“A Quiet and Relaxing Time”

Wyndham Grand Desert
Ranked #30 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Maryland
“A Quiet and Relaxing Time”
Reviewed September 29, 2011

A friend and I went in August 2010. The place was extremely clean and updated. All the amenities needed were at our feet. We had to call for service if we needed anything. Otherwise they left us alone to enjoy ourselves. The computer room is free. The game room was nice and a calendar full of activities was available in the game room. Shuttle buses free, came all day long starting at 7am to take you different places throughout Las Vegas. I purchased tickets to a show at the front desk. There were times that my hotel door card was deactivated and I had to get another card but no matter how many times I needed assistance, the service was nice. The pool side activities was friendly and the hot tube conversations were an added plus. I can't say enough about it. My friend was glad to come back to the quiet hotel after a noisy time on the Las Vegas strip. Places to eat: Rio, Voodoo, Eiffel Tower restaurant. Places to see: every hotel on the strip has something for your camera to snap. Must go to the Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon! The Lions King was great!
I had a great time and plan on returning with family members.

Room Tip: Near the elavator was convenient.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank AlreadyTakenMd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
  • Finnish first
Maryland
Reviewed September 26, 2011

We just got back from a week at the Wyndham Grand Desert and it was wonderful. The place is beautiful and the shuttle and taxi services were so convenient, we didn't mind being "off strip". The pool areas were quiet and relaxing. A nice change from the busy (sometimes dirty) strip. Everyone we encountered was extremely nice and helpful. The timeshare people didn't even hassle us when we turned down the "opportunity" to attend one of their sessions.
We took advantage of the shuttle to the grocery (which sure saved money based on the prices at the marketplace) and took the 4 hour bus trip to Red Rock Canyon. The driver/guide was exceptional.
I would highly recommend it to my friends and family for future trips.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HagMD
Caro, Michigan
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We drove from Michigan to Las Vegas in July, 2010 for my friends wedding. My dad is actually the one that set up the reservation for my fiance and I. After the LONG car ride, we were more than happy to be in Vegas. Since it was our first time in Vegas, we didn't know what to expect. When we go there the staff was very friendly even with it being rather busy. After getting our room number, we were a little confused about where to go, but eventually we figured it out. I felt like I had hit the jackpot when we walked into the room! We had sort of a strip view from our room, which I loved! I thought that the location was great, we still got the action of Vegas, but without the hassle of the strip. The first day we walked everywhere we went, which, in the middle of July in Vegas, not a good idea. But then we discovered the shuttle that took us to Harrah's on the strip and then we ventured from there. I only have two problems with our stay. One, I didn't really care for the food that was there at the cafe. I tried a few different things and I just wasn't impressed. And secondly, it just wasn't a long enough stay! I would recommend this resort to anyone!!!

Room Tip: I am sure that any of the rooms are wonderful!
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Copiague, New York
Reviewed September 23, 2011

this is a excellent place to stay. the rooms are top of the line beautiful!! pools are great, amenities are amazing. but its not close to anything. The one thing that saves it, they have a free shuttle that goes to harrahs on the strip! id definitely go back anytime!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Big Lake, Minnesota
Reviewed September 19, 2011

The Wyndham was a very nice, quiet hotel. It is near the airport, at the end of the strip. The hotel offers a free shuttle to Harrah's from about 8 am to 10 pm at night. This was a pretty good way to get to the strip. We took a cab back to the hotel at the end of the night.

We stayed in a two bedroom suite (2 BR, 2 BA, kitchen, living room, dining room). Our room overlooked the airport :-( , but we didn't spend much time in our room so it wasn't too bad. The complex was beautiful and well maintained.

They have a family and an adult only pool as well. There is a cafe to get quick meals at and they have a small grocery store where you can get essentials.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TravelCouple26
Burbank, California
Reviewed September 15, 2011

This resort was very large but very nice. The pool and spa areas were especially appealing. If you are going to stay here, be sure to bring a bathing suit. We didn't as we thought the weather would be too hot however, it wasn't as hot and the pools were so inviting. We had a two bedroom suite with a full kitchen and two bathrooms. We were in the main tower and there are two other towers. Beds were comfortable and the rooms we had overlooked the pool (no balconies). The hotel has a shuttle that goes to Harrah's at center strip which is convenient but crowded. The staff was very friendly and accommodating and check-in and out was very efficient. Since it is a timeshare you should expect to be offered the timeshare presentation. The only drawback with this resort for our party is its proximity to the strip and restaurants since you have to drive, take the shuttle or a cab.

Room Tip: We asked for a room by the elevator and we were on the 5th floor in room 571. The room had a great...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
ca
Reviewed September 14, 2011

This was my 1st time to Las Vegas. I decided to stay off the strip in order to take advantage of renting condo type accomodations for the space. It was an excellent decision. Loved the Wyndham Grand Desert. I rented from someone via vrbo.

Two bdrm deluxe - 2 bedrooms, 2 full baths, full kitchen, dining area and living area. This was perfect for our Girls Getaway for 4 adults. It was important to us for everyone to have their own bed as well as stay in one room. There was a king bed, 2 full/queen size beds and the pullout couch. The condo was clean and spacious. We were able to go to our own spaces and have girl time in the living and dining room. The space was fresh and clean. We didn't care about having every day maid service. We're neat and tidy folks so it didn't make as any difference. We called for more towels, coffee and new iron. It was brought to us w/in 20-30 minutes. They always called back to make sure we received the items we requested which was a great touch of customer service. The service at this location was spot on. We didn't have any problems.

The security was great as well. You had to use your room key at all times to get to your floor. In the evenings you could see security walking the grounds to make sure everything was in order. Since we were 4 females traveling this gave us great sense of security.

By choice I attended a timeshare. I never attend these but I thought what the heck. I'm seriously considering purchasing DVC thru Disney World and I wanted something to compare it to and this gave me a solid comparison. It's also a nice product if you're looking to purchase a timeshare. I was there approximately 2 1/2 hours. I had a talker and I seriously was interested in finding out the facts and number crunching. The guy I had talked loud and a mile a minute. That drove me crazy but I did get the information I needed. Had it been a normal sales person the experience would have been more pleasant and it probaly would have only taken 2 hours. Absolutely no pressure when I told him I was not interested. He asked why and I told him i was still leaning towards Disney and we were finished. O and there was not any pressure for me to sign up for the timeshare either. It was my own freewill choice.

The first time on the strip we walked from the resort. That was the 1st and last time we walked. Yes, it's only about a 10 minute walk to the strip but the street, Harmon is a major street and I don't care to walk down major streets - it just doesn't seem safe to me. Walking there was cool but it's the walk back that changed our minds to drive. After a long day of walking on the strip the last thing we wanted to do was walk back to the resort. We soon realized that valet parking at any resort on the strip was free. All you have to do is tip them. After learning this we drove everywhere. We rented a car because we were going to Hoover Dam. So it wasn't any extra expense to use the car.

We enjoyed staying here because it felt like we got away from it all at the end of the day to our quiet little condo. Loved it!!!

They do offer a shuttle service. We did not use it. We do not like to wait for shuttles so we opted out of this service. They give you a slip of paper to use to get on and off the shuttle. The shuttle picks you up at the hotel and delivers you to the Harrah casino. It's located more on the north side of the strip. The shuttle to Harrah's stops at 10pm. At the that time you can catch Rio's shuttle and they will take you back to the strip up until 12:30AM believe.

We decided next time we would stay on the strip, rent two connecting rooms and not rent a car. Grand Desert was fabulous and met our needs but because we understand actually staying on the strip would be more convenient for us we would opt for the strip next time.

Things to consider if you stay at Grand Desert
It is not on the strip.
It is not a hop, skip and jump to the strip.
It is a solid 10 minute walk, down a busy street to the strip.
If you do not like walking, do not like to be shuttled to and fro and do not rent a car you will more than likely not want to stay at this resor.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends