“Home Away from Home”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Glendale
“Home Away from Home”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My wife and I had the opportunity to stay at the Desert Rose, again, from Jan. 21 to Jan. 25. Nothing has changed. It is still the quiet Mecca within a couple of blocks of the busy strip in south Las Vegas. Customer Service remains beyone reproach. Cleanliness of the suite and facility is superb. Morning breakfast is quite tasty and plentiful. We highly recommend the resort for all ages. We will return!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd floor on the West and South sides will have views of the strip.
3 Thank CDRDAD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (602)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed January 27, 2013

.......I just couldn't. Just too many things that were "off" for a 5. The things that I am going to point out are ticky tacky things that should not make you avoid this place at all, in fact, I have already recommended it to several people. Just couldn't pull the trigger on the 5.
We just got home today. We are not your typical travelers to a Las Vegas resort as we are locals. Our two daughters had a dance competition on the strip at the Flamingo, and we live 40 minutes away from there and we elected to just stay near there rather than drive back and forth 10 times. We could have stayed at the Flamingo, but it would have cost quite a bit more than Desert Rose, and our friends that stayed there were not happy at all, (dirty rooms, no coffee maker, no mini fridge, $13 PER DEVICE for internet, etc) so I know we made the right choice. I read a lot of reviews prior to booking and found a great weekend rate at hotels.com, so we elected to give it a try.
As many reviews stated, the staff was very friendly. Even the maids and grounds crew were very nice. Every time we encountered them they were smiling and said hello. The room itself was very comfortable for the four of us. It is SUCH a difference having the extra space as compared to your typical hotel room with two queens and a bathroom and maybe a chair. There were granite counters, and having a full kitchen alone makes this a great value if you are staying in Vegas for any length of time. We were able to make a couple of meals and save the cost of dining out. I was very happy with the room itself. I requested a top floor room (3rd floor) based on some reviews, so it was perfectly quiet the whole time. Our balcony faced the interior of the building, so we overlooked a little courtyard rather than the parking lot and had no noise issues. If you end up on the end of the complex by Reno St. I can see how you could get some traffic noise as the balconies are just off the street and it is pretty busy, but we were on the other side closest to Hooters. We were in room 4318, and if I were to go back again, I would request that exact same room. (one bedroom)

As for ALL of the complaints about the breakfast and its quality and the seating..... I went in anticipating a 10x10 room with 3 tables. It is actually a pretty large area. There are 8 tables for four, one table for two, and 7 barstools at a bar. So, that is seating for 41. In addition, there are little couches and chairs around that you could use, but it wouldn't be as comfortable as the tables. We got there right when they opened at 7 each morning as we had to leave at 7:15 to get to the competition anyway, and we had no problems at all with seating. (it opens at 6 on weekdays) So, I guess if you want to avoid that problem, get there early and there isn't one. As for quality, it is what it is. First, it is FREE! There were people in line complaining, and I just felt like telling them to go to one of 50 restaurants within walking distance for breakfast and pay who knows how much per person. Is it amazing hot food? No. But even if you didn't want the hot food (we had waffles and sausage on Saturday and eggs and biscuits and gravy on Sunday) there was fruit, four choices of cold cereal, yogurt, breads and jelly, etc., and you can't mess those things up. They also serve Starbucks coffee, and have hot chocolate as well. There are also fountain drinks and juices available. Not amazing, but for a family of four, a great, inexpensive way to get a base going for the day.

My "complaints". First, I brought my swimming suit and wanted to use the jacuzzi. Well, BOTH of them were under repair. You would think that if you have TWO jacuzzis, you would remodel one and leave the other open for your guests. Nope. They had both completely torn up. No jacuzzi for me. They did tell me that they had a deal worked out with Hooters so that you could use their facilities, but who wants to walk/drive to jump in a jacuzzi and then walk/drive home? At least they tried I guess, but I can't imagine that a whole lot of people actually walk a couple of blocks for a jacuzzi when the temps are in the 40's (or lower) at night. The digital tv was not working. I was able to still get several analog channels and we were able to watch tv, but the majority of them were not functional. I called down, and they stated that they were working on the system this weekend and that it would be up Sunday morning. I checked out at noon, and they were still not working. The elevators are old. Our elevator shut on us every time before the four of us could even get in. The fourth person would have the door hit them. Broken lamps on lights, and numbers worn off. They have a nice little bulletin board outside the elevators with a list of events and helpful info. A great idea, but the calendar for the events was a December calendar, and I stayed January 25th and 26th. Easy fix. There is one ice machine per building, and the one in building 4 was not functional. We had to walk to the next building to get any ice. Many of the time shares that I have stayed in have an ice maker in the fridge. That would eliminate this problem. The workout room looked better in the photos than it actually is. Mirrors are amazing at enlarging a room. There is only 1 treadmill, and a couple of step machines and a weight system. Better than nothing, and it was very clean, but I brought my workout clothes as I like to walk on the treadmill and jacuzzi, but I didn't want to risk having someone on the only treadmill, and there was no jacuzzi.

Overall, if you can get a good rate on this place, do it. It is an absolutely great value for a family, and the rooms themselves are very roomy and very nice. MUCH nicer than your typical hotel room as far as space and, again, just having the kitchen there can save you a ton of money. (by the way, all utensils, pots, pans, plates, glasses etc are included) If you don't mind not having a casino down the hall, it is a perfect home base for a Vegas vacation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank govikesBABY
Perth
Reviewed January 26, 2013

As a family of five staying in Vegas we required a non casino, non smoking hotel. We had a very pleasant stay here. All the staff were exceptionally helpful. Breakfast was well done, esp compared to many we had in the US. The walk to the strip is very manageable, our youngest was 6 and she managed just fine. Tip for families. If you are more than 2 people it is cheaper to cab so ignore the over priced monorail. The concierge will always call a cab, but if you are in a rush, walk 2 min up the road to Hooters where there is always a line of cabs.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank eyes1976
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed here as we did not want to stay on the strip with young children. The rooms were clean, tidy & attended to daily. The location was one street from the strip & Lisa the concierge was just gorgeous helping us with our trip to the canyon, directions to the supermarket & taxi assistance ! Would definitely recommend to families as the pool was great for entertaining the kids. Definitely stay again

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank christine e
Newport, OR
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My partner and I recently stayed here for 5 nights having chosen this resort based upon the reviews here. The room was clean and fine for the two of us. However, the room which had the tub and toilet in it was really really small.
Bed was comfortable while the sleeper sofa for sitting and watching TV wasn't. The drapes hardly blocked out the outside lights at night, so the bedroom was a lot lighter than I like. Also, on 3 nights the noise level from other rooms and outside was quite loud. You also could hear the people staying in the condo above us moving around and using the bathroom. On 3 days upon returning to our room after 4pm from being out since 9:30 we had to call housekeeping to come make it up as it hadn't been done. On one occasion whoever answered the housekeeping phone informed me that she thought that all the housekeepers had gone home but she would check and if one was still there she would send her up, which she did.
The breakfast was nothing special, on several mornings had funny tasting scrambled eggs with another hot item. Either an orange, apple or banana was offered each morning as the fresh fruit.
As my partner's flight was later than mine we inquired at the concierge desk about a shuttle van to the airport and were informed that yes they come to the resort but most people make their own reservations. When asked if she could do this, we were again informed most people prefer to make their own reservations, which we did as we would certainly have stopped her from having her conversation with the front desk staff across the lobby.
Now for the price we paid, $57 a night, it wasn't bad for Vegas but it could have been better.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the pool area and it's bright lights and on the top floor.
3 Thank ortravelers
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in early January. We found the staff very welcoming and helpful and the suite we had booked was great - two separate bedrooms with a large living room, well equipped and modern kitchen, and two bathrooms. We have three children ranging in age from 18 to 8 so this meant all could get a bit of space from each other. Refreshingly the second bedroom had two beds not one and so our two girls were able to have their own beds - most hotels only offer one king or queen bed in the second bedroom of a suite and they'd shared most of the time on our trip. It was a short walk to The Strip and when we needed to relax, the pool was very appealing and clean. Breakfast was fine - we all found something to our taste even our fussy 8 year old. As extra 'pluses' there was plenty of parking and this was one of the quietest hotels we stayed in. Beds were very comfortable. We thought the cost was very reasonable for what we got and would stay here again without hesitation.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Gillian114
Newmarket, Ontario
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is our second time at Desert Rose. The resort is very clean, quiet and has an excellent compliment of pleasant accommodating staff. We were offered show tickets at a reduced rate if we took part in the timeshare presentation. I asked how high pressure this presentation was and was told not at all, they just want to show people what is available so they can "spread the word" about Shell Vacations. Then came the form with requirements of combined income, of which we did not qualify, so much for show tickets. My question, if they only want to make known about the resort then why do they need to know our income??? This sales pitch is new since our last stay, prior to this they had a wonderful concierge named Carrie who helped people to no end with tours and info. Really missed her this time. The only other complaint is what can only be described as confusion when it comes to the breakfast area. This area is not large enough if the resort is full. By the time you manage to get your food and find/wait for a place to sit your meal is cold. We endured this for the first three days then opted to buy some eggs and bread and fix our own meal in our suite. Much quieter and at least the eggs and toast were hot.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper pick a top floor unit. You can here people walking overhead, shower runni...
3 Thank Blitzen467