“Huge swag rooms at a bargain. Stay one before they’re gone.”

Elara by Hilton Grand Vacations
Ranked #20 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed March 31, 2013

The pictures already posted by others tell well the story of the 850 sq. ft. 1 bedroom apartment stayed for two nights during NASCAR weekend. A red leather corner sectional seating seven (and housing a queen sleeper). Floor-to-ceiling views of the Strip from the living room and also from right next to the king bed. A HUGE Jacuzzi 24 inches from that bed, with mirrors on three sides. Five TVs. Including a 12-foot wide projection screen that drops to cover the living room window to receive the projection TV. A combo washer/dryer under the bathroom sinks. A full size kitchen/fridge and a dining table for six. All done up in very retro-swank styling. Warhol-styled artwork of Marilyn Monroe. Even some zebra fabric seating -- long live El Morocco! Put it all together and you get a top competitor for best entry-level room in town. And the property is basically off-the-radar, so pricing is amazing. Too bad these rooms are scheduled for a design dumb-down in the near future. Why, you ask? Well, like much of what has been built to become Las Vegas, there’s a backstory to it.

This tower, and these rooms, debuted next door to Planet Hollywood in 2009 as “PH Towers Westgate.” Westgate was then a huge time-share operation, and it had the vision to swag up these rooms ever-so nicely. Unfortunately the timing was bad, as it debuted directly into credit markets seized-up from The Great Recession. No credit lines equaled no time-share sales, leading to Westgate having to sell off the property. (That story is told in detail, btw, in the second half of a 2012 film titled “The Queen of Versailles.”) The new owners affiliated with Hilton Grand Vacation Clubs in 2012 and rechristened the property Elara. Accordingly, the new target market for these rooms is Joe CompanyMan, burning up all the HiltonHHonors points he accumulated while on the corporate treadmill. As they sit, these rooms are judged by Hilton as being way too Austin Powers to suit such tastebuds, so they are slowly being “Hilton-ized” -- that is, being blanded down into various shades of taupe. Let us hope that at least the projection TV and Jacuzzi survive.

This is, officially, a non-gaming, non-resort property. Downstairs is a smallish hipster-looking bar, a nook with about twenty tables to deal out breakfast fare … and that’s about it. The good news is that its lobby is next door to a showroom (The Saxe Theater) and also opens up to one end of the Miracle Mile shopping area, that in turn leads into the Planet Hollywood casino. So Elara does mimic a full casino/resort property better than you might first think.

Service is mostly well-above average; the staff holds a solid customer orientation. Upon arrival, I was informed that 300,000 NASCAR-heads in town had created a full valet … and I was not even offered an opportunity to bell the luggage. Instead, I was directed to self-park and to look to end up in Section 3e or so, that being near an entrance to the Elara main desk. What I found in self-park was a game of automobile Russian roulette, a hundred-or-so cars jockeying for the next vacated space in the entire deck. After 30 minutes and 10 laps around the track, I opted to hover at the top floor, far corner, section 5z … and eventually scored. Then I had to schlep the luggage to an elevator that deposited me somewhere into the far end of the shopping area. And into a lot more schlepping. When I hit the front desk nearly an hour after I first arrived, I politely advised my clerk Ray of my valet odyssey, expressing the hope that my room assignment would fare better. That, layered upon my Hilton HHonors status, led to an upgrade to Room 5309, the aforementioned 850 square feet, three floors down from the top floor and possessing just about the best view available from the property. Thank you Ray, you are so Vegas! Throughout my stay, I found room service, bell - as well as subsequent valet service - to be equally fawning.

Hilton HHonors members: This is a Cat 9 property and as such it stands tall above the other three redemption properties in town. I’ve stayed at two of them -- and toured the third. If you can’t swing a redemption at Elara, then HGVC Strip/LV Boulevard is your second best choice for room quality; on the Strip yes, but far away from the action. HGVC at The Flamingo is second best for location. Save off-Strip HGVC at LVH for last dance; it’s a hike over to LVH … and grapevine has it that there’s good reason why LVH recently lost its Hilton branding.

Unless you absolutely have to stay five-star, this is an excellent venue for you to consider. The location, mid-South Strip, is pretty desirable. For now, at least, the rooms are ever-so swag. And pricing is high-bang-for-buck; it’s off the radar because (1) it’s pretty new, (2) it’s only listed in a few of the usual marketing channels, (3) there’s not a single coupon code available anywhere in the entire Solar System and (4) on the face of it, it’s a non-gaming, non-resort property.

RECOMMENDATION: Get ‘em while they’re hot!

Happy Motoring !

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank DoctorQuality
hiltongrandvacations, Manager at Elara by Hilton Grand Vacations, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Wow! Thank you for the Hollywood’esque depiction of our Resort. Anytime a guest can use swag when writing a comment is alright with me. Seriously though, I appreciate your comments regarding our rooms and rest assure that the projectors and Jacuzzis are staying! We are addressing some of the condition items that we currently have in the rooms with countertops and carpet but I hope that you try us out again once our renovation is complete. Our goal is still to provide an upscale, fun, and chic Resort but our days of being known as the place to wild party’s is definitely something of the past. I am sorry that our valet was full when you arrived and were not given an option to unload before entering the parking garage. We just recently added 25 more spaces to our valet area so that we can accommodate our guests that want to valet with us. Thanks again for the review and Happy Motoring to you as well!

There are newer reviews for Elara by Hilton Grand Vacations

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Staying at a Hilton Grand Vacation is not like staying at a Hilton. You forget a tooth brush... Don't go ask the front desk.

The rooms however are spacious and high end. I was checked into a king suite on the 24th floor. My room had a two person jacuzzi, a high end bathroom and kitchen. The living room had a window blind that lowered and turned into a massive tv screen. Great for sports watching and entertaining.

The hotel is attached to the Planet Hollywood and you can walk through the shopping enter to access the casino/restaurants.

Note: Hilton Diamond / Gold Members do not get free breakfast at this property.

The pool was under construction when I stayed. Some people were upset by this. I didn't g to sit by the pool, but check with the hotel if that is your thing.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor. But if you are presented with a suite on a lower floor or a regular room on a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BSmithVA
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed for a week and the pool opened during out stay opening day was March 30 yeah!. First day pool was open it was packed!. Love the sun and fun in Vegas. Suite was awsome more than enough space for me and my friends. Over all was great. Will be back.

Room Tip: Hotel will face Las Vegas Blvd. Rooms on each side of the building will face south or north of the s...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed at this property for four nights while in the area on business. I reserved a junior suite with a king bed at a rate of $89/night. I received a complimentary upgrade to a one bedroom suite.

This Hilton property is located central strip. It is attached to Planet Hollywood and the Miracle Mile Mall, each offering a plethora of shopping and dining options. The property is well marked but access to self parking can be a little challenging as the area is not accessible from the main check-in area. Guests should plan to enter the road just east of the main entrance and park as close as possible to floor three of the garage. This allows easy access to the hotel.

The exterior of the site was clean and the parking lot was well lit and in good repair. Despite construction in the area, the lobby space was clean and check-in was a breeze. The clerk was polite, cheery and helpful. Access to the elevators is security controlled, a nice touch in the Las Vegas market.

Elevator cabs and interior hallways were found to be clean and well lit. Suite bedding and furnishings were clean and in good repair. All standard amenities were found for the bath. Kitchen furnishings, televisions and washer/dryer all worked as advertised.

Housekeeping during my stay was pretty solid. I did call one day for bath soap and and shampoo as replacements were not left. This was quickly remedied by a quick call to housekeeping.

Check out was prompt as the folio was correct. I was thanked for my business and invited back.

Should the need arise, I would choose this property again. It provides an exceptional value in terms of space available and room quality at the price point.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank cburley
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This hotel may not be right on the strip and it may not have a casino but that's a bonus. It is quiet, extremely clean, has great views, affordable, modern decor, comfy king size bed, awesome and friendly staff and in this reviewers opinion, one of the best values in Vegas. And don't be worried about the location. It's attached to the Miracle Mile mall which is right on the strip and is super convenient. You can also choose to walk to the strip outside and it is a nice walk that will take mere minutes. Truly a great bang for the buck!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Saskcapers

Thanks for the great comments and I am so happy that you had a great time. It is funny that you called us a gem since that is what our name Elara stands for. (actually it is a rare cut of diamond) I have to agree that our location is ideal for someone here on business or leisure. We are a great option if you want to be close enough to the action but at the same time have the option to get away and relax.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

There are some extreme high and low points at this hotel, so I rated it average.

Low:
* The lobby and pool are currently under construction. The lobby was sparsely decorated and seems to suffer from an identity problem with streamed-lined modern lounge chairs mixed with traditional style sectionals.
* The pool was closed and there is no mention of this on their website or after making reservations. Once I found out about the closure (Thanks,Tripadvisor!), I asked to cancel my reservations, which was already past the cancellation period, and was told they could not do it without avoiding the penalties. They told me that we could use Planet Hollywood's pool, which was not an option for me as I was traveling with my 4-year old since it was packed with drunk spring breakers. This was very disappointing.
* The rooms were clean, but a little dusty. Enough to make my allergies act up.
* No telephone or TV express check out.

High:
* We had a 1 bedroom suite and it was huge!
* The projector attached to the TV was a nice treat.
* The huge tub was nice to have. The tubs are supposed to be a whirlpool, but ours did not work, which think is a problem other had (definitely a low).
* We stayed on the 25th floor, so the views were nice.

This hotel will be nice once the renovations are completed. With so many other hotel options in Vegas, I would wait before coming back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

I appreciate the kind words about our rooms and that you were happy with all of the amenities that come with reserving a 1 bedroom suite. Our pool closure was definitely something that was not planned on taking so long to open and unfortunately due to weather conditions; we had to push the opening date back just a bit. I am sorry that Planet Hollywood was not a good option for you and your son and hopefully you will give us another chance now that our pool is open. We are in the tail end of our lobby renovation and have just a few items left to complete. We have also just begun a room renovation project that will transform our rooms into a chic modern look that is just going to be phenomenal.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Spent a week in vegas staying here a few days and the Trop a few days and wish we would have skipped the trop and stayed here the entire week.

Great location, especially for a long stay. The inroom washer and dryer was great. We were treated great as diamonds and had an excellent view. My girlfriend loved the jacuzi type tub and I loved the tv set up:)

Plenty of places to eat at with the shops. Great location to the strip.

Staff was outstanding. No problem with my Hilton points posting or receiving the free wifi. Wifi worked great as well

Room Tip: Try for a higher up floor
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple