“Thank goodness the room was comped!!”

Palms Casino Resort
Ranked #71 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed July 13, 2010

I was emailed a 2-night "comped" offer and thought I'd give the hotel a try. I also spent 2-nights "comped" at the Luxor during this trip.

I depend heavily on the reviews on this website and knew that I wanted to stay in the Fantasy Tower if at all possible. When I asked for a free upgrade the counter person said they couldn't because the hotel was booked full, but that I could get an upgrade for $20 extra per night. "Wait a minute, I thought she said the hotel was booked full"??

I refused to pay for the upgrade and went to check out my Deluxe Tower room. The room was very tired looking!! I would compare it to the old rooms at the Excalibur.

Now the "fun" began!! The casino was pretty much empty during my stay (Monday & Tuesday night!), and I was amazed at how slow the cocktail service was when I was playing slots. While playing blackjack I about fell on the floor from disgust/shock when the waitress served me (repeatedly!!) my rum & coke in a plastic cup!! I asked the pit boss what that was all about, he just shook his head and walked away. The waitress said that the dish-washer was broke down?!? I laughed with the rest of the table and told them that maybe I should just bring in my own brown bag of booze next time!!

One woman at the table was drinking a glass of wine, when she re-ordered they brought her the next drink in a high-ball glass!?! We all had to laugh....to stop from crying!!

I did find the casino to be very clean and not smokey at all. Also, the workers were all very friendly. And the buffet was pretty decent too.

Because they didn't offer a decent shuttle service to the Strip, I spent most of my time going across the street to the Gold Coast & Rio because their shuttle's ran pretty much all day/night.

I think that the Palms is probably more concerned with being a party spot for weekender's versus being a full service casino and hotel.

I don't think I would go back again, even if the room was comped, because I can get an "average" room on the strip where all the action is........plus have my room comped there too!

On a good note, when i got back home I was emailed a survey from the Palms. I filled it out as honestly as I wrote this review, and was surprised to get a reply from the General Mngr that apologized for the bad service that I had received.

I should also point out the The Luxor "did" give me a free upgrade while I stayed at their hotel during this trip!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank airbrush101

Reviewed July 12, 2010

I visited this hotel in early March and stayed 2 nights there and 2 nights in a suite at the Hard Rock. When we checked in and I saw how piteful the standard room was, we asked for the upgrade. When I asked to actually SEE the upgraded room, they said that they couldn’t show me, but they could only show me a PICTURE of it. Fine. The woman at the desk said that the upgrade was SO much better and that we would really like it. I trusted her judgment and paid the $50 more a night for the upgraded unit. The upgrade was nothing special at all, and we were disappointed once we saw it. The décor is plain, bland, and just not special at all. I reasoned that I would deal with it because we were going to a nicer hotel in 2 days anyway.

Why this hotel sucks:

-The hotel décor itself is really unimpressive if you have stayed at almost every hotel in Las Vegas. There isn’t even a lobby. You walk in and there are a bunch of slot machines and a check in to your left. From the moment you walk in you will just think to yourself, “This is it?”

-The hotel rooms are gross and just subpar. This is Vegas and I expect to be wowed. This was a wow, but in a bad way…more like, “Wow. This sucks.”

- The bathroom amenities are almost 100% geared toward men. Expect men’s razor products and other acts of randomness.

Who this hotel would be perfect for:

I would say that this hotel is good for men. This is nothing fancy, no bells and whistles. The Playboy Club is there and that is pretty much the best part of the hotel. This is the hotel I would pick if I were planning someone’s bachelor party.

What doesn’t suck:

- The Budda restaurant was cool, although the sushi, much like the hotel was subpar. You can get better or equal in most other places. The atmosphere is really good though.
- Playboy Club / Moon are really cool and worth the trip.
- I felt like they have a nice, friendly staff. Nothing wrong there, just the property wasn’t for me / us / anyone with good taste.

Overall

I was SO glad to be leaving. The room at the Hard Rock blew us away. GO THERE. They are running great deals, the rooms are impressive and stunning with the same, edgy / trendy vibe. I wouldn’t stay at the Palms again, but would return for their clubs.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank TravelingBeautifully
Reviewed July 9, 2010

The rooms in the Palms Tower are like Holiday Inn rooms with lumpy, gross pillows, old televisions, dirty and old bathrooms and that smell of mildew that lingers in older hotels. I paid $30 per night extra to switch to a room in the Fantasy Tower and it is like a completely different hotel: luxurious bed with a flat screen television and new gorgeous bathroom.

This hotel is great! It is laid out well and has a young, hip feeling. Not lots of families or elderly - mostly a younger crowd. I sat poolside (no shade unless you spend money on a $500 per day cabana so wear a hat) and the waitresses wear bikinis and high heels! So Vegas.

The clubs Moon and Rain (in the hotel) have gorgeous views and are worth a visit.

Go and enjoy if this all sounds appealing but please stay in the Fantasy Tower.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank pastular18
Reviewed July 3, 2010

I love the fact that this place is not so huge you get lost from one end of the casino to the other. Perfect size, great location just off the strip. It is close enough to be on the strip in minutes, but far enough away to avoid the grid-lock when leaving or coming back to the hotel. Excellent restaurants, great casino, a winner in Las Vegas!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 1, 2010

I let my host plan out my itenerary of shows and restaurants. He arranged rides and took us on a whirlwind tour of the hot spots and parties. We had the best trip since we started coming to Las Vegas twenty years ago. It will be hard to top but I know the next trip will good because my host works on what we like to do. I guess the key is having a host who treats you like you are his only guest. We truly appreciated the time and service we received and the supporting casts were great too. We are returning back soon with our family to celebrate an upcoming event and our host has it all ready to go again. I look forward to my vacations and it is important that they are worth the ride.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2010

My poker group planned a trip to play in the World Series of Poker...a couple guys in our group are regulars at The Wynn, and were able to get a $199 player rate for us...I was planning on that until I got an offer from The Palms a few weeks ago...$49/night, third night free, $50 free slot play, $50 spa credit, VIP check in, VIP passes to nightclubs...plus, it was right across the street from the Rio, where the WSOP was being played.

Plusses:

1. Small size...unlike many hotels, it's nice not to get lost or need a map to find your way around.
2. Good sports book
3. Food was tasty.
4. Has a multiplex and food court...just like home. Nice for a break from regular casino action.
5. Rooms are nice...like a new Westin. Also,housekeeping was always prompt and good.

Minuses:

1. Location. Unless you are playing a lot of poker at the Rio,you need to take a cab/car to the strip. Their free shuttle only runs twice a day...at 11am and 2pm. Rio,for example, has shuttles every hour all day/night to their sister properties (Harrahs)
2. Pool - Very barren, and loud club music played all day. I like trees/foliage, some shade and a little more tranquil setting. Don't know why all pools in Vegas insist on cranking music - I have an ipod. At least that way, I get to listen to what I like.
3. Crowd...I'm 45, and I felt old...especially at the pool, where I think I was the only person without a tattoo :)

For the rate I paid, it was a great deal...personally, in Vegas, I would go to whatever decent hotel was offering me the best bargain. You are rarely in your room anyway...

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 27, 2010

I have stayed in many top hotels, but this has got to be one of the best. Everything about this hotel was GREAT! The service was excellent from all the hotel staff, very helpfull and friendly. We stayed in the Fantasy Tower, the rooms where awesome, great size, huge comfortable bed and very comfortable pillows. The pool area was top class.So much to do in the hotel, Top class restaurants and bars. Highly recommend eating at NOVE, magnificent views of Las Vegas from this restaurant and delicous food and brillant service from all restaurant staff. The hotel was also real value for money and we got vouchers for restaurants in the hotel, as well as VIP passes to the clubs like the Playboy club. The next time Im in Las Vegas, I wont even think twice about booking at The Palms again. Highly recommend this hotel to anyone going to Las Vegas!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple