“Home base away from the hustle and bustle of the Strip”
Review of Cancun Resort

Cancun Resort
Ranked #98 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed November 12, 2011

I think what initially attracted me to the Cancun Resort was the "villas," which have full kitchen facilities and are like self-contained mini-apartments. When on vacation, I like the option of being able to cook for myself if I get tired of "dining out" all the time. The Cancun Resort is a time-share property, but the management must treat a number of the villas more like hotel rooms, making them available for anyone who makes a reservation.

The resort is located south of Las Vegas' airport, on Las Vegas Blvd South, an easy 3.5 mile drive from the heart of the Strip. I had a rental car, so going back and forth was no problem. It might be more difficult if one doesn't have access to a vehicle and is dependent upon public transportation.

The facility was quiet and clean, with daily maid service for the villas. Parking was plentiful and convenient, either in the parking garage located on the lower level of each building in the complex, or alongside (behind) the various buildings. The small kitchen came well-stocked with the basics of dishes, cutlery, pots and pans, and small appliances, as well as a full-sized fridge, gas oven/range, and microwave. I really enjoyed being able to return to the quiet of the Cancun Resort, a bit of a distance from the hustle and bustle and crowds of the Strip.

Each villa actually has 2 bathrooms: a smaller one -shower, toilet, sink -- located off the sitting room which has a sofa bed, and a very spacious bathroom off the bedroom with a double vanity and a jacuzzi tub/shower. I found the mattress on the bed to be a little soft for my liking, but not uncomfortable by any means. Each villa also has a spacious balcony with 2 chairs and a small table on it.

I did not take advantage of the concierge services on premise while I was there, but the staff is more than willing to help their guests arrange show tickets, reservations, excursions, etc. I did use the Day Spa facilities one time during my stay and was very pleased with the therapeutic treatment I received there.

Room Tip: The villa I had (one bedroom, sleeps up to 4 people) was on the side that looked south, away from th...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank Brian M

Reviewed November 9, 2011

Cancun resort is a very average facility that serves a purpose but isn't anything extraordinary. Sometimes that is all that is needed. The location is off strip, access is good, parking is good, rooms are adequate, furniture other than beds is horrible, kitchen is very tiny yet functional, bathrooms are large, water pressure was amazing, rooms were mostly quiet, tv's are old and blurry, kitchen lacked some utensils making it difficult to make certain dishes, good patio, but bad patio furniture. Staff was friendly enough, swimming pool is great, on premises dining is mediocre. There was a small attempt to get us to participate in time-share buying but nothing serious and it was expected.

Room Tip: Really two choices here, facing the pool courtyard area or facing North, South, and East away from t...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Saluki100
Reviewed November 2, 2011

That is really disappointing news....it's actually a deal breaker for me. The free shuttle made staying so far from the Strip a little more convenient. Especially since I can stay at Tahiti Village for cheaper, with a free shuttle and they are slightly closer to the Strip. I know times are tough but getting rid of the shuttle was a big mistake in my opinion. I hope this will change
as I don't like renting a car with all the walking I do on the Strip.
Otherwise, the pool at Cancun is very nice and the rooms, a bit small but nice enough.
The full kitchens are a bit on the small size.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank looking4sun09
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Our party of 8 (5 adults & 3 children) stayed here for 2 weeks. 2 adults & 3 children stayed in a 2 bedroomed villa and myself, husband & 19 year old son stayed in a 1 bedroomed villa. The first thing we noticed upon entering was how clean it smelt. My son had a double sofa bed and his own bathroom in the living room area which also had a wooden screen he could pull across for privacy. The villa itself was very spacious and comfortable. The queen bed in our room was the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in!! The ensuite was very spacious with lots of storage and the bedroom had lots of drawers as well as a wardrobe. The rooms were cleaned every day, towels changed, bins emptied, soaps etc replenished and the dishwasher even filled and put on if I forgot! The sofa bed was also pulled out, made and put back daily! We had a toilet blockage one day which was unblocked within half an hour by a member of staff and the sofa bed was locked in the out position another day which was assessed and replaced straight away with a brand new one. The staff were polite, helpful and courteous from the start. The pool area was spotless with plenty of sunbeds and clean towels and lilos (rafts!). The pool and jacuzzis were open as long as there was a lifeguard on duty until 10pm and the slides were great. The rest of our family in the 2 bedroomed villa could not fault it either and we will stay here again on our next visit without hesitation.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed October 26, 2011

We have membership in the Monarch Grand family of vacation resorts, which includes the Cancun resort, so we have stayed here many times. It has been a great location for family stays as well as romantic getaways. One of the main draws for us is its distance from the casinos and craziness of the Strip. This is a quiet location with beautiful grounds and abundant amenities. Our kids love the game room and the whole family appreciates the exercise room. One of our favorite activities is the pool and water slides, although we are almost always disappointed with how early the water slides close. I'm sure the assumption is that by 5 or 6 pm, everyone is out gambling for the night, but that is not the case for our family. The rooms are very comfortable and spacious. Temperatures are easily controlled. Beds are comfortable, too. We always use the kitchens, which are well stocked with utensils, pots, pans, baking dishes, etc. The Food 4 Less across the street is very convenient for buying groceries for your own meal preparation, which we prefer. Sitting around the dining table to eat our homecooked meal together is a highlight of our stays here. We've never had any problems with resort staff. I do wish they would give us our parking placard when checking in instead of forcing us to wait in another line at the concierge desk so that they can give us advertisements and brochures for mostly inappropriate (for families) activities.

Room Tip: Views of the mountains are beautiful at sunset, but we've also enjoyed rooms with views of the p...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank TAMARASW
Reviewed October 25, 2011

We stayed here for two weeks in October. The apartment was generally on the small side - particularly the kitchen but acceptable. The balcony is quite large but they could improve the practicallity of it, by making better furniture available - it is currently wasted space as you cant really use it. The apartments are quite dark and would benefit from lighter furniture - I think they are remodelling some of the apartments so perhaps this is part of the plan. The air-conditioning was effective but extremely noisy - the whole apartment shook - so much that the lightfitting shattered! The pool area is good (pool is not heated) and slides etc for kids - the music a bit too loud at times - but maybe we are just getting old! The transport to the strip was ad-hoc, when we arrived there was transport to the strip for a fee but then it stopped again. We did use it, but we had one occasion when it let us down - but I think it is better to provide some transport as taxis are expensive. We also used the local bus service which is cheap enough, but again not awfully reliable.

I would say the hotel has cut costs - which is understandable in the current climate, but it was noticeable. The first thing we noticed was there is nobody to help with luggage - not a problem if they had automatic doors - but they dont. It was a long way to haul your luggage without any assistance. Also the conceirge staff seemed very inexperienced and had no local knowledge - which is obviously quite important. They can book trips etc - but added nothing to the process.

There is no free wi-fi, but you can just walk across the road to Starbucks for this, or also the restaurant (Steiners) also just across the road. I would say they hotel are missing a trick here, because guests were going to the facilities over the road and spending money, whereas if their was free wi-fi on the resort, they would have probably spent more money there. We found the restaurants to be poor - the service rather than the food. We only had breakfast and dinner there once - that was enough. Again, I think this is maybe where they have cut costs. It was adequate - but no more than that.

The resort was very clean and tidy and the grounds well maintained.

I think if we went to Las Vegas again, we would stay nearer the strip - this is just too far out without free transport.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2011

We stayed here in October 2011. The apartment like suites were well designed with kitchen, dining room, living room, bedroom, and two bathrooms. The space was great. There are planned activities and restaurants as well as the required gambling, but the casino is separated and not visible. The pool was wonderful--huge, nice, and had water slides (open only during the day). The number of life guards was laughable, and the pool is very dark at night. Since most places don't have life guards, I'm not sure why they even had one unless it is required in LV. The location is great if you are just flying in or out like we were, but not if you want to spend you time on the strip. It is not walkable and the shuttle service available only certain days of the week was $6 per person each way. Overall, this was a great place.

Room Tip: Mountain view faces mountains in stead of side road.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family