“Great Vegas find”

Ranked #24 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Westminster, CO
“Great Vegas find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at the Elara last month and I highly recommend it. The customer service we received from the minute we stepped out of our cab was fantastic. Everyone was very welcoming and the front desk check in was quick, easy and personable. Yes, you are asked about going on a tour which is the norm at timeshare properties, but when I politely declined they were very nice about it and didn't keep us any longer.

The rooms overall were typical Vegas and could use some cosmetic sprucing up, but I am sure the majority of the wear and tear put on the building was done before it was a Hilton property and I know from previous reviews they are working on improvements. That being said, our room was very clean and well cared for.

Hotel Elara is a fantastic Vegas find. It is smoke/casino free, fabulous pool, Starbucks in the lobby, connected to great shopping via the mall and a quick walk to the strip. We will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,489)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stayed at the Elara Hilton in October 2013 and had a not so good experience. If you look through the Elara reviews, mine will be there. I wrote and submitted a review to Hilton and boy what a run around I got in order to find someone to respond! I first got response from Hilton stating “since Elara is a Hilton Grand Vacation Club, your comments have been forwarded”. HGVC finally got in touch with me via email and apologized etc, etc and finally the Elara Hilton manager contacted me with apology for my “isolated incident and not reflective of the true spirit of the Hilton team” and offered an upgrade on my next stay which he would personally handle.
I attended a conference 16-18 April 2014 and thought I would take the manager up on his offer to “regain my trust” and so I booked the Elara Hilton for my Las Vegas conference. True to his word, I was bumped to a “premier level suite”.
As I drove up to the Elara Hilton, I noted that the bird poop was gone from the hotel face (refer to my Oct review). I arrived at Elara valet and my car was quickly met, valet took my bags and would bring them to my room when I called. Note: Elara valet parking is $15 a day – there is no free parking and self parking is pay per day.
Check-in went quickly enough and I was off to room 5517. One thing I do like about Elara, the security guard scans your room key before you get access to the elevators. This is a bit more secure (in my mind) than say the Wynn/Encore which asks to simply see your key.
Room 5517 was exact same layout as my previous stay. The room is a huge one-bedroom suite with a kitchen, dining area, wrap-around leather sofa, pushbutton controls to lower/raise the curtains, projection TV, king sized bed, whirlpool tub, washer/dryer and a bunch of TVs. The room still looks dated but it was clean and I still am blown away with 5 televisions in one hotel suite.
One negative about the room; the “vents” at the bottom of the floor to ceiling windows were open and would not close. Inspection and attempts to close them showed residue from multiple layers of duct tape. Fresh air is a good thing. However, these “vents” whistle and let in a lot of outside noise. Even on the 55th floor the street sounds made their way up through and into the room. I dealt with it because the view was pretty damn good from 55th floor overlooking Paris and the strip.
I do like that the Elara Hilton does not have a casino. However, there is a lot of pedestrian traffic through the hotel lobby to the garage. I assume the elevator based security guard is there to prevent security problems from said traffic. I also find the Elara to be well located if you want to mosey down to Planet Hollywood and play black jack or walk over to the strip etc.
The Elara Hilton is NOT comparable to Wynn/Encore or even Trump. Overall not a bad stay. Were my socks knocked off? No. Was I surprised? No. Would I book/stay at the Elara again? Maybe. I may try out the other Hilton Grand Vacation Club property further down the strip on my next business trip to Vegas.

Room Tip: Book a high level floor away from the elevators and that DOES NOT face the airport or on the Harmon...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank BobbyD6363
hiltongrandvacations, Manager at Elara by Hilton Grand Vacations, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us and I appreciate the opportunity to stay with us on a return visit. I am glad to have read that we were true to our word on your return stay and we were able to provide you with a suite that would suit your needs. We are looking into the vents inside the rooms as it is always nice to get some fresh air inside the room but it is also important to get a good night’s sleep as well. We do offer complimentary self-parking in the Miracle Mile Garage which is conveniently connected to our Resort. I do hope that we see you on a return trip and if not our sister Resort down the street is a fantastic property as well that I am sure you will enjoy.

Stephen J. Arent
Assistant General Manager
Napa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

While steps away from the ridiculousness of the Las Vegas strip, this hotel is a calm oasis in the midst of the crazy. Like the other Hilton Grand Vacation properties, it’s family friendly, with no casino and a non-party-scene pool. (At least there were no parties while we were there, mid-week in the spring.) Don’t be scared by the timeshare stigma that you may read in other reviews. Yes, when you check in they lead you over to the “concierge,” who offers you rewards for attending a timeshare presentation. They will accept your “no” without applying any pressure. Or say “yes” (as we have done in the past) if you have an hour and a half to spare—the rewards are nice (we chose buffet passes among other perks). In either case, all the staffers we encountered were friendly and helpful. Check-in was easy, and even though our friends (who had reserved the rooms) had not arrived, they let us into our room without flinching. We loved the modern, almost hip room, with floor-to-ceiling windows, remote-control window shades, and bed with “pleather” headboard. We liked that the shades provided nearly blackout conditions during the daytime, but we wished that there were also sheers to provide privacy when we wanted the shades open. At first we thought the room was going to be noisy, because it had a stuck-open vent slit at the base of the window, letting in sound from the streets below. But upon calling the front desk, the maintenance guys came up within minutes and unstuck it so that it could close. From then on the room was nice and quiet. (Maintenance and other staff were super-prompt several more times for us as well.) The room safe in the closet was an ample one.
Our kitchenette featured a small refrigerator, and a microwave with convection, so you could do regular (non-microwave) baking if you wanted to. I couldn't find ice on our floor, so I called the front desk. They explained that the nearest machine was on the 50th floor, so I just had to go up and see the view from there. (I think the hotel has 65 floors altogether.)
The bathroom had a tub/shower with the out-curving curtain rod that we like so much, and shaving mirrors both at the mirror and in the shower. Bath products provided were Peter Thomas Roth, which I liked very much. Water pressure was good, but not stellar. We thought that the hotel must have a water softening system, because the water had that nice silky feel to it. Two things that were missing: a bathroom fan, and a full-length mirror.
There's a fitness room on the 4th floor, which was well equipped with bikes, treadmills, machines, and a few free-weights. Showers and lockers are available too, but I don't know how one gets a key to the lockers. The view out the windows was of a close wall, but it at least lets in light.
The hotel’s free wifi worked great in the room, but on-and-off at the pool. There were separate logins for room wifi and lobby/pool wifi, so they must be on separate routers.
After exploring our room, we took a look at our friends’ adjoining 2-bedroom suite. (One other room besides ours could also be connected, for a total of 4 bedrooms.) But oh my! Our 35th-floor view, looking south, was great, but theirs was a western-facing strip view from the end of the building, providing a 270-degree vista. A pink-glass bump-out provided a somewhat bizarre, but very cool, “rose-colored glasses” view sitting room. Since they shared their living space with us, we enjoyed a full kitchen, dining and living room, and video projector. And of course just staring at the views by day or night—be sure to see my pics.
We enjoyed pool time each day with the kids. Towels are provided at the pool, and food is available to order for snacks or lunch. The hotel lobby has a Starbucks, and the adjoining Miracle Mile Mall puts many restaurants steps away, some of which are very reasonable for the strip area. Many of them also offer food to go, if you would rather eat back in your oasis. Essential supplies, including some groceries, are conveniently available at the ABC store in the mall, or Walgreens on the nearest corner of Las Vegas Blvd and Harmon Ave. Walk to either in about 5 minutes.
I must compare this property with the other HGV hotel we have stayed at, on the north strip. The advantage of HGV North is that it’s away from the heart of the strip. The advantage of Elara is that it’s right in the heart of the strip. It’s really a matter of preference, between convenience and peacefulness, excitement and tranquility, hip luxury and homey comfort. In either case, both provide a calm, family-friendly oasis in the crazy that is Las Vegas. We love them both, and deciding on which to use next time may require a roll of the dice.

Room Tip: I don't think there would be a bad view in this hotel. Of course, the higher the better.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank B_Pope
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

We had a ball here. Traveling with two energetic boys means that hotels are sometimes hard work to keep the noise down and entertain them.

Everything about this hotel was great. Free parking, right on a shopping mall, non-smoking and no casino, walk out onto the strip, the spectacular view from the 53rd floor, block out shades of the floor to ceiling view of the strip which then turn into a home theater and the great two person spa.

Would recommend a stay here for anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Cylie W
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

We had a 1-bedroom 400 sq-ft suite with a sink, fridge and microwave. the view is great with floor to ceiling glass window. I can see MGM from the North, Mandarin Oriental, Aria,Cosmo. Peris, Cesar P., Venetian, Palazzo, Trump,Wynn, the newest, highest ferris wheel in the world and even Hard Rock Cafe and some others smaller ones off the Strip. The electric shade keeps the room very dark for a good sleep. The king bed is the one that you won't feel any movement when your partner moves on the other side. The bedroom itself is well insulated that when I was watching TV in the sitting room, my wife did not hear the volume from the TV while she was sleeping. That was not the case for all other 1-bedroom suites we had before. At least Marriot Residence Inn is not as well-insulated. The door to the suite is super heavy. I guess it is because of its sound-proof property to the outside hallway. The hotel is located inside and above the Miracle Mile shops. There are a few restaurants inside. One of them offers $3.95 breakfest with coffee $1 extra. If buffet is too much in the morning, that is a good place to go. Starbuck is in the hotel lobby. The ABC store sells wines, juice and sandwiches at reasonable price. Planet Hollywood casino is just steps away. The buffet is there also. Walgreen is right there if you forgot your medicine. I will definitely come back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a free up-grade during non-peak season. If they offer you an up-grade to a 1000 sq-ft suite and...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mlam18
Barrie, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

Have stayed 3 times now and it is definitely our choice during our trips to Vegas. Great location with easy access to bus stops for The Deuce and The Express. Attached to Miracle Mile Mall (ABC Stores open for food etc). Best part is that there is a microwave, fridge and dishwasher if needed so you can stock up on drinks etc and have somewhere to store and heat up leftovers. Very secure at elevator entrance and no Resort Fees added on! Starbucks with free WiFi right in the resort!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Grand Vacations

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

Stayed at the Elara during a recent business trip to Vegas. I was quite happy overall! Here's my breakdown of the pros/cons:

Pros:
- Competitive pricing (accepts military rates, too).
- Hilton property (so you can get/use your HHonors points here)
- Non-smoking!!! :) :)
- Family friendly
- Spacious, modern, clean rooms
- Cheap valet parking ($15/night)
- Good location (just a few mins walk to the strip...hotel is also connected to the Miracle Mile)
- Great views from the rooms!
- Nice, calm pool area, that also includes cabanas, if desired, as well as a nice bar and poolside servers
- Great concierge service
- No long lines at the front desk
- No gambling on site (some may see this as a con)

Cons:
- No on-property dining (room service is available, but there is no place you can go to eat without going to the strip or into the Miracle Mile shops)
- Older/family scene...not a place for singles or folks looking to mingle
- Limited bar scene on property
- Have to wait for taxis

Overall, it really is a nice place and I have no major complaints. However, I think I would only stay here on business trips (or as part of a timeshare, where you get a big room with a kitchenette). There just isn't enough activity at night for the younger crowds on vacation. But again, that is part of the arrangement here...quieter, non-smoking, non-gambling, family-friendly place. Check it out if you like the less crazy Vegas setup...you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Sted