, miserable night. So when we politely asked Jason about a room on the top floor, he said, "Sure, I can get you one of those" He wrote down our names on a scrap sheet of paper and told us he'd call us when the room was ready. By 3:30pm we had not received a call so we decided to head back to the hotel since we were near the area. When we tried to check-in with Justin, he said, "Okay, I've got you in a room on the 2nd floor." We asked why he put us there when we specifically requested the top floor from him only 3.5 hours ago. He said, "Sorry, I'll put you back on the waiting list". So we had to continue to wait. When we came back about 6pm, a different person was working the front desk. She said, "Sorry we won't have any more rooms on the top floor tonight. I don't know what Justin told you, but they're simply not available now". So they basically gave those rooms to someone else. Here's where it gets really bad. This woman apologized for the situation and said, "Here, I'm going to block off a top-floor room for you tomorrow night so you'll be guaranteed a top-floor room tomorrow." We said "thank you" and managed to sleep on and off despite the fact that she placed in a room that bordered the stairwell and we got to hear people running up and down the stairs all night, and we got to stand in 5 inches of water in the shower since it didn't drain properly. Now, the next day, we try to check-in early and Justin says, "Your room should be available in a few minutes". So we waited there at the hotel for 90 minutes just to watch Justin walk out the door for the day and the new woman(same woman as day before) promptly tell us that there won't be any rooms available for another 2 hours. I verified with her that she still had that room blocked off for us and she said "yes". So we headed out and when we later returned that evening to our "guaranteed" top-floor room, and the new guy at the front desk says, "Sorry, I see that she blocked off a top-floor room for you, but for some 'unknown' reason, I don't have one for you". Someone at the front desk that afternoon/evening basically unblocked it and gave it to someone else. So the front desk staff there basically lies to your face, kicks the ball down the rood and points their finger at the previous shift, and steals rooms from each other, Also, despite leaving a tip for housekeeping on our first night's stay, they decided to keep my iPhone charger instead of turning it in to the front desk. So they're a pack of thieves who steal even when you are nice enough to leave a tip. Overall, a horrible stay at this Holiday Express which is unfortunate because we've had 2 nice stays in the past which led us to stay again on our recent trip. We will absolutely never be back.

Room Tip: You have to be on the top-floor or else you'll be listening to very very very loud foot traffic...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager45963, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Las Vegas South, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for posting your comments in regards to your recent stay with us. I would like to extend a sincere apology for the way your request was handled during your check inn process and would like the opporunity to speak with you further. Please contact me directly at 702-736-0098. Sincerely,
Sarah