“The Palms- the Ultimate Vegas Experience”

Palms Casino Resort
Ranked #63 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
New York City, New York
“The Palms- the Ultimate Vegas Experience”
Reviewed August 19, 2009

I recently completed my fourth stay in Vegas, and choosing to stay at the Palms was the best "Vegas vacation" choice I've made yet. I traveled with a group of 11 people, including my girlfriend. Everyone was in their early to mid 20's. Everyone was very satisfied with the rooms; they were clean, large, and included everything we needed.
The hotel did a great job cleaning the room. Room service was excellent, fast, and reasonably priced.

We went to the Ditch Fridays pool party on Friday and it was an awesome experience. We got there early enough to get a few chairs near the pool, and we hung out all day. The drinks were great and the atmosphere was even better. Occasionally at certain pool parties in Vegas, their is a "trashy" vibe... well Ditch Fridays didn't have that. It was laid back, classy fun... which is what we were looking for in a vacation.

The restaurants in the Palms are great. The food court, with Sbarro, Nathans, etc. was a nice option. The 24/7 cafe is pretty damn good... lots of options, reasonably priced, and the food was good. We decided to do a "nice" dinner on our last night, so we chose Alize at the Palms. It is on the top level and gives patrons a spectacular bird's eye view of Vegas. We chose the $45 price fix option... the food was pretty good... not the greatest steak I ever had, but it was solid.

The only issue I had was that, as I enjoyed my chocolate souffle dessert, I found what appeared to be a hair or a something in my plate. When I informed the waiter, he took the plate and literally examined it with a flashlight. I got the vibe that they didn't believe I actually found it in my food. Anyway, it took him 3 trips to our table to actually APOLOGIZE to me. He claimed it was a bristle from the chef's brush... They did not take any $ off the bill or anything. It was very disappointing and unprofessional. I would not dine there again. They are very stuck up and they do not make you feel welcome. I dine in some of the fanciest restaurants in New York City all the time, and I have never received such disrespectful service before.

Alize was the only negative aspect about the Palms. I enjoyed the gambling options. They had many $10 roulette & blackjack tables, which is what I look for on vacation. I am not looking to gamble thousands of dollars... I gamble for fun... Palms caters to both the high rollers, and the casual gamblers.

As for the nightlife, it is TOP NOTCH. We went out to the clubs in the Palms 2 separate nights. I had been there on previous trips, and once again I was not disappointed. Ghostbar & Moon are great options. We did not make it to Rain this time, but it is also a good club. The drinks are priced consistent with other clubs in Vegas.... the music is good, the clubs were packed, and there was a great energy about them. In my opinion, nothing beats hanging out in the outdoor section of Ghostbar, enjoying some drinks with some good company. You really FEEL the Vegas experience at the Palms.

All in all, it was a great trip and I would definitely stay at the Palms again. Can't wait until my next Vegas trip!

• Stayed August 2009
2 Thank Sigs11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (837)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Netherlands
Reviewed August 7, 2009

We stayed 3 nights in the Palms hotel.
On the negative side:
1) Welcome: non-existent. No info whatsoever about the hotel, just the key-cards were handed to us.
2) Rooms: way to expensive if you look at lack of any luxury. Old fashioned TV, nothing available for making coffee or tea, large bathroom with almost nothing in it. The way the rooms are decorated give the impression that management decided to put so little in it that almost nothing can be broken.
3) The hotel: now it's getting nasty: the Palm isn't a hotel, it's a dance hall. Parties all over the place. Nice for my teenage kids you might think but the stupid US law forbids them to participate in this parties, you have to be 21 ! So on Friday they were sent out of the pool at 10 o'clock in the morning (!!!!) because of a pool-party that lasted all day by a bunch of 'security gorilla's'. Later that day they were even harassed by another bunch of gorilla's when they tried to reach the lift to go upstairs: 'People younger than 21 aren't allowed here'. And they were hotelguests !!!
I myself experienced difficulities reaching my room because of the long cues on the ground floor of people waiting to visit the clubs.
Loud dancemusic all day long. We were staying at the 25th floor. During daytime dance-music coming out of the pool area. In the evening loud dancebeats coming out of the different clubs, lasting all day till 4 o'clock in the morning. Loud conversations of people returning to their rooms after the parties kept us awake until six in the morning.
4) 'Acces fee': had to pay a dollar a day 'access fee' . Had to do something with internet. Stupid. Visited almost 15 hotels in the US, never have seen this. I think it's simply a rip-off (like the water at the pool, $8 dollar a bottle).
5) Pools are great when you as a hotel guest are allowed to make use of it. Close early (5 p.m) or are closed all day for private parties. No information given about the closing times, you are simply send away by yet another gorilla.
6) Room cleaning: planning of room cleaning is not very efficient. First day of stay room cleaning arrived at 6.30 in the evening, before dinner. Bathroom in use, all people present in room, so housecleaning had to leave, As a result no cleaning done.
7) The number of gorilla's with earpieces is quite threatening in the Palms. They have nothing to do but look angry and stand in the way. They give you the feeling you're not welcome.
8) Attitude: the Palms is an arrogant place. Employees are arrogant and Palms stresses every time that it's hotel is exclusive. But if you scratch the thin layer of gold it's simply morter and bricks that appear. You will not become classy or exclusive by mentioning it ten times a day. You have to earn it. And you will never achieve it by behaving arrogant.
Palms is miles away from the exclusivity of f.i a lot of European or Asian hotels, simply because those hotels really know what service is. And Palms doesn't have a clue.

On the positive side ? Not everything is bad, some things are average. So finally you learn to live with it.

Management of Palms should make a choice. At this very moment it seems to be that they want to make money by pampering the party-people and offend the hotel guests. So for me and my family this was our last stay at the Palms.
Worst hotel I've been in during our 3 weeks stay in the US.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank MartindeL
London
Reviewed August 5, 2009

amazing hotel! hot girls! clubs amazing! rooms amazing apart from finding a comdom beind the wardorbe next to teh bin. i huess the throw didn't make the bin! but non the less amazing place to stay. its linda off the strip where everything happends so you need to take a taxi everytime you leave the hotel. thats about $8.00+ a ride depending on traffic.

i would say try get a place on the strip like MGM or wynn as you walk out into everything but the price would be much more. to get to the greyhoud from teh plams is about $20.00 but becarefull as they are money suckers and once they hear your acsent they take you for a ride as they think you have won stacks in you luggage.!

i paid $99 a night for 2 doulbe beds which was a bargin so i cant complain what soever. just the location was a bit out of teh central strip. (strip i mean where everything happends!!)

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 1, 2009

I stayed at the Palms for my bachelor party get away with 10 of my friends, we had a great time! In fact another friend of mine had his there as well two years later. The Ghost Bar was an unforgettable experience. Wish I could give more details but what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled with friends
Oklahoma
Reviewed July 26, 2009

We stayed here for 2 nights while exploring Las Vegas. We arrived at 1:30 in the morning so when we got our room, we didn't look around, we just went to sleep. The next morning, we noticed that the room wasn't that clean. It was very dusty and there was a big smear of what looked like barbeque sauce(I hope) on the wall by the tv. The room rate was reasonable and we didn't spend that much time in the room, so we dealt with the cleanliness issue, but we will not stay there the next time we go to Vegas.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
UK
Reviewed July 24, 2009

I can't say how good this hotel is. If you want a good place to stay in Vegas, this is it. Decent rooms in the fantasy tower with good service by staff. If you are a party animal again, look no further. 4 excellent bars/clubs each with it's own unique experience, open 'till late and if you are staying at the hotel - free entry/queue jump tickets etc. Great pool party's every Friday during the summer and there is totty galore. The spa is great too, excellent facilities including outdoor pool, sauna, plunge pool, massage etc and even a superb restaurant for lunch if you fancy it.
The only downside - if you are not at the pool before luchtime forget about having a sun lounger there won't be any left.
I stayed here for 10 days with 5 other friends and I never tired of the place.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed July 22, 2009

I stayed 6 days in Palms with my husband as he had a business trip. There are very few good things I can say about this hotel.
First problem came during check-in, we asked for non-smoking room but once we got to our room we discovered it is for smokers (everything including the pillows smelled really bad). We went downstairs to complain and change the room but were told that actually hotel is fully booked and there are no non-smoking rooms left. So we had no choice to go back to smelly room and survive the night. Unfortunately during the next 2 days we were told the same story.. no non-smoking rooms available.
Rooms are quite big but really outdated. We had also a chance to visit Playboy suite in Palms - I must say for the price you have to pay it is not worth it. The suite looks like the 80's, quite worn.
Location - well, it is off the strip, so you need a cab anywhere you want to go. There is nothing around the hotel.
Food - we tried room service for breakfast. the yoghurt parfait was very good but I do not recommend their pancakes. Although they are big, they taste like something artificial, I could not finish even one of them. But we tried japanese restaurant located downstairs and the food was quite good.
One more staff-related problem - during the check-out we asked if we can leave the postcards at the desk and buy the stamps for them. The man at the front desk said that there is no problem but they have some problem with cashier, so if we want we have to leave him some 10 dollars in cash and he will take care of it later. He probably cheated on us!!! The postcards never came..
I do not recommend this hotel. If you can choose stay in any other hotel located in the Strip.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple