“Pleasantly Surprised by the Tuscany Hotel”

Tuscany Suites & Casino
Ranked #41 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
Toledo, Ohio
“Pleasantly Surprised by the Tuscany Hotel”
Reviewed January 17, 2009

We had two free nights at the Tuscany Suites, so we decided to go for our 1yr anniversary. My husband has been to Las Vegas numerous times and had never heard of the Tuscany. I read some reviews here and was a little worried because we normally stay at 4 star hotels or better. But since it was free, we were going to take advantage of it. I have to say that we were both pleasantly surprised!

First of all, the staff was very nice. Every time we arrived at or left the hotel, there was always someone to open the door for us. The people at the front desk were very kind and welcoming. We arrived early, so we paid $11 for early check in. Even though the lobby smelled like smoke due to the nearby bar, it was very clean and not bad looking at all. Once we left the lobby and headed outside to our room, we were surprised at how quite the outside walkways were. In fact, it was serene. It reminded me of a tropical escape.

The room was very large---the largest hotel room I’ve ever seen, and very clean. It was not as fancy as other hotel rooms, but the largeness of the room and the quietness made up for that. As many other people have mentioned, the little kitchen didn’t have silverware but that was no big deal. The bed and pillows were on the firm side, but comfortable enough for us to sleep well.

The TV only has about 7 channels--- news, Steve Wilkos was on a lot, a channel that shows the Marilyn’s Cafe menu, but it didn’t matter because we didn’t sit in the room and watch TV all day. The bathroom was very spacious and there was plenty of room for me to set all my makeup and girly stuff on the sink. There was even a medicine cabinet behind the side wall mirror. There is a separate tub and shower. The tub is not a whirlpool or spa tub---just a regular bath tub, but we just used the shower. It had really good water pressure. When inside the shower, trying to get out, the handle was a little tough, so we just pushed on the glass door instead of using the handle. No big deal. The toilet had it’s own door so I was able to take a shower or use the sink when my husband was using the bathroom. It’s true that when you turn the bathroom lights on, the loud fan also comes on, but if you look at the light switch, there is also a timed light you can turn on. The light is a littler dimmer, but it has no fan. So just use that one. In the bathroom there was a good hair dryer I used every day and in the closet there was a good iron and ironing board. They also have a laundry service and a safe that you can put your own code into.

The toilet paper and tissues were soft, and the towels smelled clean are were of adequate size. Each day we found clean towels nicely folded in the bathroom and the room was tidied up. I have to say how impressed I was at how quiet it was in the room and on the grounds at night and into the early morning.. After a loud and crazy day in Vegas, it was absolutely wonderful to get back to the hotel grounds where I immediately felt relaxed because it was sooooo quiet there!

We ate at Marilyn’s café (open 24 hrs) for lunch two days in a row. It was about the equivalent of Denny’s or IHOP. You have to go through the casino to get to the café, but it is a small casino so a short walk. Even though the café smelled like smoke because of the casino, we sat in the very back and it smelled just fine. They had a huge selection of breakfast, lunch, dinner, desserts, etc. The prices were normal, the service was good, and the food came out in about 10 minutes. The portions were big and both days I couldn’t finish my meal. We ordered the philly cheese steak with hashed browns (you can pick your side---they have a lot to choose from), the grilled cheese with applesauce, the Marilyn’s Sampler which had big mozzarella sticks, chicken fingers, and cheese fries, and the beef French dip with fries. All of it was very tasty.

The pool area was beautiful. There was a large outdoor heated pool and hot tub. There was a high of 60 degrees when we were there and people were still hanging out at the pool. There were lots of chairs, large trees, pool towels, music. It was really nice.

In the hotel, next to the pool there was a little mini café with drinks and snacks. Near that was a little gift shop with all kinds of cute things and next to that there was a concierge service. They even had an area where they sell half priced show tickets. There was a fitness center and a nice Italian restaurant, but we didn’t try those.

I read in some reviews that the walk from the hotel to the strip was long and scary, but I would have to disagree. When you check in, ask to stay near the front of the hotel, close to flamingo street. From the front of the hotel, you just walk 5 minutes down Flamingo directly to Bally’s. It was completely safe. We walked it several times, including at night. I took pictures along the walk so everyone can see it’s short and not scary. Along the walk, there were several nice high rise hotels, normal people walking, and lots of cars driving, so it’s not like anything bad would happen. Once you get to Bally’s you go into the sports book/shops entrance which are the first doors you see (again, only a 5 minute walk from the hotel) and once in there, you can either jump right on the monorail which will take you anywhere for $5 a person (they also have 1 day and 3 day tickets) or walk through the Bally’s shops and the casino and it will put you right on the strip, or instead of walking through the Bally’s casino, walk through Paris which is awesome (shops, restaurants, and the casino) and that will put you on the strip too. It’s all connected so it’s really simple. We mostly walked everywhere we were going except for the nights when we got dressed up for fancy dinners. On those nights, the bellman got us a taxi or nice car quickly.

You have to pay for wireless internet in your room--$10 for 24hrs, but it’s free in the lobby and the pool café. One night when we got back to the Tuscany, there was a live band playing that was pretty good in the bar area and people were dancing and having a good time. On the day we checked out of the Tuscany, we were able to check our bags with the bellman because our flight out of Vegas wasn’t until several hours later. When we came back later to pick them up, the bellman retrieved out luggage from behind locked doors and put them into the taxi for us. The service at the Tuscany front door was very good.

My husband and I were very pleased with the Tuscany suites. Because it was my first time to Vegas, I’d probably like stay at a few hotels on the strip to see what it’s like, but after that I’d probably return to the Tuscany because of how quiet, relaxing, clean, convenient it is and how large the rooms were.

• Liked — The large, quiet room.
  • Disliked — They were painting collumns by the pool when we were there and it was a strong smell.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
8 Thank wildlotus2482

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (736)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Illinois
Reviewed January 12, 2009

We stayed at the Tuscany from Dec. 31 throught Jan. 4th and loved it. Everything was perfect from the great room that was wonderfully clean on arrival and throughout our stay to the very friendly staff. The location is close enough to the strip that you can walk any casino you want to visit. We would recommend the Tuscany to anyone who wants to go to Vegas! We will stay there again and again.

• Liked — It was clean and friendly.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank 1funsize
wisconsin
Reviewed December 31, 2008

The hotel is very nice and the restaurants are great - good food and wonderful service. The rooms are fantastic, but if you are a disabled traveler, these are a few things you should know.

I called the hotel several times to make sure our room was accessible for my son. They assured me we would have an accessible room, with roll in shower and bath chairs are provided. Upon our arrival, the room I reserved was not available. All rooms are accessible as being large with grab bars. However, the grab bars and hand held shower were in th tub, which my son cannot use. They have roll in showers, but there are no grab bars in them and no hand held showers. Also, when I asked for the bath chair they said they had, I was told that they only have one and would see if it was available. They did find one, but it is not very stable so I would suggest bringing your own or renting one. Also, you have to go outside to get to your rooms and some are quite far away from the casino.

So overall, if you are a disabled traveler, I would be very specific about your accomodations before booking a room. In the end, they did accomodate us with a wonderful two bedroom suite with a roll in shower. However, as I stated before, there were no grab bars or hand held shower in it, so we still had to punt.

Even though we had a few problems, I would still highly recommend this hotel, but be very specific about your needs.

• Liked — Decor, restaurants, pleasant helpful staff
  • Disliked — Did not meet our accessibility needs
  • Stayed December 2008
4 Thank daisies17
SCUNTHORPE
Reviewed December 28, 2008

The Tuscany Suites is a very well located hotel on Flamingo Road which is in the centre of the Las Vegas Boulevard South "LAS VEGAS STRIP". Theres a huge crossroads where Ballys, Bellagio, Flamingo and Caesars Palace all meet so the location is very central. Its about a 10 minute walk up to Ballys where you can walk through the hotel and get the monorail up and down the strip. As you walk up the street you might see the odd person who you might think is a down and out tramp and will bother you for money but we didn't have a problem, as you walk down Flamingo Road you can see the shrine left for 2Pac the "music artist" who was shot in 1996 in a drive by shooting - yeah I thought what you are thinking now as well but don't worry.

The hotel has everything you need as its only really a base for anyone who intends to do what everyone else does in Las Vegas which is see the sites. The rooms are huge, you get a massive bed, a private bathroom with a bath and shower which was almost as big as my living room. There is a three piece suite in the room, a kitchen area and a writing table. The hotel rooms are quiet and a split up in to different sections - so imagine ten Travel Lodge size buildings all together. They are well looked after and well serviced. There is a casino (as you would expect), which doesn't close, a Mexican restaurant which is good, a cafe, a pizza take away and a shop. We didn't have much cause to speak to the people behind the desk on Reception but when we did the people were very pleasant and the people on the door were good aswell.

Use the monorail as much as you can - its so cheap and saves lots of walking because the strip is very long, you can buy a day or weekly pass and its well worth the cash, if you get a book of vouchers on the first day which they give away in the hotels you can save a few dollars on the cost. It runs from the MGM up to the other end but not as far as Circus Circus or the Stratosphere Tower, you can walk up there and get a bus from the Stratosphere down to Fremont Street at Downtown Las Vegas for a few dollars. Go at night to experience the light and video shows - you've seen nothing like it!

If you are going eat out then go to the buffets - Ballys was the best we had - $20 for an evening buffet - fantastic!!

You can get all the tickets for shows and trips etc like Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Mama Mia all on the strip and save a lot of cash, we did a helicopter flight for $40 each for 15 minutes at night - worth every penny! We fitted so much into a week and saw all the hotels on strip - its an amazing place....

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank GOOLEYMALC
reno, nevada
Reviewed December 10, 2008

We stayed at the Tuscany for 4 weeks in the same room, I301. It was great! We loved the room. You can see the from the pictures the layout. I'm going to comment on things I read in these reviews from my perspective. Our comments: The pillows, bed was super comfortable (we got a king) - but the sheets are not fitted. While this did not prove a problem to me, as I don't move around much while sleeping, my husband didn't like the sheets pulling out from the foot of the bed. The towels were nice and plush - not the cheapo white stiff variety, but plush. We got plenty of them. The bathroom had 3 lights - only one is connected to the fan - so, come on people, use the other two lights if you don't want the fan on! There is a very bright light over the sink area (which had a medicine cabinet for storage) and also a heat lamp-type light between the tub and shower area. The one thing I didn't like about the shower area is that is had no shelf space for shampoo/conditioner, etc. It only had a soap dish, but no place to store your razor etc. And the bottom was angled toward the drain in the center, so no flat area either. The shampoo was great; the conditioner was not something I could use on my long hair (I've learned to bring my own from home). The toilet paper was 2-ply quilted - so not the cheapee stuff some people complained about. Yes, the TV had 14 channels and three were casino oriented - but it also had CNN, the 4 major networks, TNT movie channel, a Spanish channel, PBS, ESPN, and two others. Not bad.
The kitchen was great. We got a microwave first thing (just ask for one when you check in and it'll be delivered right away), coffeemaker, decent sized frig and two burners. Plenty of cabinet space. But, of course, you have to bring your own dishes, utensils, etc.
Noone in these reviews commented on the fitness center much - I can see why because its rarely used. We used it 20 of 28 days on our trip and rarely saw anyone else in there. It also was great. It's its own separate building and has two areas - the cardio and weights. The cardio area had two treadmills, two or three bikes and one stairstepper. The TV and one stairstepper machine were broken. In the other area, there were three leg machines (curl, press and extension) and 5 other upper body machines plus an ab cruncher machine. In addition, there were two benches and free weights (no bars). Dumbbells started at 5' and went to 50'. Alas, the common weights, the 15', 20' and one 40' were missing. It provided us with great workouts. I took some photos and plan to download them to here, so look for those soon.
There is a lap pool and a regular pool. plus two jacuzzis. Too cool to swim in Nov/dec, but we had 72-77 degree weather, so hung out and read there. Oh, they provide a complimentary USA Today newspaper at the front desk. Just get there before 9:30am, otherwise the supply is gone.
Restaurants were okay. We mainly ate at Marilyns - they have a $3.99 steak and eggs b'fast from 12-5am - and it was massive, but the steaks were marginal. Other food was okay. Nothing great. Ate at the Mex restaurant twice - had these fish tacos which were fabulous. Also a steak burrito that was just okay.
Never ate at the Italian restaurant. Looked rather pricey to me.
The walk - yes, its about a 10 min walk to the Strip. We did it numerous times. One block off the Strip up and down it, you find trash, the low-life, beggars, racks of girlie magazines, etc. So, this area is no exception. So, if you don't mind the hike (bring good shoes) - you get to the real heart of the Strip in 10 min. I just wouldn't do it alone. We had a car - and this was both a plus and minus. You got wheels so can travel, but oftentimes the traffic is so thick and drivers are so crazy, that you could almost walk faster and prefer not to go anywhere because the driving is so hazardous. Vegas is laid out well, but each light takes so long to get thru because you have to wait for each set of turn lanes to go. Anyways, after midnight the roads are good. and better between 9am and 3pm.
If you are into dancing and are of the 40+ crowd or would rather not stand around in a 20+ crowd listening to ear-deafening rap and hiphop or have to buy $400 bottle-service VIP areas, write me and I'll give you some good locations to go.
Overall, we'd definately stay there again. We loved not having to eat out all the time, having our car right outside our door, and having a short walk to our room. Also, you never had to set foot in a smokey casino if you didn't want to. The lobby is outside the casino area.

• Liked — the large room
  • Disliked — distance from Strip
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank maboscel
Columbus, OH
Reviewed December 3, 2008

We recently stayed at Tuscany for 11 nights. We were very comfortable for such a long visit as the rooms is very large and extremely clean. The furniture is dated and the walls and carpets are very dark, but the bed was comfortable. The bathroom is very large with separate tub and shower in one area and a private area with toilet. There were tons of towels and shampoo and soap. The hotel needs to be remodeled, but the price would not have been as reasonable. We paid $422 total for 11 nights!

The casino is pretty bad -- smoky, not many machines. Marilyn's Cafe has consistently good food. We ate there about four times, and each time the food was well made.

The driveways and parking lots are well lit - and the pool was open in November. Most of the pools in other hotels were closed for the season. I used the weight room and it was okay.

The staff was very friendly, and I don't think you can beat the location. I have been to Las Vegas about 15 times in the last six years, and I don't remember ever being in such a convenient location -- if you have a car.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Casino
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sp0rty
Norfolk, VA
Reviewed November 27, 2008

My boyfriend and I decided to go to Vegas for his birthday. We stayed at the Tuscany Suites from June 6th - June 9th. We rented a car at the airport. It was a last minute decision and instead of paying the full rate, I had someone at home reserve a car for us through hotwire, saving us about 65%. Anyhow, the car ended up being a great idea as the hotel is about 3 loooooooong blocks from the strip. When we wanted to go to the strip we would park in the Hurrahs parking lot, its free.
We picked up our rental and after a brief look at the strip, we went to the hotel. We were an hour early, but our room was ready. As far as the hotel in general, it was clean and spacious, yes the funiture needs to be updated and the tv could use more channels but overall, I enjoyed the space. We ate at the hotel everyday, mostly for breakfast, but we did do mexican for lunch one day and the pizza place for a late night snack. The food was really good, make sure you take advantage of the coupons that you are given at check-in. We didn't use the pool so I can comment. The hotel was quiet at night and even though parking is scarce at night, I didn't feel unsafe at any time.
We did enjoy the casino, the day before we left the dealers gave my boyfriend a full lesson step by step on how to play at the craps table. He enjoyed the lesson and now feels comfortable playing. Check-out was easy, yes we had to pay some kind of nominal fee but our room was a comp from Wyndham so I couldn't complain. When I go back I will probably stay again.

• Liked — Available restaurants and good prices
  • Disliked — Distance from the strip
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple