“Going through the motions, but they're amazing motions”
Review of David Copperfield

and up
David Copperfield at the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino
Ranked #43 of 222 Concerts & Shows in Las Vegas
More attraction details
Owner description: David Copperfield has been hailed by audiences and critics alike as the greatest illusionist of our time.He’s the first living illusionist to be honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. He was knighted by the French government. He received a Living Legend award from the Library of Congress. He’s won over 21 Emmy awards for his groundbreaking television specials, and he holds 11 Guinness World Records. Sound impossible? David Copperfield built a reputation on making the impossible look easy.
Dallas, Texas
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Going through the motions, but they're amazing motions”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Gf and I recently went to his show at the MGM Grand. I grew up watching David Copperfield on TV, and was always amazed by his magic, but to be very honest he wasn't our first pick for a magic show. We went the week before x-mas week, when most acts are taking holiday before big x-mas shows. I wanted to see Penn & Teller. Gf wanted to see Criss Angel. Neither were in town. We saw David Copperfield instead. I'm both glad we did, but also a tad let down.

I think what killed things a bit for me was that David himself seemed like he was just going through the motions. He talked very fast, making it hard to understand him at times. He would repeat himself very quickly to volunteers when giving them instructions, not taking into account that they're a bit shocked to get selected and needed to "perform". There was this air of cockiness and "I don't really care about you folks" attitude going on, like "I'm awesome, but I'm just going to rush through this b/c I have more important things to do." Granted, it must get old doing the same routine night after night, and David's always had an aire of cockiness. But seeing it in person detracted from live experience.

The other problem was the audience flat-out sucked, so maybe that's why David's attitude was a bit lackluster. David's tricks worked in layers. He do an "easy" version of something, then he'd ramp up the difficulty, then ramp it up again, and again, until his final trick of the one he was doing was so spectacular and jaw-dropping you couldn't help be amazed. But, folks in the audience were just sitting on their duffs not applauding or looking amazed. I was dumb-founded by the tricks David pulled, and was applauding loudly, but I seemed to be the exception not the norm. Maybe folks just aren't as amazed by magic these days? The dude made a car appear on stage (and that was just one layer to an already amazing trick!) Seriously, what does it take for you people to be impressed?

Show aside, servers will get you some drinks after you entered the theatre, but be prepared for some crazy prices (eg: $8 bottle of 16oz smirnoff ice... you can buy a 6-pack of smirnoff for that price). My gf's got a daquiri in a souvenir glass... $20. *cough* (nice glass, though... way better then the plastic POS we got from Medevial Times Dinner and Tournament).

Another thing that irked me was that David asked everyone in the audience to put their glasses under their tables before large inflattable balls were bounced around the room to randomly select some volunteers for a stunt. Some folks in the audience didn't speak english, and were confused. The asian couple next to me didn't know what was happening, so I put their glasses under the table for them. They smiled and nodded to thank me, since I got them up to speed on what was happening. However, everyone got so involved in the ball bouncing action that they forgot the glasses were there. The asian couple sat bag down... and knocked their half-full margaritta over spilling it all over the floor and the gentleman's shoe. I felt really bad, b/c I put it there for them, so I helped them wipe it up. Then I sit down... and kick over my own glass forgetting I put it there. It was just such a mess, and didn't seem well thought-out.

Overall, I was very impressed by David Copperfield. Do I have a childhood attachment to him? Not really. But, I did feel very childlike watching his show and being utterly amazed. The rest of the audience must have been watching some other show, though, b/c they were about as animated as stuffed hamsters. David's attitude killed it a bit for me, but I'd still say the show is definitely worth it. His tricks (it's an insult calling them "tricks", b/c they're very complicated) were just so layered you got taken by surprise when a new layer showed up on each one. Amazing!

As a side note, the Monte Carlo has his show going on in a theatre further into the hotel, past the casino section. If you've spent the day walking, and your dogs are barking, prepare for them to bark some more as you hobble through the casino to get there. (Ka was the same way, even further back into the hotel). But, that seems to be the norm for many hotels. They want you to get side-tracked by having you walk through as much gambling and action as possible. But once the show let out, and the next show was trying to come in, it was crazy getting through the crowd sifting through the casino.

Visited December 2013

• Turkish first
Chicago
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Master entertainer amazes audiences”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Somewhat smarmy attitude but still amazing show. I'm still wondering, "How did he do that?" Well worth the time. Check Tix4Tonight kiosks on the Strip for discounted tickets.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank DesertDan77
San Antonio, Texas
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“No magic here”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

My wife is easily pleased but I found this show slow and dated nothing wowed me. He does the show with the personally of a zombie but a Zombie would be worth watching.

Visited January 2013
3 Thank TheNavagator
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Wow what a performance!!”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Seen him two years in a row for my birthday couldn't have made my bday any better, best magic show I've seen.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Hayabusa661
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“A great showman and illusionist”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Although his show has been so many years live, and its buget is not the same than before, it's one of the best shows I've seen. He's a real showman - he know how to involve people in the show. Way better than Chris Angel's show.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank javiersolano

Been to David Copperfield? Share your experiences!