“Excellent Stay in Bungalow Room - Highly Recommended”

Palms Casino Resort
Ranked #79 of 265 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed October 17, 2013

This is part of a continuing series of my impressions and experiences staying at various hotels and resorts while traveling to attend concerts worldwide. This stay was during my recent trip to Las Vegas in October 2013. This review is for The Palms Casino Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Property: The Palms Casino Hotel
Room Type/Class: Bungalow (Room 3203 “Bungalow Three”)
Date: October 5 – October 7, 2013
Overall Rating: 5/5 [Note: Score is totally subjective based on price, location, and comparison to "like" properties within same area and price range]

I choose this hotel because I was in Las Vegas to review a Depeche Mode concert, and they were playing the venue at the Palms Casino Hotel – their Pearl Concert Theater (which is one of my favorite concert venues in Las Vegas).

Though I had been to The Palms several times in the past for concerts, this was my first stay at their hotel.

I was in the midst of a heavy travel schedule that week with my arrival, and my flight out of Houston was delayed, so I did not arrive to check-in until about 2:30 am.

Even with the very late arrival, they were super nice at the front desk and booked me in a bungalow, without asking for any kind of upgrade. I did not know what that meant, but was actually escorted by security passed the pool area to one of the three bungalows at the back.

I stay at a lot of hotels and resorts all over the world, but even I was very impressed with this room. Having shot photography in Houston all day in the heat with a ton of camera gear, then flying into Vegas, I was pretty exhausted, and upon entering the room and looking around, I had to wonder if I was dreaming. Not an ordinary room…

The bottom floor has a big open area with a bar, refrigerator, dishes and silverware, many flatscreen TVs, couches, and a lanai with its own spa outside, with a fireplace that faces inside and outside. Definitely designed for entertaining.

There are stairs leading up to the second floor, but an elevator as well… upstairs features the large bedroom, a huge bathroom with a jetted tub and stand up shower stall, and dual sinks. There is also a balcony outside, overlooking the public pool area.

It was a very, very nice room. It was also very nice, private, and quiet.

The hotel, of course, offers a lot of Las Vegas-style amenities. I had opportunities to try food at several of the eating establishments, which was all great.

While it is off the Strip, in many ways that can be a plus for getting around, if you have a rental car or take advantage of shuttles (sometimes it is easier to get to other places on the Strip by circumventing, and limiting your time driving on the Strip itself).

I really, really enjoyed my stay at The Palms (much more than I expected) and would definitely return, especially if they are hosting a concert there, which makes it a no brainer. Highest recommendations.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Rock-Subculture
Louis V, Guest Relations Manager at Palms Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Thank you for an absolutely tremendous review Rock-Subculture!!

Your thorough depiction of our hotel and accommodations are greatly valued. We appreciate your feedback and are thrilled with your commentary. Your review will assist future travelers to the Palms and we cannot thank you enough for your submission.

We would love to see you again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,399)

Reviewed October 17, 2013

My husband and I went to Las Vegas for a week (Oct 5-12). When checking in, we got upgraded to a suite, which was great because the premeire room we had originally booked I found out had no bath tub! The suite was super nice, a little dusty as though it hadn't been used in a while, but otherwise was great. Didn't get a chance to use the pool facilities as it was only in the low 70's while we were there, but from just walking by it, it seemed really nice as well. My husband LOVED the casino. It was never too crowded and there were always seats at the tables, you never had to wait for someone to get up.

We also loved the buffet. Its normally $8.99 for breakfast, 12.99 for lunch, and we never ate dinner there so I don't know, but if you sign up for the Players Club card, the breakfast is only $6.99 and lunch is only $8.99. Pretty good deal.

As for location, it was located off the strip and would be quite a walk if they didn't have the shuttles. We had rented a car so we never had a need to use the shuttle. Most of the casinos in Vegas have free parking, which was awesome.

I definitely recomment anyone who stays here (or stays in Vegas in general) to get a rental car. For the week it only cost a hundred and eighty dollars, which would probably pay for itself if you take any bus trips or take any cabs while there. We drove to the Hoover Dam, the Grand Canyon West, to Valley of Fire State Park, and all over Vegas while there. Plus there are tons of really nice and not as expensive restaurants all over the out skirts of Vegas.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KimberlyHughes

Thank you for your great review and for sharing your experience at Palms!

Your tips certain assist future travelers to Las Vegas and to our property, an invaluable tool for the TA community.

We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed October 16, 2013

A group of eight of us stayed at the Palms to take advantage of the Canadian Thanksgiving long weekend. Overall, the hotel was average but nothing really stood out as ranking it above that. We definitely had some issues with different service locations at the resort.

We chose the resort as my friend's husband has been to Las Vegas many times and liked the feel and age range of guest that he has interact with at the Palms. This was my third time to Vegas and while I did like being off the strip and out of all the crowds, I found that the Palms was a little too far for my liking as there wasn't really much to explore on the grounds themselves, nor in the vicinity. The hotel does offer a free shuttle that will take you to the strip between 11am and 8pm which was an added bonus, and helped save a little on transportation costs. However, for obvious reasons we would have liked it to have the service run beyond these hours too.

The rooms were okay, although we could easily hear conversations from the hallway and those staying in rooms around us. The beds were great after shopping all day and dancing all night. However, our room had a very strange musty odor like wet dog/mildew which was present from the time we arrived until we left. We found the rooms dark, and the lighting in the bathroom horrible for getting ready. There is a small makeup mirror with lights on the side in the bathroom but it is very small and the large mirror outside the bedroom could have used a light near it to assist us in getting ready at the same time. Also, internet was provided in the $20/night resort fee, which is in addition to your nightly room fee, but it was very slow and unreliable.

The guys loved the sports centre and poker space, and we all had a great day relaxing near the pool. The weather was cooler then seasonal and so we didn't spend any time in the outdoor pool as it was ice cold, but others seemed to really enjoy it. We stuck to sun tanning and using the hot tub.

The real cons for us were the hours that the buffet were open as we always seemed to missed the times, just didn't jive with our group's schedule. We also experienced horribly slow service at the 24/7 restaurant on two occasions (resulting in some of our party and many of those around us walking out). My last day the rest of my group had left and I had lunch by myself and witness the most condescending and rude service I had seen in a long time (involving two other guests who were ESL). Thank goodness the couple felt comfortable enough to walk away after receiving the treatment they did from the hostess at the 24/7. It was surprising to see this service as there were obviously two important gentlemen sitting on the other side of me (every staff person around was coming up to these men and asking how they were doing and joking around with them...not the same service the rest of us were receiving).

Our last night there was a huge private party which made accessing the elevators to our rooms very difficult due to a pallet of chairs blocking the entrance to our tower, the check-in process being set up right on the main hallway, and three women who were hired to direct this group from the pool area to the Ghost Bar (right in front of the elevator space where guests gain access to the rest of the facility). It was difficult to navigate passed these women and then to break through the steady stream of intoxicated delegates trying to make their way to the bar. On the last day credit cards were down and the staff at the 24/7 said that it had to do with the age of the property.

We went to the Ghost Bar on the Sunday night and had a great time, until we needed to leave because some idiots were trying to pick fights with our husbands. The guys approached our party on three different occasions, twice they were escorted away by security but were never kicked out. The third time they cornered a couple of our guys near the washroom when security wasn't around, by this point we had enough and chose to leave. This all started over one of our husbands asking one of these guys for a lighter for another patron of the bar who was not part of our party. Was a sour end to the night when we were the ones who had to choose to leave so that they would leave us alone. The bar chose to keep two idiot in and basically forced the eight of us to leave...we had even bought bottle service ($500) and were planning on getting a second. On the positive side, the view was great, we absolutely loved the DJ and the place was clean and had a really good vibe...oh and we didn't have to pay to get in because we were guests of the hotel.

The check-in/out staff were great and very quick in providing service and we use the concierge once to gain information about how to get to the outlet malls.

As I said, it was an okay facility with a good young professional vibe. Beyond the comfort of the bed and efficiency of the reservation staff, nothing really put this hotel above average for me. Not sure if I would pay to give the Palms the opportunity to renew my faith in their hotel or not...

Room Tip: Just as an FYI the room that we had only had a shower, no bath. So if you are looking to have a lon...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sheena A
Louis V, Guest Relations Manager at Palms Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

We greatly appreciate your feedback and for sharing your experience.

It is very disappointing to learn of the instances where our service should have shined through and we apologize for the letdown. At Palms we strive to provide world-class service on each and every interaction, it is clear we failed to provide the exceptional service we have become known for. Your review will be shared with our security staff as well as the management team in 24/7 for a closer look into the important feedback you provided. We will utilize your commentary for appropriate response training and to minimize any similar issues in the future.

We are truly sorry for your experience and we hope to see again to help restore your faith in Palms

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I've been to a couple big name salons in Vegas and really didn't feel that the quality of those salons were any better than other chain type salons that might be in a mall. I decided to go to Kim Vo salon because I was staying at the Palms and was in serious need of a manicure. Ms. Rodriguez gave me the best manicure I have ever had, literally. She talked me into getting my hair styled and really I just didn't feel like doing it myself. Yvon styled my hair and I could tell right away that he was very experienced. He did a great job and I LOVED it!! Overall, this salon is a high quality salon with quality products and experienced quality stylist. I highly recommend.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank KATINCIBOLO

Thank you for your great review about our world-class salon, Kim Vo Salon!!

We greatly appreciate your feedback and are very delighted to hear about your experience, we certainly love to make that lasting impression by offering the type of service we have become known for.

We hope to see you again!

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I booked the Palms through a website through my work and got a great deal ($40/night) so not sure if this rate is available for everyone but considering almost all hotels add a $20/night charge to the room I figured $60/night couldn't be beat.

Pros:
Modern nice rooms
Offered to upgrade from a regular room to a suite for extra $56/night
Quiet casino
Free parking

Cons:
Checking in takes awhile, only 2 ppl at the reception desk each time I went up there
Had to go through security when we forgot a coat in the room (after we checked out) and it took 20 mins for him to figure out what was going on. I can't imagine if we had a real emergency.

We didn't eat there nor use any of the ammenities (pool, fitness center, etc) so I can't comment on those. I would definitely recommend the Palms as a place to consider when visiting Vegas. As long as you have a rental car you couldn't ask for more.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Louis V, Guest Relations Manager at Palms Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Thank you for your great review NAMSanAntonio!

Your feedback holds tremendous value to us as well as future travelers to the Palms Casino Hotel. We are very disappointed with the encounter you described in regards to retrieving your coat, a simple procedure we should have been quicker to react to. That is not indicative of our level of service and we apologize.

We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

This was our 10th time in Las Vegas.We try to stay at a different hotel every time.Check in was very fast and the staff was very friendly.The rooms were amazing and a very nice view of the strip.The 2 problems we had at this Hotel was that the pool was shut down way to early.They started closing the pool at 5 pm .The other was the last shuttle to the strip is at 8pm which we thought was ridiculous.Other than that we thought this was an awesome hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Louis V, Guest Relations Manager at Palms Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thank you for your feedback booger6174

We greatly appreciate your feedback and will work on improving the overall guest experience by way of reviews just like yours. We take your comments to the highest regard and appreciate you for sharing your experience.

We hope to see you again!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Our reason for booking and staying at the palms casino resort was to see Depeche Mode last week at the Pearl Theatre, which was awesome! what an impressive place for a concert. We were pleased with the room, very comfy bed and pillows, good service through out , staff were pleasant enough- we used the 24 hour restaurant which was excellent quality, value and service - we went to the an nine steak house, on the Monday evening, but was made to feel a bit under pressure with the expensive menu. Having said that, It was an excellent meal, Kobe beef burger the best we've ever tasted - but we felt we should have shared! The Portions were huge and we could only manage half! ( this seems to be like everywhere in Vegas though!)
We also visited the cinema, good value for a Monday only $5, enjoyed the various bars / cocktails, and fast food area.
Would liked to have tried the Italian, but it was closed when we wanted to go.
Couldn't fault anything else, only the shuttle bus to and from the strip, ( we used once), was a long queue and a small bus for the number of people waiting and not regular or late enough. As its supposed to be part of the daily $22.50 'resort fee', we felt this was not a good service. As it was, we enjoyed the walk (30 - 40mins) to the strip, and had brunch there.
We felt the Palms obviously want to keep you there rather than make it easy to leave to visit other hotels/casinos. Ask about the palms club card, we weren't told about this, it appears it was free and gives money off in the restaurant. They don't advertise this.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your great review oanne044!

We always appreciate a thorough review and a shared experience. Your comments will certainly help future travelers to the Palms Casino Hotel as well as assisting us in improving the expectations. We apologize for the shuttle service, your feedback will be utilized and shared to help understand where we can get better.

Hope to see you again!