“No notification on the website about stripping the fairways”

Desert Pines Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: We invite you to experience the Carolina sandhills, tucked away minutes from the Las Vegas Strip, in the historic part of Las Vegas. As you begin your Vegas golf round at Desert Pines Golf Club Las Vegas, you will feel transported from the closed-in casinos and overpowering glitz to a place where you can enjoy the fresh, calming scent of real pine trees. This Dye-designed golf course features over 4,000 mature pine trees lining the fairways with green grass running from tees to pins. White sand bunkers protect large, undulating, bent grass greens fashioned after those at Augusta National Golf Club. Although there are no forced carries, four lakes will add to the excitement and beauty of your round. Spanning more than 50 hitting stations, the Practice Center is ideal for a pre-round warm-up or a stop to practice your swing. The two-level facility is covered, to protect from rain and sunlight, and features misters during summer months and heaters during the winter for ultimate comfort and enjoyment. Extended hours allow flexibility for golfers, with closing times at 11 p.m. The Snack Bar offers the delicious food served, situated conveniently next to the 10th tee box and within walking distance to the parking lot, the Practice Center provides a chance to perfect your game.
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Played on Saturday the 21st of Sept. Fairways were stripped down bare, in preperation for overseeding on the 23rd. Website didnt mention maintenance crews stripping fairways PRIOR to closing for overseeding. And they charged me full rate! Seemed to me like a money grab for the weekend prior to closing for overseeding.I would have played somewhere else if I had known.

1  Thank bigwav
WaltersGolfMGT, Manager at Desert Pines Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Hello Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to review our golf course. We've reached out to you via message, and have not heard back yet, so we would like to comment here.

The feedback we received from you has already been applied to make sure we are upfront about the conditions at our course. Every year in Las Vegas, nearly every course goes through a process called "over seed". This is when we coax Bermuda grass to go dormant and begin growing rye grass. For a 1-2 day period conditions can be dry which is what you experienced.

We hope this information is helpful, and we would also like to make this up to you. Please follow you with us, so we can get complete feedback and resolve your concern.

Nathan Corliss
Desert Pines Golf Club

Reviewed September 14, 2013

A very pleasant course with a bit of everything (wide, tight, water etc) good views of downtown in the distance (couldnt see the main strip) - my only comment (I guess its not a critisism) is that this is a Pete Dye course, and yet again, he feels the need to put in very tricky greens - on some of them, if you missed the putt and expected to stop 12 - 18 inches behind the hole, try 10 foot behind the hole! i have come across this in palm springs with Pete Dye courses and I feel its unneccesary, but hey, its a round of golf and i would return.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

On my recent trip to Vegas, I played 4 rounds of golf. This course was my least favorite. I was solo, and when I checked it, she said I could go out whenever I wanted. The driving range area was under construction so I went out cold. The bag drop girl gave me grief about having a cooler, but gave me one of their coolers instead, which still seemed silly.

The holes are very narrow, and most of them were short. The 11th par 3 was 98 yards from the white tees. Most holes were being worked on by the grounds crew. I estimate that at least 10 holes were under some kind of repair. Playing as a single, I didn't run into another other group during my time there. It was like I bought a golf course for myself. This was nice, but also very weird when all the other courses I played were packed. After finishing the round, I understand why no one was there.

My favorite hole was the 9th and 18th by far.

The beverage girl came around several times, so that wasn't an issue. I was told in the pro shop that I would have a chance to beat the pro for a chance to win free merchandise in the pro shop. I never saw the pro, so I didn't spend a dime in the pro shop other than the greens fee.

With all the repair work, I probably wouldn't bother with that course for a couple of years, if I was to go back at all. There are so many other great courses in the area. That course felt like you were playing in a shoe box because of the distance, narrow fairways, and highways bordering several of the holes.

1  Thank PaintedCanvas1975
Reviewed August 19, 2013

This course, with regard to the competitive layout, is a very good challenge to one's golfing skills. The cerebral player will enjoy the test of the proper club selection, whereas a "driver" off of the tee box might not necessarily be the most prudent selection. The staff was polite and effective. The downside to playing this course, IMHO, is twofold; (1) with the course layout being "squeezed" into a specific plot of land, within the city limits, errant shots from adjacent fairways can make for some dangerous play, This was personally witnessed on several holes, and (2) when we played golf at Desert Pines (mid-Oct 2012), there was quite the eclectic mix of golfers, that is to say, the variety of people playing golf, ranged from the avid golfer to the foreigner who barely played the game, thus you might be in for a slower than normal round depending on any given day there. The Golf Shop has a nice variety of apparel offered.

Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

I've played this course over 50x & have never left a review.
Course is well maintained, the fees are reasonable & overall a great value.
Course usually plays quick.
Nice views of downtown.
They are renovating their driving range right now- so don't count on it.