“Straight people aren't supposed to be this funny”

Mike Hammer - Comedy & Magic Show
Book on TripAdvisor
More Info
$24.49*
and up
Mike Hammer Comedy Magic Show
Ranked #16 of 222 Concerts & Shows in Las Vegas
More attraction details
Owner description: As featured on Penn & Teller: Fool Us, A&E TV "I haven't laughed that much in a year" Robin Leach "You may have seen other magicians, but Hammer gives it the extra dimension."LAS VEGAS REVIEW JOURNAL. When Hammer hits the stage you know you're in for a ride. He is a master of cutting wit and non-stop improvisation--every show an original. Hammer's rapid-fire performance includes an awesome display of mind reading, the swallowing of double-edged razor blades, and whatever else just happens to happen. Every show is loaded with 100% audience participation. Nobody is safe.The show runs about 70 minutes. Recommended age 13+
Las Cruces
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Straight people aren't supposed to be this funny”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I'm a college student who spent my New Year's break in Phoenix with my cousin. We decided to go to Vegas on New Year's Day. We used the American Casino's Guide 2013 to get 2 tickets for a very inexpensive $20 (compared to the other Vegas shows) with no fee nor tax. I also got the coupon of $15 for the $25 VIP ticket (ask for it at the front desk or the box office), which I tried to stack with the 2-for-1 offer but of course was turned down (worth a shot though).

We waited in line for about 20 minutes, primarily because there was an usher who led each person/group to their seats; I guess audience placement is important for this kind of thing. We atched some America's Funniest Home Videos while we waited for Mike to begin the show.

All in all, this was a $20 very well spent, since there was no moment in the show when it stopped being entertaining. You can rest assured that Mike made fun of every single audience participants, but they were all in good fun. He (cheekily) hit on the women who joined him on stage, but it remained kid-friendly since I doubt they caught on it.

It helped that he was VERY quick-witted, and sarcastic, and catty in the best way. At the beginning I thought some of the audience members were plants because his off-the-cuff quips about them seemed so effortless -- just to name a few: he made fun of a guy's age, the dress a girl wore, and even the exotic names of some of the audience members, all delivered in lines that were original, and brilliant, and in good fun. However, when I was called to participate, all that doubt disappeared as he made fun of me with rapid-fire jokes, and I was so nervous that the only thing that I could remember was his "tall Asian" comment and the way he made fun of me saying my name: "err Kyle" (get it?).

I would say that I would believe Mike to be a *fabulous* gay guy if not for the fact that he hit on the women (if that was for show, I'd never know). Honestly, I never thought straight people (much less a straight guy) could be this funny, sarcastic, and wonderfully catty until I saw this show. I doubt that I will visit Vegas any time soon -- no other place could be as headache-inducing as this place -- but I will definitely pay to go to the show again if I had the chance. Perhaps Mike should do a college tour in the future (hint hint).

There was a bar near the stage, and the show ran for an hour and 15 minutes. We originally planned to go to the Riviera for the free comedy show (thanks to the American Casino's Guide coupon) but Mike's show easily exceeded the "comedy quota" for the night, we went to a nearby casino for a $20 buffet, which was horrendous, and explains why I forgot the name of it.

Visited January 2013
3 Thank Kyle N
MikeHammerLasVegas, Owner at Mike Hammer - Comedy & Magic Show, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Kyle, your title is very funny, so therefore you must be.. never mind.
I do remember who you are because I remember picking on you. If my memory serves correct, you were sitting second table back along the aisle.

What an amazingly written piece this review has become... that sounded very much like Shakespeare.

I do hit on the women in my show as an act, but I AM straight. If you notice, some of the women have boyfriends or husbands and I would never really hit on someone who is attached. But it palys well for some of the bits in the show.

I cannot than you enough for such an interesting read.
Thank you thank you thank you.. ok, maybe that is enough.

Atlanta, Georgia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“great comedy and magic in downtown Las Vegas”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I love comedy and am dazzled by magic, so Mike Hammer was a perfect show for me. He was funny and he used his audience well, but he didn’t cross that fine line between toying with people and being mean. His magic relied heavily on uncanny mind reading – extremely well done, very impressive. He did a trick that Criss Angel did at the Luxor the night before, just as well, just as fascinating. This is an act to watch and is definitely not to be missed in Las Vegas. It is an incredible value ($35 and a drink ticket when purchased in advance). The show was early (7:00 p.m.) so you can stay and play downtown, a world unto its own.

2 Thank raffertysq
MikeHammerLasVegas, Owner at Mike Hammer - Comedy & Magic Show, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Paula, I am glad I was a great show for you and that you found your way to downtown.
It's a great place to visit for those that want to take a small trip away from the strip.

Thank you for the great review!
Calgary, Canada
“Good times had by all!”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

A great night to celebrate a birthday, Mike is a great host. Too many laughs and chuckles to count but for sure the whole audience was intently engaged or called on to be a willing victim!
Mike's mix of comedy and magic makes for a show that is great fun, affordable and worth going downtown for...dont be convinced to stay up on the Boulevard for all your entertainment!
Next time in Vegas count on us to be back for the show, and dinner downstairs at Hugo's is a great follow-up. Good Show, Good Food, Good Friends...don't be shy get hammer'd with Mike :-)

Visited November 2012
MikeHammerLasVegas, Owner at Mike Hammer - Comedy & Magic Show, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Of course you loved it.. you're Canadian. Canadians have a great sense of humor and I am glad you made it down to my show. I hope you do come back.. anytime.

Thank you for the GREAT words and visiting the show!
Arizona
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Mike Hammer Comedy Magic at the 4 Queens”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Pros: This 90-minute show is affordable by Vegas standards ($16 including a drink ticket.) Mike is very clever, thinking on his feet fast and interacting with the audience throughout the show. Every show is different, because there is so much audience participation. Everyone was laughing out loud. The room is small, so every seat has a good view. Downtown is friendly and easier to navigate than the Strip mega-hotels. I recommend it for a good time, especially for groups. I loved his wicked sense of humor!

Cons: The first and longest trick, eating razor blades, was the low point of the show. (After that we warmed up a lot.) Mike showed poor taste 3 times in the show: 1) He got a college student up on stage. “Where are you from? (Germany) Oh well, I hope you know the war is over!” 2) Asked a man, who was 6'6” tall, to, “Stand up, so everyone can see you. My god! You look like Frankenstein, where do you hide the bolts?” 3) To an Asian man who spoke broken English: “I speak Chinese, you know: Howa chii wa yoo chu yaii!”
The general admission tickets say “maitre d' seating.” The night I went, the lone usher was literally running back and forth. The line was slow. Come early.
This show may not be appropriate for children <15 (sexual innuendo and rude language.)

Visited December 2012
MikeHammerLasVegas, Owner at Mike Hammer - Comedy & Magic Show, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Hello AZJOHN,
I will extend a big thanks for your Pros and I think you have defined the cons fairly well. We had our work cut out for us this week as the room had been rearranged a bit for a private event the casino was holding on NYE.. that would explain our seating crunch.

I am glad you were part of a fun crowd that evening and thank you for your post!
Perth, Western Australia
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Fab show in downtown Vegas, lots of fun!”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We had a great night at Mike's show, loved every minute of it for our first comedy magic show in Vegas. Our party of eight, four adults and four kids aged 6 to 11 bought VIP tickets and had to sit in two different tables, as we didn't join the queue for the unallocated tickets quite early enough. VIP tix were about $35, which meant we sat right at the front and got a drink voucher. The venue is intimate and old fashioned charm, seats a few hundred people, so lots of opportunity for audience participation.

Mike's routine has audience members on stage or participating in some way for every act, and we were amazed by some of the tricks, so had to buy the DVD at the end for $10, so I hope we work it out!

A huge hit with our kids, who all got to participate ,we loved every minute. If you are after a good, funny, witty and clean show for all ages, no swearing, then go and see Mike!

Visited December 2012
Wow.. of course I remember you awesome people from Australia.
I am glad we snuck in your kids in our recommended 13 and up age group. :)
They certainly were adorable.

I appreciate all the kind words and am very glad you visited the show.
I think I need to hire you as my publicist.
Thank you!
-Hammer

Been to Mike Hammer - Comedy & Magic Show? Share your experiences!