“A nice change from the vibe of the strip.”
Review of Vdara Hotel & Spa

Vdara Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Ottawa, ON
“A nice change from the vibe of the strip.”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This modern hotel is just off the strip and is not itself a casino. Smoke free! It's a healthy walk to the strip. Don't bother with the shuttle. I had a regular room on the 27th floor. Spectacular views of the mountains.

The kitchen in the room looked fantastic but was not stocked with utensils, cookery, plate-ware. There was a card indicating that you could request items for the kitchen, but this seemed odd and counter-productive considering they'd gone to the trouble.

The iron was locked to the ironing board with a cable. I have never seen this before. Didn't mind using water from a water-bottle or a cup from the bathroom to fill the iron, but it was a little odd.

Absolutely no AC-power beside the bed to plug in your phone, that was not already surrounded by the bed frame/sidetables . For a new hotel, this is clearly an oversight and an annoying one if you have to get up and walk across the room to get your charging phone, laptop, etc.

Wifi worked ok. Had to sign-in repeatedly with my Iphone, but it was free and was very fast.

Really beautiful bathroom, separate shower with bench, giant tub (be careful, it's prone to spilling at the slightest move in there), plenty of comfortable big towels, superb toiletries.

There's a shop near the lobby that sells almost everything and is reasonably priced for Vegas. Food, booze, everything.

Keep your key handy as you walk toward the elevator as a security guard will ask to see it (just a quick flash) everytime you head back to your room.

I'd stay again, definitely, but the few little details missed mildly skewed my appreciation.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Stu_W1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,425)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Las Vegas, Nevada, Usa
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This is a great hotel with top of the line services. If youare looking for a non-gaming hotel on the strip this is the place. I would bring my kids next time as Vdara would not expose them to the gaming.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Paul R
Los Angeles, California, Usa
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Absolutely loved this property. Very peaceful and NO SMOKE anywhere! The pictures simply don't do this hotel justice. I can't see myself staying anywhere else when I visit Vegas in the future. Free valet service, friendly staff and super pleasant atmosphere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Robert M
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 28, 2013

The positives of Vdara are the following:
1. Entire place is smoke free including lobby.
2. Quiet
3. All suites so you get a kitchen and even washer/dryer
4. nice, quiet spa and gym
5. easy indoor walk to Bellagio
6. Free shuttle to Aria and Crystal shopping
7. Check-in line never that long compared to big hotels.
8. We never had a problem getting a cab even though there was a taxi strike
9. Food and bar in the lobby but for hotel guests so only people there staying in the hotel
10. We found the service excellent although there are some complaints from other people on trip advisor. Think they have sorted it out.

Room Tip: We paid for an upgrade as the smallest suite is more like a studio. We had 3 people and it would ha...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank alexandhoney
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I stayed at the Vdara for four nights in April 2012. It was very new, only recently opened I believe, and its design is very modern and fashionable. The check in procedure was very slow as there were only two staff to deal with large numbers waiting to check in. The room - a suite with kitchen - was very comfortable and quiet. I did find it odd that the kitchen had no utensils to use for cooking or even cutlery for eating. I had to ask for a knife, fork and spoon to be brought to my room so I could eat. The cafe downstairs is very small and was often very crowded. This seemed not have been thought through. But generally a pleasant stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank GrahaminAdelaide
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 28, 2013

First the good- the rooms are spacious. We had 2 city corner suites and the space is great. Living room, giant bathroom with a separate shower and bath, dual vanity and a large bedroom that is the size of a standard hotel room. Not to mention the kitchen and the washer dryer which is a huge plus traveling with a family. If you ask housekeeping (which btw was amazing- left a note with my tip everyday and they were so responsive) they will give you detergent and fabric softener (fyi- we have the same machines at home, and you're not supposed to use dryer sheets but oh well). The pool is small, but there are a ton of chairs and best of all an amazing number of umbrellas. The water is heated and extremely clear and very clean. My kids enjoyed this part the most. I'm sure most Trip Advisor people know about the Bellagio view (which we had for 1 of our rooms) and the various amenities so I won't go into that too much.

I won't call any of the following bad, but these are things that prevented me from giving a 5 star review. The resort fee is a fact of life everywhere you travel now so I don't mind paying ($25 per day). However, the "included" wifi was terrible. I was better off using my phone's LTE connection. I know I'm on vacation, but like most travelers, I bring a ton of devices (phones, tablets, blackberry) and the outlets in the room are in places that are not convenient. None near the bed (so you can't charge and use your device) and none near tables (so your devices charge on the floor). The safe is thin- so not really convenient for a tablet or laptop (but I wasn't too worried about security). Lastly, no USB ports. I know small these are small points, but a new property should have thought about these things.

Next is the food. There is a store downstairs called Cafe Dara and lots of newer properties have similar stores. It's meant to be a cheaper option than a full service restaurant (but obviously more expensive then a typical deli). However, the prices were too high. I don't mind spending money on vacation, but as an example, to get breakfast for a party of 7 (5 adults, 2 kids) we had to spend at least $100. Going to the Cosmopolitan buffet (which we did 3 times and was amazing) cost $150 (without tip). I think for the extra $50 dollars you get so much more and it's a no brainer. Its good in a pinch, but really, not worth the cost.

The couch is a pull-out, which we used for our 2 kids. The bed is awful. We always do this when we travel (have our girls share a pull-out couch if there isn't an extra bed) and we know what is possible in terms of quality. The bed used at the Vdara for the pull-out was the worst I have ever felt. The springs are spaced about 6-8 inches apart and they have way too much give. I think an adult would have an extremely hard time sleeping on it. Kids (ours are 8 and 4) should be ok because they are light, but ours said it was still too lumpy. Housekeeping will bring an "pad" but its thin. I think whoever was in charge of purchasing the sofas did not do a good job (sorry- but its true). Like I said, I know for a fact its completely possible to have much better options.

All Vegas properties perfume the common areas (and Vdara advertises the scent sticks they use and tells you how to purchase them). The scent was too strong. Not overpowering, but still, too strong.

One last note- I didn't think the walkway to the Bellagio was too long at all. It's really a fast 10 minute walk. Everything in Vegas is a haul. The hotels all look close because of their scale, but walking from casino to casino you realize how far things are. I thought the location is great.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank BrooklynByte
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My wife and I decided to take a March break and get away from the snow and cold...at least for a few days. After looking at our options in Las Vegas, we chose the Vdara for a three-night stay. We aren't big gamblers...(we went more for the break and to see a few shows)...so the idea of a non-casino hotel sounded pretty good.

Upon arrival at ~ 5:00 PM, check-in was quick and efficient. Yes, there is the painfully annoying $25 per day resort fee but at least the hotel was upfront about it. (I think it's about time some legislation comes into place that forces hotels to advertise their rates all-in...the nickel-and-diming with extra charges can put travellers in a sour mood right from the start).

The room itself (ours was on the 24th floor) was great...extremely spacious and clean with a nice view facing the Aria across the street. The bed was VERY comfortable. The bathroom was also great with a large counter, a huge tub, and good-sized shower. We had no issues with noise/sound coming from any direction (either inside or outside). The wifi gave us a bit of an issue but worked well for the most part. I'm not sure why the Vdara bothered with the in-suite kitchens. There are no kitchen utensils or dishes in the cupboards, nor are there any coffee fixings...although he fridge did come in handy to store our drinks. (Note to Vdara: Coffee makers/fixings are pretty much standard equipment in hotels these days...particularly those charging big resort fees).

The lack of casino, restaurants, etc didn't bother us in the slightest...that's one of the reasons we chose the Vdara. The Aria and Bellagio (both sister hotels) are on either side of the Vdara and have plenty of casino space and restaurants to choose from...and you can even charge your meals to your room at the Vdara.

My wife took advantage of the Vdara's salon. Making an appointment was easy; she called in the morning and got in on that same day without a problem. The other quirk (in a good way) of the Vdara is the scent in the lobby area...the lobby is very much given a spa/salon type of smell. My wife liked it so much that she bought scent sticks in the same aroma so that we can now relive our visit to the Vdara each day at home...lol.

If you want to be near the action and the Strip, then the Vdara is probably not for you...(yes, it is a convoluted long walk from the Strip). For us, however, we appreciated the ability to get away from the casinos and strip (and smoky smell) after a day of being engulfed in it. We would go back to the Vdara.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple