“Fantastic rooms, but not a good experience” 2 of 5 bubbles

Vdara Hotel & Spa
Ranked #12 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Calgary, Canada
“Fantastic rooms, but not a good experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2010

My partner and I just finished a four night stay. What a disaster! We arrived late on our first night (around midnight) and were told that our room still wasn't ready. The hotel suggested that we have comp drinks in the lounge while we waited. After waiting 30 minutes for our first round of drinks, it was last call. We ended up waiting an hour and a half for our room to be cleaned up, 9 hours after check in time!

On a positive note, the room was beautiful! Great bed and linens, large bathroom with a soaker tub and a large standing shower. Although it has a small kitchenette, don't expect anything stocked aside from coffee mugs. It would have been nice to have at least a couple plates and some utensils. The pool and spa are great! Nice and small compared to a lot of the other Vegas properties.

On our third night, the fire alarm went off at 2:00 AM and they evacuated the entire hotel. It was a mess and we did not receive any clear communication from the hotel on what was going on. My partner and I noticed that the fire alarm strobe lights in the hotel had turned off, which was the only signal that we had that we could go back in. About 30 minutes after we were back in the room, the management got on the PA system to say that the alarm had been resolved, waking us back up again. There were a total of eight such announcements, we didn't get back to sleep until 4:00 AM.

The hotel's response to each issue was lukewarm at best. With the room not being ready, I had to search out a manager to speak with. We agreed that a couples massage would be a good way to resolve the issue (unfortunately, they ended up booking us separately). With the evacuation, the hotel was still trying to figure out why the alarm went off and they were not providing any immediate compensation for the issue. Apparently they are working on a package for all the guests at the time. I would assume that this would be a discount on staying there again, which I have no plans to do.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank theburger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,324)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2010

Ok, I'll start eith the ultra smalls, when we arrived in the room the toilet was unclean and during the stay (once) we did not get our free water....with the toilet it was sorted within an hour or so (ie when we returned from the pool)and the water...big deal.
In all other respects we loved this place.

Checkin was almost immediate, the hotel was quiet so that did not surprise. The bags brought straight to room whcih had been upgraded to a Bellagio Fountain View. The place was so clean and fresh. I have to agree with many reports there really is no need for the kitchen area but as these were built with condo sales in mind I can see what they were trying to do.

The bathroom was great, no sign of the phantom low water pressure and the free toileteries were nice. The robes and slipper were a luxuruius touch. The bed was fantastic, when you travel half way around the world knowing that youll get a good sleep really helps. The HD TV was also great (I have to admit that I couldnt see the point of having two on either side but there were only two of us so we had no need to watch both at the same time)

The location is a little off the strip but not enough to concern us. A short walk and you are in Aria (3 mins tops), the handylink to Bellagio is great as well. You can walk easily to Crystals and Mandarin oriental (you must go for an expensive drink in their Sky Bay-fantastic views of the strip up and down) Once on the strip you are in the centre of everything. The city centre monorail was fun but not really that useful.

We did not eat at the hotel restaurant so cannot comment. We had a couple of drinks at the bar which was nice and quiet.

I had a spa treatement from the lovely Joan, the spa is good (I had it pretty much to myself).

Probably the best thing we liked about Vdara was the pool area, it was quiet enough (we were only there for 4 days midweek) to easily get seats, music was not too intrusive, bar service was fine and a chap kept coming round with free samples of 'slushies'. Food was pricey but really nice and arrived very quickly. We made sure we spent most of the day hours round the pool. Weather was perfect except wednesday pm which was very windy and the pool had to be closed for an hour or two, we had stuff to do so no problem.

As a base we were able to get passes into Haze (fab night!!), tried the Aria buffet and Bellagio (I thought Aria was better as it was cleaner - Bellagio's smelled foisty and looked like it needed a lick of paint), we ate at Beso (v good) and went to Eve Nightclub (we went on the Mexican Independence Day and the music was not to our taste but it was ok). The Todd English P>U>B joining Aria and Crystals was great, pint of Newcastle Brown!! although the barman was lost when we asked for a half of lager, he half filled a pint glass up!! and it became our regular place to catch a quick drink sitting at the bar, it did food as well whcih we did not try but it seemed lively all the time with a good atmosphere, more Cheers than the Red Lion but a good place to go.

To sum up...We've stayed at Encore before and it is better, not by a mile but just better. Vdara is good value for money( note to stay at Encore for the same nights was about £200 more so the extra cost for the pricier drinks etc was easily balanced up) but not cheap if you want cheap stay somewhere else. Vdara has a fresh feel to its and is quiet but close enough to get into the action without too much difficulty. Its a great place and we are already considering our next visit and its high on the list of places to stay. City Centre has its critics (Aria PLEASE loosen the slots) but the feel and architecture in my opinion will stand the test of time and in a years time will be a firm favourite for long distant and US tourists alike.

Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2010

If you are wanting a smoke-free, quiet but central hotel, then this is the place.
I choose this hotel as I wanted a really nice Vegas experience, and the other 5-star hotels seem to be showing their age (based on other tripadvisor reviews). I wasn't disappointed - this place was great, and even my hard-to-please boyfriend was impressed. Because we preferred smoke-free, it was a toss-up between Signature at MGM Grand and Vdara - Vdara won out because it was newer and I think better-located.

In summary - we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely recommend to anyone wanting smoke free and a quiet retreat but still central to the rest of the Vegas action. Staff friendly, rooms and lobbies beautifully appointed and well-maintained, what more could you want! No issues with service or staff.

Aria casino and restaurants is only 2 mins walk away if you need a casino. If we come back to Vegas, we will definitely stay here again.

Lobby:
Being a brand new hotel, the lobby is beautifully decorated, perfumed with something heavenly, and very pleasant to be in. We checked in on a Sunday afternoon, and there were 2 people in front of us. (Later that afternoon we wandered past Caesar's Palace - there was a queue of 100 people waiting to check in). Checkin was quick and efficient. Yes there's a $15 resort fee but that seems to be standard at this level of hotel. We booked a Vdara suite (via Travelocity) and were hoping for an upgrade (as previous reviewers were lucky to get!) but unfortunately not this time - maybe we stayed too long (5 nights). Ask for a higher floor to get the best views.

Vdara suites have a choice of City or Mountain views (no strip views, apparently) - we chose City views and got room 52005 on the 52nd floor. Not sure what the mountain view looked like, but the city view was mesmerising. We could see the back of the Luxor (see photo) and a few of the strip hotels. In the corridor outside our room, we could see the Bellagio fountains at night. Every night I would turn off all the room lights just to look at the view - very calming.

Either Vdara is a hidden gem that not many people know about, or it's not doing so well - the lobby was one of the quietest i've seen on the strip, we never saw any other guests on our floor and only sometimes had to share a lift. Lift by the way is very quick for 50 floors! So nice to come back to Vdara every night after the hustle and bustle of the Bellagio.

Room:
Room was beautifully appointed. This suite comprised an open plan living-dining-kitchen area, a king-sized bedroom with desk, and a bathroom with shower and bath. All three rooms had 180-degree views, and being on 52nd floor, you could even use the bath to enjoy the view without any worries.

There were 2x 42" TVs and a media hub that output HDMI as well as charging ipods etc. Great selection of HDTV channels. Wifi internet only (there was a ethernet cable but it didn't seem to have internet access). In-room safe is vertical which means laptops/netbooks need to be standing up.

Sofa and seats weren't that comfortable, although i think the sofa was a foldout queen bed which could explain the hardness.

Blinds and blackouts electronically controlled - although black-out had a couple of gaps. We slept really well but there was a weird fan noise on one side of bed that wouldn't turn off with the air-conditioning. I didn't get around to asking about it so can't complain.

Downside would be the kitchen amenities - Keurig coffee maker provided but standard package of sachet cremer sugar and plastic stirrer provided. No teabags (I'm a teadrinker, but had brought my own) and had to request a kettle for boiling water (Later on i figured out how to do this with the coffee maker). Despite providing a fully-functioning kitchen suite, only mugs and glasses are provided. Would have been nice (given quality of rest of hotel) to have provided plates and knives and forks etc - we often came back with a dessert or leftovers, but nothing to eat them with. When I checked in, I did ask for the kitchen to be stocked but this request was never filled - after day 2 i figured i probably wasn't going to cook anything so didn't request again, but plates would have been nice anyway. Even a dishcloth would have been useful.

There is a working dryer and washer - but no detergents. While Bellagio has a couple of shops neither stocked washing liquid or fresh milk. The CVS has a much better selection of snacks and stuff. I ended up buying a bottle of Tide and hopefully leaving it for the next guests. (CVS is best located by catching a tram to Monte Carlo, and walking through casino to the strip, and it's on the left as you exit Monte Carlo). You can try going by Bellagio & strip but that requires crossing two road walkways and takes longer).

Bathroom:
Quality fitout, two sinks and nice Aveda toiletries that were always well replenished. Towels still lovely and soft. Almost forgot, our suite had a 'guest' toilet as well - having 2 bathrooms came in handy sometimes!

Location
We didn't have a car so can't comment on valet parking. This hotel is located behind the Bellagio (a 2-min walk) but probably about 10 minutes from the strip by the time you navigate Bellagio's lobby corridors. It's a 2 min walk to the free tram that runs between Bellagio and Aria/Crystals and Aria/Monte Carlo. Or it's just a 2min walk to Aria, where there's a casino and lots of eating places. I felt this was really centrally located, smack-bang in the middle of the strip - you have to do lots of walking in Vegas anyway if you want to see stuff. The bus that goes up and down the strip (the gold ones go to the Premium Outlet more) departs from Paris across the strip, and drops off at Bellagio on the way back and costs $3 for a 2-hour pass, or $7 for a 24 hour pass.

We never go to try the restaurant or bar as we were often out and about. We did use the Aria buffet a couple of times and charged it back to the room which was handy. Standard buffet fare there ($15 for breakfast, $27 for dinner I think - dinner included king-crab legs).

Also didn't use the pool as it got really windy and cold the week we were there. It looked nice though! Didn't use gym or spa either.

Service was great. The housekeeping was really efficient and friendly, tidied up all our mess every time and always replaced anything we'd used up. I was a little worried given some of the other comments on tripadvisor, but no issues whatsover.

We had a great stay and I would thoroughly recommend, especially if you get a good rate. We used travelocity and got a nice rate of $1060 for 5 nights (Sun thru Thurs) for Vdara suite including flights from SFO (baggage and resort fee extra).

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2010

I have worked in the hotel industry and this place IS TERRIBLE!
My best friend and I decided to take a short trip to Vegas for our birthdays. She lives in Seattle and I live in LA, so I drive, pick her up at the airport in Vegas and we excitedly proceed to check in at the Vdara. We chose this hotel because of the non-smoking and non-casino atmosphere. First, we couldn't FIND it. We could SEE it but getting on the road to FIND it was ridiculous. Lotsa u-turns later, we pull up. I don't like valeting my car. I was FORCED to valet. Then the check-in line was almost OUT the front door. After TWO HOURS we finally get to the desk. By this time it's 5:30. We drove up at a little after 3!!!!!!!!!!

-- In part here is a complaint letter I sent to Jim Murren Chairman of the Board and CEO of MGM Las Vegas (who I might add WAS one of MY clients at a 5 star hotel not so long ago...
-- Navigating the maze of surface roads had us going in circles. The check-in line was outrageously long and took us more than two hours from entering the lobby until getting in our room. The front desk staff were EXTREMELY RUDE, totally unprofessional, kept mispronouncing our names, and the longer we stood there, the more money they wanted us to provide as a deposit! As it was they wanted $650 for us to stay for three nights!!!!!!!!!!!!

The front desk manager was so obnoxious we were actually standing there with our mouths open, and other guests checking in could overhear him belittling us, which was horrific. Even before checking in he accused us of "wanting to trash the room" and insinuated repeatedly that we "may smoke in the room". Neither one of us smoke, and in fact are both ALLERGIC to cigarette smoke, which is WHY I specifically chose a non-smoking hotel! The only reason we didn't walk out then was because it was a Saturday and rooms were pricey and already booked up.

The staff sneered at us despite my having pre-paid our first night on my debit card (which is a VISA). They spoke condescendingly and loudly and unprofessionally about us using our debit cards. I had to ask for mine back twice, and he (the front desk manager) held my friends card up and loudly said "THIS IS A DEBIT CARD"!!! When I reserved the room (with a lovely reservation agent on my debit card) never once did anyone disclose 'the fine print' about prices, security deposits and the true resort fee price and taxes. Those prices changed several times depending on who we spoke to at the front desk, and WE WERE HUMILIATED!!!!!

I worked for the Montage Beverly Hills from its opening and provided outstanding customer service on a daily basis and I must say I have NEVER BEEN treated SO poorly upon checking in anywhere. In addition, the hallways and room smelled like raw sewage. They sent us an inexpensive bottle of champagne (we think) to 'appease' us for the room smell but nobody called to explain, apologize or try to remedy the situation. So we decided NOT to spend another cent at Vdara, and moved to another hotel which upgraded us, took our debit cards WITHOUT a security deposit and treated us beautifully...even comping us a free breakfast AND dinner!!

I wrote my letter and know that Mr. Murren got it. So I gave them a chance to rectify the situation and make it up to me and my friend. I received a letter apologizing today. They asked us to COME BACK and they would upgrade us. FAT CHANCE! Never will I set foot in Vdara again. I will GLADLY got to the Venetian...and I recommend you all do the same.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
7 Thank kittykreidler
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2010

Spent 4 nights here as a surprise 40th birthday present.

Brand new hotel, very well located just back from the strip which connects very convenienty to The Bellagio and also boasts free access to the Hotel Monte Carlo via the free City Center monorial.

The hotel lobby is very chic, with a cool bar, nice restaurant and very helpful staff in particular the concierge. Rooms are all suites and were ultra modern and fantastic in terms of layout space and size. Very cool pool area too located on the roof.

A non casino hotel and as such it really is an oasis of calm in the party capital of the US. One nice touch is that the hotel has a constant aroma of figs in the lobby - sounds bizzare but it is actually a really nice smell.

Would wholeheartdely recommend this hotel anytime. Wondeful.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PaulYorath
dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2010

This was a great hotel to stay at. Once you walk in the smell gets you but in a good way. It sort of a jasmine vanilla scent. My gf said it gave it spa like feel. The hotel itself is really clean and modern. We never had to wait for an elevator to go to our room! but i think that might be because it wasn't as packed as most hotels there. For our trip we had booked 2 rooms, the panoramic suite for the first night then the regular deluxe suite for the rest of the week. The beds are super comfy you might not want to leave the room.

Panoramic Suite: Nice size room, Apt like feel but in a good way. We had a full size fridge and also a washer dryer. Windows were everywhere! the Blinds took awhile to figure out. i didn't know which ones were controlled by which switch, but once i got that figured out it was smooth sailing.

Deluxe Suite: Great room not too big no too small. We had plenty of room for friends to come over and hang out. main difference between this room and the panoramic room was of course the size of the room and this one only had a mini fridge.

Overall the stay was great and relaxing. Only complaint was that the walk from the strip was a little longer than expected as the only way to get there was either through the aria or through bellagio. I think this will be resolved once the Harmon gets finished and that art of the sidewalk gets opened up. Staying here you are away from the chaos that is Las Vegas. Not that the chaos is a bad thing. But once you're here its a nice way to unwind from the day and nights activities! I would definitely like to come back soon!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank vvasabi8
Chandler, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2010

We drove up from the Phoenix area after work and arrived in Las Vegas just before 10:00pm. Being regular visitors to Las Vegas, we had a general idea of where the Vdara Hotel & Spa was but did make the mistake of turning into the main City Center entrance instead of the Harmon Avenue entrance. After getting onto Harmon, we looked in vain for the self park. We were disappointed to learn that the hotel has only valet parking on site. It wasn't a cost issue, as the service is complimentary, but I am just a control freak so hate letting some hooligan behind the wheel of our car.

We waited only a minute or so for those in front of us to check in and then were greeted by a friendly staff member. We were soon on our way up to our 20th floor room in a very classy elevator with blue glass textured walls. Our room was equipped with a kitchenette, a spacious combo sleeping / living room, and a sparkling clean bathroom. Furnishings are modern with dark brown wood, tan walls and carpet, and citron colored accents. The beds are very plush. My wife loved the included bath robes and slippers. The TV was a relatively large LCD unit with a large selection of crystal clear HD channels. Wireless and wired internet are free for guests and are relatively speedy.

We had Mother's Day brunch at Silk Road restaurant. Chef Martin Heierling, who also oversees Sensi at the Bellagio, put together a tasty selection of food including homemade ginger ale, fresh fruit, Lox and bagels, homemade breads, eggs, bacon, chipotle sausage, salmon, beef sliders, apple french toast and banana nutella crepes.

Speaking of crepes, be sure to check out the Jean-Philippe Patisserie at the adjacent Aria Resort & Casino, for a truly decadent treat.

Although the hotel is quiet, smoke-free, and is a great place to decompress, it is conveniently a few hundred feet from Aria. There you will find the hustle and bustle of the casino floor, Cirque du Soleil's Viva Elvis, Haze nightclub, and several additional restaurant options including a reasonably priced buffet. The upscale shops and restaurants of Crystals at City Center, Planet Hollywood's Miracle Mile Shops, and the famous Fountains of Bellagio are within easy walking distance.

Our room overlooked the entrance to the hotel and the pool area, and the north entrance to Aria. We did not use the pool during this stay, but it appears there are a total of five pools / jetted tubs along with private cabanas and plenty of chaise lounges.

Aside from the annoyance of valet-only parking, we found two very minor issues in the hotel. First, the slick do not disturb / housekeeping requested indicator did not work initially. We notified the front desk and it was promptly repaired and worked flawlessly for the rest of our stay. Also, the sliding bathroom door was not hung quite plumb and was hard to latch. We notified the front desk on check out and the desk attendant noted it down for the maintenance staff to fix. Neither of these issues was a deal breaker and are to be expected in such a new hotel.

2 Thank JEFF_AND_HAZEL