“Fantastic Vegan Food”

Pura Vida
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 24, 2012

My son had me meet him at this restaurant for lunch and it turned out to be a terrific idea! I am not a vegetarian but you don't have to be following a specific diet to simply enjoy really good food. The restaurant is a little place on Western, off the beaten path with very simple decoration and furniture. However, the food was splendid and the serving sizes were very generous. We both had to take home half our lunch entrees. I will be sharing this spot with my friends and family.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

The food and the service were both incredible.

We visited for brunch on Christmas Eve of 2011, and the place was absolutely packed. It's not a large place, so it felt a bit crowded. It took a while for our food to get to us, but while we were waiting, the staff chatted with us and brought around samples to try.

I am vegan and my companion has celiac's (so no gluten whatsoever) -- Chef Mayra came out to talk to us about our special dietary needs and she agreed to concoct a special 5-course, vegan, gluten-free brunch for us. Every dish was excellent and the staff was on hand to bring refills and answer questions. Chef Mayra came out multiple times to make sure we were satisfied. We left absolutely stuffed to the gills. It was a bit pricey, but certainly not out-of-line with my expections. Overall, I'd say it was a good value.

This was 7 months ago and we still talk about it...we call it "the best brunch ever."

Reviewed May 28, 2012

There are many reviews of this restaurant on Yelp that I relate too, I'm surprised there are not more on Tripadvisor.
We wanted to love this restaurant. We chose to go here for lunch on a Sunday instead of going to one of the fancy restaurants at the Wynn that have a vegan menu. We thought it was important to support a small vegan business.
The restaurant is in a seedy location, and the building is not great, but we thought - what the hell, as long as the food is good. Directly we sat down, the chef came over and told us about what seemed like 50 different possible desserts and how great she was at making them . I politely said that we were largely there for a savoury lunch. She said ok but said she would finish telling us about the rest of the waffles/pancakes etc because she was the chef (?).
She then bought us eight samples of iced tea. We didn't really want them, but we didn't want to offend, so we drank them.
We tried to choose what to order. The menu is SOOOO complicated. She really needs to slim down the menu and concentrate on doing a few things WELL. We finally chose and ordered, though the server taking our order said, when I asked, that they didn't have wholewheat bread, even though one of the menu items was a sandwich on wholewheat. I pointed this out and she said she felt stupid. She also kept pronouncing rooibos tea 'roo-ee-bus.' She should maybe learn to pronounce the items on the menu (I didn't point this out!). In one hour 20 mins, all she had bought us was a small salad (just a few leaves thrown on a plate with a minimum of shredded carrot) that my husband and I devoured. LOTS of people who came in after us got served all their food. And, I heard the server apologising to THEM for the delay. We asked the server where our food was, and got two different excuses - the tofu scramble takes a long time to cook, and then that they'd run out of potatoes. She bought us some manky old beans and chips to eat while we were waiting (but didn't apologise), but we didn't want them. We'd ordered a lot of food, and didn't want to fill up on something we didn't want. Eventually, starving and shaking, I walked out. My husband stayed to speak to the chef, who, when asked why the delay, got defensive, and said ' did you tell the server you were in a hurry?.' Um, no-one else had told the server they were in a hurry, and they'd got their food.There was no apology, and we didn't pay for anything. We then drove to the nearest Whole Foods and ate properly.
When we got back to the UK, I read the reviews of this restaurant on Yelp, and so many mirror our experience. In fact, we got away lucky, some people waited 2+ hours before they walked out. In everyone's case it seems there was little to no apology, and the chef just gave excuses and got defensive. Before trying this restaurant, go read reviews on Yelp, then decide. We were on vacation, and the day was kind of ruined because of this. You do not want to shake with hunger on vacation. The chef needs to be in the kitchen more, instead of being outside telling everyone how fab she is, and the menu needs to be edited to be more comprehendable to the customer, and more actionable and sustainable for the chef. They also all need some manners, and humility.

1  Thank beeswaxLondon
Reviewed April 23, 2012

The food is this bakery that bills itself as an organic, vegan restaurant is not that healthy. We went there for breakfast and all of the choices were high gluten, high sugar concoctions. Maybe it is because I am not used to eating that much sugar, but the waffle I ordered was swimming in syrup… I mean swimming. Furthermore it was mushy and very unappealing. My partner had a "short" (hah!) stack of pancakes that were not much better. I also ordered a hot chocolate that should have been billed as a hot sugar drink with too much chocolate in it. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone seeking a truly organic, HEALTHY meal when visiting Las Vegas.

Reviewed April 22, 2012

Great food and service - even though it was a little slow, everything is fresh and made on-site by the chef.

A lot of choice, and worth visiting, even if you're not vegan.

The only thing I thought was not so nice was the setting/decoration of the restaurant but it is still worth going for the food!