“Authentic Old School Casino”

Casino at the El Cortez Hotel
and up
The Pop Culture Walking Tour of Fremont Street
Ranked #131 of 464 things to do in Las Vegas
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Visited the El Cortez casino several times during a recent stay downtown. it's a nice break from the obnoxious booming bass music played at many downtown casinos. The casino looks authentically old style, which may not appear to all. I found the dealers and staff to be friendly, however the drink service was painfully slow. Plenty of low minimum tables and 3-2 blackjack is the standard. The place has a distinctive smell to it that is unique. It is like a cheap aftershave. After several visits I think I could identify the place blindfolded! The Elvis show in the casino bar was pretty good and the karaoke was an interesting mix of various degrees of talent. If you are just here to gamble, the rules and low minimums make it a great choice. The Cafe Cortez lunch was reasonably priced, but nothing to rave about.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I had more fun playing on the slots in this casino then on the strip. I did not win but i was able to play alot longer because the machine gave me some bonuses and I had fun. I never go to Vegas to expect to win money but I love to have fun and be able to play awhile. The casinos on the strip seem to have "money eaters" instead of slot machines. Stop by here for a good time. I played the Tarzan and Aladdin video machines and they were fun.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Not the best of areas. Didn't like the casino,and I heard some residents saying their rooms were pretty grotty.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

El Cortez lived up to the recomendation in American Casino. The card dealers were very helpful and helped my husband and I understand how to play blackjack. We won on the slots and really enjoyed playing at this casino. You will have to walk a little past Freemont Street, but it is definatly worth the trip! We won't go back to the strip, but will play at the Et Cortez and Golden Nugget or other downtown casino's next trip to Vegas. We found the Viva in Viva Las Vegas!
Loved the Mob Museum too!

Reviewed December 9, 2012

I reviewed this casino back in 2009 and we actually stayed at the El Cortez in December 2012. We also came over the summer and gambled to our hearts' content at this casino. The blackjack dealers are still new for the most part, but much friendler than what we ran into in 2009. It seems that good customer service is getting to be another thing you can bet on at the El Cortez.

If you like low pressure gambling, this is the best place in Vegas. The $3 double deck blackjack is available from noon through 4:00 a.m. The table stays pretty crowded and only six players at a time can be accomodated. The automatic shuffler keeps play moving very quickly. You can play for hours on a $50.00 buy in.

The $1.00 minimum roulette bet is awesome too and lets you play 25 cent chips. Again, you can pass a lot of time with a little money. The live keno is a lot of fun and starts at 40 cents per game with drawings every 3 to 5 minutes. We lost money on keno this time, but won $1,000.00 on a 65 cent play back in June. It is fun to see a live drawing instead of a computerized draw.

The comps are fairly generous. We spent about $500.00 and earned around $30 in comps, which apid for a couple of meals. The slots are by no means generous, but they almost all let us lose slow. We never had to wonder if the slot machine was broken like some on the strip. Even if the slots got the better of us, it was fun to play for an hour or two on $20.00.

The place is old timey, but clean and well organized. The workers are older and the dress is more conservative. Other casinos draw you in with lots of cleavage and young, attractive dealers. The El Cortez draws you in with great odds. Their is nothing sexy about the El Cortez and the clientele shows it. We are middle aged and like wear shorts and t-shirts to gamble. While we may be frowned upon on the strip, we are the average guests, if not a little younger than most, at the El Cortez. For those who enjoy gambling and are not looking to impress anyone, the El Cortez is for you,

My wife and I gambled about 48 hours here on our trip and did not lose much. It is perfect for what we like to do. Drink service is very good. We wish we could have gotten a Diet Coke, but Pepsi seems to rule Vegas. The El Cortez is a little bit off the main Fremont Street Experience. There are two blocks you have to walk through that are not as well traveled and not as well lit to get there. We were glad we stayed at the El Cortez this time so we did not need to worry about walking back to the main area at night.

2  Thank TexasLover