“2nd Time Even Better”

Elara by Hilton Grand Vacations
Ranked #21 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Okay, so we'd stayed here earlier this year and we loved it so much, we went back again (7/3-7/5--this time with our kids, "16" & "10"). We actually had to talk ourselves out of visiting beautiful San Diego again, and one reason Las Vegas won (but doesn't it always?) was the Elara.

If you have kids--or even if you don't--there aren't too many hotels out there that give you as much a "cool factor" for your money as the Elara does. From the minute we first spotted it as we were on the strip---tall, sleek, glass building--the anticipation began.

We parked for free in the covered garage (btw, the lobby entrance is on the 3rd parking level, so keep that in mind if you've got several bags and don't intend on using valet) carried our bags down one flight of stairs--since we didn't know about the 3rd floor connection--walked into lobby and saw the long line--no problem. Being HHonors members, we have our own, shorter line. I've said it before and it's worth repeating: take the one or two minutes and sign up to become a member of your favorite hotel chain's loyalty program--it's free, you get little perks with just about every stay (from a free paper to room upgrades) and as you build up points--all depending on the frequency of your travel--you can get a free night or save them to take a dream vacation for free!! We stay mostly at Hilton hotels, but also belong to a few other chains as well for those times when Hilton hotels aren't available.

Speaking of upgrades, this was the one thing that disappointed me. When we visited in February, we received an upgrade from a studio room to a 1BR suite (due to "Gold" status), so naturally, I booked a studio again, hoping for the upgrade. Imagine my (unpleasant) surprise when I was told that they no longer offered the free upgrades for Gold members (all I could think was "no soup for you!"). However, a "Gold" perk was that the cost of the upgrade was discounted so we paid it in order to stay in a way more spacious and cooler room than the studio would've been. In fact, taxes included, and the fact that it was July 4th, the total we paid was around $370 for both nights--not a steal, but not unreasonable.

So why was the extra cost worth it? Why would you choose 115 degrees over 75 degrees? Why bring your kids to Vegas? If you read the review from our February trip, you can see how excited I was--and I'm old! Imagine how the boys reacted to a suite on the 50th floor, with 5 tv's--including the 12' HD projection and the one in the bathroom--shades that opened automatically when we first entered the room, the jet tub right next to the bed; walking right out into a mall and through the casino; and what ended up being an awesome private viewing area for the July 4th fireworks put on by Caesar's Palace (way cool seeing their entire building "disappear" as they turned off all outside lights just prior to starting the show).

Sure they weren't jumping on the bed and screaming like the (younger) kids in the suite next to us were, but by the amount of pictures they each took, you can tell they won't soon forget their "high roller" suite in Vegas! We all had a wonderful time. They slept in the living room (pullout sectional) with their blinds up and we had our own, private bedroom. The gym is on 4th floor and surprisingly big and well equipped. The pool renovations were complete (pool was closed in February), but, also surprisingly, closed super early at 8pm--it was still light out, and in my opinion, they could have kept it open until at least 9pm. Keep that in mind if having fun at the pool is something you look forward to during vacation.

Btw, I plan to review this later, but if I don't get to it--go see the Mac King magic show. It's at Harrah's and totally 100% family friendly--we had an awesome time and "10" even got picked to help! There are many discounts available online/brochures/those half-price ticket places/Harrah's, etc. so try not to pay full price (although even at full price, it's more affordable than many other shows/attractions).

Room Tip: High floor and Bellagio (North?) side had great views. Book in advance and don't forget to put...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (6,766)

Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

I love everything about this hotel. The automatic shutters that make your room completely dark at a switch of a button or you can enjoy the city view from comfy bed. Whichever you prefer. The suite I booked had a jacuzzi in the room. Which was a plus! The rooms are really roomy . It's one of my favorite places to stay. It's easy to find too. Not sure how someone would not find parking when its clearly posted and seen in the front. The miracle is full of shops and restaurants.. like this place!!! :)))

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank lillian295
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We have visited this hotel for 2 nights with our 3 teenage children in early July 2013. For those coming to Vegas for the first time; be aware that there is no such thing as a hotel with a good or bad location on the Strip; in order to see the most important attractions you will have to do some walking from any hotel. We experienced day temperatures around 46°C- even crossing the street was challenging... The Elara is seperated to the Strip by a shopping mall ("Miracle Mile"); the entrance of the Hotel is in the mall (of course, you will also find a casino in the mall!). It will take you 5 minutes from the lobby to the Strip-exit of the mall, facing the Bellagio (fountains, central on the strip).
We had a 2-room suite, very spacious, with 2 bathrooms & 2 large beds and a sofabed, situated on the 52th floor (which in reality was probably the 20th floor) with a wonderful view on the Strip & the airport yet quitely located compared to some other hotels. Clean room,TV with large projector, washing machine/tumble dryer, safe, whirlpool, full kitchen... name it, it was there. Paid 300$ per night, which I found good value for the quality offered. No resort fee aplicable, which is another plus.
No restauarant available in the hotel, but breakfast, lunch and dinner opportunity in the adjacent mall. Outdoor pool very shallow (only +/- 1m deep!). Efficient check-in and check-out. Free self parking. Would stay here again.
When considering other options, please be aware that the Circus Circus is quite a walk from the rest of the hotels; same is valid for the Mandalay Bay & Luxor, although these 2 offer a free shuttle train to the closer Excalibur. If you like to use the monorail system; 6$ per ride is quite a rip off if you are a party of 5...

Room Tip: 2-room suite sleeps 5 persons easily.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2013

As Hilton Vacation Timeshare Owners, I think we waited an excessive amount of time..... 5 hours +.... to get our room especially after arriving at 10am....we ended up checking in at 3:45pm....way too late. They need to hire more maids to get the rooms cleaned faster. The room was spacious but had a sickening smell of perfume and sweat...perhaps the carpets need to be changed. The bed was amazingly comfortable but the pressure on the shower head was weak. Overall it was Okay but wouldn't stay there again....

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Grand Vacations
1  Thank Martha S
hiltongrandvacations, Manager at Elara by Hilton Grand Vacations, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Thank you for sharing your comments with us as every comment is invaluable to our Operation. We do guarantee to have rooms available to check in by 4pm but it does appear that we could have communicated better to you on how long the room was going to take when you first arrived and provided you with options. We do reserve the best rooms for our valued HGV and Westgate owners in the morning which is why they might take a bit longer so that we can provide you with a “like new” room when you check in. This is why it is a bit disheartening that your room did not smell fresh. I am glad that you loved our bed and I hope that you do decide to offer us another chance in exceeding your expectations. If you would like to contact me directly regarding your recent stay or about the Resort in general, I can be reached at sarent@hgvc.com

Stephen Arent
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Just stayed here with my youngest and loved everything about this property. We had a 1 bedroom suite that was HUGE. It had a great view, was very quiet and was a great location. Loved having a kitchen with full size fridge/freezer. Having a blender, iron, and washer/dryer made it perfect for us. Great pool, security prior to entering elevators, great staff, great location. Had stayed at PH on last trip while several friends stayed here, it was a no brainer for us this time. When we return to Vegas we'll definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for view of the Eiffel tower!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Mokimomma2
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stayed here twice in one week. The first time was a great experience. I paid with HHonors points the first time and I was placed on the 35th floor in a nice 1 bedroom suite. Everything went well. I left for a different city and came back on a Wednesday night. When I arrived the man at the front desk blatantly lied to me about available rooms. I asked for a high floor, which is something in my hotel preferences in the MyWay section. He said there were only rooms available on the 7th floor. I know he lied because 20 minutes later a coworker checked in and they gave him a room on the 35th floor. Doing as much business travel as I do, the high floor thing is just one of those small perks that makes living out of a suitcase a bit more bearable.

There are no Diamond perks at this hotel other than free wifi, but honestly.... its 2013, every hotel should have free wifi for every guest. There is no restaurant at this hotel, but they do have room service. If the room service lasted longer ie. past 10pm, it would be a helpful option.

The rooms are great. I stayed in a 1BR suite for both of my stays and they were both identical. The 8' projector is a nice touch with that personalized welcome screen.

I guess the only other complaint I have is the parking. Valet is cheap here (I think $15 for 24 hours), but I needed to do self parking for as much in-and-out's as I would be doing for work. The self-park parking lot shares with the shopping mall next door, and it is at times VERY difficult to find a spot to park in, so keep that in mind.

Overall, I would stay here again. It is just such a pet peeve of mine to be lied to by a hotel employee.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, but don't expect much!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank James G
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel for 4th of July weekend. Parking was horrible, it took us 45 minutes just to find parking! We had to go through the miracle mile shops to get to the actual hotel and practically missed the entrance because there was no sign saying that we were at the hotel. from the mall all you see is the bar, as first timers at the hotel how were we suppose to know that was entrance? Upon checking in and getting into our room, I went to place items in the fridge only to find that there was 2 OPEN, HALF DRUNKEN WATER BOTTLES LEFT IN OUR FRIDGE! Seriously? I'd hate to know how long it had been sitting in there for! To make the situation better, I found TOILET PAPER STILL SITTING IN THE BOWL!!! I called the front desk to let them know what happened and I was told to come back down to the check in desk, we did only to be told to go back up to our room because a manager had to check out the "situation" and that one would be up in 5 minutes. After 30 minutes of waiting for a manager to come, I called the front to see what was going on. Apparently something "came up" and that she will be in our room in another 5 minutes. Okay. I waited for another 15 minutes before she came, at this time we had to CANCEL our prior plans because of this waiting around mess! A manager FINALLY came up with a house keeper and was very rude! She asked, "So do you want us to reclean the room?" I am absolutely livid and I said "no, I want a different room!" to which she replied, "I cant do that, we are booked. All we can do is clean it." NOT MY PROBLEM!!! THE ROOM SHOULD'VE BEEN CLEANED IN THE FIRST PLACE! The front desk called our room to tell us that another room can not be accommodated and we were given free wifi, WHICH DID NOT WORK! A staff member was nice enough to bring us complimentary champagne and snacks, which was very nice, however, I am allergic to alcohol. Still, an appreciated gesture. We have stayed at various Hilton hotels anywhere from San Diego to San Francisco, and by far, this was terrible! The room itself was decorated nicely and its in an ideal location, but behind this façade and bells and whistles, the room is straight up dirty. I work in a business that strives on customer service and I was mortified to be treated this way! Absolutely NO idea of what true customer recovery is about.

Room Tip: make sure your room is cleaned thoroughly.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank cheryl s

I appreciate your review and am embarrassed how your unit was upon your arrival. We do have a detailed checklist of everything the Housekeeper must check and it definitely appears that many areas were missed. I do understand that sometimes things go wrong and for me it is how we respond to the matter and how we take care of it. In your situation we obviously did not handle it well and I do apologize for that. I will however take this to my team so we can learn from our mistakes so that we can improve to meet our goal of exceeding all of our guest’s expectations.

Stephen Arent