“What a great holiday”

Wyndham Grand Desert
Ranked #29 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I have stayed at the Wyndham 4 times. And it gets better every Time staff are the best in the world we will be going back next year for another 2 weeks.
If you want a nice Top class room stay here.
The staff are so friendly and help Full and pleasant

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank gobbyman
There are newer reviews for Wyndham Grand Desert

Reviewed October 6, 2012

I just came back after spending a week at the Wyndham Grand Desert with my girl friend and we had a great time there. You'll see different reviews for the resort depending on what you're looking to do in Vegas. If you're looking for a wild party scene, then this might not be what you're looking for, and you should say on the strip (Caesars, Bellagio, Planet Hollywood etc). But it was perfect for us as we just wanted to check out the different casinos, walk around the strip and relax by the pool.

We had a 1 BR in tower 2 on the 9th floor, it had an ok view of the strip, but obviously not as good as if you were actually on the strip. It's about a 10-12 min walk from the hotel to the strip, but after day 1, we decided to drive to the casinos since they all have free parking. The hotel is about 3 blocks off the strip but once you get to the strip, you're right in the middle of all the large Casinos, but it can get tiring if you plan on checking out all the casinos and walk back to the Wyndham. I do recommend a car to fully enjoy the area, it just gives you a lot more flexibility to come and go as you please. We also decided to drive to the Grand Canyon for the day (long drive, 4 hours and 280 miles to the South Rim each way), but it was definitely worth it.

Our suite was clean and had more than enough space for the 2 of us. It's so nice to have your own kitchen and a living room area instead of spending a whole week in a hotel room with a mini fridge for at least 2x the cost. There was a 40" flat screen TV in the living room and on our last day, they came and replaced the tube TV in the bedroom with a 32" flat screen as well, which was nice. The bed and the pillows were very comfortable, the staff was friendly and there was free WiFi throughout the resort, it worked fine with my laptop, but it was hit and miss on my iPhone. There was a gym on site, nothing fancy, but had some free weights, treadmill, etc that we both used a few times while we were there. There is an free business center on the 3rd floor of building 2 which allowed you to print out boarding passes or just check your email if you didn't bring your laptop.

Since we had a car, we found a Vons (supermarket for those from the East Cost) near by and did some grocery shopping so we can have breakfast and light snacks during the day there, they do offer a shuttle service but i think it cost $4 or $5 to take you to Vons. The front desk did try to pitch us to go to a time share "survey", but we respectfully declined and they left us alone except for 1 phone call during the week to ask us to attend, but we still didn't accept, and that was it.

The only thing we could have asked for was a balcony to be able to enjoy some fresh air. a few minor nuances, some reviews did mention a very strong carpet cleaner / deodorizer when you first walk in the room (like when you first walk into a soap store or Yankee candle store), we did notice that as well, but you get use to it after a few days. Based on the location of the buildings, the sun is pretty much gone after 3 PM so the pool temperature was a bit cool for my taste, but there were still a lot of people in the water.

Overall, we had a very nice time and would definitely return, it's a great couples retreat or for families with small kids, but not a great place for bachelor parties if you're looking for scantily clad women falling all over each other, but you're only a 3 min car ride away from the strip if that's what you're looking for.

Room Tip: Tower 2 on a higher floor, it's newer and in the middle of everything.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank yeh642
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights with family including infant. Booked online and got a great deal. Picked this place because it's away from the overwhelming insanity of the strip and also a lot cheaper. It's child friendly, 100% no-smoking rooms, no casino and two pools including a family pool. Don't stay here if you're in your 20's and looking to party! We found that most of the guests were either older or like us and had younger families. No sign of young party animals anywhere near this place.

The rooms were super large and had tons of space. We had a 1 bedroom room with king bed, and the room also included a livingroom and kitchen area with all the fixings including dishwasher, a hallway with large closet and laundry, and a large bathroom. The room we had was perhaps a tad dated, but all the amenities made up for it. We actually did laundry one night. Everything was super clean regardless of age. Looked like the hotel was going through a bit of a renovation process while we were there.

The on-site canteen was great for a snack and we were impressed with the quality of the food. They also have a Starbucks kiosk near the lobby. The staff was overly friendly.. everyone was equally polite and happy to greet us with a smile everytime we ran into an employee. We didn't get hassled for timeshare stuff at all.. probably because we didn't show up for the "follow up check-in and hotel introduction" the next morning so if you don't want to be hassled, just avoid showing up for this. The grounds were nice, and perfectly manicured and clean. The only small complaint is the pool area is located in the courtyard between the 3 large hotel buildings, making it feel a little boxed in. We were here in late September when the sun is a tad lower in the sky, so the pool areas only saw sun between late morning to mid-afternoon.

This hotel is only a 12min walk from the strip, about 2 blocks away and a fairly easy walk along the sidewalk. You end up at the intersection of Planet Hollywood Casino and the new City Center complex. We walked to the Bellagio to see the fountains twice, and it only took about 20-25 mins max. Not sure why some people are complaining about the distance.. I liked the location, far enough away so you don't get all the noise at night. Also nice to stay in a place that doesn't smell like an ashtray like some of the strip Casino hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank windowpane
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This property was everything I expected from Wyndham. Beautifully landscaped and well maintained. Comfortable bed and spacious living area. Kitchen was well stocked-we just didnt have time to use it. My only complaints were too little water pressure and that people are allowed to smoke right outside the entrances. I got enough smoke in Vegas and did not like having to walk into and out the doors and be overcome by it. Move the smoking area to somewhere besides where we wait for the shuttles.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My beautiful wife and i went to check in and check out this timeshare property! I have nothing but ****1/2 to give this wyndham timeshare property! The layout of this property and the friendly resort personal make this property a must visit if you own wyndham and a take the time and see if timeshare (wyndham) is a maybe for you!
Please check out the three pools that have Lifeguards on duty! This extra set of eyes on the little ones is worth every penny of owning Grand Desert!
I own in Oceanside Ca and Grand Desert Nevada so i can visit both locations ! I am a happy Wyndham Vacation Resorts Owner!

Room Tip: If you have the points, I would recommend a unit that has a whirlpool and full kitchen in it! The Pr...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank neversettleforless
Reviewed September 30, 2012

There was so much we liked about the Wyndham in Vegas that I wanted to give it 5 stars, but it is just not quite there. We just got back from spending there, using our timeshare swap. Let me get the negatives out of the way - the two bedroom unit is slightly smaller than some of it's counterparts in Vegas, but still plenty of room. Our room was in need of renovation - again, not awful, but the furniture was just starting to look shabby, so hopefully the management will get on that. Water pressure in the showers is awful. I always felt that my hair still had shampoo in it even though I rinsed and rinsed. Towels are definitely on the small side, and the washer/dryer is in the master bedroom, which is just odd. Okay, those were the negatives. All of which I consider relatively minor. Positives - every employee that I came in contact with was super friendly and accommodating. Everything is CLEAN!!! The pool areas are awesome, a total of three. One family and two adults pools (one of which is open 24 hours!!). They all have a hot tub. The chaise lounges were plentiful and comfortable. The entire week we were able to park in the lots in front of the hotel. I know there is underground parking somewhere, but we never had to use it, super convenient for coming and going. And the location is fine, just off the strip, but we had a rental car (and I don't care what anyone says, find a good deal and rent a car - all casinos have self parking and you are free to come and go as you please!) so it was no big deal. I have stayed at 4 different timeshares in the Vegas area, and this is my second favorite behind the Hilton that is right behind the Flamingo (hard to top just for the location alone!). I would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Lisa W
Reviewed September 30, 2012

A bunch of my girlfriend's and I stayed here to celebrate our friend's birthday! She has a timeshare so traded for this spot. What a beautiful, relaxing hotel. Just a couple of blocks off the strip which is nice. There are two pools, one reserved for adults, definitely like that! Nice lounge chairs, yummy bar to get refreshing drinks at the pool. One thing we liked, the bar tender in the lounge made our Bloody Mary drinks to order. Very friendly staff. Hotel provides live music around the pool in the afternoon. Rooms are large and decorated nicely. We had a two room with two bathrooms, kitchen, and small living room. They also have washer & dryers in the master bedroom! Hotel has a small store, cafe and espresso shop! I will definitely return to this hotel!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends