“Great Pizza!”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Mario
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Great, very fresh food. The caprese salad was wonderful. We shared the pepperoni pizza, enough for 2 people. The pepperoni was freshly cut making it a wonderful taste treat. If you time it right you will have a ring side seat for the show in the square. Would definitely recommend and also eat there again.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

This restaurant is within the Venetian Hotel Las Vegas
Beautifully set within the "St Marks Square" of the Venetian Hotel this is the place for a lighter meal than otherwise available within the Hotel complex.

Service is efficient and the atmosphere is great. Fun just watching the numerous tour groups enter the St Marks area and seeing how quickly the cameras come up! It's that sort of WOWE factor

Pizza and croquettes washed down with a wine was an ample meal.

Not a particularly crowded place but a quiet night could not be assured due to the thousands of visitors wandering past

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Well, I think we have established that my parents are true-blue foodies, and my mom is the best home cook that we know. So, no surprise that we eat at a lot of chef-driven restaurants, and she always wants to try Food Network (the only channel/TV that she watches) chef places. For a late dinner one night in Vegas, we tried Otto thinking Mario’s name would be the seal of approval. Boy, were we wrong!

The hostess was applying lip gloss when we walked up, bad sign #1. After a short wait, we were seated. After a looooong wait, we were finally greeted by a server. I would say he was the #1 rudest server that I have ever seen throughout all of our dining out experiences. (#2 –> Golden Diner in Golden, CO). He seemed like he hates working there. My parents had a lot of questions about wine. They thought he was so short and unhelpful that they almost had us get up and leave right then. He was very condescending to my mom who knows a whole lot about Italian wines, and also knows about Bastianich Wines. The server started to tell her how the Bastianich’s owned the restaurant (she knew this which is why she brought it up), and I would have to say was talking to my mom like she was kind of dumb. (She’s not.) My parents never ordered a bottle of wine, after all, after dealing with this guy because they said they weren’t going to give the place our money for a bottle of wine. Same with questions about food — the waiter hated having to answer questions and was kind of silently creepy as he just gave them clipped answers and impatiently tapped his pen on his pad. They were disappointed. My mom Tweeted Mario Batali while we were sitting there. (He didn’t respond.)

As far as the food goes, by the time it arrived, and it took a looooong time, we just wanted to leave. My parents were visibly angry by this time. It was not a fun or pleasant dining experience — and it was 100% because of our server. On the plus side, my parents said the Rigatoni with Ragu Napolitana was one of the best pasta dishes they have ever had in a restaurant. We also shared several pizzas — The Romana: tomatoes, capers, anchovies, mozzarella and chili; Peperoni; and Sausage and Peppers. All the pizzas were fine, but no big deal, nothing at all to rave about. We’ve had much better pizza at Pizzeria Locale in Boulder, CO.

Otto is not at all kid-friendly – no kids menu, no crayons, no fun, no nothing.

We waited 25 minutes after being done for our check. My dad finally went to track it down. My mom and us kids left and went back to our room after waiting for 15 minutes for the bill after being done eating. On the way out, my mom told the lip-gloss applying hostess that we had a “horrible time” and had a “horrible server.” I was there, and the hostess didn’t say one word to my mom – she just stared and continued going through her purse looking for something. She obviously just wanted to go home — it was closing time.

So…here’s the kicker. When my dad arrived back to the room, he said he complained to the 20-something manager who he had to track down to get our bill. AND THE MANAGER REPLIED: “Well, all summer we’ve had Europeans visiting who don’t tip, and, frankly, my servers are sick of it.” Yes, he really said that. So…I guess they just don’t try any more. This is a big Vegas operation that treats guests as cattle — impersonally just moving them through the shoot to (get their money and) get them out of there.

For anyone who wants to go here because you watch Mario on The View and you want to try his food, I think you will be terribly disappointed as we were. Go to MESA, Bobby Flay’s place, or Bouchon, Thomas Keller’s place, and you will be sooo glad you did.

2  Thank Lexy-Kristi L
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Visiting Las Vegas has been made even better since we stopped in at Otto at The Canal Shops in The Venetian. My boyfriend and I have been on a trip for the APA National Championships for the past week and we found the Otto on pure chance. We sat down for just a drink at the bar, and were greeted promptly by Ken, the manager. He ended up serving us for the entire couple of hours we were there, and was nothing short of gracious and friendly. He spent a lot of time getting to know us, and gave us some great advice for our trip. Since we stopped in on a Thursday afternoon, the restaurant wasn't very busy, so we almost chalked it up to him just being friendly but also bored. WE WERE WRONG. We went back to Otto on that Saturday afternoon with another member of our pool team and the place was SLAMMED. Ken was there, saw us, and immediately had us seated and brought by a bottle of prosecco. He made time to meet our friend, chat a bit, and came back throughout the meal to check in on us,and even brought us items of his favorite to taste, though I'm sure he had bigger fish to fry. Ken made this place more than exceptional. Being from the south, hospitality goes a long way with me in a strange place across the country. Our server the second time was named Chad, and he was excellent as well. Charming without being smarmy, clever, and he made an excellent wine recommendation. Chad was technically our server the first time in as well, but Ken just took care of us. I haven't even mentioned the food yet, since the most alarmingly stellar part of our visits was the service. I hate to make this sound like an aside, but the food was also spectacular. We got a 3 meat platter and it was great with our Montepulciano and also some veal meatballs, and finished off with a fabulous dish of pistachio gelato. SO DELICIOUS. Every time we come back to Vegas, you can absolutely bet that our first stop will be Otto, and probably our last as well. Thank you, Ken and Chad, you are both tops in your field.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We loved this place and we actually found it by accident. After our Cirque show at Treasure Island my 7 year old was starving. The restaurants at Treasure Island were close to the Casino and therefore they all smelled like smoke...disgusting.

We went over to the Venetian and found Otto by Mario Batali. We had a great supper, everything tasted great and the service was superior. They catered to our son and we all had a great time.

I love it when people travel to Vegas and complain about the food prices. To eat well in Vegas you need to spend some money, it is not crazy expensive but more than you would pay at home.

Been to Otto? Share your experiences!