“Very Nice Stay”

Wyndham Grand Desert
Ranked #29 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 26, 2007

Stayed here from Aug 21st to Aug 25th. For the price we paid, I thought this hotel was a great value. It is located about 3 blocks south of Planet Hollywood, but with the free shuttle to Harrah's, you rarely need to be outside in the scorching sun. The property was very clean and the unit we had (1 bedroom) was a lot bigger then a typical hotel. I liked the kitchen, as we had breakfast a few times throughout the trip. My only drawback would probably have been the bathroom, as we found a few towels to be unclean, but other than that, we were very happy with the property.

I would definitley recommend this place to anyone and would consider staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank T-dot_Traveller_76
There are newer reviews for Wyndham Grand Desert

Reviewed August 24, 2007

We stayed at the grand desert in April it was a very nice hotel. The rooms were clean. The only thing I missed were fresh towels. So I washed what they gave us it was very nice to have a laudry machine in the room. Pool area was very nice chairs were very comfy. We were there for the sales pitch and promised free tickets to a show which we did receive. We were also told we would get another free stay. Never did get that. The salesperson we had was extremely high pressure and rude.
Liked that the bus went to harrah's every half hour and that we weren't right on the strip. The people at the desk could take some courtesy classes. If your trying to sell something a good first impression helps. I would probably stay there again but not ever consider purchasing.

Stayed: April 2007
5  Thank audge40
Reviewed August 5, 2007

We just returned from a 5 night stay at the Wyndham Grand Desert with our 2 children who are 19 and 21. My husband and I have been to Vegas many times and stayed at all the top hotels. We weren't sure what to expect being off the strip in a non casino hotel. It was PERFECT ! We had a 2 bedroom suite that overlooked the pool. Our room was gorgeous and comfortable. We were on the 11th floor in Tower 1 and would recommend either Tower 1 or 2 for convenience. The shuttle to Harrah's was perfect and gave us quick access to the strip. We will definetly go back and stay at this resort again !!
Dale and Rob
Tennessee

Stayed: August 2007
6  Thank wbcdale
Reviewed August 4, 2007

We stayed at the Wyndam for five days in a 2 bedroom deluxe the last week in July.

Overall, the experience was good. The suite was a decent size. master bedroom had a comfy king bed with a jacuzzi and shower in the master bath. The other bedroom had 2 double beds with a nice sized bathroom with walk-in shower. Well equipped kitchen had a full sized fridge, stove, microwave dishwasher, coffee maker, blender and plenty of cups, glasses, dishes and silverware. We never cooked in the room so I can't comment on the cookware,

The lobby was large and there were plenty of places to sit.

There is no valet parking, and at night spots can be hard to find without a good walk.

Our bellman not only brought in the bags, but he turned on the ice maker in the freezer and went downstairs to get us some maps and coupons.

There was good reception on the televisions with a nice selection on channels for kids. Air conditioning in the room was good but a little noisy. Also there were only two options, really cold or off.. Although there was a thermostat, it turned the air conditioning on when you set it at 68 and turned in off at 70 , so you if you liked to keep the room at 71, you couldn't. 68 was a little cool for our tastes.

Rooms were quiet - you couldn't hear noise from adjoining rooms or hallways. We were told we'd have a view, and we did- of the parking lot.

The pool area was extraordinary. Nice padded lounge chairs and tables with umbrellas gave you choice of shade or sun. The big issue was the pool water was cold - despite the 112 degree weather. There was one pool for families and one for adults only. A nice idea, but the staff did not enforce the "over 18" rule in the adult pool. There was a cute little cafe/deli by the adult pool where you could get breakfast or lunch and the food was pretty good. We ordered lunch there twice. Prices were reasonable and they had something for everyone from burgers to salads.

We were never badgered to take the timeshare tour. We decided to have a look, and the salesperson was very nice and low pressure. We were never pressured to buy and were treated respectfully as were my in-laws. My father in law wanted time to think about upgrading his membership and he was allowed to meet with the sales person again the next day. Her name was Rita and she was great. If we weren't turned off by the maintenance issues we would have bought. For our time, we were given three free buffet coupons at the Rio and two half off coupons for Harrah's buffet. It was well worth the 45 minute investment to eat at the two best buffets in Vegas.

The staff at the desk were helpful and offered us coupons for free buffets at Terrible's hotel and casino. It wasn't worth going there even for free. The name says it all.

Now on to our complaints. The toilet in the guest bedroom ran and, despite their "twenty minute guarantee" it was never fixed in five days. No maid service unless you wanted to pay extra (but there was a washer and dryer in the master bath) so you could wash your towels yourself .

On one evening, we were coming back from a casino and the place was overrun with teenagers. There was a whole Taco Bell "chalupa" thrown on the floor near the elevators.

The next morning, my husband and son went to the pool for an early swim. There were no clean towels, all the dirty towels from the previous day were still in the bin and the pool was filthy. For my nine year old to call it disgusting says it all.

When we mentioned the maintenance and cleanliness concerns to the staff they told us they were having housekeeping "issues" and gave us an apology.

We probably would not stay there again if we had to pay the going rate of $180/night. But considering we stayed for free (my in-laws are Wyndham owners) it was well worth the price.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank radiochick55
Reviewed July 31, 2007

My husband and I just returned from a great time in Las Vegas and stayed at the Wyndham Grand Desert.
Our plane arrived early and we went to the hotel around 11, we were told to come back at 1:30 and our room would be ready. While we waited we went to the pool and had lunch at their grill.
Our room was great, 1 bedroom with a kitchen, living room, and whirlpool tub. It was very clean and overlooked the strip.
The staff was friendly and would answer any questions you had.

What i loved- they have a free computer room to use the internet. there are about 6 computers that are available all day to sign in and use. this was very helpful!

I read another review where they said the staff was pushy if you were not a time share member. At check-in they sent us to see a woman and get our "welcome packet" At that time, she asked if we would be interested in participating in one of their "surveys" (having stayed at a timeshare before I knew what she meant) We said no, since we had not even checked in our room yet. Once we said NO- she was completely rude to us. Her attitude changed so quickly I couldn't believe it. Other than this lady and her rude tone, everyone else was very nice!

Take the shuttle! We used the shuttle back and forth from harrahs everyday- very nice. We did walk one time from the strip to the hotel, it wasn't awful but we were tired when we got back from walking the whole strip and then walking home. The shuttle stops around midnight- so you may want to take a taxi back to the hotel if after this time.

The pool was great during the day since it is so hot! We enjoyed sitting out there. It does get crowded and there are not enough chairs, arriving early between 10 and 11 we had no problem getting a chair at the adult pool and had a great time.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
9  Thank lhutchins13
Reviewed July 21, 2007

Just spent the weekend there, 6th thru the 9th in a one BR. It was our first stay off the strip and we were very pleased. Very large comfortable rooms with all the amenities, including a very well equiped kitchen. HUGE bath areas, one with hot-tub and sink, the other with huge shower and sink. Separate areas with doors separating them for privacy.

Noone approached us about a sales tour, HOWEVER --- after I checked us in I was directed to the desk opposite the check-in area to get my parking permit. At this desk a salesman (obvious from slick appearance and speech) made offers of free tickets, cash, etc. and pressed sales material on me that I had no interest in. I smiled and declined, took the parking permit, no problem. I'm told that if I'd taken any of the offers I would've been badgered the whole time as I saw some folks getting hit on.

Will stay there again---great bang for the buck, close to the strip, straight shot downtown (Paradise or Maryland streets) and close to groceries, off-strip casinos and restaurants (go east on Harmon street to Maryland).

FYI, I found the best rate on Ebay from a gent I'd highly recommend. No snags, all up and up. His name/email is William Spearman [--]. One of the good guys.

Enjoy !

Stayed: July 2007
6  Thank LoboTX
Reviewed July 19, 2007

This timeshare resort offers large suites which were a welcome change for a family enduring cramped motel rooms on a two-week trip through the southwest.

The resort is located about four blocks from the strip and offers a shuttle to Harrah's, about a mile away, about every half hour.

Our room had two bedrooms, a living area and large kitchen dining area, probably about 900 square feet. There is also an in-room laundry.

There were a few minor problems in our room (broken toilet handle, broken sink stopper and shower handle) but the sfaff quickly fixed the problems.

A good base for a stay in Vegas, but internet access is not free.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family