“Excellent Service, Rooms Clean etc”
Review of Desert Rose Resort

Desert Rose Resort
Ranked #38 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 25, 2013

When you arrive they offer quick fast checkin. Concierge available, pool, cocktail hours, not far from strip (walking distance) hooters/mgm grand/tropicana very close. staff knowledgable of everything.

Room Tip: Both times I was here, I got the 1 Bedroom Kind Suite w/ Kitchen.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank edthegreat
Write a ReviewReviews (3,920)

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here because of previous positive Trip Advisor reviews and were not disappointed. The hotel was a perfect place for our family of 5 in Vegas for 2 nights - off the strip, non-gaming, 2BR, 2Bathrooms, pullout sofa, very clean, full kitchen and breakfast! Convenient two blocks from the strip behind MGM Grand. We were in room 4217 which even had a narrow view of the strip from one of the bedrooms :-) Negatives were that there was some noise from above rooms and the breakfast was very crowded. But overall we were very satisfied with the value of this hotel.

1  Thank kkf_9
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Recently my partner and I had relocated to Vegas for work. We were placed at the Desert Rose Resort behind the MGM. I just had to give my feedback. It feels like home. The rooms are clean, quiet and cozy. It far enough away from the chaos of the strip but close enough if you want to feel the action. There is a great heated pool and jacuzzi. The staff is considerate and extremely helpful.

Perks: Breakfast served in common area daily, welcome wine and cheese 4 nights a week, wifi access, pool, bbq area, jacuzzi, fitness center apt style large rooms with balcony, televisions with HBO, laundry, parking and full kitchen with all amenites. Efficient and green housekeeping service and extremely friendly staff and conceirge!!

Cons: Water temprature adjustment in shower takes a minute to get acquainted with. But that's all I can think of!! Isn't that great!?!

Don't have kids but can see how it can totally be kid friendly.

P.S. Engineering accidently broke a cable during routine maintenance of a television but was quick to replace without hassle.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Tarz1977
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Just got back from a 7 night stay at the Desert Rose with my wife and two friends.

This hotel/resort does everything it claims to do. We had a full kitchen including a full size stove with 4 burners and a 'keep warm' area, oven, microwave, full size fridge freezer, sink, kettle, dish washer, food processor and coffee maker. The kitchen also has everything you need such as kitchen towel, full crockery and silverware, glasses (three types), detergent for hand washing and the dishwasher, coffee etc. Heck, the maids even do your dishes if you are too lazy to wash them yourself.

The decor is decidedly brown but this seems common for this type of establishment. The living area is comfy with a 37 inch flat TV, couch, chaise longue, coffee table etc. There is a dining area with a nice table and four chairs and then two bedrooms. One is en-suite with a large bathroom, the second bedroom is slightly smaller and the bathroom is not en-suite (in case someone uses the sofabed in the living area). But the 2nd bathroom had an oversized tub which was a nice feature. Both bedrooms also featured 37 inch flat TV's, nearly new LG models of pretty good quality.

Other facilities include a swimming pool, hot tub, BBQ area, expanded continental breakfast, coffee + fountain drinks in reception, shop in reception area and coin operated laundry - EXTREMELY cheap at $1.25 for a wash and $1 for an hour drying. That will dry a full load even on the setting for colours. They also offer a dry cleaning service.

The rooms are cleaned every day by a team of maids who will even wash your dishes. If there was even a minor fault it was that the lobby coffee was cold at midnight (really, no big deal) and they could do with extending breakfast to 10am on weekdays - presently it finishes at 9am and gets busy towards the end.

Otherwise none of us had any complaints and between us we have stayed at many hotels - some pretty swanky. OK, so swanky this hotel is not...but it is very comfy and has everything you need for a "just off strip" Vegas vacation. Hooters casino (much more civilised than you'd expect) is right next door, and you are a short walk from the MGM Grand.

Free wi-fi worked well though we did have to reconnect our devices every morning. The speed was good enough to upload 50Mb of photos to social networking sites in a couple of minutes. The air conditioning worked really well and is piped to both bedrooms and the living area. There's a nice terrace for warm days where you can sit out - smoking is allowed on the terrace for those who do.

Some reviewers mention thin walls. We didn't find this problem but we could hear people in the room above us apparently stomping around in the mornings.

As I said at the top, the Desert Rose does exactly what it says on the tin, for a fine price.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank absinthe_boy
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed here for a large volleyball tournament. It wasn't my first choice (I oringally booked one of the casino/hotels), but when I heard my DD's team was staying here I was persuaded to change my reservation.

It's a timeshare hotel, so we knew what we were getting in to. We own Marriott, this is not in the same league as Marriott timeshares. If you're looking for a little more space, away from all the hustle and bustle of the casino area then this could be a nice option. The rooms have been described. They are sufficient. If anyone looks close enough, you'll find problems, but we had a good three night stay. WiFi worked great. Our bed was very comfortable. The placed seemed very secure, as I had to use my room card to get anywhere (so it seemed) within the complex. It was only a few minute walk to the MGM too (less to Hooter's) if you wanted casino action (or a bite to eat).

The walls were a little thin. Unfortunately we were on the first floor. The noise from up above was real loud, as was outside noise (people walking by our room and talking). If you want to stock up on grocery's, there are several options nearby (including a Vons, Albertson's and a couple Super Walmarts).

Would I stay here again? Probably not. Was it horrible? No. It was a nice option away from it all. That's how I'd categorize this place. I drove by some of the other non-gaming hotels. I'd pick this over those any day.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
DRRYieldManager, Manager at Desert Rose Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review of your recent stay at Desert Rose Resort Las Vegas. We understand you have a variety of hotel options when visiting Las Vegas and we thank you for choosing to spend a portion of your holiday with us.

We are disappointed to hear that you were unable to sleep due to noise levels in your room caused by guests staying in the suite above you. We strive to provide our guests with excellent customer service and it is clear your experience did not reflect our very high standards. We would be happy to discuss your experience with you directly, should you wish to. Please feel free to contact our Resort Manager, Tom Price to discuss your stay further. We welcome all types of feedback and believe that we can provide a better experience if you would be open to giving us another chance.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Was expecting muuch better considering how many timeshares in vegas are better and cheaper. The rooms were so ugly and outdated. Everything is in orange and brown and the lighting is terrible. I had to sit by the window or a table lamp to read!

The pool area is small,but acceptable. The rooms as well were very clean, although the bathrooms are very small even in the master bedroom and we had troubles with no hot water. Also, the internet is as slow as dial up. Which is bloody terrible because I need to keep in touch for my job.

But my biggest complaint is the paper thin walls. You can hear EVERYTHING through the walls. It's a nightmare trying to sleep. The pillows and blankets aren't very comfortable either. I got maybe an hour of sleep each night.

Overall I'd suggest going somewhere else if you have the chance. THIS PLACE IS A DUMP.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
7  Thank Heather W
DRRYieldManager, Manager at Desert Rose Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent Desert Rose Resort Las Vegas visit. We are very sorry to learn that multiple issues marred your stay and apologize that your room did not meet expectations. Each of the challenges outlined in your review are being addressed, as we take customer feedback seriously. While we are happy to learn that our housekeeping department provided excellent service during your stay, we certainly understand your disappointment in other areas of the experience.

We would like to speak with you directly and see how we can make it right. If you would like to discuss your stay with us further, please contact our Assistant General Manager, Tom Price.

We value your feedback and look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 6 nights in Feb for the IRB 7s Tournament. Logistically, the hotel was a short walk to the strip and the pool/courtyard area (and lack of casino) provided a nice foil to the otherwise glittery feel of Vegas. Also, everyone we encountered at the hotel (front desk, housekeeping, concierge counter...) was absolutely wonderful.

OUR ROOM
We had a 1-bedroom suite in Building 1 and it was clean, decently sized, and a short walk to the lobby/gym/pool/etc. The room felt a bit dated in general, but the furniture and bed was comfortable. The kitchen (electric range/oven, convection microwave, toaster, blender, dishwasher, fridge, garbage disposal) was clean and functional. In the bathroom, the sink area is separate from the bathroom itself and is adjacent to the bedroom. This means that anyone using the bathroom or sink/vanity area has to enter into the bedroom. We had two guests staying with us and this was slightly awkward during the night since we basically had to leave the bedroom door open and the bathroom light on for them to access it. (I did ask the front desk if there were other floorplans for the 1 bdrm suites, but they were all like this...)

GROCERY DELIVERY
Since we were flying out and weren't planning on having a rental car, we used Vons online delivery service to purchase groceries ahead of time. We bought soda, beer, liquor, a case of water (which was free w/ a promotional code) and some snack items. I chose a delivery window after the check-in time but before we arrived (which was ~10pm) and the groceries were waiting for us in the room when we checked in (beer even in the fridge, yay!)

GYM
I only used the gym facility once while we were there but it was adequate. There were two ellipticals, one treadmill, and a recumbent bike as well as a couple pieces of nautilus equipment. They did have some mats and a couple medicine balls too which was a nice touch. There were two tvs and everything seemed in working order although they were out of bleach wipes which would've been nice to have. Again, it wasn't anything special, and I could see it filling up pretty quickly since it's so small, but it was okay...

POOL/BBQ AREA
We did not go in the pool/hot tubs, but they looked clean and the patio area in general was really nice. Many people ate breakfast outside (seating adjacent to the lobby for the continental breakfast) and when it was warm, there were a lot of people enjoying the sun/pool area which really felt a bit like an 'oasis' knowing how close you were to the hubbub of the strip. Having the grills there was really great too--a friend brought steaks to grill one night and everything seemed to work well.

BREAKFAST/HAPPY HOUR
The breakfast consisted of 2 hot items (eggs & sausage, bacon & homefries, biscuits & gravy, etc.) and there was white & wheat bread w/ butter, jam, etc. They also had yogurt, hardboiled eggs (when regular eggs were not one of the hot items) and a cereal station. They had oatmeal, hot chocolate, juice, and coffee as well although the beverage station almost always had a line that didn't seem to move very quickly... I had sliced cheese, salsa, and flour tortillas delivered to us w/ our groceries so each morning, we either had breakfast sandwiches or burritos, depending on the hot items. (Eggs & sausage meant I'd grab some bread, butter, and hot sauce and, back in the room, adding some sliced cheese and using a skillet on our stove meant a delicious grilled cheese-type sandwich. Bacon & homefries meant grabbing some hardboiled eggs and heading back to the room where I chopped everything up, heated it in a skillet, and added some salsa to make burrito filling.) With just a few simple grocery staples, we ate like kings every morning for very little money. We only made it to one of the 'happy hours' in the lobby, but they had a few different bottles of wine and something like Miller Lite on tap. They also had a large basic cheese plate (pepperjack, cheddar, swiss) and crackers. It certainly wasn't anything amazing, but it was free and it was fun to chat with other guests... I took some of the cheese back to the room for general snackage (and use in burrito fillings!) :)

RUGBY TOURNAMENT
Part of choosing this resort was its proximity to the "host" hotels for the IRB 7s tournament. We felt very in-the-loop at this end of the strip and had a short (~20min) walk to catch the stadium shuttle behind the Excalibur. We were also close to many of the after-parties, etc. so the location was pretty great.

BEST
I liked that we didn't have to walk through a mile of casino to get to our room (we got that true 'vacation' feel sitting out by the pool in the sun...) Having basic breakfast included was also great...it wasn't anything amazing, but it was free and more than enough to get us through until lunch each day. We loved having the kitchen as well--it made it easy to enhance our breakfast options, and was MUCH nicer than staying in just a basic hotel room. Additionally, the staff was probably the most friendly and helpful group of people I've ever encountered at a hotel.

WORST
My biggest problem was the bathroom/bedroom layout. I never expected that the one bathroom in the suite would be off of the bedroom. If it were just my husband and I, it wouldn't have been an issue. But part of the reason we chose to stay in a suite at all was because we were going to have two guests for part of our stay and we thought that would be nicer than a regular hotel room. We could have paid for a 2-bdrm suite which apparently has a bathroom off the common area, but that would've been more expensive (so we likely would've stayed at a different hotel anyway.) Other than that (and it really was only a minor inconvenience) I think everything was pretty much as expected during our stay.

Room Tip: I'd avoid a balcony overlooking a parking lot just for the sake of noise/aesthetics... We did g...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends