“9th Time in Vegas, 9 hotels, just stay on the strip”

Palms Casino Resort
Ranked #62 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Denver, Colorado
“9th Time in Vegas, 9 hotels, just stay on the strip”
Reviewed May 15, 2008

I just stayed at the Palms and it was an ok hotel. I went to Vegas with my 22yr old son and he liked this hotel a lot. I am of course older and felt just a tad out of my place. The price of the room and a view of the pool I wasn't complaining. Drab decor though. Went to Alize and was absolutely the best food I have ever had in Vegas. Ate at buffet ok, Garduno's wasn't impressed, 24/7 was fine for a quick bite, don't forget they have a food court and MCD's is always an option. But the best is Blue Agave for a margarita. Only thing I didn't like was they charged me a $1.00 a day to have a phone in my room that I never used, and also a damage/room deposit of a $100/day. I tried twice at check in and out to figure out what this deposit was for actually and was only told that it would be discharged from my credit card in 72hrs after I checked out of the hotel. Check in was a snap and so was check out. I was not impressed with the hired help at the front desk. The Bell boys were making crude comments to me when I gave the one guy who brought out my luggage his $1 tip. I only gave them one dollar because my son had one suitcase and I had a suitcase and a carry on. I had piggy backed my carry on to my suitcase, and when the suitcases came out my carry on was on my son's suitcase and not on mine. OH, you think they went through my cases. Yeah, I figured that too. I liked the casino here but the waitresses were a pain. They didn't help women I noticed, but the men got all the attention in the world.

• Liked — Confortable beds
  • Disliked — Unfair fees
  • Stayed May 2008
3 Thank annbot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (843)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
NJ
Reviewed May 11, 2008

We stayed at the Palms for three nights at the beginning of May 2008. There were several reasons why we decided on the hotel...1) The group we were traveling with had already booked their rooms 2) The nightlife 3) The pool.

CHECK IN:
Check in was painless. We were fortunate to meet DJ at the front desk who was extremely friendly and informative. He provided us with passes to the nightclubs and even upgraded our room to the Fantasy Tower superior. Our flight arrived early and we were checked in by 1 PM.

ROOM:
The superior room in the fantasy tower was nice. LCD TV, nice bathroom with jacuzzi tub, and two double beds. One of the beds was actually broken and in horrible shape. After going back down to the front desk and advising the staff of the problem , the bed was replaced within a few hours. It was extremely comfortable and wasn't a big deal. They gave us the option to change rooms, but it wasn't worth it after already unpacking.

POOL:
The pool area at the Palms is nice. We went everyday and the best day was definately Friday (Ditch Friday). Packed with people, yet alot of fun. Service was mediocre at best and I found some of the bartenders so overwhelmed that they were nasty to some of the people waiting. If you don't go on Friday, there are less people.

CASINO:
Very small with not enough tables. We gambled at the other casinos more than the Palms. Mediocre dealers at the Palms and absolutely no excitement here.

RESTAURANTS:
We had dinner at Nove Italiano and it was excellent from the food to the service. Worth the money. We also dined at the restaurant "24/7" and it easily had the worst service I've received at a restaurant in five (yes 5) years. SLOW, SLOWER, SLOWEST. Every customer in there was obviously upset and I can't see how they survive on tips. There is also a food court at the Palms with your average fast food and a coffee shop serving three dollar coffee (per cup). Not even Starbucks.

NIGHTCLUBS:
I think many people travel to the Palms for the nightlife. Well, look elsewhere, the Palms has been left behind by all the clubs on the strip. Ghostbar was cool with a view , but the guy to girl ratio is 65/35 and the drinks were about 10 a pop. Wouldn't care about the price, but the place just has a view now. Not that fun. We also witnessed a girl's purse and camera get jacked from her table when she got up for a few minutes. Security came and tried to rectify the situation. They found out who took the items but DID NOT throw the dude out. Come on. As for Moon. Again, nice view and same price on drinks. At least here you get a dance floor and a retractable roof. Other than that, pretty lame. Playboy Club was cool if you like a lounge type place. It's really nice but more like a place to gamble, smoke cigars and sip scotch while you take in the atmosphere. Last but not least Rain. I remember Rain three years ago when it was one of the best clubs in Vegas. Now? Easily one of the worst. Guy/Girl ratio was 80/20 (scary). Thankfully we had comp admission and did not have to wait on the line b/c the place....sucked. The Palms can no longer compete with the newer clubs/bars elsewhere in Vegas.

CHECK OUT
Just a few notes here. Our flight was departing very late so I asked if we could check out three hours past normal time, understanding that they couldn't let us stay too long. I figured a nominal fee but got a quote of $250.00 for the extra three (yes 3) hours. I also noticed some extra charges on our room bill for things from the in room bar that we never took. They were removed.

SUMMARY
The Palms is your average off the strip hotel. It's all hype that they have been living off of since 2004. If you go, stop by for DItch Fridays at the pool or have dinner at Nove Italiano. Stay away from the clubs unless you like to party with all men. There are so many other places to go in Vegas and the hotel is not convenient nor is it what it used to be. Horrible hotel? No. Mediocre with few bright spots, yes. I don't intend on returning.

• Liked — Nove Italiano
  • Disliked — Nightlife
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
4 Thank NJtourist
memphis, tennessee
Reviewed May 2, 2008

Amazing place. Everything you need all in one spot. If you are ever in the area this place is a MUST. It is a little pricey but it is really worth every penny. I probably wouldnt recommend for children or wives but perfect spot for singles and young or older travelers who like to have a good time.

• Liked — beautiful people
  • Disliked — price was a little too high but worth it and they do have romantic rooms also
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
Clovis, NM
Reviewed May 1, 2008

Awful hotel. Nice party site but not a place to stay. Rooms are aout the quality of and size of a 2 star hotel. Every night we could hear normal conversation and traffic from the streat. We were on the 16th floor. The casino was dark and uninvting. There really wasn't anything enjoyable about the hotel as a place to stay.

• Disliked — Walls paper thin. Could hear and smelleverything coming from other rooms.
New England, USA
Reviewed April 25, 2008

Stayed for 5 nights in April 2008 for a business trip. Check in and out was very smooth. Room very spacious, clean and comfortable. Lots of security. No balcony but good view of the mountains. Excellent toiletries including toothpaste, deodorant, etc. Food was very expensive - $2.50 for a soda in the mini bar and meals at the restaurants in the $40+ range. This hotel is for the elite young partying crowd, not for average people on vacation. There was constant loud contemporary music playing everywhere. People were very dressed up (like in a fashion magazine) all times of the day.

It is a mile from the strip so you have to take a taxi for $11 each way (no sidewalks to walk to it). Pool area is small....I did not use it but others complained that there was no place to lounge. The casino is not very spacious and full of smokers...both cigarettes and cigars. There was no escape from the smoke as the reception area and several restaurants are a few feet from the border of the casino.

The hotel has free valet parking which was very efficient. Every employee that I came in contact with was very professional and friendly.

Although the accomodations were fine, I would not stay here again due to the location and atmosphere.

• Liked — Clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — Location and atmosphere
Austin, TX
Reviewed April 20, 2008

Unless you are 21-25 and are into the club scene, save your money!!! The hotel is the furthest away from the strip, the casino is a joke (run by kids) and the minimum bets are twice what they are at nicer casinos like the Bellagio and MGM. My wife and I were kept awake until 4AM by a party going on in the room next to us, and all the front desk could was to put us on hold! The staff are just as young and rude as the partiers that turn the resort into a loud, dressed-up frat party. I do not understand what resort these reviewers are referring to--but it can't possibly be the same Palms we stayed at. Save your money and stay at the Bellagio, Paris, Monte Carol, MGM, or the Venetian. The Palms "took us" for $1400 and we never gambled a dime there.

• Liked — The bed was nice and soft
  • Disliked — Everything else
2 Thank mckayjohnson
toronto
Reviewed April 9, 2008

This hotel is perfect for the party goers...I absolutely do not recommend this hotel to families or anyone looking for a romantic getaway...The Palms pool is the place to be during the day, people are still partying from the night before and the music is pumped to the max and will get anyone going...There were 7 girls in our group and we had the best time ever!!! Just a tip, if you want to get a seat at the pool go down early and try and reserve some, otherwise they're all gone by 10am and you'll have to stand around...The service was great, absolutely no complaints at all...Rooms are spacious, clean, and fairly modern...If you have a chance book a diner at N9NE Steakhouse, the food is amazing!!! Trust me the menu has more of a seafood selection than steak...best lobster bisque ever!!!

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends