“Lovely facility, but not a spa, it's a high-end health club.”

Canyon Ranch SpaClub - Las Vegas
Ranked #1 of 137 Spas & Wellness in Las Vegas
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The state-of-the-art Canyon Ranch SpaClub facilities include massage, skin care and body treatment rooms, two fitness centers, a 40-foot indoor rock-climbing wall, movement therapy and Pilates studio, cycling gym, Kinesis studio, men and women locker rooms, relaxation lounges, two restaurants, beauty salon, bridal suite, barber suite, co-ed relaxations spaces and Aquavana(R) - a European-inspired aquathermal oasis. Canyon Ranch SpaClub emcompasses 134,000 square feet and is located in The Venetian and The Palazzo Resorts in Las Vegas.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access
Seattle
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Lovely facility, but not a spa, it's a high-end health club.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2009

I just spent a day at the Canyon Ranch SpaClub in Vegas. Canyon Ranch SpaClub is not a typical spa, it's a high end health club similar to the one where I am a member. It is a nice facility with easily over 200 lockers in the women's area and 80 plus treatment rooms (that should give you an idea of how many people are using this place) Also, if you use the workout facilities, you can use the spa areas as well...for a fee. I have been to many high end spas and my basic expectation of a spa is a serene environment for total relaxation, as well as talented professionals.

I arrived early to use the Aquavanna area prior to my treatments. There were so many women in the sauna, steam rooms, ice room and herbal room, people in the whirlpool and on the heated lounges (there are a total of 6), that I passed and decided to try them out after my treatments. I was disappointed, but had brought a book to read and relax, so I went to the lounge area. This is NOT a relaxation area, as it's called, because there were so many women talking it was unbelievable. There are 6 chaise - 3 on each side - and 3 double circular chaises in the back. All but one chaise was full when I got into this room about 40 minutes before my treatment. There are also a few sofas and chairs, but these too filled quickly with chatty ladies. All of the treatments begin on the hour and they come out yelling the name of the next guest. This goes on for about 10 minutes.

I was escorted to my first treatment, a massage, by Jolene. She has been there about 10 years and has been practicing for about 17 years. She was GREAT and very much a professional! After my massage, Jolene escorted me to the retail store and showed me a few of her favorite products. I asked her where I needed to go for my facial and she led me to another room (co-ed) with chairs and another noisy place to wait.

Tammy came and got me for my facial. She also seemed good, but I still have a sore spot on my face where she was a little too rough. Once my facial was complete, my skin felt rehydrated, and Tammy led me to the retail store, where she proceeded to try and sell me over $600 worth of product. I found myself at the register with an armful of items and promptly came to my senses and said thanks, but no thanks. The cashier seemed a little too concerned about who had been helping me, so I assume the spa professionals receive some type of commission for the products sold to their client.

I was left to head back to the women's locker room alone. I went back to the lounge and found the same situation of too many people, but decided to try everything out so I could review it. The heated lounge chairs in the Aquavanna are a nice touch, but they are molded and not super comfortable,but fun to try out. The steam room and sauna are typical and nothing really special. The ice room was a treat as was the herbal room. The showers were stocked with towels and shampoo, cond & wash, razors. The styling area has everything you need. Many women wore swimsuits and wrapped with towels, but it is a clothing optional area. There are places to get your own water, but I am used to spas that have someone bring me tea or water, etc. This service won't happen at Canyon Ranch Spa.

Get a massage from Jolene if you go. I personally won't be returning.

2 Thank Bjuled

new york
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“i felt like i was i was a piece of meat passed around to go onto the hotplate”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2009

It was the Labor's Day weekend. perhaps it was the worst time of the year to be going to anywhere, especially a spa. i've never seen a spa so packed before. the sauna/utilities room were so packed (3-6 people per utility) that one felt unhygienic to be sharing the space with so many people, let alone relax. Every seat in the spa waiting room was taken (there must be 50 people in the first waiting room). then you're brought to a second waiting room (5 people)....it started feel worse than a dental's appointment. then you're led through a long (5 mins) walking passage to get to your room.

the massage itself was so-so. they cut short on the time and the techniques were non-existent. the adjective i can use for this experience was: traumatized.

1 Thank booyaBooya b
Springfield, VA
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“LOVED Canyon Ranch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2009

I don't know WHAT people are talking about--this was one of the nicest spas I have ever been to (and I have been to a lot of spas). Yes, it's big and the hallways can be sterile (it's a hallway). And it may be tough to find from Venetian but we were staying at Palazzo, so I can't speak to that--it is super easy to find from that side. But every person I met there went out of their way to be helpful and I didn't find any issue with noise. And yes, it's expensive. I could have had 2 massages at home for what I spent there, and I would book this massage again and again every single time.

My husband and I signed up for separate massages (which were great) and then spent a couple hours just enjoying the single sex water elements of Aquavana. You can try all different types of experiences with water--sauna, steam room, igloo (think COLD), experiential rains (trying to figure out how to install that one in my own bathroom, it was so incredible), salt grotto--it was so incredibly relaxing I could have spent hours there. They had drinks and fruit available and I saw several people just camped out in the super plush chairs reading or sleeping.

GO. Seriously, it was incredible.

2 Thank Danspeanut
Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Worst spa ever!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2009

The entrance to the spa was hard to find. There are no signs or directions whatsoever. When we finally found it, we stood in line for 20 mins only to be eventually directed down a very long walkway to check in to the spa. Its like a mile of walking just to get to the spa. Then we spent another 25 mins or so checking in. Despite the line, there is only one person working at the check-in desk at that time. What a waste of time! My friends and I was thinking to use the gym before our massages only to be told we had to pay extra for the gym. At the end of the day, we thought that the services we had were not even worth the price we paid for. What a disappointment! I rather spend my money some where else!

2 Thank gkaufman
Ventura, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“A Stupendous Experience In Hedonism”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2009

The whole point of my visit to the spa was to introduce a friend to some badly needed self-indulgence. He is practically allergic to the idea of hedonism, and my goal was to demonstrate that pleasure for pleasure's sake is a good and necessary idea once in a while. Of course, a well-planned trip to Vegas (he'd never been) is a good start. I was prepared to pay handsomely for the right experience.

After careful research here at TA, I chose Canyon Ranch Spa for its offerings for couples. It sounded as if they had the best options for two. I booked a couples massage followed by the Rasul thingy (chamber? experience? session?). I can only report on that aspect, not the gym or cafe or much of the single-sex sides. We had full run of the place if we wanted it, the separate men and women's sides, but we wanted as much togetherness as possible.

In that respect, my expectations were exceeded. First, after check in and separate relaxation, we were brought together in the treatment area. Two very skilled masseuses (female) pounded and pulled our stresses away, side by side, in a dim rather featureless room for 50 minutes, adjusting their technique to our individual needs. I could take more pressure and intensity, and when I told this to Jen, she dug in deliciously. My friend has a tender spot from a back injury, and his masseuse handled it expertly, and, he reported later, spent a lot of time working with lymphatic drainage. This is a super technique for someone deeply stressed, as he was. Somehow, she knew this through her hands. In addition, both were friendly, professional but non-intrusive, allowing us to silently heal to the subtle music.

The music is standard spa ambient, and you either like it or you don't. I do.

Limp as noodles, we were handed off to a personable man to guide us through the Rasul. I thought it would be a glorified mud bath, and it is, in a way, but beautifully packaged. The man told us that this is the ceremony that the Maharajas performed every time they took a new wife. Now that sounds like marketing blarney to me, but whatever.

We went to a perhaps 10x10 room, fairly plain, with a bench and a table of creams and towels, dimly lighted, a candlelight ambience. At one end is a giant shower-type stall with beautiful mosaic work and two porcelain cast chairs, thrones, really, facing each other. At the side of each seat were hung hand-held shower nozzles. Inset, rather like a cup holder, in one arm of each seat, was a constant bubbly stream of very warm water. We were shown a line-up of different colored creams and clays. (My friend is a potter and recognized them as standard variation on potting or tile making clays.) One is an obscenely rich cream for the face, and the others were for chest and belly, for arms, back and glutes, legs and feet. He was nice enough to explain that there really were no rules, except that only the cream should go on the face. Some were super slippy, others had a little grit. For exfoliation, a separate dish held sea salt.

Our "guide" discreetly set up a folding screen in front of the glass door and, once seated (minus robes, of course), the light went out and the domed ceiling sparked with a twinkling star effect. A mild steam began in the near darkness.

Now, this could be incredibly silly and giggly. But if you're in the right romantic frame of mind, it can be silent and nearly tantric. I will only say we found it incredibly bonding and spiritual as well as utterly pleasurable and fun. I can't tell you how long it lasted, but at a certain point, dotted head to toe in multiple colors, we were glad for the hand-held showers, and with perfect timing, just as we were blindly trying to get the last of the goo off, a rainstorm came down from the entire ceiling. It would have been totally perfect if the bright light had not suddenly switched on at the same time. The only flaw in the ceremony was the suddeness of the finale. I think they should slowly raise the light, as well as start the water as a gentle, escalating sprinkle.

Then we had about 5 minutes to finish rinsing, drying, and to come out and moisturize with the creams if we wanted to. We stayed to chat with the guy and it was interesting to hear how the ceremony had evolved and changed since it was first introduced.

We were offered the coed area afterwards. There is a hot salt steam room, and I felt salty and steamy enough, or a cool "wave" relaxation room. We went for the latter -- a kind of psychedelic water visual on the ceiling that reacts to the music (yes, the same ambient stuff) in another otherwise featureless round room with incredibly comfy recliners. It was okay, and good enough to simply recover in.

We did not do any of the other, non-couples features, so I can't speak to them, but I thought the women's dressing room, showers, and ample counters for hair drying or whatever were nicely appointed, clean, and comfortable. Luxurious without being ostentatious, neither hospital nor bordello.

I also greatly enjoyed the women's relaxation room (and I heard good reviews from my friend for the men's side of things). I don't understand the bad reviews of these areas. The only noise was when the guest's names were called for treatment, which seems necessary to the process, unless you're wearing a pager. I nearly dropped off to sleep during the half hour I waited. The services were offered on time, I just wanted to scope things out a little, so we were quite early.

The technicians and assistants were uniformly polite and professional. Again, I don't know why others report bad experiences in that respect unless they come in with an attitude.

I witnessed one woman in passing who seemed to be having a total meltdown in a hallway, screaming, "THAT"S JUST RUDE!" to a silent attendant who was not responding to provocation. You'll forgive me, but she looked remarkably like one of the Beverly Hills spoiled bad-girl sisters featured on a current reality show. She was wearing a tiny bikini over a much enhanced body outside the spray tan booth and repeatedly mentioned how much money she had spent that day. For some reason, I felt little sympathy.

Now, the spa itself is not perfect. I mentioned the small flaws with the Rasul, but it really was stupendous, otherwise. The number one complaint with the spa is its physical plant. It is impossible to find. Signage from the Venetian casino is nonexistent. (When we left, we figured out there was a much more direct elevator to the Pallazo, and I wish I had been told that when I made my reservation). We walked miles of hallways to get to the entrance, and miles after that, though at least there was some interesting art and stone work along the way after the entrance.

We were told it was the biggest spa in the (world or country or something) and that's not a selling point to me. The treatment area was a labyrinth of identical plain halls and minimalist rooms. Some of the art and other features of the entrance would have been welcome here. While the treatments are luxurious, this part of the setting is brutally plain. I felt lost and disoriented, and glad for the constant attendance of a guide in that area. The coed area really didn't offer much, though the coed common room was as tasteful and comfortable as the single-sex relaxation room, just bigger. Bigger is not better in any way. I would have preferred a more intimate and easily negotiable location to find and get around.

A very minor complaint is that the robe pockets are sewn shut. I would have liked to offer gratuities to our various helpers personally, but that wasn't possible. (It does deter you from any temptation to steal the robe.)

Finally, I did have one bad experience with noise. The whole point of the "wave" room is the silence except for the ambient music for relaxation. A dog's barking was audible, a yappy loud bark, about every 10-30 seconds. At first I thought it might be some irritating experiment with the ambient music, but then I realized it was coming from next door or above. At these prices, they can afford effective soundproofing. I mentioned it, in a nice, non-confrontational way, to the main desk, and they did admit that they were working on the sound leaks from other areas. There was no kennel club nearby, so I can't explain it.

But these were really minor points. I really debated removing one star from my review because of them, but I finally did. In crass terms, I felt I got my bang for the buck. I I spent over $500 (before tips) and both my friend and I were relaxed, happy, pampered and glowing.

And by the way, my friend is now a convert to occasional self-indulgences! Right now, he's trying to figure out how to work some hedonism into our next trip to surprise me with! He's talking Pompeii, which may have a little more volcanic ash in the mud baths, you think?

7 Thank fragileindustries