“Quiet, but still close to everything” 4 of 5 stars

Wyndham Grand Desert
Ranked #29 of 267 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Louisville, Kentucky
“Quiet, but still close to everything”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

My husband and I went to Vegas for our anniversary, and this place was great. We really enjoyed our stay. We were close enough to the strip to enjoy ourselves and see the sites, but still off the beaten path. They had a shuttle service to take you back and forth to the strip for a small fee, and you get one free pass at check-in.

They also had shuttle service to several other places like outlet shopping, Freemont street experience, the grocery store all for a fee. I didn't use any of these services because we rented a car, and drove ourselves around.

The rooms were nice and everything was clean. The only thing I didn't like about the room, was there were no windows that I could open or a balcony. I know it's hot in Vegas, but I always like being able to open windows and get some fresh air.

We especially enjoyed the adults only pool. It was very nice to be able to have an area where we could enjoy the pool without being splashed by kids or have to listen to the screaming and playing that kids usually do when in a pool. There were plenty of beach towels, and I especially enjoyed that I was able to take a beach towel, and then toss it in the hamper without having to keep up with it the entire stay like at some places. (even though its not environmentally friendly, but I still enjoyed it.)

Also, enjoyed the social activities such as the jazz social with margaritas, and chips and salsa.

We did endure a time share presentation to get the 125 dollar restaurant voucher. It was a hard sell, but my husband and I managed to say No.

One last great thing, is it was close to the airport.

Really enjoyed the stay, and I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dorothy D
Barbara_Dejohn, Manager at Wyndham Grand Desert, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank your so much Dorothy D for your review of the Grand Desert. We were so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your aniversary with us. We also want to thank you for the detailed review of our amenities and activities. We hope to see you and your family and friends in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
Riverton, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Based on various reviews, location and 6 in our group we decided to book a 2 bedroom suite at the Wyndham. We really wanted to stay on the strip but suites were pricey and we wanted to be together not in separate rooms.

We arrived on Wednesday to check in (minus two people.) I read other reviews about aggressive time share sales people but I guess I was lucky. The gentleman at the parking pass counter gave his little shpeel, I said no and I was never bothered again during my stay (perhaps because we were in tower 3 and never there LOL)

I didn't find this out until I was checking out: there is a Starbucks bar on the right of the check in counter! I knew there was coffee in tower 2 but was too lazy to walk over for a cup. I read someone said read the book....I never glanced at our book....I hope we didn't do something wrong! LOL

We stayed in tower 3 and LOVED our room. Spacious, clean, and comfortable. We could hear the music blasting from the MGM pool (I think that is where it was coming from) but it didn't bother us much. Our room, on the 13th floor, faced the airport and you can see the south Strip.

The kitchen had everything you would need if you wanted to make a meal to save money. We were too busy/lazy to cook but I would recommend getting a pizza, chicken wings or fresh fruit to munch on while resting. There's even a shuttle to Von's. If you need to clean up, there are cleaning items in the living room closet. We also had a hair dryer under the bathroom sink. Both rooms had alarm clocks and TVs.

We were able to park close to our building door Wednesday and Thursday but had trouble finding a spot anywhere Friday and Saturday early mornings.

Perks: Black out curtains, jet tub, roomy suite, HBO, washer/dryer, comfortable bed/pillows, separate pool open 24 hours in tower 3 but is not adult only (should be.) Close to the strip and down a short ways from the airport.

Overall our experience at this resort was great. I really wanted to take the pillows home, they were so comfortable!! I'd recommend this location to friends & family going to Vegas. We may even book it again soon.

Room Tip: If you have a lot to carry to your room you may want to get a lower floor, we did not find a luggage...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Kathryn D
Barbara_Dejohn, Manager at Wyndham Grand Desert, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Thank you so much Kathryn D for writing such a detailed review of the Grand Desert. We were so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Seems like you did your homework on choosing a resort and we had either met or exceeded your expectations. Thanks for the comments on how you loved our pillows. A pillow is an essential component to a good nights sleep. We hope to see you and your family and friends again.
Salt Lake City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We stayed at the Wyndham from July 19th to July 26th in Tower 1. We were in a 2 bed 2 bath room which had a washer/dryer combo. Nice quality of fixtures, granite counter tops and a large 2 person jetted tub in the master bath. Unfortunately the quality ends there....

As far as comfort goes this place is terrible.

Furniture:
The couch is a hide-a-bed couch and very uncomfortable to sit on for periods greater than 30 minutes. The couch is very cheap with small cushions. I used to own a nice hide-a-bed couch that you could NOT tell was a hide-a-bed, this was NOT one of those couches....

The rest of the furniture was average. There is a large dining table with room enough for 10 people.

Beds:
All of the beds had cheap spring mattresses on them making for a terrible nights rest. No pillowtops at all. An investment into a decent pillow top bed WOULD make this one of the best places to stay.

The Pools:
They have 3 pools available none of which are deeper than 4 feet. The Family pool wasn't too crowded at times considering this is where most people would be. The Adults only pool is a relaxation pool and at times seemed like you were at a seniors center as floating is about the only thing allowed there. We never visited the 3rd pool that was open 24 hours as it was smaller and at another tower.

The Activities Room where the Xboxes were are in Tower 2. It's free to use them and the ping pong table. Everything else in there costs extra. Pool, Air Hockey and most of the games were $1.00 per game which can add up really fast. The game selection for Xbox was ok, they didn't have the latest Madden 25 from last year which was a bummer. We only went to the Activities center twice during our stay of 7 days. That right there says it's nothing much.

The convenience store on site is extremely over priced. Be sure to get the things you need prior to your arrival as a 12 pack of Tecate Beer was $24.00. Just to give you an idea of how bad that price is you can get a case of Corona at the Albertsons Grocery store a few blocks down the road for $30.00. The store is more focused on selling souvenirs/clothes than in stocking the things you need for an extended stay. They need to drop the price in half on everything in there and put more of the things people need.

All in all it wasn't the worst stay we've had in Vegas and far from the best. You are bothered with Sales people trying to sell time shares but after the second time we told them we weren't interested they stopped bugging us. The Sales people are rude and unfriendly unless they are giving you a tour trying to get you to buy. We met one Sales Rep who actually said "Hi" to us out and about. The other 40 wouldn't give you a seconds glance.

It would take ALOT for us to consider staying here again. With confort/sleep being sacrificed and a decent pool to enjoy, you'd be better off staying someplace else. The only plus is that it's cheap in cost but I guess you get what you pay for. Spend a few hundred more on a nicer place....

Room Tip: Don't expect comfort in the couch and beds.
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank Robbmrp
Barbara_Dejohn, Manager at Wyndham Grand Desert, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Robbmrp thank you for your detailed review of your stay at the Grand Desert. Please accept our apologizes for the discomfort of the bed and sofa in your unit. We are due for a renovation of furniture and with your comments it couldn't come soon enough. We hope that you did take advantage of our shuttle to the grocerty store to pick up any items you needed at a more reasonable price? Thank you again for taking the time to write a review.
Collinsville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We are owners at this resort. We love the location, because we have annual conferences at MGM. It is a quick 5 minute walk over. I enjoy the clean resort with kitchen and laundry for each unit. The shuttle to Harrahs is great, b/c it gets you to the strip without paying for a cab. They DO NOT have a shuttle from the airport. I recommend a cab. You can take the shuttle/bus from the airport, but there is always a LONG wait.
It is a timeshare, so they will approach you about buying. Since we are already owners, we are able to decline. They do have a small restaurant on site as well as discount tickets, etc to area attractions.
Several pools. This place is family friendly, although I never recommend taking children to Las Vegas.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Dan_Jen10
Thank you so much Dan_Jen10 for your positive review of the Grand Desert. Seems like you know how to get around and all about the amenities and perks. That's great when you come often. I must tell you that we really do appreciate when guests take the time to write a favorable review with so much detail. We can't wait for your next visit. Thank you again for taking the time.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We stayed here for my sister's wedding and we booked the presidential suite. It was SO SPACIOUS. We had 8 people sleeping comfortably in the 3 bedroom suite- and it did not feel cramped at all. We even held the bridesmaids luncheon in our room, and it felt like home. When the make up artists came for the wedding party, they couldn't believe how nice and large the condo was- and they go to hotels ALL the time for wedding parties. It was a beautiful space and a great location. The shuttle to Harrahs was very convenient.

Cleanliness
1 Thank Susisaurus
Susisaurus thank you so much for taking the time to write such a positive review of the Grand Desert. When I read your review I smiled throughout. What a great feeling it is to hear that on your sisters special day that will be remembered for years to come that we were able to provide some of those wonderful memories here at the Grand Desert. We hope that you get to come back to our resort and create more memories with family and friends again.
Hacienda Heights, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

My family stayed here, last week. The overall experience was great! I loved the variety of pool & jacuzzi options. One pool is 24-hour, which allowed us to hang out all night long, if we wanted. The adult pool was very nice, with a live band one day, and a DJ, on another. We met some interesting people, including two Russian-speaking ladies, a musician, and people from various walks of life. The pool was pleasant and it was fun floating around on noodles all day. The rooms were nice--just a little cramped--but my large family of seven+1 had a good time (we had two rooms). The security guards were very nice and accommodating. It was certainly worth the time and a very relaxing vacation. Feel free to ask any questions about the stay.

Room Tip: Perhaps, a double would be more spacious. The sinks in the singles were somewhat small.
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you so much KSeanWar for your detailed review of your stay at the Grand Desert. We appreciate the details you shared about our pools and other amenities. We so strive to provide lasting memories for our guests. We hope to see you and your family and friends again. Glad you met some interesting people while vacationing as well.
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I rated this resort only average because of the following:
1. Check-in & check-out were slow because mainly of the slow computer which I experienced also when I tried to print my airplane boarding pass. Recommend to replace the current computer system and update to a faster computer system.
2. Directed to go to Guest services which will give you your information packet and tried to convince you to attend a presentation, like giving you $100 gift certificate and free breakfast. They stopped after I told them our time was limited.
3. The breakfast in Tower 1 cafe where we stayed was not good at all. The scrambled eggs looked like plastic and tasted awful and very expensive, more than $38 for a very simple breakfast for 3 people . We ate there only once after this bad experience. I do not recommend people to eat in the cafe.
4. There should be arrow to follow from Tower 2 reception to Tower 1 especially going to a door then pass thru the garage and to the elevator and vice versa that you have to take level 2 from Tower 1 turning right once out from the elevator, then open the door and turn left to Tower 2 to the reception area.
5. Cannot get a taxi in Tower 1 because all the taxis were taken those checking out or going places in Tower 2 where the taxis go first. So, every time we needed a ride, we go to Tower 2 entrance. This is especially true if you need a shuttle ride to Harrah or grocery shopping, etc.
6. The grocery in Tower 1 was very expensive, e.g. a small bottle of water costs about $4.
Great things about the resort:
1. The grocery shopping shuttle to VONS grocery is a must. The driver was very nice and told us to tell the cashier that we were in the Wyndham grocery shopping shuttle to give us discount and boxes when they bag our groceries. For $40 after $6 discount, we bought 7 types of fruits, eggs, milk, cream, water, snacks, bread, etc., more than enough supply for 4 breakfast. We ate out for lunch and dinner because there were lots of excellent and cheap restaurants in Vegas. This grocery store was cheap, clean, and lot of selections. I highly recommend for guests to get their groceries in the place. The round trip fare was $5/person and can be reserved a day in advance in the activities center to ensure a spot in the bus.
2. There were several free shuttles going to Harrah every 20 minutes. From Harrah, there was also a free shuttle going to Rio. The shuttles to Harrah and shopping do not allow children 6 and under to ride due to safety per Nevada law.
3. There were a lot of activities at the resort that we did not do because we went to Vegas to attend a reunion which booked all our activities. There was a free 3 D movies at the theater in the resort. Also, there was a Havana party one afternoon.
4. Be able to use a free Wifi at the resort.
5. We stayed in a 1 bedroom unit and had washer and dryer, a full kitchen and well furnished appliances which was very convenient to prepare breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
6. Tower 1 and tower 2 had their own activities center.
7. Trash cans and shuts were located in each floor, read your resort manual in the room.
8. Very close to the airport about $8 from the resort but more than $12 from the airport because of the $2 airport fee added to your fare. Taxi to Caesar palace or Wynn was about $8 from the resort.
I definitely going back to this resort when I go to Vegas since it was great and quiet location, staff was helpful and nice but stay in Tower 2 for convenience.

Room Tip: Stay in Tower 2.
6 Thank Jaime L
Barbara_Dejohn, Manager at Wyndham Grand Desert, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Thank you so much Peka19 for the extensive review of the Grand Desert. We appreciate the time you took to detail the pros and cons of the resort. We are so pleased that you had so many pros to write about. All of our associates strive to be sure that each and every guest has a great experiece while staying with us. We do apologize for the meal you experienced at our cafe. We do thank you for the details of all of the items you were able to purchase at the grocery store and that you took advantage of the shuttles. We also are so happy to hear that we will see you and family and friends again in the future.