“Sophisticated and relaxing”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Burtonsville, Maryland
“Sophisticated and relaxing”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I greatly enjoyed my recent 3-night stay at Vdara. I had a King Suite on the 17th floor with a view of the Aria across the street and the pool below. The room(s) was clean and very spacious, featuring a truly separate bedroom and full bath, as well as a sizeable sitting area, a kitchenette/dinning area, and powder room. The bath was huge. I appreciated the kitchenette and in-room washer-dryer (nice to take home clean cloths). The furniture was dark woods with sleek, modern lines, and comfortable.

Staff was friendly and helpful. I never doubted I was at a 5 star facility.

The location - slightly removed from the Strip, but easy walking distance from Aria, the Bellagio, and the Strip itself - was convenient, and I preferred not being in a casino. It was quiet and relaxing.

Minor point deductions:
a) one of the overhead lights in the dining area was burned out, and was never replaced during my stay (although I never specifically noted it to staff);
b) the WiFi required me to log back in after almost any brief interruption in use;
c) there was no support for an iPod or other portable electronics (e.g. no clock radio or stereo with a dock), although this is now common in many lesser hotels;
d) the headboard in my friend's room featured built-in outlets on either side, but these were not present in my room (and only one outlet was conveniently accessible) - more outlets would be nice;
e) the provided clock radio was unplugged, and I couldn't access the outlet (behind the headboard/nightstand) to plug it back in;
f) one of the bathroom sinks seemed only put out warm to hot water, and wouldn't dispense cold water after it had been warm (the other worked just fine); and
g) housekeeping failed to provide new complementary water after my first night (although I have no doubt this would have been quickly rectified had I mentioned it to the front desk).

See? Minor. And to be fair, I never complained about any of these to the staff, because they were insignificant to my overall enjoyment.

I would certainly come again. Vdara is certainly more expensive than some of the other hotels in the area, but from what little I saw of these other venues, Vdara's difference in quality clearly exceeded its difference in price.

I believe it was an excellent value and experience.

Room Tip: The hotel offers a view of the Bellagio fountains from some rooms. I did not have one of these room...
Green Features: Towel & sheet renewal program was fine. The supply was plentiful, and replacements were provided without problem.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Greg J
VdaraHotelSpa, Guest Relations Manager at Vdara Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Greg J,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your stay. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed your time with us. At Vdara, we are committed to providing an exceptional level of service to our guests and that seems to be exactly what you experienced. Thank you for your constructive feedback as well, our guests' feedback is the best way for us to continually improve our services. The accessible outlet problem you described is already being addressed as we are in the process of adding headboard outlets to all rooms, like in your friends. Thank you for choosing to stay at Vdara and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Best Regards,
Conor
Vdara Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,408)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This hotel is perfect if you want to be close enough to the action on the strip without having it surrounding you inside the hotel. There is no casino, and no restaurant that i could see. But a 1 minute walk across the street bring you in to Aria hotel with all its Vegas madness. I liked the chalm feel to Vdara, but if you are looking for a hedonistic vegas experience maybe try somewhere else. 1 thing i didnt like was the hotel pool Too small and nothing special really

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The room itself was lovely. We didn’t get a Strip View but we had a good view of the city, the mountains and the horizon which gave us great access to watching the lightning storm that happened during a monsoon.

The hotel itself is very small with the only food being a small (and pricey market). That wasn’t much of an issue as there was access to the Aria and the Bellagio that was relatively painless. I liked that about the place, because it made going to/from the hotel really easy and gave us decent access to the Strip. So location was perfect.

My main pet peeves were the following:
a) The fridge. It wouldn’t close properly unless you slammed it so I lost quite a bit of food. The staff did take a bit off my resort fee for the trouble.
b) Housekeeping, the first day they didn’t show up until late afternoon. We did figure out that if we called and requested they come up “early” like after 11 a.m., they would clean your room a bit sooner.
c) Wifi. It works great on mobile devices (iPad, iphone, etc) but it was extremely spotty on my laptop. I called tech support 3-4 times and they couldn’t do much but of course the minute they picked up the phone after being on hold, my wifi on my laptop began working. To add insult to injury, the hotel tacked those calls onto my bill! They did promptly reverse them though.

I admit, I really liked the hotel, it was clean, the bed was awesome and very inviting. The bathroom was nice and clean. I might want to stay there again one day. My problems were irksome but fixable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank stimpee525
Phoenix, Arizona, Usa
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The rooms are spacious. Very clean and relaxing atmosphere. Perfect for couples, families, friends, etc. Pool is smaller but still enough room to move around without feeling over crowded. Drinks are a little pricey but its vegas!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 588kristals
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The Vdara was built as condominiums, which explains why the suites are so large and have mini-kitchens. Apparently condominium owners rent out their suites most of the year. The room was immaculate and worthy of its 5 star rating. I chose this hotel because it has no casino (Las Vegas allows smoking, including cigar smoking, in its casinos) but the Bellagio is right next door across and walkway and Caesar's Palace is one more hotel over. So you don't have all the frat boys in their tank tops in your hotel but can visit whenever you want. There is an elegant although not spectacular bar in the lobby that is less expensive than other high end hotel bars and has a limited selection of excellent small plate foods. I didn't use the pool but it looked fine. Two minor problems kept this from a top rating. The hotel is hard to find, up a ramp in the City Center complex, so you should have a good GPS system with you. The other problem was that, unlike most hotels, there were no linens or blankets in the room for the pull-out bed. I did not discover this until 11:30 p.m. and after two calls to housekeeping, I had to go to the lobby where there was a giant line and the bellman's desk told me it wasn't their job. After they finally arrived, the pull-out mattress was extremely uncomfortable with no padding on top of the springs. It was just weird that a fancy hotel would have such cheap warehouse style mattresses. The valet parking was free and I didn't feel any pressure from lobby vultures wanting tips; if anything this hotel seems understaffed. The price was very reasonable and I would definitely stay here again but if you are the type who likes the loud all night atmosphere of Vegas, you might prefer something else.

Room Tip: Watch out if you need to use the sofa bed.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank danny_kent1
Paris, France

Positives :
Suite is very nice - nice earthtones, simple but stylish, great pillows.
Turndown staff are excellent.

Negatives :
Front desk staff AWFUL. Long waits for checkin. Vague. Condescending. Unacceptable.
Concierge incompetent and not attentive. Sent me on a wild goose chase to a close store. Could be bothered.
Slight sewer smell in bathroom.

Overall - NEEDS IMPROVEMENT. Big time. I'd give it a C+

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Hegira
VdaraHotelSpa, Guest Relations Manager at Vdara Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Hegira,

Thank you for taking the time to document your concerns. On behalf of the hotel I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you encountered regarding the front desk and concierge during your stay. At Vdara we make every effort to provide an exceptional experience for our guests and your treatment does not seem indicative of that standard. A member of out guest relations team will be reaching out to further discuss your experience. We value you as a guest and assure you we continually work to improve our services. We hope you will give us a second chance in the near future.

Best Regards,
Conor
Vdara Guest Relations
El Paso, Texas, Usa
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Great staff overall. Very clean. I loved that it did not have a casino and it's a non smoking hotel. It's great place if you are taking kids. They don't have to deal with the smoke or gambling areas. Only thing is, if someone is sleeping in the sofa bed you need to ask for a feather top with extra comforters so your back won't hurt.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family