“Casino Has Some Issues With Panhandlers”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Casino Royale
Ranked #55 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Casino Has Some Issues With Panhandlers”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

I have frequented this casino very often. Lately, I have given thought to taking my business elsewhere. I have two number one reasons.
First of all, I work hard, and when I go into a casino and want to relax after a long night at work, and want to play low stake penny keno or nickel poker, I want to feel relaxed. I can't do that when there are continually these annoying freeloaders, many with very poor hygiene, some well dressed, harrassing me and other players at the machines. They will sit down next to us, or stand in back of us while we are trying to play, making comments, sometimes acting as if they are pros, which they are not, then after a few minutes try to ask me or someone else if we have a dollar or a few dollars, with the promise to give me or them the winnings if they win(I have been in Vegas too long to know not to fall for this). When I say no, they will stand there or sit there and some will act like I owe this to them. It becomes un-comfortable and annoying, rather than relaxing, like the environment should be.
Secondly, a number reason, is the reason why a lot of businesses in Vegas are hurting and still don't understand why gaming figures are down here. It is because they don't care about their clientele. This is a perfect example. They want business, but yet shoot themselves in the foot everytime. I could go into this place every single night for the next 200 years and would not get any better recognition or treatment than if I went in there for the first time. The one time I had an issue, ie, ordered drinks from a cocktail server and waited well over an hour and never received it(not the first time that had happened), called beverage from my phone, and nobody ever called me back. I could have one of their employees take care of me 100 times in a row and if I walk in the door not feel one ounce of acknowledgement or welcome back. It feels like, "we don't care, if you don't like us, go somewhere else".
Lets look at other areas. Cleanliness is below average, but better than it was. There is a lot of rude and boisterous clientele walking loudly through the area or hanging out during peak periods and they clog up main walking arteries and it is difficult to maneuver. I have rarely met a kind person in this establishment.
Cocktail service(I order non-alcoholic beverages), is in-consistent. There was one who I would give an order to and never see again. There is one who always knows what I like and makes sure I get taken care of when she is in my station. There are some who are nice, and some who are just lackluster in their personable service areas. Some nights I can sit down and see a cocktail server within a matter or minutes, other nights, it will be an hour or two before I see someone, and other nights there is nobody, it is like a wild guess when I walk in what will happen. In that, normally if I am lucky to get a drink, there is generally about a 50% chance that they will ask me if I want another one. Some will walk right by me and I will have to flag them down to get their attention. I would think after all this time, they would be attentive enough to see this regular and say hey, "Would you like a ___ ____ tonight?"
The food options vary. The Denny's is very good. I ate at the Outback Steakhouse on property about two years ago and it was far below Outback Standards. I got a baked potato about the size of my fist, and my steak look like a little dried out turd. I received no bread service, and left very disappointed. Downstairs in the casino they have a $1.99 foot long hot dog outlet. However, if you want a soft drink with it, they charge you another $3.00. There is a Cinnabon, Subway, and Noble Roman's, charging slightly higher than normal prices and an adequate eating area.
If I want a drink at the bar forget it. It seems like typical Vegas, like you have to be someone's friend, or be related to someone to get service there. I could stand there or sit there for two hours and not get serviced. I just gave up on that bar a long time ago. If I am really thirsty and I don't want to play cocktail server roulette, I just suck it up, and drop by and buy myself a soft drink on my way to the machines.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Alrunner342

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Frisco, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

This place is awesome for what it is. I had not stayed here before, just came for the $3 craps year after year. This year finally decided to give it a shot since I could not get a reasonable hotel room around this area (booked too late).

This is not high dollar, of course, but it's not supposed to be. You don't bring your wife or girlfriend here to impress her. You stay here because you want something cheaper and convenient. The hotels rooms were recently remodeled and very clean. Remember, this is just a standard hotel room, nothing more but the location and convenience absolutely cannot be beat.

When you walk out of the guest room area, it's just 5 yards to the strip. From there immediately to your left are Chipotle, Panda Express and a few more places about 10 yards from you. Did I mention the Subway inside?

Don't you get tired of leaving your hotel room and walking 300 yards for a cup of coffee or a bite to eat? Forget that - this place doesn't put you through that. On top of it, you have a fridge and coffee maker in your room - can't get that at the big resort hotels.

Service was friendly and, of course, there's the three dollar craps, again about 60 seconds from your room. It's not super quiet but then bring your ear plugs if you're going to bed early or want to sleep until 11.

If there was a 6 rating for location, I would have given it. Hope this gem lives forever.

I'm going to add a blackjack report to some hotels on the strip. Basically, blackjack is nearly a dead game in Las Vegas, you have to work hard to find even a reasonable game. Blackjack here was paying 6:5, something I won't ever play. It was $5 but really, you're not going to play 6:5, right?

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Jeff G
Adelaide
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed at the Best Western Plus Casino Royaleon 2 occasions during April 2013 and it was exactly what we needed for our stay in Vegas. My wife was in town for a conference and we wanted to stay somewhere reasonably priced and well located. This fitted the bill perfectly.
We weren't there to gamble, so can't comment on the casino, but the room was clean, well appointed and comfortable. Bar fridge, WiFi, etc. No suitcase racks, which would have been good given that the room wasn't huge.
Location was great, right in the middle of the action with plenty of places to eat not far.
Would recommend this hotel if you want a relatively hassle free and inexpensive stay in Vegas, with lots to see right outside your door.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AdelaideCouple
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

The parking lot is behind the denny's as mentioned, and you cannot access it (easily) from behind the strip due to the construction of the giant wheel down the street. Check in was easy, our reservation was in order and the front desk clerk showed us to our room personally. I was a little dissapointed that none of my 'special requests' were met (high floor, quiet/odd side, extra pillows) and we were on a 1st floor room with 2 pillows next to a dumpster. Aside from the lack of a view, this ended up making no difference. While I have enjoyed watching the Bellagio fountains, Mirage volcano, and other Vegas attractions from my room it's not required (after all, you can walk about and see them up close easily). The room was well appointed, with a small fridge and electronic safe. The TV has only 5 or so channels, all local, but again you're not going to vegas to watch TV. The guest corridor is smoke free, and there is a nice business center and vending area with decent priced snacks. The only bad part about the halls were very low ceilings. I am 6'4" and had to walk along the wall to avoid hitting the sprinkler heads. Fortunately the room ceilings opened up. The players club is kind of a joke, since the $50 credit they give you works on only a small batch of old "promotional" slots. I beleive the fine print reads payouts of $4000 or more will be paid at $100. The pool is small and near the parking lot. Not the social scene of larger resorts, but a nice place to take a dip or sun. The WiFi is free and fast, and I did not have the troubles some have complained of with spotty coverage. I'm not a big coffee guy, but the Kuerig maker in each room is a nice touch. Cons: no breakfast, no hotel guide or local info in rooms, no views. Pros: no resort fee, trusted BW name (and points!), new quiet rooms for peaceful escape from the strip (even on the first floor), center strip location next to Harrahs, across from Mirage. So if you're looking to see Vegas without the pomp and circumstance of the big resorts, BW Casino Royale is a decent place to crash.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank doctamale
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed here for two nights with friends April 24-26, 2013. We had four rooms booked. I called the hotel the morning of our arrival and asked if we could have all of our rooms on the same floor. Thomas at the dront desk put us in four rooms all in a row, which was very convenient. The check-in took 10 minutes, not like the long wait to check in at the large casino resorts.

If you are looking for a big pool party atmosphere as part of your trip, this is not the place for you. The pool is small and peaceful.

The rooms were all clean and recently updated. Parking in the garage behind the hotel is free. There is a Denny's restuarant on one side of the hotel and a Chipotle between BW+ Casino Royale and Harrah's. There is also a McDonald's right next door, which was convenient for coffee in the morning.

We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Matt J
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Great location in the middle of the action at a great price. There's a nice little pool next to the parking lot, the rooms seem to have been renovated recently, and there are mini-fridges in the rooms. It's cozy and amazingly quiet, tucked in between big hotels. Free wifi, free parking, and helpful staff. We would stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CTPN
Marseille
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed in Casino Royale for a few days in April 2013. I was in Las Vegas on business and not interested in gambling, drinking smoking, etc....

The greatest thing about Casino Royale is that the hotel section is quite small, just 4 floors, and you get in and out in seconds. From the hotel elevator, you're just a couple meters (a few feet) to the street. You do not have to walk for ever between noisy gambling machines, smokers and drinkers like in the larger casinos.

As the place is small, I was instantly helped at the reception when checking in and out. No endless queues here!

The room is all right, with everything you'd expect, including a coffee machine. Internet was free, fast and efficient in my room (#407).

Room Tip: The odd numbers are obviously quieter than the even numbers.