“Just about the best”

Ranked #141 of 5,275 Restaurants in Las Vegas
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Enterprise
Description: Las Vegas visitors and residents alike know that Michael's gourmet room has been one of the finest restaurants in all of Las Vegas. For over 30 years, this intimate, 50-seat gourmet room has earned accolades galore. Its many prestigious honors awarded by the country's premier restaurant reviewers and dining surveys attest to its excellence not only in menu but also in service and style. Michael's awards have included being named one of the Top 5 Restaurants in Las Vegas by the Zagat Survey. It received the Four-Diamond Award for Exceptional Cuisine, Excellent Service, and Elegant Dining Atmosphere from the American Automobile Association, the Award of Excellence from Distinguished Restaurants of North America, and the Finest Gourmet Restaurant recognition from the Las Vegas Review-Journal Readers' Poll.
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Steak houses always come to mind when you talk about the "greatest" dinners you have had: Mastro's, Delmonico's and a few hidden gems one finds while traveling. But to have had a first class, top notch steak house in Vegas and we didnt even know it is a crime! Our business associate invited us to dine here while we were attending convention and I (naturaly) looked it up on TA. The reviews seemed a bit exagerated and over the top, but they were not! This restaurant is everything a five star restaurant should be.
Aside from all the crackers and antipasto and chocolates and fruit that are freely served through the meal the actual food is amazing. Crab cocktail, jumbo shrimp on ice, lobster cocktail, clams, oysters mussles...yes we tried them all. Then a succulent (and I dont use that term loosely) filet mignon washed down with SEVERAL bottles of 2006 Banfi Brunello, only to be capped off with real NY cheescake and real Key Lime Pie...oh my my.
My only suggestion is to relax and enjoy the service, dont rush and for pete's sake...wear loose clothes.

3  Thank LiliyG

Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband and I had the pleasure of recently celebrating our daughter's 30th birthday at this truly fine establishment. The quality of this old fashioned fine dining is sadly missing in today's market. Whilst it was an expensive evening, every attention to detail to make the evening perfect for our family was certainly met. The portion sizes of the appetizers and mains were huge and way beyond our capacity, however, we were very respectfully offered the option (which we took) to take the remains home. The wine list was excellent, the desert selection ample and the wait staff exemplary. We shall certainly return for another special occasion. (This establishment is not suitable for children under 12 yrs).

5  Thank AustraliaBoo
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I don't remember hearing about Michael's, but my husband and I started noticing the billboards. With our wedding anniversary approaching, I researched Michael's on-line. I found that AAA gives them 4 diamonds; and Zagat's has rated Michael's as "one of Las Vegas' top five restaurants" every year for the past five years. The menu looked somewhat limited, but what they offer sounded good. There were no prices on the menu which concerned my husband. I convinced him they probably just don't put the prices on-line in case they change a price; few websites are kept current. We were able to make a reservation on-line through Open Table. When I made the reservation, I included a note that we would be celebrating our wedding anniversary.

Walking into Michael's was an absolute delight! In the midst of the garish hotel/casino, there were a few marble steps leading to a large dark wood door etched with architectural detail. As soon as we stepped inside, we were transported back in time. Michael's is done in dark wood; the upholstery is deep red -- very old school. It is intimate -- it only accomodates 50 people. There were some tables in the middle, but tall booths filled the perimeter of the room.

We were seated immediately and the maitre'd offered to hang our coats. I can't remember the last time someone in a restaurant offered to hang my coat! They pulled the table away from the banquette so that I could slide in easily, then did the same for my husband. Our water glasses were immediately filled with bottled water and, within a minute or two, someone delivered a generous relish tray as well as pumpernickel bread with parmesan.

I can't tell you how many waiters, head waiters and bus staff waited on us -- yet they were not intrusive. Neither water glass ever reached half empty.

My husband asked for Jack Daniels with water; I asked for a glass of Pinot Noir. Both drinks were delivered within just a couple of minutes. The Jack Daniels has just a splash of water. The Pinot Noir was served in a very large red wine glass engraved with Michael's logo and "30th anniversary." It seems Michael's was at the Barbary Coast for 25 years, then moved to the South Coast five years ago at which time, apparently, Zagat's begin rating it. The Pinot Noir was very good (not the best I've ever had; but it was very good) and the pour was generous. (Good thing -- Now that I'm home, I see it was $19 a glass.)

The pumpernickel/parmesan bread was terrific; I tried to not eat too much of it. The relish tray had interesting items, including quail eggs, olives, cauliflower, pickles, small corn ears, jicima, and sweet peppers.

When we were ready for menus, I didn't see any prices. My husband made a comment about the price of something on the menu and I said "Where are you seeing prices? I don't see any prices." (Duh! We still hadn't figured it out.) He said "In front of each dish." That's when we realized that my menu didn't have prices. Just for fun, we tried to think back to the last time either of us had been in a restaurant in which the ladies' menus did not have prices. For me, I'm pretty sure it was the 1980's.

I ordered Shrimp de Diavolo as an appetizer. The shrimp were very large, and there were several of them. In my opinion, it should have been spicier. I recently had the Shrimp Diablo at Firefly and it was much spicier; and I remember La Collina's shrimp diablo as being too spicy fo rmy neighbor but perfectly spiced for me.

My husbnd ordered the cream of tomato soup. He said it's the best tomato soup he's ever had. I tasted it; I agree.

Between the appetizer and main courses, we were each served a small champagne glass with lemon sherbet. The head waiter poured Dom Perignon (no joke!) over the sherbet! It's been a long time since I was in a restaurant that served palate cleansers. Although I have been served sherbet between courses, I have never had champagne poured over it. As a dessert, yes; as a palate cleanser, no. I have been known to serve my guests lemon sherbet with champagne for a dessert, but always with a medium-priced champagne. It just seems wasteful to me to pour a fabulous champagne over sherbet, but.... Dom Perignon it was.

My husband ordered the special of the day -- bone-in filet. I now see that it was $96! It was very good, though, and we ate every bite. He had a $15 baked potato and a $22 glass of Cabernet Savignon. The steak came with a baked tomato (my favorite; yum) which was an unexpected surprise.

I ordered the tournadoes of beef and a glass of Cab. Although the beef was prepared as I requested (medium rare), I didn't especially care for it. The asparagus with hollandaise sauce, however, was excellent. The asparagus was crisp. I only ate 1/2 of one tornadoe. The beef came with one huge shrimp, which was a surprise. I told my husband I'd take my 2 pieces of meat and the shrimp with me in a doggie box. He asked me to not request a doggie bag. It seemed like such a waste. We compromised and agreed that, if offered a "to go" box, I'd accept; but I wouldn't request one. Well, the bus boy who cleared our plates did not offer. What a waste -- my entree was $76 and I left most of it on my plate. (Another couple left when we did and they had a "to go" bag with them. I'm still kicking myself!)

The head waiter brought us a piece of Grand Marnier cake, with a lit candle. He wished us a happy anniversary. We had a few bites of the cake but it was too rich -- even for a chocoholic like myself. The bus boy then brought out a huge bowl of fresh fruit and a sterling silver platter full of chocolate-covered fruit: a banana, pineapple, an apricot, two cherries, two strawberries, and something square, perhaps another piece of cake, again wishing us a happy anniversary. OMG! Now I was in 7th heaven!

Although we were not charged for the desserts or fruit, dinner for two was $350 before tip! I know that I have never spent so much money on dinner in my life. In fact, we've invited 6 friends to have dinner with us in the Kitchen Table Room at Buca di Beppo on three occasions and paid between $200 and $300 for eight people -- of course, the wine is "dago red," and the prices are plastered on the wall for everyone to see. But you see my point.

It was a fun experience to enjoy "old school" dining again. But neither my appetizer (shrimp de diavalo) or my entree (tornadoes of beef) was anything "to write home about." Considering this and the fact that dinner for two cost $415, I doubt that we'll ever go back. But money is relative. If you like old world dining and aren't put off by the prices, try it. You'll probably like it. Service was "par excellance."

8  Thank KSSeaB
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Great service, Marvelous Food and a feeling of opulence yet comfy. Well worth the price. My choice of restaurant to go for my birthday. The rack of lamb was excellent. Don't bother ordering appetizers or dessert because what the bring to the table as part of the dinner service is more than any one normal person can eat. A true Gournet experience.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

We dined this January 2013 in one of the last true gourmet rooms in Las Vegas. Originally located in the Barbary Coast and now at South Point, they took the original stained & leaded glass doors and dome to the new location and with the red velvet booths and dark woods, they look lovely. Each table has a red rose and the room is adorned with vases of dozens of roses. A dress code is enforced. Plan to spend a few hours to dine as you are not rushed at Michael's (we were there for 3 hours). We were seated, left to relax and then the relish tray and bread basket were received. When we finished with that, then the menus were presented. We were given plenty of time to look it over before the head waiter appeared to see if we had questions. We ordered Dover Sole, not seen on too many menus anymore, and it was pricey ($88) but sooo worth it. The "show" alone when it was presented was worth part of the price. Table-side preparation for the caesar salad ($25) proved they know a TRUE Caesar, chopping up the anchovies into teeny pieces, the raw egg, lemon etc. made for a great appetizer. Dover de-boned tableside as well, watching a head waiter perform a true art! Between courses a sorbet is presented with Dom P. champagne poured over the top. Asparagus grilled tableside and presented hot and tasty! Lastly, in true Old Vegas style, the pastry cart is wheeled to your table for a grand selection of cakes, pies and berries. Once again, table-side prep on the berries with chambord, as the liquor is set aflame and poured onto the berries. Just when we thought we were done, compliments of the restaurant, out comes a tray of chocolate dipped fruits and a whole fruit bowl!! The food was amazing with flavors and fantastic sauces. The service is impecible but not intrusive. Almost everyone in the restaurant has been there for 10+ years. Head waiters are there for around 20, and the other waiters assisting have 10 years or so, so they KNOW service. When I was there in June 2012, I dined alone and felt very comfortable, not rushed to turn the table over etc. and was there for about 1.5 hours during which time Coach K from Duke came in to dine. This is a great place to go to get pampered, treated well, enjoy amazing cuisine and spend a special evening or create a memory for a special event. Quite, cozy, welcoming and not "stuffy" like some gourmet places can be. As a concierge in Las Vegas for over 30 years, I know I can always count on Michael's.

2  Thank LasVegasConcierge